• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Village Maiden Demo on PS5 available Jan 21, 2021

bender

What time is it?
Exactly... the model is PL51D8000.
It was the TOP Plasma in 2012.
IMO I can only see OLED matching the image quality of my old partner.

Until that OLED suffers from burn-in after two years and then you switch to LCD to not worry about such trivial concerns, at least that's how you explain putting up with light bloom from the dimming zones.

Thaedolus

only thing i wanted to share is that the tall lady has claws now :)

XL3hiVS.jpg
IoA04au.jpg

Dr_Salt

So you can actually read all the locations on the map including something that further proves my theory that this game is just a template for RE4remake.

There is a huge fish monster in the lake.

Doesn't make any sense, but OK. It's obviously not enough.

Still, if you're not picky, you won't have to pay more than $60 ever. Just might have to wait a bit.
I mean the video game industry is incredibly profitable. It’s definitely ‘enough’. I’ll pay 70 bucks for the odd Sony exclusive I’m really into but if it becomes an industry wide thing. Yeah I dunno about that.

Stuart360

Just watched Gamespots demo playthrough. I think the game looks really cool. Loved some of the detail on the architecture. The lighting looked good as well. Sure its not a huge jump over Resi Evil 7, but i think it would look like a solid next gen title if they could just up the texture resolution for the final game, which i hope they do.
You have to also take into account the settings the game is using. The game may well end up being 4k/60, and there are some last gen games that XSX and PS5 would struggle to run at 4k/60, so you cant expect miracles.

cripterion

Low resolution textures in many objects, low poly objects that stick out (those statues in the walls in that circular room) and when you look at the main hall from the balcony I could notice some slight slowdown which could be a bad sign considering that isn't a complex room.

And I can't stand first person in RE...I really tried but that will be another main RE on ignore list....

Honestly franchise is dead to me, first person horseshit with vamps/witches and werewolves, what the hell were they thinking?

The gameplay showcase was hilariously bad. Add to that crossgen to the list...

It lasts like 10 minutes and looks exactly like REVII on a PS4 slim. I don't know what these devs are smoking if they think this actually looks next gen.
So? Have you played anything released during last gen first 3 years? Like or not games are extremely expensive to make and with next gen supply problem it would extremely stupid to abandon a user base of over 150 million (PS4+Xbone).

Regardless what's important here is the gameplay, graphics has had diminiahimg returns for years and i think next gen is going to focus more on data steaming, 4k and performance.

DarkPassenger8

Neo Member
I am not sure how many of you played the initial REVII demos (Kitchen, Beginning Hour) but there was a mannequin finger that did not find its use until one of the demos was later updated closer to the full game's release. Doing some special easter egg hunting basically got you an extra coin in the main game and a nod to all the people who spent hours searching every corner of the demo before and after all the updates.

Basically, for those who found the necklace in this new demo and are wondering why it may not have had any use, this may be the "mannequin finger" for the REVIII demo, as there are weapon trinkets (like necklaces) that can be used in the full game and will likely act similarly to the previous game's coins. So, there may be updates to this demo in due time which may open additional possibilities and areas to explore (not to mention there may be things we have yet to discover, although it is a fairly short demo so my hopes are not too high).

Overall, I think it did exactly what it said it would do as a visual showcase and I am quite excited for the full game!

Moogle11

Banned
Just finished the demo. Just ok and not super next gen looking to me visually. Audio was quite good once I went in and turned in the virtual surround. I’d set it to headphones before starting but either missed that setting at the start or it’s not there and just in the options once you start the game.

I liked the setting and great atmosphere as usual for an RE game.

Crazy how some people think this looks like a PS4 game, or even worse, like RE7, which was a PSVR game. Probably the same ones that said the Unreal demo for PS5 didn’t look next gen either. Now let’s wait and see how the actual PS4 version of RE Village will look like...

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Yeah the HDR great, this shot here although it don't seem like it in the picture is very bright with deep blacks
OdnF9du.jpg
I know it’s crazy right?
so much freaking detail in the dark.
srsly blown away by HDR in this game..

Normally it mostly like.. LOOK NEON!!!
Not this game super subtle at times.

JeloSWE

There were raytracing in the stairway hall, not very visible on the floor but it's there for some stuff. To me the best part is how good and well it plays at 60fps. I'll take this look any day at 60 over more fidelity at 30. Great job Capcom.

Droxcy

The use of mega scans i can tell the difference and the HDR seemed balanced looked next gen enough for my girlfriend

JeloSWE

One thing I'm always thinking of when playing these games. Who is running around and maintaining all the candles and torches?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The wooden staircase and that entire room is engrossing. It makes me want to play more or explore more. The lady is kind of a giveaway. I like my main enemies to be a mystery, but that’s ok. I’ll definitely enjoy this. Considering it is a tech demo, there’s so much more I wanted to do, but I couldn’t. I want to bash the barrels and open up another door. The classic RE of examining an item and it be a key item is always great to return to. I didn’t like Amnesia for the limited mobility and interaction. Switches and push objects get tedious and boring after a while. Which is why I like this new style of RE. It hints upon horror and the things that RE4 made so great. I’m fine with this style. RE6 showed us a little bit of what pushing the envelope can do to a classic formula. I’m glad they’re taking it slow with Village. I just wonder if I’m the only person thinking they’re revealing a lot of this game with the Lady and the other girls. I read all the papers and it all makes sense. The backstory or the history behind the place. I want more of this story and I want to see more. I still feel like they’re showing a lot of the main cast of enemies already. I could be wrong and I know I want to be wrong. Overall I can’t wait till it comes out.

Last edited:

JonkyDonk

Tried the demo just now. It looks really nice and has some good sound design too. Felt a couple of frame drops in the main room but hopefully it will all be ironed out in the final release. The PS Store page mentions ray tracing, but I don't know if this demo has it; maybe the shadows are RT?

RayHell

It look great, some texture aren't super high but hold up as a whole. Environments are really well designed. 3D sound is amazing, binaural audio give a sense of presence. Very good first impression to me.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I thought it was great! Sure it was short but it wasnt intended to be a full meaty demo. Like someone else said i wonder what the necklace was for? After seeing how nuts everyone went for the RE7 demo and the finger and searching for things to where they updated that demo with new content, im hoping that means this demo gets updated too or maybe well be able to do something with it in the other demo they said was coming. Anyways, day 1 for me i cant wait!

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
3sXMda2.jpg

Visually nice but it does look pretty close to RE7 with better frame-rate.

Is there an alternate ending I wonder?

I don't hate P.T. but I hate what its done to survival horror genre.
robert-downey-jr-face-palm.gif
Do you mean first person perspective or something else?

Smooth 60? I recall rumours from insiders claiming PS5 hardware having troubles with the game, unlike Xbox.
I bet the ps4 and xbo will be super choppy, but this was pretty stable for the most part. The only place it may drop a few frames is in the big room with the ray tracing reflections on the floors.

For anyone that's played the demo.

Does it match up with Dusk Golems claims on the game?
That guy is/was full of shit.

Does the demo have ray tracing?
Not sure about the lighting, but there is a room with shiny reflective marble floors for sure.

Yeah, the textures in some of the areas look last gen as in PS3 levels. It is most notable on the walls that have all that gold trim etc. It looks really bad. I don't think it is 60, but I do know when I played the chandelier area got really bad frame rate wise. Otherwise it looked pretty good..but nothing that blows me away.
It's hilarious to me when people say ps1/2/3 graphics without hyperbole. Like did you forget how bad those graphics are compared to this lol.

A good plasma looks far better than a 4k lcd. They even give OLED a good run for their money.
Definitely better than an lcd, but idk about being close to the color range or brightness of oled.

It lasts like 10 minutes and looks exactly like REVII on a PS4 slim. I don't know what these devs are smoking if they think this actually looks next gen.
I mean maybe a single frame could be mistaken, but the frame-rate is so far ahead of RE7 on ps4... Also it's not next gen, it's cross gen. They definitely started out targeting the current gen.

The wooden staircase and that entire room is engrossing. It makes me want to play more or explore more. The lady is kind of a giveaway. I like my main enemies to be a mystery, but that’s ok. I’ll definitely enjoy this. Considering it is a tech demo, there’s so much more I wanted to do, but I couldn’t. I want to bash the barrels and open up another door. The classic RE of examining an item and it be a key item is always great to return to. I didn’t like Amnesia for the limited mobility and interaction. Switches and push objects get tedious and boring after a while. Which is why I like this new style of RE. It hints upon horror and the things that RE4 made so great. I’m fine with this style. RE6 showed us a little bit of what pushing the envelope can do to a classic formula. I’m glad they’re taking it slow with Village. I just wonder if I’m the only person thinking they’re revealing a lot of this game with the Lady and the other girls. I read all the papers and it all makes sense. The backstory or the history behind the place. I want more of this story and I want to see more. I still feel like they’re showing a lot of the main cast of enemies already. I could be wrong and I know I want to be wrong. Overall I can’t wait till it comes out.
So is it safe to say the full game will have more interactions with the objects around the place? Because that’s what kinda killed it for me

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
One thing bothers me about this demo is, they went to trouble to make the game in first person for sake of "immersion" but they couldn't animate a hand picking stuff up or opening doors?

JonkyDonk

One thing bothers me about this demo is, they went to trouble to make the game in first person for sake of "immersion" but they couldn't animate a hand picking stuff up or opening doors?
There is no proper character model in this demo, in the actual game you see Ethan's hands as he does stuff.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
There is no proper character model in this demo, in the actual game you see Ethan's hands as he does stuff.
But I’m guessing even in the full game our character will pick stuff and opening doors without any animation.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
So is it safe to say the full game will have more interactions with the objects around the place? Because that’s what kinda killed it for me
Oh god yes. Even in the preview Ethan or the shown character was breaking a pot. There of course will be items in drawers and shelves. It of course will probably have the video game limitations of not being able to break everything, but you have to remember that you’re also collecting ammo, items, notes, and all sorts of stuff along the way. In RE7 you could make your own ammo or healing items, so there’s crafting. This was basically a PT type of demo. The meat of the demo is to basically take your hand and let you experience the world. IMO this demo is of someone who tried escaping. It has nothing to do with Ethan. The demo character is basically someone who got caught before the actual game’s events occurred. You have puzzles, crafting, secrets, and weapons. This demo cannot be a proper representation of the full game. It’s mainly to welcome people into the world before actually playing the main game.

Things could change and it might be different. I do not honestly believe the actual game has this much limitation to it. From past experience until now. It could possibly be in the game, but given to us differently. The location for sure could be in the game and maybe the puzzles. I do think there will be lots of items to collect.

The biggest give away is that it’s a “Visual Demo”, meaning it’s a specific demo designed for a purpose. That’s a huge red flag right there.

In my opinion, forget about this demo. The real game should be nothing like this.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Kind of torn. I liked RE7 but looking back at it, the demo and opening hour of the final game felt a bit squandered. For the first time in the series, it was terrifying. Once you started to get equipped with weapons and what not, it turned more into your traditional RE style of game (not so scary) but from a fist person perspective. The Village demo is lovely but I can't say it did much to frighten me. It's RE so I'll be there day one regardless.

Top Bottom