• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Village Director Morimasa Sato: The Biggest Surprise You Could Possibly Imagine Awaits Ethan Winters

Fbh

Ethan walks out of the castle, having barely survived multiple trials.

"Weird...it...it almost feels like..... ZE WIND IS PUSHING MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!"

Revealing RE Village was a prologue for Dragons Dogma 2 all along!

martino

He will die and then a main character of the licence replace him (played in third person ) ?
impossibru.gif but the best move they can make imo

SkylineRKR

There are a few possibilities.

Ethan dies after the prologue, is being replaced by Chris.
Ethan turns out to be a bioweapon himself. This would explain Chris' actions.

The guy can regen after all. He survived the Bakers incident. Mia turned out to have a sinister past. He's not a regular guy. He's too boring of a character to base another full game on. I really wonder if we play the entire thing with him.

Arachnid

First thought I had when seeing this headline was "Oh God, they're gonna make Ethan a secret Wesker clone aren't they." I'm really hoping it's not something that stupid
They don’t even need to make a clone. It's not that crazy of a theory either. There are literally hundreds of surviving Wesker children from project Wesker all over the world, lorewise. The 13 that were given the virus that gave Wesker his abilities were just the most promising (though only Albert and Alex were the survivors). Alex wanted to infect them all to make more of her and Albert.

None of the Wesker children are related by blood though. They’re the product of a eugenics program helmed by Doctor Wesker (and Spencer) so they were all just given his surname. They’re all the genetic cream of the crop from their respective races, but without Alberts abilities (Alex survived the infection stage but didn’t get Alberts abilities because she had a degenerative condition; that’s why she transferred her subconscious into Natalia in Revelations).

killatopak

Gold Member
Ethan dies in the beginning of RE7 and a "mold copy' of him is made... That's why the character can do all the bs in the game (like reattaching his hand).
Is it really a mold copy or is he just infected with the mold?

I mean his hand got stapled back after all. I imagine if he was a copy then attaching his hand back wouldn’t make much sense.

There were plenty of in game documents suggesting that he was level 2 infected at the end of RE7. For reference, level one is increased regeneration, level two is hallucination of Evelyn, and level 3 is basically all the molded monsters and baker family.

Last edited:

Aion002

Is it really a mold copy or is he just infected with the mold?

I mean his hand got stapled back after all. I imagine if he was a copy then attaching his hand back wouldn’t make much sense.

There were plenty of in game documents suggesting that he was level 2 infected at the end of RE7. For reference, level one is increased regeneration, level two is hallucination of Evelyn, and level 3 is basically all the molded monsters and baker family.
I think that is a copy. Evelyn wanted to have a family, so Ethan and Mia would be the parents and the Bakers the grandparents (that's why she baited him to the farm), however Jack kills Ethan in the beginning, so to fix things Eve makes a copy of him with the mold. My guess is that she wanted him to be close to normal, that's why he is a level 2. Also, when Ethan wakes up, he is in the table with the rest of the family fulfilling his role, something goes wrong for Eve and the copy becomes independent and gets out of control. That also explains why Ethan doesn't show his personality, the mold just have the memories so ot acts based on those, as the game progress the mold is creating a new character (basically giving the player the control over it's choices), which culminates with the player being able to choose who Ethan should save at the end (Mia or Zoe), if Ethan was still alive, there wouldn't be a choice, it would be up to the character... At least that's what I think.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

The big surprise is

He was killed at the start of RE7, I guess he really was regular and couldn't do shit. Mold regens him and makes him sort of immortal. Mia thats being offed by Chris isn't Mia, but the antagonist posing as Mia. Chris knew, didn't tell Ethan.

These are the surprises in store for him probably.

Aion002

What a lazy way to write a boring character.
Well, when the character looks like this:

9caa77c3112ad4d1ebd88f8fb2ffda92.jpg

Chuck Grassley GIF by GIPHY News

He is probably a cousin of this other "amazing" character:

FC3_cutout_jason.png

* That idiot from Far Cry 3.

But how does Ethan KNOW that he is able to reattach his hand if he doesn't know he has regenerative powers?
If you've actually played the game and tried to escape Jack in the beginning you'd know he'd taunt Ethan by cutting off his foot and putting a Health bottle while he tells you to come and get the foot.

Aion002

But how does Ethan KNOW that he is able to reattach his hand if he doesn't know he has regenerative powers?
Well, a mold would know, and he doesn't even question that, he just do it and acts like is normal.

He is the only RE character that is injured during the story that doesn't have a recovering time... He just gets hit during the story and acts like nothing happened, different from Leon on RE2 or Jill on RE3, for example. He is basically Wolverine in the story.

Last edited:

Excess

I think that is a copy. Evelyn wanted to have a family, so Ethan and Mia would be the parents and the Bakers the grandparents (that's why she baited him to the farm), however Jack kills Ethan in the beginning, so to fix things Eve makes a copy of him with the mold. My guess is that she wanted him to be close to normal, that's why he is a level 2. Also, when Ethan wakes up, he is in the table with the rest of the family fulfilling his role, something goes wrong for Eve and the copy becomes independent and gets out of control. That also explains why Ethan doesn't show his personality, the mold just have the memories so ot acts based on those, as the game progress the mold is creating a new character (basically giving the player the control over it's choices), which culminates with the player being able to choose who Ethan should save at the end (Mia or Zoe), if Ethan was still alive, there wouldn't be a choice, it would be up to the character... At least that's what I think.
I'm not going to put this in spoilers because the title of the thread should be enough warning, but..

That's not entirely how the mold works. The mold is like a virus that will cause mutations in its victims. And while it also holds the information and memories of its victims, it doesn't mean the current host needs to be copied. Many can survive after infection, and Miranda is the first example of this. She discovered the mold only after being infected.

Eveline is basically the first of BOW experiments to successfully host the mold as a "copy". As for Ethan, he's the anomaly because death does not cause his body extreme mutation, and as an extension, it's implied that Rose also has these powers, which is why Miranda wanted her. He's not really "dead" in any sense of the word. He's more a super-human with immortality, the final form that Umbrella was looking to achieve with its experiments.

Aion002

I'm not going to put this in spoilers because the title of the thread should be enough warning, but..

That's not entirely how the mold works. The mold is like a virus that will cause mutations in its victims. And while it also holds the information and memories of its victims, it doesn't mean the current host needs to be copied. Many can survive after infection, and Miranda is the first example of this. She discovered the mold only after being infected.

Eveline is basically the first of BOW experiments to successfully host the mold as a "copy". As for Ethan, he's the anomaly because death does not cause his body extreme mutation, and as an extension, it's implied that Rose also has these powers, which is why Miranda wanted her. He's not really "dead" in any sense of the word. He's more a super-human with immortality, the final form that Umbrella was looking to achieve with its experiments.
At the end of the game, when the "core" of the mold dies, Ethan also dies. So he is not infected, he is part of the mold.

Aion002

He's not dead.
I hope he is and I don't see why Capcom would bring him back. :messenger_anxious:

Unless you argue that he now inhabits Rose's body, like the mold lives through his daughter sharing his mind or something... Which is quite possible.

Last edited:

Excess

I hope he is and I don't see why Capcom would bring him back. :messenger_anxious:

Unless you argue that he now inhabits Rose's body, like the mold lives through his daughter sharing his mind or something... Which is quite possible.
Free Cam mods exposed that the character walking up to the vehicle in the epilogue is Ethan. So there's two scenarios: He could still be alive and now it's Rose who will have to save him in the next installment, or it's just a hallucination. The cool touch is that Ethan is not wearing his jacket, which Rose now wears.

Last edited:

Aion002

Free Cam mods exposed that the character walking up to the vehicle in the epilogue is Ethan. So there's two scenarios: He could still be alive and now it's Rose who will have to save him in the next installment, or it's just a hallucination. The cool touch is that Ethan is not wearing his jacket, which Rose now wears.

Cool, I didn't know that. But I bet in a hallucination or the mind share thing.

Top Bottom