• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Village Director Morimasa Sato: The Biggest Surprise You Could Possibly Imagine Awaits Ethan Winters

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In the latest EDGE magazine (April 2021, Issue 356), Resident Evil Village director Morimasa Sato teased that fans can expect to find a huge surprise on Ethan's path in the full game.

The biggest surprise you could possibly imagine awaits Ethan Winters in this story. What that is, you'll have to see for yourself!

Sato-san also revealed that some CAPCOM developers would have wanted to go back to the traditional third-person viewpoint, but he pushed to keep Resident Evil Village a first-person game instead.

There were originally some opinions within the team saying that third person perspective might bring a different kind of combat experience, but I believe that the first person perspective allows us to express the more up-close-and-personal fear and desperation of the story of Ethan Winters.

Of course, Resident Evil Village will feature plenty of horrifying moments, which will be all the more impressive to witness in the first-person view.

As you know, one of the central themes of the Resident Evil series is horror or fear, and I would just warn you not to take anything you've seen so far as an indication that you can relax in terms of horror content! There are plenty of intense and horrifying scenes in the game, but we've chosen to leave those for you to experience by yourself.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I can imagine quite a few things.
  • It was all a dream (I used to read Word Up magazine)
  • Ethan is Rebecca
  • Ethan loses an arm and a leg to represent the costs to their credibility Capcom incur from these shitty side games they insist on bundling
  • Ethan was dead the whole time
  • Ethan is an anagram of thane, and eventually Ethan wakes up in the Skyrim intro cart
  • Ethan is a relative of tall lady

Hugare

The whole story was leaked already, unfortunately

From what I've seen, it will be better than RE 7

At least the budget seems much higher

sublimit

Banned
We all know it's going to be "big".
062c780fe3869cde2e5ecbcdb940fd98ada6fcf0.gif

Last edited:

SuperGooey

It's literally the most predictable "surprise" you can think of. Likely the first thing that popped into your head when reading this.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
You can romance the tall vamp boobie lady! Calling it now. You have to give her gifts and choose the correct dialogue options. The game ends with a wedding between them.

First thought I had when seeing this headline was "Oh God, they're gonna make Ethan a secret Wesker clone aren't they." I'm really hoping it's not something that stupid
Not this, but he's probably an ex - Umbrella employee who lost his memory or he's lying about his past
There's a small reference to an homonymous Umbrella scientist in re5, and in re7 he's way too capable to survive, for a complete no one, showing he could have received some kind of training

And he maybe has superpowers lol

Last edited:

SCB3

Not this, but he's probably an ex - Umbrella employee who lost his memory or he's lying about his past
There's a small reference to an homonymous Umbrella scientist in re5, and in re7 he's way too capable to survive, for a complete no one, showing he could have received some kind of training

And he maybe has superpowers lol

Capable? Mothfucker loses his hand and his foot at one point and barely mutters a scream in pain before the magic juice reattached them

fart town usa

Gold Member
My dream would be that RE7 is on a different timeline, and that it's actually a prequel to the remake of RE4. I'd love if Capcom just ended the main timeline and made is so all future games are free from the OG RE4/5/6 lore. It would allow them to rewrite Chris/Leon, etc. Those characters have jumped the shark unfortunately and I really don't see how Capcom can reel them back in in terms of the player being able to identify with them. They're just too 1 dimensional and predictable at this point.

I don't think this will happen though.

SCB3

My dream would be that RE7 is on a different timeline, and that it's actually a prequel to the remake of RE4. I'd love if Capcom just ended the main timeline and made is so all future games are free from the OG RE4/5/6 lore. It would allow them to rewrite Chris/Leon, etc. Those characters have jumped the shark unfortunately and I really don't see how Capcom can reel them back in in terms of the player being able to identify with them. They're just too 1 dimensional and predictable at this point.

I don't think this will happen though.

If they hadn't have brought Chris into 7, then yea a different time in the universe would've worked and you could have split the series up into 3 distinct styles of game

Aion002

Ethan dies in the first 5 minutes of the game...Is all I hope. But knowing Capcom, they will probably make him a vampire or having some Wesker/Alexia wannabe type of powers.

Bramble

We start the game with big tall lady, she get's saved by Ethan and then kills him for unknown reasons. Then we switch over to Ethan's wife seeking revenge for the first halve of the game and after that we take control of big tall lady to see her side of the story.

Madflavor

I don't think Ethan is boring at all. In fact I thought it was really refreshing in Resident Evil 7 to have a protagonist that wasn't a super soldier, or already had some form of training. He was just a random guy. He wasn't as cool as Leon or Chris, but he was more relatable.

SJRB

Gold Member
Capable? Mothfucker loses his hand and his foot at one point and barely mutters a scream in pain before the magic juice reattached them
It's kinda wild how often he gets stabbed and just shrugs it off.

jaysius

Banned
You go into the attic of tall ladies house and find out that Ethan and tall lady are actually lesbian lovers.

Kuranghi

I've been thinking (hoping?) that RE:Village is secretly the RE4 Remake, hence the insistence on calling it Village and not 8. The twist would be that Ethan dies or becomes a BOW near the start and then you play as someone else, maybe Chris? Instead of Leon in the original RE4.

You do see Ethan getting his "wrist sucked" by Chesty La Rue in the trailers which would indicate he will get infected by them at the very least, assuming they have a/the virus and aren't just something different. They said it will tie back into the main virus storyline though so I don't see why they wouldn't have the virus.

If its not a remake in disguise then maybe it will be like Quake IV and - spoilers - he becomes a BOW near the start but with "free will" and you still play as him and people will start to like the character more because you'll be a badass destructo-monster, maybe being a double agent to both sides, ie Chris's "nu-Umbrella" corporation + Hooty McBoob and/or Telekinetic Van Helsing.

assurdum

Banned
A long sex scene with the mother of the vampyr? Can't imagine anything of more surprising

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Wasn't there some dumbass leak that revealed like everything about the game?

I'm guessing people know what it is already?

I was wondering if they're doing some kind of MGS2 protag swap thing somewhere in the game. Maybe Ethan dies and we play as Chris? One can hope.

Belmonte

The Vampire Ladies transforms into a group of bats, Ethan start screaming like a little girl. Chris isn't there because he is busy punching bolders. When Lady Dimitrescu is going for the kill, she turns to the camera and says: "What?! Who is there?" A shadow figure appears in the door, the horror music disappears completely.

We see a whip and Bloody Tears starts playing.

Top Bottom