• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Village demo: No download, no powerful hardware,one click, only 15MB internet required

nkarafo

To everyone who is claiming they don't notice additional input lag:

There is additional input lag, wether you notice it or not.

K' Dash

The future of gaming.
3IOi1pj.png

The future is going back region locked games again, and not being able to do shit about it.

If you think a VPN is a viable solution I don't know what to tell you.

Reactions: Fbh

Trogdor1123

Tried it on my phone and frankly it was better than expected. Still pretty laggy though. It probably would be okish on a decent hardline imo

I have 500 meg internet (50 up), I use a eero mesh that is all hardlined and my nearest access point is about 15 feet away with no walls in between.

I used an iPhone 12 to play it

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Tried it from Edge browser worked flawlessly. Touch amount of lag though but impressive how it worked hassle free.

To everyone who is claiming they don't notice additional input lag:

There is additional input lag, wether you notice it or not.
I think the point is that it doesn't really matter. Some console games running natively have 150 ms of latency. The average last gen was 100 ms, now it's around 70 ms iirc. Either way, adding 20-30ms of latency to that via streaming is not a big deal. 99% of console gamers don't even know that consoles have input lag, that means they didn't even notice the ~100 ms of latency.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont follow the metrics where xxx bandwidth = yyy streaming content.

So a 15mb feed can get you 1080p gaming? Everyone's got to have that minimum spec from their ISP.

The highest setting is 1080p/SDR.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Depends on the games, consoles you're comparing.
16y7lgtala041.png

For instance, on Judgment:
PS5 60 FPS > Stadia 60FPS > PS4 30 FPS

And GFN 3080 has often better latency than PS5. Digital Foundry did an episode on it...

jaysius

Banned
Worked great for me, it was a little blurry, I'd never pay a dime for this kind of experience, but I'm sure people on Switch who can't otherwise play it would.

It's a neat proof of concept.

BeardGawd

Banned
Looks like this is using Stadia tech? I like the minimum setup but couldn't get a stream started. On Android.

Last edited:

nkarafo

I think the point is that it doesn't really matter. Some console games running natively have 150 ms of latency. The average last gen was 100 ms, now it's around 70 ms iirc. Either way, adding 20-30ms of latency to that via streaming is not a big deal. 99% of console gamers don't even know that consoles have input lag, that means they didn't even notice the ~100 ms of latency.
Sure, the standards of console gaming used to be very low for a very long time. But now, with all the push for things like VRR and performance/60/120fps modes, console gamers are waking up. Shitting on input lag standards while everything else gets better is going to be a noticeable step back even for them.

teokrazia

Image quality and responsiveness are not great as GeForce NOW.
But is a nice step in the right direction.
GG, Capcom.

wolywood

Meh. Streaming is still far away to being truly viable, even for demos.
It really isn't. I've been playing games via GeForce Now's 3080 tier subscription and getting on par or better graphical performance than PS5/Series X for the past 6 months.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
It really isn't. I've been playing games via GeForce Now's 3080 tier subscription and getting on par or better graphical performance than PS5/Series X for the past 6 months.
You are one successful case out of 10.000 people who tries this.

Internet speed, it being widespread, lag free, etc are all things stopping streaming from becomming trully viable.

And even then it would just be one alternative, given that you would have even less ownership over your games and hardware, and with streaming you are hostage to your internet.If something happens to it, puff.Not to mention you having to pay premium to it just so you have a good enough connection to run your games.

Like I said, decades away.

JimboJones

Image quality wasn't great and I could feel the input delay.
But it worked well enough but I have always had better luck with Stadia than XCloud.

hemo memo

Gold Member
You are one successful case out of 10.000 people who tries this.

Internet speed, it being widespread, lag free, etc are all things stopping streaming from becomming trully viable.

And even then it would just be one alternative, given that you would have even less ownership over your games and hardware, and with streaming you are hostage to your internet.If something happens to it, puff.Not to mention you having to pay premium to it just so you have a good enough connection to run your games.

Like I said, decades away.
I call it "America equals the world" complex. Game streaming is not viable to the majority of people to get the optimal experience. A video game subscription service with a catalogue of games to download and play directly from the hardware is the way to go. I don't think a decade is enough for the internet to improve for most countries that game streaming becomes the primary way of playing games. I would say not less than 15 years.

kiphalfton

Streaming games will never be viable for people like me, who have Xfinity, until they get rid of data caps. So stupid and limiting.

Gandih42

My first time playing a game via streaming, and I'm honestly quite impressed.

It's pretty cool to load up a game like this via your browser and just start playing. But even though it is definitely playable, I'd say the input latency is still fairly noticeable. Not like that GIF of the guy jumping, but it feels more sluggish than it should. And there was some weird artifacting going on with the visual quality.

I've still got no interest in game streaming but this is a neat application of it. I've been keen on Village for a while, now I'm even more hooked. Game seems super fun, especially without the sluggish feeling and with cleaner visuals.

emivita

So, I tried it on a shitty laptop, a stable and fast connection and the game runs like shit not because of the connection, but because of the shitty laptop (a 2009 dual core). In fact, the game runs better (but with huge latency) on a 2020 laptop I have. So yeah, it looks like you can't play Stadia games on a shitty hardware.

So, I tried it on a shitty laptop, a stable and fast connection and the game runs like shit not because of the connection, but because of the shitty laptop (a 2009 dual core). In fact, the game runs better (but with huge latency) on a 2020 laptop I have. So yeah, it looks like you can't play Stadia games on a shitty hardware.
Yep, that's one caveat with streaming, you still need at least some processing power in your machine otherwise it won't work.

sertopico

I tried this demo yesterday out of curiosity. It doesn't run on Firefox throwing an error, but it runs fine on Chromium-based browsers.

On my 1440p monitor it looked horrible, there are streaming artifacts, blacks are crushed, it's blurry as hell and full of jaggies. No wonder since it is streaming a game that already has a shitty TAA implementation. The maximum resolution is also locked at 1080p. Input lag was also pretty bad, sometimes the character just stood still and I had to press the keys more than once in order to get a response. All in all:

The streaming service is still not up to the task.

It might be good for those who have smaller screens, assuming that there are no input issues.

Fat Frog

You need a hardware that can run a 1080p video stream (or 720 if you only have a 15MB connection).

Google will step by step enhance the compatibility with new tech.
For now i suggest you clean your 2009 PC by removing your 200 GB of Rocco Siffredi movies....

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I was pretty impressed trying it on my phone with the s service even saying my connection was on the low side it still ran well with little lag.

Withnail

Depends on the games, consoles you're comparing.
16y7lgtala041.png

For instance, on Judgment:
PS5 60 FPS > Stadia 60FPS > PS4 30 FPS

And GFN 3080 has often better latency than PS5. Digital Foundry did an episode on it...
Ok but we don't all live in the same house as Digital Foundry so these results are not really indicative of the general experience. If they can find a way to isolate the latency of the encoding/decoding technologies used by these services then the comparisons are useful, but most of the latency is purely down to distance to the data centre. YMMV!

Fat Frog

Ok but we don't all live in the same house as Digital Foundry so these results are not really indicative of the general experience. If they can find a way to isolate the latency of the encoding/decoding technologies used by these services then the comparisons are useful, but most of the latency is purely down to distance to the data centre. YMMV!
True, results depends on many factors but even in a small town far from the Stadia datacenter, on Judgment I still have lower input lag than PS4.Google's infrastructure and 60FPS were really a game changer for me, it feels so smoooooooth compared to the 20-30FPS of the previous gen.

And like you said, if you're really too far from a google data center, then try Xcloud, Luna or GFN, if you don't live in a cabane in Alaska i guess at least one datacenter is near your house.

Mithos

Looked like crap, played like crap (30/20Mbit, speedtest just before and after testplay).
Game itself claimed awesome/excellent connection.

Top Bottom