• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Village demo: No download, no powerful hardware,one click, only 15MB internet required

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Capcom's first streaming demos (on their own websites).

It's a good opportunity for you to test if your internet is good enough for game streaming without giving your credit card info or even creating an account. (The demo is powered by Stadia tech)

Do I need to register to play the game?

No. You do not need to register to play the game.Does it cost anything to play the game?No. It does not cost anything. However, you will need an internet connection.

The game may use a large amount of data.
You are responsible for any access or data fees incurred from your internet provider or phone company.
For mobile device users, we recommend tracking your data usage to avoid unexpected charges.Is there an age limit?Those under 18 cannot play the game.What are the recommended system settings?A high-speed internet connection that can handle HD video (10 Mbps or higher);
a device (PC, Mac, smartphone) that can handle HD video.
The game can also be played on browsers (Chrome/Safari (iOS only)).

Compatible OS/Browsers:
OS- Windows 10- macOS 11- Android 11- iOS 14.3 or laterBrowsers- Windows/macOS/Android: Chrome latest ver.- iOS (iPhone/iPad): SafariWhat input devices are compatible with the game?The following input devices can be used:Windows/macOS/Android (USB & Bluetooth)- Keyboard & Mouse- PlayStation DUALSHOCK 4- XBOX ONE ControlleriOS (iPhone/iPad) (Bluetooth)- PlayStation DUALSHOCK 4- XBOX ONE Controller
  • PlayStation and DUALSHOCK 4 are registered trademarks of Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc.
  • Windows, XBOX, and XBOX ONE are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.
Is this demo different from those on other platforms?

The time limit that was on other platforms has been removed.
There are no differences in game content (specs/game scope).Can the game be played offline?No. You will need a constant internet connection capable of streaming. You cannot download the game and play it offline.Can you save your data?No. The save feature is not available in the demo version.Is there a limit to how many times you can play?No. You can play the game as many times as you want.Is the game 4K/HDR-compatible?No. The highest setting is 1080p/SDR.Can you change settings, like text/voice language?Yes, you can make those changes from the Options menu.

Can you link the game with RESIDENT EVIL.NET?No. That feature is not available.I cannot start the game or it freezes during gameplay. What should I do?Clear your browser's cache and cookies, then restart your browser.

Also, if you are on Wi-Fi or mobile, consider switching to a wired connection.
If that does not work, confirm your connection speed is high enough to play the game.I paused the game for a while and was disconnected. Why did that happen?Ten minutes of inactivity will automatically disconnect you from the game.If I'm disconnected from the game and reconnect, can I resume from where I left off?
No. You will have to start from the beginning.

Banned
OnLive did this more than a decade ago (they even had it integrated with GameSpot's site for a while). IMO the only really good use for streaming games.

also was a neat thing when Ubisoft did the free stadia demo for Immortals

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

Worked great on my shitty wireless, basically no lag even with mouse controls. The future of gaming is looking bright.
Sure Jan GIF

Fat Frog

RE8 was a mediocre Stadia version.(plus, dark areas are not adapted to cloud compression)

This a good example of Stadia's tech.

supernova8

Banned
Trying it now (or trying to try it). I'm in Japan and I managed to trick it with Opera's built-in VPN but as it was loading it somehow caught me and threw me to the "sorry can't deliver" (not available in my region) screen. Bastards.

Edit 1: wait looks like I might be in. I'm at the splash screen (half chris half werewolf) and it says "checking your connection". Taking an awfully long time - five minutes now... (I'm on a 600mb connection, should be quick enough).

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

Oh no, this demo is restricted to certain parts of the worlds. That certainly means streaming is terrible and is gonna stay terrible forever.

:messenger_smirking:
Weird you replied immediately to this but didn't address anyone elses issues or are you still deciding on an emoji to add at the end of your other replies?

Last edited:

Skifi28

Oh no, this demo is restricted to certain parts of the worlds. That certainly means streaming is terrible and is gonna stay terrible forever.

:messenger_smirking:
This is pretty much what it means. Unless you live in a major country/large city, there will always be issues with streaming. Future or not, there will not be data centers a few kilometers away from one's crappy no-name country or small town.

nush

Gold Member
Fuck you Capcom.

"SORRY. CAN'T DELIVER.

Which area can I play in?​

You can access this streaming demo from the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Belgium, Ireland, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Romania, and Hungary."

You've got no problem selling me the game in the country I'm in.

Neff

Interesting to see how far streaming has come (last time I tried it was years ago) but this is still far from ideal. Lag isn't terrible but it is there, and in an action game it just won't do. Picture consistency is impressive, I didn't notice any drops or artifacts, but the picture itself leaves a lot to be desired. It lacks definition, saturation and contrast, which is to be expected with a heavily compressed image. I popped the PS5 version on to compare and it was an absolutely huge difference. Still, it's a pretty convenient way to gauge impressions if you're on the fence.

Zeroing

Banned
It works flawlessly. Then again my internet speed is very fast and no data caps. Never had a problem with PS Now so I was expecting it would work. I did not noticed any lag.

SSfox

Resident Evil Village demo: No download, no powerful hardware,one click, only 15MB internet required​

.... But LAGGY AF

Reizo Ryuu

You've got no problem selling me the game in the country I'm in.
Well selling you the game also doesn't require some kind of datacenter they need to set up near your location.
It works flawlessly. Then again my internet speed is very fast and no data caps.
Streaming is much less about fast speed or data caps, and much more about your distance to the data center in miliseconds. If it works great for you, the data center that is serving you the stream is probably very close.
If you lag your connection is either unstable or the data center is just too far away; a gigabit connection is not going to help you there.

Zeroing

Banned
Streaming is much less about fast speed or data caps, and much more about your distance to the data center in miliseconds. If it works great for you, the data center that is serving you the stream is probably very close.
If you lag your connection is either unstable or the data center is just too far away; a gigabit connection is not going to help you there.
Ohhhh nice :)

Obviously YMMV, but in principle this is a great way to demo games, especially as assets get larger and larger. Imagine downloading a 10GB demo and immediately being turned off by the game.

Fat Frog

This is pretty much what it means. Unless you live in a major country/large city, there will always be issues with streaming. Future or not, there will not be data centers a few kilometers away from one's crappy no-name country or small town.
Data centers are popping every years and you don't need them in every country. (I live in western europe and the Stadia data centers from Belgium or Netherland works very well with in my small town).

It'll take time, indeed, but billion of gamers will have access to cloud gaming in a few years.(Stadia games has been rated in south america lately and Geforce already arrived there...)

Top Bottom