• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Village crack completely fixes its stuttering issues

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
When paying users are at a disadvantage compared to hackers, there is a problem...

rs-village-collection-banner_1024x1024.jpg

As reported in PC Performance Analysis, Resident Evil Village was suffering from some really annoying stuttering issues. And, from the looks of it, the culprit behind those stutters was Capcom’s own DRM.
Earlier today, EMPRESS cracked this latest Resident Evil game. And, we can now confirm that the pirated version does not suffer from any stuttering issues.

From the looks of it, the culprit behind these stutters is Capcom’s DRM. EMPRESS claims that the game uses Capcom’s anti-tamper V3 and Denuvo V11.
"All in-game shutters like the one from when you kill a zombie are fixed because Capcom DRM’s enty points are patched out so most of their functions are never executed anymore. This results in much smoother game experience."

In order to thoroughly test the game, we’ve played the pirated version for over two hours and killed numerous enemies. And, surprisingly enough, we did not get a single stutter during these two hours.
Even the catacombs at Lady Dimitrescu’s castle, an area notorious for its stuttering issues when killing enemies, was stutter-free.

This could very well explain why Capcom has not commented on the game’s stuttering issues. Over the past couple of months, PC gamers were asking for a fix. And, thanks to piracy, we now know what is causing them.

Digital Foundry's take on this:

Last edited:

Excess

It’s sad that despite all the concern over DRM like Denuvo affecting performance and GOG proving you can give people DRM-free games without the world imploding that Capcom decided to double down on something that demonstrably damages the experience for paying customers.
And I would imagine that pirating games on PC is a rather small group. Many of us who have the ability to download pirated games don't even bother, simply because we can't always be sure there isn't some kind of malicious elements embedded into the crack.

lol, stutter free but also missing some animations.
Maybe the reporting here is not 100% accurate.
This is another reason I'll avoid cracks. Ironically, I can't always be sure it'll be completely stable.

clintar

lol, stutter free but also missing some animations.
Maybe the reporting here is not 100% accurate.

Well, how about release game without shit DRM that causes terrible performance issues and then there is no need for crack that causes other issues. Then we can have best of both worlds, good performance AND no missing animations.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting. I don't remember any stuttering

Yeah, I've played through the game multiple times and can't recall any kind of stuttering. Good news for people who had that issue, I suppose.

ShadowNate

Well, how about release game without shit DRM that causes terrible performance issues and then there is no need for crack that causes other issues. Then we can have best of both worlds, good performance AND no missing animations.
I don't disagree with this.
I am all for DRM-free titles, and good performance or as good as it can get.

But the industry at large has settled in this balanced state on the DRM vs piracy issue, seemingly regarding the side-effects as minimal or acceptable. It's unlikely this is going to change dramatically in the future.

At some point they will remove the DRM and the cycle will repeat in the next release.

MiguelItUp

If anything developers need to improve on it, or find another means of DRM. Or just lift it completely. It's always cracked anyway, so it's rather pointless, lmao.

It's wild to me that people still pirate games. I mean, as a teen I did because it was a newer thing and I didn't have a job, or when I did I could barely afford much at all off of part time minimum wage. As an adult, I can afford and want to support the devs, so I do. Sometimes I forget pirating is even still a thing, haha.

Interesting. I don't remember any stuttering
It was EXTREMELY isolated situations where you were very close to enemies. I mean, VERY close, and it was generally just for less than a second or so. It was extremely noticeable as the game was constantly 60+ otherwise. Very odd.

Kuranghi

I was going to get it on PC to play at max settings at 4K30 with no lag v-sync but this soured me on it, so glad I went with 60fps no RT mode on PS5, was basically perfectly locked, lovely experience for a console.

The stutter on shooting an enemy, no matter how minor was a dealbreaker for me, you kill literally hundreds of baddies throughout the game and I spend a lot of time getting that frametime graph flat usually, already have to accept asset loading and autosaving stutters when running between areas, my little heart can't take any more than that.

It was EXTREMELY isolated situations where you were very close to enemies. I mean, VERY close, and it was generally just for less than a second or so. It was extremely noticeable as the game was constantly 60+ otherwise. Very odd.

I wonder if the problem is still present with v-sync off, people play like that so they might not notice it nearly as much then.

ZoukGalaxy

So: buy the game, play the cracked version to get normal performance.
What a world.

Will wait for the PSVR2 version.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
And I would imagine that pirating games on PC is a rather small group. Many of us who have the ability to download pirated games don't even bother, simply because we can't always be sure there isn't some kind of malicious elements embedded into the crack.

This is another reason I'll avoid cracks. Ironically, I can't always be sure it'll be completely stable.
I imagine it's just like music/movies: you use a trusted source and scan before opening.

I assuming they're using bittorrent?

Last edited:
I had no stuttering with Village on Steam and the frame drops with the lady bugs was easily fixed by lowering the volumetric lighting to medium. Anything above would tank the framerate in a lot of places. It was the same with previous games as well. The reporting is only partially accurate. It has been proven that Denuvo does cause some issues with low end pc's. DSO is not an legitimate and accurate site. Please stop using it.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Whats the point of DRM if the game get cracked anyway?
To prevent piracy of a game on day 1 to increase sales.

Does it work? Who knows. PC gamers seem to care less about when a game came out, where as PlayStation players seem to care more about playing a game when it is new.

SSfox

And hermen Hulst want to release all playstation games on PC day by day. Once people will stop buying playstation games and playstation consoles to just play those on crack version on PC, and sales of both PS games and consoles goes down, maybe it's at that time that the "Chill team" will start to open their eyes and realize that Hermen Hulst was sent by Aliens to destroy the playstation brand.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It’s always the drm. Always….

but people can never be trusted .. because duck everyone else right ?

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I had no stuttering with Village on Steam and the frame drops with the lady bugs was easily fixed by lowering the volumetric lighting to medium. Anything above would tank the framerate in a lot of places. It was the same with previous games as well. The reporting is only partially accurate. It has been proven that Denuvo does cause some issues with low end pc's. DSO is not an legitimate and accurate site. Please stop using it.
The fact that you didn't had any problem doesn't mean it's the case for everyone. I experienced those stutter with a 2070, 16gb RAM and i7 9750H. The game run at 90FPS but with serious stuttering triggered by the situations explained in the article.
It is also reported that it's Capcom own DRM that causing this, not Denuvo himself. From the OP:
"the culprit behind those stutters was Capcom’s own DRM."
Still I don't think I will bother download the game again to try this version.

And hermen Hulst want to release all playstation games on PC day by day. Once people will stop buying playstation games and playstation consoles to just play those on crack version on PC, and sales of both PS games and consoles goes down, maybe it's at that time that the "Chill team" will start to open their eyes and realize that Hermen Hulst was sent by Aliens to destroy the playstation brand.
HZD, Days Gone, and Death Stranding all made BIG scores on PC despite being cracked on day one. People have been saying the same things as you for years, but they are always wrong. When a game is good, it sells. Period.

martino

tenor.gif

SSfox

HZD, Days Gone, and Death Stranding all made BIG scores on PC despite being cracked on day one. People have been saying the same things as you for years, but they are always wrong. When a game is good, it sells. Period.
Lmao at your "BIG SCORES".

750K copies at best on which Sony will get only 70% of the cut, while those could have purshased the game and a PS console on which Sony will get 100% of the cut and both the consoles and the games, without counting the 30% cut from all other 3rd party game that Sony will also get those new PS owners would buy.

Hermen Hulst is just not smart and doesn't have a long run mindset, that's all, there is a reason on why precedent Playstation leaders, and also Nintendo (even today) don't port their games on PC.

Last edited:
The fact that you didn't had any problem doesn't mean it's the case for everyone. I experienced those stutter with a 2070, 16gb RAM and i7 9750H. The game run at 90FPS but with serious stuttering triggered by the situations explained in the article.
It is also reported that it's Capcom own DRM that causing this, not Denuvo himself. From the OP:
"the culprit behind those stutters was Capcom’s own DRM."
Still I don't think I will bother download the game again to try this version.

That goes both ways as well I'm afraid. Just because some ppl didn't have stutters also works the other way around, just because some pirate people no longer have stutters, does not mean it was fixed by the cracked version. Although I agree that the favor is in the pirates favor, the videos come from random YouTubers and DSO which I cannot trust. We need some more proof than that.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Amazing when random modders and hackers do a better job than the actual devs and QA team.

Not really, because noone says shit when a crack or hack actually introduces new issues and instabilities because there's never any sort of organized testing or validation. At best what you might get is a "Proper" released further down the line, which often will have its own issues.

There's no reason for complaint or anyone to really address it to, and most of all because people are less likely to complain about something they got for free.

Its utter bollocks basically, and these stories of cracks being better than the real thing tend to spread mainly because they fit into a preexisting narrative about DRM=bad.

The irony of course is that without widespread piracy, there'd be zero impetus to invest in the development and implementation of DRM schemes! Noone really wants to do it, and everyone understands its a pointless and endless whack-a-mole scenario...

...So all that's happening is (at best) the same fuckers who caused the problems in the first place are the ones being hailed as saviours for circumvenitng them!

Meanwhile brain-dead fucknuggets blame the people who actually create the ENTERTAINMENT VALUE part of the product as being the bad guys because they are forced into this retarded circular narrative.

Dream-Knife

Banned

750K copies at best on which Sony will get only 70% of the cut, while those could have purshased the game and a PS console on which Sony will get 100% of the cut and both the consoles and the games, without counting the 30% cut from all other 3rd party game that Sony will also get those new PS owners would buy.

Hermen Hulst is just not smart and doesn't have a long run mindset, that's all, there is a reason on why precedent Playstation leaders, and also Nintendo (even today) don't port their games on PC.
Casuals aren't going to be buying PCs in droves yet; your box is fine for now.

It's extra money for sony, don't be silly.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

Ok I see you are just trolling. If not, I recommend you to browse one of the hundred thread that talk about that, and learn.
That goes both ways as well I'm afraid. Just because some ppl didn't have stutters also works the other way around, just because some pirate people no longer have stutters, does not mean it was fixed by the cracked version. Although I agree that the favor is in the pirates favor, the videos come from random YouTubers and DSO which I cannot trust. We need some more proof than that.
It shouldn't be accepted, even if it's just 10% of buyers (it was more than that). The demo worked perfectly but the full game was a big let down, I'm really attached to fluidity and it was just horrible to have those microfreeze.
Also sure you can believe anyone you want, here is what the person that cracked the game has to say:
unknown.png

I think if you do had experienced those stutter, your opinion wouldn't be the same.

Ok I see you are just trolling. If not, I recommend you to browse one of the hundred thread that talk about that, and learn.

It shouldn't be accepted, even if it's just 10% of buyers (it was more than that). The demo worked perfectly but the full game was a big let down, I'm really attached to fluidity and it was just horrible to have those microfreeze.
Also sure you can believe anyone you want, here is what the person that cracked the game has to say:
unknown.png

I think if you do had experienced those stutter, your opinion wouldn't be the same.

Well Japanese devs are not great at porting to PC., might not be intentional but then again RE7 had a fov slider, this one still does not so clearly some half-ass job by a few devs working on it might've messed up some drm coding and they just didn't bother.

Blond

Banned
It’s sad that despite all the concern over DRM like Denuvo affecting performance and GOG proving you can give people DRM-free games without the world imploding that Capcom decided to double down on something that demonstrably damages the experience for paying customers.
Piracy numbers for PC games are insane. If the PC sales and piracy number’s were reversed the platform would be unstoppable.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Played the PC version (steam) and don't remember any stuttering. Maybe just me.
Yep unfortunately it does stutter on some configuration, on a random way. There is a lot of examples on Youtube: let's take some of the most powerful cards out here and see: RTX 3080 / RTX 3070. Yep, it stutter.
Well Japanese devs are not great at porting to PC., might not be intentional but then again RE7 had a fov slider, this one still does not so clearly some half-ass job by a few devs working on it might've messed up some drm coding and they just didn't bother.
Maybe? But I don't care. I don't want excuses, I want solutions and patchs. For the optimisation I'd say it depends, RE games are always well optimized and even Capcom games in general. This one runs well despite those stutter issues.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck

Kuranghi

Played the PC version (steam) and don't remember any stuttering. Maybe just me.

Almost all modern PC games have stutter at their default settings due to several rubbish Windows 10 "optimisations" and even when thats not the problem a lot of games default to borderless fullscreen and have microstuttering or some other issue because of that. Even if all things are working as they should sometimes the v-sync is just rubbish/loosely enforced and capping the fps to refresh rate will help massively. You probably just got used to it or never noticed in the first place, and you shouldn't ever worry about it if thats the case because you are literally just opening yourself up to a world of pain.

The Big Lebowski Walter GIF

You could've also been running it with a way under utilised GPU so there is tons of headroom to cover the frametime spikes caused by the DRM.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not really, because noone says shit when a crack or hack actually introduces new issues and instabilities because there's never any sort of organized testing or validation. At best what you might get is a "Proper" released further down the line, which often will have its own issues.

There's no reason for complaint or anyone to really address it to, and most of all because people are less likely to complain about something they got for free.

Its utter bollocks basically, and these stories of cracks being better than the real thing tend to spread mainly because they fit into a preexisting narrative about DRM=bad.

The irony of course is that without widespread piracy, there'd be zero impetus to invest in the development and implementation of DRM schemes! Noone really wants to do it, and everyone understands its a pointless and endless whack-a-mole scenario...

...So all that's happening is (at best) the same fuckers who caused the problems in the first place are the ones being hailed as saviours for circumvenitng them!

Meanwhile brain-dead fucknuggets blame the people who actually create the ENTERTAINMENT VALUE part of the product as being the bad guys because they are forced into this retarded circular narrative.
Skyrim and Fallout mods may lead to some glitches here and there, but overall they are awesome. And I'm not talking about cheat hacks or god mode which arent intended for the real game.

I'm talking bug fixes, 4k mods, high quality textures etc.... Some of them even fix quests which Bethesda never bothered doing.

Last edited:

Mabdia

Nothing against they try to protect their games. But when that makes the payer have a worse experience...

They are sending the wrong message to buyers. It's like they are saying to people wait to get the best version of the game for free or in a sale.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Skyrim and Fallout mods may lead to some glitches here and there, but overall they are awesome. And I'm not talking about cheat hacks or god mode which arent intended for the real game.

I'm talking bug fixes, 4k mods, high quality textures etc.... Some of them even fix quests which Bethesda never bothered doing.

Mods are cool, don't get me wrong. It just grinds my gears when comparisons get made between stuff developed in a professional environment and that in an enthusiast/hacker one.

Level of scrutiny is way different, and especially with mods people do tend to give community sourced stuff a free-pass on any weirdness that might come along with it. Code is code and its really easy for stuff to indirectly impact seemingly entirely unrelated aspects.

I also have major issues with the sort of narrative that runs along the lines of the community cares more about game X than the people who made it. Because its straight-up nonsensical.
If something doesn't get fixed there will likely be a reason for it , maybe not a great reason like maybe they are just too busy on other things to address an issue that they failed to detect first time around, but its highly improbable that its a matter of pure disinterest.

Ozzie666

If it's just about day one or the first week, surely they could use more simple protections that don't affect performance. Bring back code wheels, doc checks, look ups and rob northern. Digital sales really does change the idea of software protection, it's no wonder we get so many on line only games.

Jada_Li

Banned
I don't experience any stuttering with RE8 but I also have my settings balanced and not using more than 4.8 VRAM out of 8. Though I updated something that messed up my settings that caused poor performance in which I had to reconfigure to get back to that smooth experience.

Also, is it just me or does this sound like advertising, even acceptance of lack of morals and justification for stealing? Especially something considered a want and not a need. Not saying that those who steal food or water or clothes or whatever out of the necessity of actually needing it for survival when they have no money isn't right either...but at least the motivation is understandable. To me anyway. Personally, if I feel wronged by purchasing a video game that should have been quality and it was not, I simply just write them on the list and do not support unless the workmanship to correct their mistakes is being brought to fruition.

But alas as the saying goes, "Different strokes for different folks."

Top Bottom