• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Village - 4th Trailer

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A second trailer for Resident Evil Village reveals more backstory behind Ethan Winters and the mysterious village out to get him.

Thanks mods for the title change

K-Pop Flirt GIF

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned
Man I hope this comes out in VR. I should clarify, I wish it would come to PC VR. Great trailer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arachnid

I'm getting some really bad vibes for Ethan, man.

Chris putting him through the wringer screams the "Ethan was with Umbrella" RE7 theory being legit (due to a list of ex-Umbrella employees including an Ethan W. being deceased in RE5; below), because Chris will never be a bad guy; The devs also stated there's a pretty rough twist in store for Ethan this time around regarding his past.

This also explains his wife being a black market bioterrorist and researcher in RE7.

EepOwwjWoAEHLtH.jpg

Ethan is fucked this game. This is going to be some Silent Hill 2 level tragedy.

Last edited:

J-Roderton

Chris putting him through the wringer screams the "Ethan was with Umbrella" RE7 theory being legit (due to a list of ex-Umbrella employees including an Ethan W. being deceased in RE5; below), because Chris will never be a bad guy. The devs also stated there's a pretty rough twist in store for Ethan this time around regarding his past

This also explains his wife being a black market bioterrorist and researcher in RE7.

EepOwwjWoAEHLtH.jpg

Ethan is fucked this game. This is going to be some Silent Hill 2 level tragedy.

Whoa. Cool.

J-Roderton

Guess my RE2, 4, 5, and 6 marathon is going to come to a pause once this comes out. Pretty pumped to play. Day one.

Kuranghi

SDR version

HDR version

Wow the SDR one must be made from the HDR one or something because the banding is so bad in the SDR one. Thanks much for posting these, so much better quality.

PSA - Don't watch the one in the OP or the SDR one if you have a good HDR TV, instead watch the HDR version above in your TVs internal youtube app so ensure you actually see it properly, it makes a BIG difference if you have a good HDR TV. If you only have SDR then still watch the SDR version in your TV internal youtube app.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned

Chris putting him through the wringer screams the "Ethan was with Umbrella" RE7 theory being legit (due to a list of ex-Umbrella employees including an Ethan W. being deceased in RE5; below), because Chris will never be a bad guy; The devs also stated there's a pretty rough twist in store for Ethan this time around regarding his past)

EepOwwjWoAEHLtH.jpg

Hey hows Ethan name is in RE5 ? ( Hes still alive during RE5 and not yet involved) could be someone else

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Man I hope this comes out in VR. I should clarify, I wish it would come to PC VR. Great trailer.

I think given the graphics the game is made with VR in mind - the characters look good, but everything else, the surroundings, the effects, are literally pulled from PS3 with their low-res textures, low poly count, the way fire and fur looks is laughable, the only explanation for a PS5 game to look this bad is that it's a VR game, I can't come up with any other justification.

I know they've gone for a winter / cold colour palette but it makes it look very washed out. I'll be cranking up the colour ratio on my CX thats for sure

Kuranghi

Man it does look... not pretty : /

I think I recall that you have a good HDR TV don't you? Watch this HDR version in the internal youtube app:

Almost every version of the SDR trailer I've seen it borked - the livestream version, the offline stream version (its the same file probably so makes sense), the IGN one in the OP, the RE official channel one, the PS one - only the japanese HDR one I linked is correct imo.

Fun/Stupid demo trailer fact - I downloaded and started the RE8 demo, it has a countdown to when its available. When you start it you set whether you want SDR or HDR (You have to delete the save data if you want to change it right lol because you can't get back to the toggle after you initially set it, until the demo is available that is) but if you choose SDR (and PS5 HDR is set off, I'm not sure the new setting is working with the demo, seemed to auto switch to HDR even though I set the game to SDR) the trailer looks like how it is on all the SDR versions on youtube , ie all fucked up. If you set the game to HDR then it looks correct afaics, its so bizarre that everyone who doesn't have HDR has to watch this fucked up trailer. I make no wonder people in this thread are saying the game looks like shit.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
I think I recall that you have a good HDR TV don't you? Watch this HDR version in the internal youtube app:

Yeah I have a C9 here, but even if HDR looks better, I dont really like the SDR presentation : (

I mean, I understand that in this genre, you should apply lots of color filters to set the mood and all but, man, this looks really dull 90% of the time : /

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Yeah I have a C9 here, but even if HDR looks better, I dont really like the SDR presentation : (

I'm saying all the other versions of this trailer outside the one I linked you have terrible gamma, black level and contrast which makes it look like flat garbage. Fair enough if you just don't like the graphics/presentation in general of the game but I suggest watching it in HDR on the internal app before making a final judgement, the difference is transformative for me.

I think they made the SDR versions from the HDR version instead of just recording the game running in SDR, so its awful.

Whitecrow

Banned
I'm saying all the other versions of this trailer outside the one I linked you have terrible gamma, black level and contrast which makes it look like flat garbage. Fair enough if you just don't like the graphics/presentation in general of the game but I suggest watching it in HDR on the internal app before making a final judgement, the difference is transformative for me.

I think they made the SDR versions from the HDR version instead of just recording the game running in SDR, so its awful.
It definitely looks way better, and you might be right that they just got the SDR tone mapped down from HDR. I dont know how tone mapping works, but if it can be done better, they should do it, because right now, colors are nowhere to be found : D

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Hate to say it, but that last trailer did nothing for me.

Seems like a regression to me to the naff campyness of RE4 after RE7 finally managed to strike a tone where it felt more like a homage to the genre than a goofy riff on popular tropes.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

It definitely looks way better, and you might be right that they just got the SDR tone mapped down from HDR. I dont know how tone mapping works, but if it can be done better, they should do it, because right now, colors are nowhere to be found : D

This won't affect the final games SDR afaik, the SDR will not look anything like those bad versions, as long as the calibration screens are set up properly the SDR will look like it should, ie the opposite of this flat grey mess, with deep blacks and harsh contrast between shadows and light. Whereas the HDR will show more shadow detail and have proper bright highlights, like the bit where the torch-bearing werewolves are coming down the wall of the sewer looking place.

Kuranghi

Hate to say it, but that last trailer did nothing for me.

Seems like a regression to me to the naff campyness of RE4 after RE7 finally managed to strike a tone where it felt more like a homage to the genre than a goofy riff on popular tropes.

Sorry what genre do you mean? Survival horror?

I think all RE games, including 7 are "goofy riffs on popular tropes" tbh, just different genres of horror, but always with the original survival horror roots of the first games.

All the games after CV are pastiches of the old style fixed camera games imo, they have most if not all of the elements of the old games but modernised or combined with a new style of play (ie 3rd person in 4, 5 and R2R/R3R and FP in 7 and 8).

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sorry what genre do you mean? Survival horror?

I think all RE games, including 7 are "goofy riffs on popular tropes" tbh, just different genres of horror, but always with the original survival horror roots of the first games.

All the games after CV are pastiches of the old style fixed camera games imo, they have most if not all of the elements of the old games but modernised or combined a new style of play (ie 3rd person in 4, 5 and R2R/R3R and FP in 7 and 8).

7 actually felt like it was paying homage to the horror genre, riffing on Texas Chainsaw's "family" dynamic where the humour came from the characters and their outlandish behaviour rather than silly bollocks like RE4 where we have aristocratic dwarfs presiding over medieval looking castles popping up next to laser-filled corridors and quasi-realistic military establishments.

I'm talking about thematic and tonal consistency. 7 worked well for me because it narrowed the focus back down to the extended single-location setting of the original RE, minimized exposition and basically stuck with referencing/pastiching genre tropes of modern genre cinema. TCM, Saw, "found-footage" horrror, etc.

Whereas Village (based on the trailer) looks like a mish-mash of gothic horror tropes mashed together with the series usual modernity. Vampires and Werewolves are from a different era of horror, the Universal/Hammer version that was supplanted by the new-school established by film-makers like George A Romero!

Its like sticking cowboys and indians in a John Wick movie! It doesn't matter that the franchise isn't high on realism or plausibility to begin with, adding jarringly incongruent elements ruins any suspension of disbelief. It feels like the makers are winking at you, and saying "we're not taking this seriously, and neither should you".

Last edited:
Watched the HDR trailer on a LG CX on Youtube app and it looked really rough and the framerate stuttered quite obviously at times. The aiming also looked really bad in that upgrades video but might just have been whoever was playing it.

I'm gonna wait and see how it turns out rather than do my typical burning money pre-order.

MiguelItUp

I was expecting the game to look just as good as RE7 visually, but it's definitely quite a bit better looking. I'm pretty excited. The environments and overall art all looks really, really nice. I have NO idea where they're taking this story in a lot of ways, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious about where it's gonna go.

The vibe and aesthetic most certainly gives off a RE4 + 7 vibe and I'm MORE than okay with that. Just feels like there's a lot more to replay here than in RE7.

Also, while Re:Verse is pretty meh, Mercenaries being added is a huge plus.

jaysius

Banned
Watched the HDR trailer on a LG CX on Youtube app and it looked really rough and the framerate stuttered quite obviously at times. The aiming also looked really bad in that upgrades video but might just have been whoever was playing it.

I'm gonna wait and see how it turns out rather than do my typical burning money pre-order.
I mean you could play it in the demo... if you remember what limited hours it's available for.

For me the fucked up demo 30 minute limitation shows a lack of faith in their product, rather than whatever the fuck they think it's supposed to show.

The textures are a mixture of PS3 and PS4.

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

If you download the demo on PS you get a timer and also a link to this trailer in 4K, rather than the low res YouTube version. Let me tell you the textures definitely do not look like PS3!

Kuranghi

If you download the demo on PS you get a timer and also a link to this trailer in 4K, rather than the low res YouTube version. Let me tell you the textures definitely do not look like PS3!

I'm sure you have if you have the facilities, but make sure you set the demo (and your PS5) to HDR to make sure the trailer displays correctly. If you have an SDR TV/display then watch this specific version instead since if you view the demo trailer without HDR output it won't look right:

This one is 4K as well and is probably the same encode/video thats inside the demo, but if you have an SDR display then youtube will show you a SDR tonemapped version of the video, which won't have high dynamic range but will have proper black levels and contrast. Best place to tell the difference is the bit where Ethan is shimmying along inside a cave wall while he sees the wolfboys climbing around through a crack. In all but the HDR version above and the trailer inside the demo (when PS5 is outputting HDR) the darkness around the pillars is very grey. Also when Ethan is being dragged the banding is insane around the bright part of the image, it shouldn't look like that at all.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Best:

Not just for yucks it actually has new footage in it as well, you get to see the creepy doll thing again and the 4th of the Mother Miranda "lieutenants" (He kinda has the profile of the Hunter gamma's from RE3 Remake) sounds like the stuff I've seen/read previewers describe.

Pretty damn excited for this one now, I'm 10x more excited for Returnal after last nights walkthrough video but this is still edging it out. I was going to buy PC version for massive price difference and being able to play at whatever fps/res/settings I want, but the PS5 version looked so excellent with the CB 2160p, and I would disable RT to get mostly locked 60 anyway so wouldn't have stuttering to contend with compared to PC ver.

I'll play the Castle demo on Sunday so I'm probably going to use the whole hour of the 3rd demo to tweak the graphics of the PC version to see if max setting + (probably) 1440p will keep 60 constantly (like RE&3R) and be a big enough difference settings wise compared to the PS5, as well as worth the sharpness hit vs. the PS5 version.

I have a feeling PS5 will come out ahead which is sore on the old wallet.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Best:

Not just for yucks it actually has new footage in it as well, you get to see the creepy doll thing again and the 4th of the Mother Miranda "lieutenants" (He kinda has the profile of the Hunter gamma's from RE3 Remake) sounds like the stuff I've seen/read previewers describe.

Pretty damn excited for this one now, I'm 10x more excited for Returnal after last nights walkthrough video but this is still edging it out. I was going to buy PC version for massive price difference and being able to play at whatever fps/res/settings I want, but the PS5 version looked so excellent with the CB 2160p, and I would disable RT to get mostly locked 60 anyway so wouldn't have stuttering to contend with compared to PC ver.

I'll play the Castle demo on Sunday so I'm probably going to use the whole hour of the 3rd demo to tweak the graphics of the PC version to see if max setting + (probably) 1440p will keep 60 constantly (like RE&3R) and be a big enough difference settings wise compared to the PS5, as well as worth the sharpness hit vs. the PS5 version.

I have a feeling PS5 will come out ahead which is sore on the old wallet.

Double best:

carlosrox

Banned
Game will be great but its trailers have been disappointing.

Only good one is the reveal trailer, and even then it's mostly just the second half of it that's really good.

Not the end of the world since the game will surely be fire but boy do I enjoy me a good trailer.

Kuranghi

Game will be great but its trailers have been disappointing.

Only good one is the reveal trailer, and even then it's mostly just the second half of it that's really good.

Not the end of the world since the game will surely be fire but boy do I enjoy me a good trailer.

What was a let down for you? Not enough action? The tone felt off vs. previous games? Not meaning to put words in your mouth, just trying to make the question have a bit more direction than "why u no liek?"

They definitely aren't near my favourite trailers even from this/last year but I did really enjoy the music and editing of them and its got me excited for the game with each new one. The reveal one is my favourite too, but I enjoyed the new ones nearly as much probably because I've become more attached to the characters/their designs now, their protrayal/animation at least.

Polelock

I'm getting pretty excited for this one. Looks great, I think the voice actors have done an amazing job. We'll see, most likely day one for me

carlosrox

Banned
What was a let down for you? Not enough action? The tone felt off vs. previous games? Not meaning to put words in your mouth, just trying to make the question have a bit more direction than "why u no liek?"

They definitely aren't near my favourite trailers even from this/last year but I did really enjoy the music and editing of them and its got me excited for the game with each new one. The reveal one is my favourite too, but I enjoyed the new ones nearly as much probably because I've become more attached to the characters/their designs now, their protrayal/animation at least.

They just have no identity, personality, memorable music, shots, edits, and they're way too alike. Every single trailer after the first has just felt like the same thing over and over again.

The reveal trailer is great once the music starts kicking up so I can at least give it that.

RE5 for example is the exact opposite. Almost every trailer for that game was exceptional. Great editing, music, shots, feel, etc.

Top Bottom