• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil series breaks 100 million units sold. Which one is the best?

What is the best entry in the Resident Evil series?

• Resident Evil (original)

Votes: 33 8.5%
  • Resident Evil 2

Votes: 51 13.1%
  • Resident Evil 3

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • Resident Evil: Code Veronica

Votes: 18 4.6%
  • Resident Evil Remake

Votes: 72 18.5%
  • Resident Evil Zero

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Resident Evil 4

Votes: 119 30.5%
  • Resident Evil 5

Votes: 18 4.6%
  • Resident Evil 6

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Resident Evil 7

Votes: 26 6.7%
  • Resident Evil 2 Remake

Votes: 43 11.0%
  • Resident Evil 3 Remake

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Numenorean

I know the list would be too long, but you missed at least some jewels from the “side proyects”:

RE Survivor
RE Umbrella Chronicles
RE Dark Chronicles

johntown

Banned
Resident Evil Remake was one of the best survival horror games ever made.

RE4 should be removed from the choices. While it is a great game it’s not really Resident Evil IMO.

.Pennywise

Banned
QUATRO+00.JPG

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Resident Evil Remake was one of the best survival horror games ever made.

RE4 should be removed from the choices. While it is a great game it’s not really Resident Evil IMO.

Nah 4 is an RE game. Especially what the series has turned into after it.

It was actually a good representation of RE in a different view and space and logical evolution. The fact that you couldnt move and aim gave it those kinda tank controls of the prior games but not tethered to the static camera and FMV backgrounds.

It has the scares the over the top B movie stuff all the crazy mad science and conspiracies.

DogofWar

My older brother fooled me into watching him play Resident Evil 2 (the intro scene and however long I managed after that) when I was 7/8 years old. I had nightmares for weeks afterwards. When I finally conquered that game, and my fear, and pushed through when I was 10 was a feeling I can't describe. It will forever be one of my favorite games.

Sean*O

RE4 for me. I really hope we see a incredible remake of that one along the lines of II and III, but even better. The game deserves it.

LarknThe4th

Nah 4 is an RE game. Especially what the series has turned into after it.

It was actually a good representation of RE in a different view and space and logical evolution. The fact that you couldnt move and aim gave it those kinda tank controls of the prior games but not tethered to the static camera and FMV backgrounds.

It has the scares the over the top B movie stuff all the crazy mad science and conspiracies.
Yup, it literally still has tank controls!!

Also the first chainsaw guy and regenerator encounters are some of resident evils best "creepy moments"

Definitely true, reason why Capcom seem to be conflicted on what RE should be. Survival and less sales or action with better sales.

Loved RE2 remake too. It for me is the perfect formula for future RE games being third person and survival horror. Then we got RE3 remake which was a joke.

RE7 was a step in the right direction after getting 4,5,6 but I feel First Person isn't the way to go for the main series. There's space for a separate 1st Person RE series like the Survivor and Dead Aim games.

I really enjoyed RE3 Remake. Sure, it's shorter but so is the OG. It's certainly better than a few on that list, at least IMO of course. :messenger_grinning:

I think there's space for both first and third person games just like they're doing now. Just please keep to horror and leave action behind. If I want action I'll play a much better game like Gears of War or something else.

Maybe them doing first person now is a way of re-discovering themselves. I fear if they do a third person that's not a remake it could be something worst than 6. Although their latest attempts were pretty good! I did enjoy Revelations; not great but pretty good!

Alphagear

I really enjoyed RE3 Remake. Sure, it's shorter but so is the OG. It's certainly better than a few on that list, at least IMO of course. :messenger_grinning:

I think there's space for both first and third person games just like they're doing now. Just please keep to horror and leave action behind. If I want action I'll play a much better game like Gears of War or something else.

Maybe them doing first person now is a way of re-discovering themselves. I fear if they do a third person that's not a remake it could be something worst than 6. Although their latest attempts were pretty good! I did enjoy Revelations; not great but pretty good!

Don't have any issue with the length of RE3 remake. Most RE games are fairly short. My issue was the lack of puzzles and exploration that we got with RE2 remake.

RE3 remake didn't remain faithful to the OG version IMO.

Far better than RE6 though.:messenger_grinning:

Soodanim

Only correct answer is 4.

RE and RE 2 are still fun and historic games, but the tank controls just takes them a notch down from 4's perfection.

I agree with 4’s perfection, there’s a good reason 5 fails as a sequel to 4.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Describe 4’s movement controls

In the original there was a 180 button and you couldn't move and shoot at the same time. I am pretty sure in the Wii remakes they added moving and shooting but not 100% sure.

This was a perfect evolution of 1-3's movement that was limited by the choice of using a fixed camera. Its in a way a perfect evolution of the controls going into a 3d space.

Its also the gimmick of the game, and the entire game was designed around it to perfection. Once you master the shooting combined with the combat you can see how it all works together. This is evident in the mercenaries mode which would be an amazing game on its own.

But ya shoot someone in the knee cap, run up to them, german suplex. BAM.

Soodanim

In the original there was a 180 button and you couldn't move and shoot at the same time. I am pretty sure in the Wii remakes they added moving and shooting but not 100% sure.

This was a perfect evolution of 1-3's movement that was limited by the choice of using a fixed camera. Its in a way a perfect evolution of the controls going into a 3d space.

Its also the gimmick of the game, and the entire game was designed around it to perfection. Once you master the shooting combined with the combat you can see how it all works together. This is evident in the mercenaries mode which would be an amazing game on its own.

But ya shoot someone in the knee cap, run up to them, german suplex. BAM.
100% agreed. You can follow the progression of the movement to 4 and it’s such a simple concept in terms of movement and controls but it makes all the difference in the world. Not everyone seems to appreciate that.

4 might not be my favourite overall, but it’s top 3 on most days.

cryptoadam

Banned
4 has tank controls too...

Yup covered above, its tank controls brought into 3-D, thats why 4 edges out the others.

Entire game was built around the controls and it shows. Everything works so well because the game was designed around the mechanic of the shooting.

4 will always be playable till the ends of time. 1 and 2 while historic have really aged and its a bit hard going back to that type of gameplay. They are still historic games and there would be no RE without them, and their value is more than in their controls, but 4 just evolved them.

4 is actually a very influential game if you think about it. Its essentially the JAWS or STAR WARS of video games. It became the template for blockbuster games/Cinematic games. After 4 game out a whole sub genre of over the shoulder 3rd person games appeared. QTE's became a thing, and merging game play and cinematics and creating a more cinematic experience was what developers started pushing towards. Heck GOW was a rip off of RE 4, which then created its own genres of Rip offs. So you had games ripping off GOW, which was ripping of RE 4 LOL.

OrtizTwelve

I think RE4 ranks as the best in terms of my FIRST IMPRESSIONS playing it when it was exclusive to Gamecube back in the day. Of course, it has been re-released hundreds of times since then on current consoles since that era.

As of today however, I would probably say both the 2 and 3 remakes are fantastic. 7 was entertaining, but I prefer the traditional third person style.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'd like to answer, if I may, in the form of a meme

80wRFAE.png

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
RE4 is my favourite by far. 5 is the worst, though I haven't played 6 to be fair.
6 is better than 5. It's scarier and has fun secondary movement mechanics. Worth a try if you get the chance to play it, but be aware that the story is garbage.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Yup, it literally still has tank controls!!

Also the first chainsaw guy and regenerator encounters are some of resident evils best "creepy moments"
The sound Regenerators make gives me the creeps to this day.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Original Resident Evil bump. The 1996 version with the original soundtrack.

Not only is that my favorite Resident Evil game, I can definitively say that it's my favorite game of all time. I went a few years where I wasn't gaming all that much, but I would still play through Resident Evil at least once a month. It was like a form of zen meditation. I could play that game, and only that game, for the rest of my life and be completely satisfied. It's an effing travesty and should be considered criminal that the Director's Cut version with the terrible soundtrack is the most widely accessible version. Euro friends lucked out by getting the non-dual shock version on the PSN (it has the original soundtrack).

People are voting the original Resident Evil because it's the first one lol. The question wasn't the most influential but the best and it's Resident Evil: Remake easily.

Top Bottom