• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (PC, X360, PS3) [Update 2: Lots Of New Details]

G-Fex said:
AFAIK the survival horror genre is on it's last leg. So I've heard.

What are good current survival horror games?

Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Siren: Blood Curse
Deadly Premonition

The upcoming Dead Island, Silent Hill: Downpour, and this could all potentially be good.

overcast

Lol @ people talking shit on Dead Space.

But anyway about this game. Scans look pretty, they are dark.. but the game is obviously a shooter. I think it will be a good shooter, but I want Resident Evil back.

G-Fex

ViralMarketingDrone said:

shadyspace said:
999 was goddamn scary at certain points.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Deadly Premonition

The upcoming Dead Island, Silent Hill: Downpour, and this could all potentially be good.

I stand happily corrected. Hopefully there's more in the future sides RE and SH

C-Jo

As a Resident Evil fan and a Vancouver game developer, I would love for this to be great.

Put me down as cautiously optimistic.

kunonabi

Alone in the Dark was pretty good too and was very old school in terms of gameplay. Great mix of classic gameplay and modern presentation with some neat innovations. The PS3 version was crap though.

I didn't care for Blood Curse. Too easy to run or fight making sight jacking useless. Siren is so close to being but they just haven't balanced it yet. I heard Siren 2 was perfect but I can't get my ps2 to play pal games without it freezing.

They want to kill Leon because they used a time machine to go into the future to find out how important he would be. Makes about as much sense as anything else in the RE "canon."

Discotheque said:
lol interviewer called Dead Space survival horror and said it leads the pack? That crap series is barely a decent third person shooter.

GetTheFuckOut.gif

G-Fex

Synth_floyd said:
They want to kill Leon because they used a time machine to go into the future to find out how important he would be. Makes about as much sense as anything else in the RE "canon."

As long as the time machine turns into a giant mutated creature then yes, it could fit into the RE Cannon

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Survival horror is not dying any time soon, that's for sure. I think in fact that it will become a strong genre again soon, like how fighting games got rejuvenated after a long slumber. Amnesia is a strong example of what we can still expect from developers.

Teknoman

Always-honest said:
just noticed the scans. Is this game made with multiplayer and perks in mind?

Single player but with 4p co-op options I believe. Seems like it would be best to play in co-op either way.

I'm hoping that it turns out great, has lots of RE2/RE3 music as well as original tracks made by traditional series composers, and releases on Steam.

AAK

Discotheque said:
lol interviewer called Dead Space survival horror and said it leads the pack? That crap series is barely a decent third person shooter.

LOL, Dead Space is supreme. And it is 10x the survival horror game RE4/RE5 was.

RyuHayate

Teknoman said:
I'm hoping that it turns out great, has lots of RE2/RE3 music as well as original tracks made by traditional series composers, and releases on Steam.

I wish Masami Ueda would go freelance so he has the opportunity to work on this!

These two tracks always come to mind when I think of Racoon City:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIsiZQVSFfE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7JECkVzuq0&playnext=1&list=PL27151B96E411782F

At least a remix of each would be nice.

Man... my overall excitement for this game is just through the roof!

G-Fex said:
What are good current survival horror games?

Yeah I've only got Siren: Blood Curse. That's about it. Oh and Amnesia if that counts.

Dead Space was disappointing. Outside of the really cool hud/main character design it was boring.

You're right the genre is on it's last legs. But to say this game leads? Nah. It's not a survival horror title.

AAK

Good god, seeing someone diss Dead Space with that avatar repeatedly playing back is just making me fume right now

Fuck! :p

mrpeabody

I'm not excited by the thought of a 4p console TPS, but sweet Jesus it's good to hear Capcom say things like "modern controls" and "Dead Space was fun".

When RE5 was in development and an interviewer asked the director "what games does RE5 draw inspiration from?", he said "previous Resident Evil games". Maybe we're moving past that.

Teknoman

RyuHayate said:
I wish Masami Ueda would go freelance so he has the opportunity to work on this!

These two tracks always come to mind when I think of Racoon City:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIsiZQVSFfE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7JECkVzuq0&playnext=1&list=PL27151B96E411782F

At least a remix of each would be nice.

Man... my overall excitement for this game is just through the roof!

Without even clicking, I knew one of the themes was going to be the Police Station Hall. If this is missing, it'll be as big of a mistake as Metroid: Other M missing the item get theme.

AAK said:
LOL, Dead Space is supreme. And it is 10x the survival horror game RE4/RE5 was.

Whoa there. It was good, but defending yourself wasnt as fun as RE4. Not to mention the enemy design.

Daigoro

C-Jo said:
As a Resident Evil fan and a Vancouver game developer, I would love for this to be great.

Put me down as cautiously optimistic.

as a fan of Canadians in general, and a huge RE fan, i agree.

i would love this to turn out well, and i am actually quite optimistic.

Discotheque said:
I was gonna reply with witty comeback about your avatar, but nah.
*Ringo Starr voice*Peace and Love*Ringo Starr*

your avatar is troll central though. i have to hit ESC to stop it every time i read a thread with you in it. i find it amusing, but the way it moves is really hard to stomach.

though i almost agree with you about Dead Space. good game, but not nearly the pinnacle of Survival Horror that folks are making it out to be.

Discotheque said:
I was gonna reply with witty comeback about your avatar, but nah. *Ringo Starr voice*Peace and Love*Ringo Starr*

I don't know anything about you, you might be a perfectly pleasant saint in real life, rescuing strays, helping old ladies across the street, stuff like that, but your avatar makes me want to punch you square in the mouth.

It bugs me that much.

Ok, can someone please confirm me if at least someone over CAPCOM is at least a EXECUTIVE PRODUCER of the GAME or one type of name japanese overseeing the game of SLANT SIX, because i don´t trust them at all.

The whole "resident evil as survival horror" has largely played itself out. In fact the whole genre has basically played itself out. There was RE1 and 2 which were amazing. RE3 kind of followed the same formula and was ok, CV still followed the same formula but had dumb characters, lame locations, a stupid plot and turned Wesker into a comic book villain. That's when they realized they had to change the genre of RE to an action game. Besides RE the only other successful survival horror series was Silent Hill which released a bunch of games that all played exactly the same and ran itself into the ground. At least RE re-invented itself with RE4 to insure its survival. But the main reason the survival horror genre died is because the gameplay for all of them is exactly the same, no multiplayer for replayability and the plots got stupid.

Gravijah

Synth_floyd said:
The whole "resident evil as survival horror" has largely played itself out. In fact the whole genre has basically played itself out. There was RE1 and 2 which were amazing. RE3 kind of followed the same formula and was ok, CV still followed the same formula but had dumb characters, lame locations, a stupid plot and turned Wesker into a comic book villain. That's when they realized they had to change the genre of RE to an action game. Besides RE the only other successful survival horror series was Silent Hill which released a bunch of games that all played exactly the same and ran itself into the ground. At least RE re-invented itself with RE4 to insure its survival. But the main reason the survival horror genre died is because the gameplay for all of them is exactly the same, no multiplayer for replayability and the plots got stupid.

So, reinvent the genre. Just keep the survival. And the horror.

Well they gotta do that. Basically all survival horror games can trace themselves back to Alone in the Dark, of which the original RE is basically a clone of. In its current form though the survival horror genre is definitely on its last legs.

g35twinturbo said:
you sir need to back the fuck up!

http://i.imgur.com/fIhFa.gif[/QUOTE]

Why? It's not like RE4 was even remotely scary. Other than the controls hindering you in a fight. It was a pretty decent action game though.

Zenith

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Deadly Premonition

meh, that's like saying having Black Prophecy and EVE means the space genre isn't dead.

Demirichris

Neo Member
Man, this seriously bums me out. For a fan of eastern developers, these are some seriously dark, dark times.

Slant 6? Seriously!? What in gods name.

The trailer looked to be about what I expected: re-skinned L4D.

i for one fucking hate Dead Space if not just because the enemies were not as fun to play with as zombies. I much prefer running away from a crowd of slow stupid enemies that can kill me if im not careful, then shitty one hit kills from a single enemy.

.la1n

Krauser Kat said:
i for one fucking hate Dead Space if not just because the enemies were not as fun to play with as zombies. I much prefer running away from a crowd of slow stupid enemies that can kill me if im not careful, then shitty one hit kills from a single enemy.

You were doing it wrong.

Krauser Kat said:

This is just...there are no words.

guys

DEADSPACE IS PERFECTLY FINE

SO IS RESIDENT EVIL

well, until this game, anyway. What the fuck was that trailer? Is this a PSP game? They actually have some blonde chick in a gas mask with a weird leather skirt who talks with a German accent? Is should going to point out that dey have vays of makink me talk? Why would they be so horny to kill Leon Kennedy before he's actually done anything significant? Are these guys time-travelers, is that why they have stealth camouflage?

I'll put it succinctly: the success of Dead Rising 2 made me think that it was possible that Capcom can wrangle these Western developers into putting out games that are comparable to the quality of stuff that they used to make internally. That gave me the slightest hope for DmC. The trailer for this game... has snuffed that hope out.

Top Bottom