• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (PC, X360, PS3) [Update 2: Lots Of New Details]

Teknoman

Alrus said:
It's made by a fairly mediocre studio and it's a coop based game...

Maybe, but Outbreak was co-op based. Its still just a side story, and has the potential to be a good game.

This is the way I see it: Imagine Raccoon City immediately after the outbreak. It should have a substantial amount of zombies, and if its going to be made using MT Framework, they could factor in zombie numbers similar to Dead Rising. Also it will most likely be a slower paced game, nothing at all like Left 4 Dead, since Resident Evil does not have fast zombies aside from Crimson heads. Even the rail shooters were slow paced compared to others.

Look at Mercury Steam, they went from Jericho to Castlevania Lords of Shadow, which was a huge jump in quality imo. I know its good to be cautious on a title like this, but dont throw the game under the midnight express without at least seeing actual screenshots/videos or reading about gameplay mechanics.

EDIT: Who said these men and women were psycho?

Capcom would be crazy NOT to use MT Framework with this. The environments alone would really benefit from all the lighting effects among other things. To top things off, including themes featured in RE2 and 3 would really help set the scene.

Ellis Kim said:
You keep insisting that Hunk was a "normal guy." He was hardly a "normal guy."
He was neither psychopath nor deranged supermutant. He is simply a guy doing his job, and he's good at it.
He didn't rely on gadgets, all he had was his gasmask, a standard riot-gear a few grenades and very limited ammo. That's the charming part about him. He's a man who made it out of raccoon city against all odds, because he's good at what he's doing, without relying on superhuman abilities or a mad arsenal of gadgets and superweapons.

Ellis Kim said:
Also, gas masks + leather = Rob Liefield? Really? I don't see millions of pouches.
Gamereactor-Sweden.jpg

Well, I do.

Teknoman said:
Look at Mercury Steam, they went from Jericho to Castlevania Lords of Shadow, which was a huge jump in quality imo
When they were stil called Rebel Act they made one of the best pc games of all time:
Blade of Darkness.
So the new castlevania being a really good game was only logical. And even Jericho had stellar art-design. Jose Luis Vaello Bertol is a genius.

Teknoman said:
This is the way I see it: Imagine Raccoon City immediately after the outbreak. It should have a substantial amount of zombies, and if its going to be made using MT Framework, they could factor in zombie numbers similar to Dead Rising. Also it will most likely be a slower paced game, nothing at all like Left 4 Dead, since Resident Evil does not have fast zombies aside from Crimson heads. Even the rail shooters were slow paced compared to others.

The previews hype you up how you are never short on ammo and always carry big guns. That doesnt really sound like a slower paced game, I'd say this will be more like Vanquish than RE2.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Zenith said:
ugh at that argument. Area 51 aliens and magic are both silly but you would not want them to cross genres like they did in Indiana Jones. Same goes for a Terminator appearing in Lord of the Rings. They just don't gel together.

And then there's the fact that none of Umbrella's troops have used invisibilty since. Most out there they had were the genetically-enhanced Cleaners in Gun Survivor.
ugh at that argument, too. Cloaking technology, as its being implemented in the game, is as unrealistic as it appears in most other games compared to what science allows us in real life. That doesn't mean science fiction suddenly stops using tactile holograms.

Is it so impossible and beyond the stretch of the imagination to assume that Umbrella's R&D couldn't cook up cloaking technology for its spec ops unit, when you have things like Mr. X walking around?

You're right, none of umbrella's troops have used it since. How many spec op units have any of the characters in the RE games ever confronted?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ViralMarketingDrone said:
Ellis Kim said:
Also, gas masks + leather = Rob Liefield? Really? I don't see millions of pouches.
Gamereactor-Sweden.jpg

Well, I do.
But soldier vests actually have pouches.

tapen2v.jpg

Teknoman said:
Capcom would be crazy NOT to use MT Framework with this. The environments alone would really benefit from all the lighting effects among other things. To top things off, including themes featured in RE2 and 3 would really help set the scene.
What makes you think it has English documentation?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
arnoldocastillo2003 said:
Day 1 for me, hopefully we will be back in the good old survival horror
Heh.

I should probably move the details from the last thread over.

Speedymanic said:
More details.

Rumors have been floating around for quite some time about Slant Six, former developer of SOCOM, working on a brand new Resident Evil title. Today, we're here to officially validate those rumors along with giving you the very first detail on the upcoming title.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

Hitting this Winter, gamers will be able to get their hands on Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City for the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. Our friends over at the Official Xbox Magazine have the official cover story this month, and while we'll list a few details, you'll have to pick up their May issue to find out everything!

* The game takes place in 1998, a time where Resident Evil fans already know what's set to take place. The title lets you enjoy the series from a new perspective, as the men and women who are technically responsible for it all.
* Rather than continuing the zombie slaying antics of BSAA agents, you're taken back to the original outbreak "that underscored both Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3: Nemesis."
* The game doesn't require any crazy amounts of knowledge of the past titles or characters involved in the series. The title opens up to a "quartet of new faces". Essentially, you're playing as members of the official Umbrella Security Services squad.
* Operation Raccoon City is a team-based shooter allowing four members of the USS team to destroy all evidence of the ongoing outbreak. Along with slaying the zombies, you're looking to "kill pretty much every survivor possible".
* The gameplay is described as "dirty", and the series will feel much darker than it has up to this point.
* The game features three factions that Capcom has stated make up a "three-corner conflict". The other two factions are the US Spec Ops, who are there to repel the USS, and the "bio-organic weapon monsters (BOWs) created by Umbrella.
* The USS team is made up of the following characters: Vector, Beltway, Bertha, and Spectre. Depending on which character you choose, the responsibilities that you're asked to do within your team will variate.
* Hunk, first seen in Resident Evil 2 as a hidden character, is the inspiration behind the USS team.
* "Whichever team you play on, you'll be facing Umbrella-created horrors in between skirmishes with each other".
* Zombies in the game can sense you in three different manners: sight, sound, and smell.
* A situation is described in the game where Vector cloaks himself to stir up previously slumbering zombies to use against the Special Ops military foes.
* Quite a few scenarios in the game aren't "all about headshots". A quote in the article states, "It's about shooting the other soldiers - manipulating the, making them bleed."
* The game will take you through a number of familiar areas if you're a Resident Evil junkie who remembers your journey to Raccoon City.
* Operation Raccoon City, depending on how you play the game, will give you the option to "change the history of Resident Evil". Not only will you have the chance to meet and interact with various characters from the series, but you'll even have the opportunity to kill them.
* One of th mottos repeated to OXM throughout the demo was "Kill Leon". It's also stated that if you choose to represent in the game as the Special Ops team, that you'd more than likely have the goal of trying to save Leon Kennedy.
* Slant Six or Capcom won't reveal if any other characters will be playable in the title just yet, but it'd make sense to see quite a few big cameos.
* The title will still see players relying on collecting herbs to heal from any attacks you may suffer. You won't need to hoard any herbs, but they'll still benefit you to collect them throughout the game.
* "This is not a one-versus-one game where you've got one clip full of ammo and zombies on you. If you've ever thought of those times in an RE game when you thought, 'I'd wish I had a big gun', that's what this game is. It's not fair to give people big guns, then take all the ammo away."
* One of the pictures in the article showcases a zombie being used as a "meatshield".
* Operation Raccoon City allows players to earn XP for kills, with these points helping you survive the onslaught, and to help to encourage you to anihilate everything in your path.
* The XP will allow you to earn new abilities, such as Vector's cloaking skill, and new weapons.
* Tyrants will most definitely be included in the title.

There's a ton of details listed above, but there's even more listed in the May 2011 issue of the Official Xbox Magazine. Don't forget to be on the lookout for the issue to hit store shelves to get even more details on Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City!

http://stickskills.com/news/1556/first-details-on-resident-evil-operation-raccoon-city-unveiled/

Teknoman

PetriP-TNT said:
The previews hype you up how you are never short on ammo and always carry big guns. That doesnt really sound like a slower paced game, I'd say this will be more like Vanquish than RE2.

It could also work out like Resident Evil 4 then. I dont think I ever really ran out of ammo in 4, and i'm not sure what they consider big guns, but i'm hoping they just mean things like magnums, shotguns, and assault rifles. When I say slower paced, I mean something similar to RE4 or Dead Space 1's pace. Maybe even RE3 since it seems like that game was alot faster paced and reliant on larger weapons than most classic RE titles.

Finally got the chance to play the game, and you get a shotgun pretty early on.

Ellis Kim

Banned
He was neither psychopath nor deranged supermutant. He is simply a guy doing his job, and he's good at it.
He didn't rely on gadgets, all he had was his gasmask, a standard riot-gear a few grenades and very limited ammo. That's the charming part about him. He's a man who made it out of raccoon city against all odds, because he's good at what he's doing, without relying on superhuman abilities or a mad arsenal of gadgets and superweapons.

Gamereactor-Sweden.jpg

Well, I do.
4 pouches.

You know, you almost sound like you're describing this mute videogame character who you've endeared to as this fuzzy warm thing that you can insert your own voice into. In fact, you almost sound like you're describing Nathan Drake, the "every-man who makes his way through impossible odds with nothing but a gun and the skin on his back."

He's not some "normal" dude. He has that nickname for a reason, and he's good at what he does because of who he is. Hunk, at best, is a highly skilled and valued asset to Umbrella who just happens to have a very high survival rate.

MightyHedgehog said:
Are you guys seriously debating realism in an RE? A zombie video game?
Its depressing, I know.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Just FYI to any websites reading this; the translations I did for Nirolak that he posted in the OP were done based on a quick 5 minute, one-pass reading of the interview, which I saw in scanned images with a small font size, so there may be some poor word choices, overly stilted sentences, or what have you. I am bilingual and I am sure the bulk of the translation is fine, just felt like a disclaimer might be useful anyway ;) Thanks!

ezekial45 said:
I wonder how long they've been working on this? Since it'll be out by the end of the year.

Another one of the scans (not one I translated in the OP) says Slant Six got the call "about a year ago" according to the Creative Director at Slant Six, and that their first pitch for the game to Capcom was shortly thereafter. As noted in the scans I did translate, Capcom started kicking around the basic idea to do this game while developing Lost Planet 2.

rvy

Banned
Nirolak said:
What makes you think it has English documentation?
I don't doubt you're right, but I find this really funny and sad at the same time. They are visionary enough to understand the need to create a proprietary next-gen engine, but not to predict that they will outsource many projects, thus, English documentation would be necessary?

ezekial45

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Another one of the scans (not one I translated in the OP) says Slant Six got the call "about a year ago" according to the Creative Director at Slant Six, and that their first pitch for the game to Capcom was shortly thereafter. As noted in the scans I did translate, Capcom started kicking around the basic idea to do this game while developing Lost Planet 2.

Ugh, it makes it seem like a rush job then. I guess to try and get it out for RE's 15th anniversary. 1 1/2 dev time isn't long enough for a game like this.

I hope they don't try and do that DmC as well (started in april 2010). Since DMC's 10 year anniversary is this year as well. That game needs all the time it can get.

Not to mention Fall is already crowded enough as it is.

Haha, no.

The whole problem I got with this game is that they're taking the typical GRITTIER, EDGIER, NOW WITH MORE PSYCHOPATH KILLERS angle to it.
Hunk was a normal guy and fit the scenario well.
Those new characters look like a mix of hostel aesthetics with rob liefeld, killzone and call of duty thrown into the blender.
It tries to appeal to the lowest common denominator of the x-box live audience.
Using a zombie as meatshield, dodgy art-direction and a team with a record that reads like a brown stain in a pair of discared undies.
I could understand if people are cautiously optimistic because capcom is helping out or because they like the scenario of the game. But on the other hand you gotta accept that people might be very sceptical about the whole thing.
To me it's shaping up to be another dreadlocked Bionic Commando.

Meaning that it will be fucking awesome and GOTY like BC was?
Hopefully ;)

alf717

So far the entire main canon of RE has been released on PC. I'm starting to feel a little more hype for this game. I am still holding off for some in-game pictures and videos though before I go over the top.

Glad to see Capcom is following its usual spin-off routine with the franchise, handling the designs rather than outsourcing everything. Looking good so far! :)

when are we going to get a new old school RE? this looks just like to much of a shooter, I want to worry about run out of bullets if i do relay on it to much

alf717 said:
So far the entire main canon of RE has been released on PC. I'm starting to feel a little more hype for this game. I am still holding off for some in-game pictures and videos though before I go over the top.

CVX?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Prime Blue said:
Glad to see Capcom is following its usual spin-off routine with the franchise, handling the designs rather than outsourcing everything. Looking good so far! :)
While Capcom has oversight and double checks the work that's done, Capcom has made clear that most of the design work is done by the outsourcing studio when they do these projects.

Eurogamer said:
Eurogamer: I'll look forward to it. Can you tell us exactly how this collaboration between Ninja Theory, Capcom Japan and Capcom America works?

Alex Jones: Capcom Japan is in a creative oversight role, to make sure that we hang onto what's essential about Devil May Cry. Then there's me, from Capcom America. I've got management of the project on a logistical level, and then Ninja Theory are the creators.

Motohide Eshiro: To build on what Alex has said, one of the things that we want to try with this new development method, with three studios working in tandem, is to work closely with Capcom America and be able to blend the best of both of our methods.

There's an American producing and management style and there's a distinct Japanese style, and we want to work together in a way that draws out the best of both styles, resulting in a unique product.

Eurogamer: Do you think fans might be a little worried about this reboot?

Tameem Antoniades: Oh, they are. Big time.

Eurogamer: Why do you think that is, and what would you say to reassure them?

Tameem Antoniades: It's a new developer doing it, isn't it? I think Itsuna-san is best-placed to answer this question about how to reassure people.

Hideaki Itsuno: Of course long-time fans are worried about us handing over such a big title to another company, another development team. But what myself and Eshiro-san want to convey is that people shouldn't be worried or concerned, it's nothing like that.

We've worked with Ninja Theory for a long time in pre-development, and we've seen that they're really talented and they have a lot of know-how, and we know that they're very serious about making this game good.

We've conveyed what we're looking for, and all of the knowledge and experience that we have, and now it's up to them to take it in a new direction. We feel that they have the confidence and talent to do that.

We don't really know how the final product will turn out. Nobody does. But we're going into this very positively, and we're looking forward very much to what Ninja Theory can make out of this title. We're looking forward to it, and we hope that the fans will also look forward to it and feel positive.
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-22-dmc-devil-may-cry-interview

Teknoman

jump_button said:
when are we going to get a new old school RE? this looks just like to much of a shooter, I want to worry about run out of bullets if i do relay on it to much

You sir, need a 3DS.

BIONIC-ARRRMMM!! said:
Meaning that it will be fucking awesome and GOTY like BC was?
Hopefully ;)
Yeah, maybe the stealh cloak is that dude's
dead wife
Ellis Kim said:
4 pouches.
It still looks shit, because the overall design is silly.

Ellis Kim said:
You know, you almost sound like you're describing this mute videogame character who you've endeared to as this fuzzy warm thing that you can insert your own voice into. In fact, you almost sound like you're describing Nathan Drake, the "every-man who makes his way through impossible odds with nothing but a gun and the skin on his back."
I never said he was an every-man, that's your interpretation of my words and exactly what I feared you might say, because you seem like the irrational person to make assumptions like that.
I only stated that Hunk is a normal human who does his job. He has neither superhuman abilties, nor special gadgets. That's the archetype he represents, if you're not able to understand this simple logic you're to blame.
He's a normal person and not a freak like those new characters.
(spoiler alert)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFfBon-s3Uo#t=3m11s
Ellis Kim said:
He's not some "normal" dude. He has that nickname for a reason, and he's good at what he does because of who he is. Hunk, at best, is a highly skilled and valued asset to Umbrella who just happens to have a very high survival rate.
It seems we are having different opinions of what "normal" means. With normal I meant that he is no supermutant freak but a normal operative. So either you couldn't tell this from the context of my posts, which I doubt, because I explained it in great detail, or you're just trying to start a flamewar with the junior to get him to do something silly and get banned.
Also you started that whole silly discussion with your snarky remark about me "not liking hunk" to somehow imply I'm no real fan of the franchise.

Also this is not about "realism" as you put it, this is about the coherent style of the series.
Those new characters just don't fit into the resident evil world, because their design is way too amateurish and too obviously catering to specific focus-groups.

I don't like the art design and I think the game is probably going to suck, judging from the developers track-record and you're the one turning this into this huge bitchfight about hunk and realism by bringing up all kinds of strawmen and when I adress them you're bringing up new ones. This is silly, so please stop it.

Nirolak said:
While Capcom has oversight and double checks the work that's done, Capcom has made clear that most of the design work is done by the outsourcing studio when they do these projects.
I meant the Resident Evil franchise. So far, they handled the conceptual phases for all spin-offs (story, character design etc.) themself.

Lord_Byron28 said:
Resident Evil Revelations
Half-breed. :/

dankir

So I saw the scans, games looks pretty hopefully we get some direct feed.

Will this game basically attempt to change the time line of the first 5 games? If they're trying to kill Leon then right?

dankir said:
So I saw the scans, games looks pretty hopefully we get some direct feed.

Will this game basically attempt to change the time line of the first 5 games? If they're trying to kill Leon then right?
Seems more like they're trying to have some fun with the series after the restrictions they had to work with in Resident Evil 5.

Beardz said:
Long arms are long... they almost reach his ankles.
No they don't, they touch right before his knees unless he has a huge upper body and incredibly short legs

Prime Blue said:
Half-breed. :/
RE4 controls with traditional, old school RE atmosphere and setting is all I've been asking for since RE4 so it works for me.

Lord_Byron28 said:
RE4 controls with traditional, old school RE atmosphere and setting is all I've been asking for since RE4 so it works for me.
Well, we'll see. I appreciate that they try, but I just don't think they can do it truly old-school with the over-the-shoulder camera and the "hasty" gameplay of RE4/RE5. From the current gameplay movies, they are repeating the same stupid mistakes they made with "Lost in Nightmares" (constant BGM, predictable scares, protagonists moving too fast).

What restrictions? Also RE5 was made inhouse and not by slant6.
With RE5, their target was to wrap up all loose ends, so they had to be careful with earlier characters and contradictions. Those restrictions. They purposely disregard those this time, it seems. Also, it's absolutely sure that the scenario for Operation Raccoon City is being done internally by Capcom – so far, they never let anyone else handle the story (and as Kawata said, the idea for the game came from Capcom during Lost Planet 2, they just needed an outside developer to take care of the actual implementation).

Mr_Zombie

alf717 said:
What about CV(X) and Zero? Yeah, those weren't the greatest RE games but c'mon, they weren't as bad as to not include them in the main canon :(

(of course you can play those two through emulators, but they still hasn't been properly released ;))

sleepykyo

Looking at the scans, it looks like Slant 6 got a better budget or is just more comfortable with the consoles now. Unless the game runs at 20fps it looks better than Confrontation.

Some info from OPM (accidentally posted in the old thread)

- One of the main missions of the game is to “kill Leon” thus signifying the ability to change the history of Resident Evil.

- You’re able to use enemies (like zombies) as cover even while moving.

- Like other third-person shooters you’ll also be able to take cover behind objects like stationary vehicles.

- The game will pay respects to the classic titles (Resident Evil 2 and 3) by bringing back that sense of horror that’s been missing.

- The base inspiration for the foundation of the game is noted as being Resident Evil 2.

- We’ll get more insight towards Mr. X before he was sent to Raccoon City to pursue Leon/ Claire.

- Leon is your main prey throughout the game (in regards to the USS team)

- Previous controls have been abandoned in place for a more modern control set akin to today’s third-person shooters.

- Capcom is behind such a change in game-play and this is why they approached Slant Six over the development of such a project.

- As aforementioned you’ll be able to grab enemies and use them as cover which will add to the game’s team-based strategic style.

- We’re going to get a very dark look at the classic city in the game with new and iconic locales.

- The end of the demo showed off a battle with Mr. X.

- The USS team takes their inspiration largely from Mr. Death himself, the 4th survivor Hunk. The team is also situated on Rockfort Island which is another locale fans recognize.

- Hunters and Lickers are confirmed and they’ll be able to also mow down zombies if they’re in the way of their destruction.

- Operation Raccoon City will let players see the story of the Resident Evil universe (pre-RE4) from a whole new perspective.

- Shooting lights will be one of the mechanics in the game and doing so will help you stay clear of zombies due to them being attracted to said light.

- Environments will have destructible objects for you to use agains the hordes of zombies.

- Beltway, Vector, Spectre, and Bertha will be your soldiers. They look a lot more stylized than we anticipated, but they’ve gotta have personality right? Beltway seems to be the explosive guy, Vector is the residential ninja who can apparently become invisible, Spectre specializes in snipers and surveillance, and lastly, Bertha is one sick dominatrix crazy lady with a bone saw.

- Capcom remains silent over topics relating to the game’s multiplayer mode and what other surprises the game’s story may have for players. We’ll likely hear more about this game at E3 so stay tuned.

Can't post a link due to the site hosting scans.

Repost:

Seeing as this is based on HUNK's allies, I hope this has a remake of The 4th Survivor included. Including playable Tofu! :D

------------

Not sure if I like the whole 'killing Leon' thing. I saw him die enough whilst playing RE4.

Zenith

Banned
Leon is your main prey throughout the game (in regards to the USS team)

I think that's weird. Before RE4 retconned Leon into a "genius" secret service agent he was just a regular cop. That's what was so good about him in RE2. I don't see why Umbrella would choose to dispatch a team for him and not Kevin Ryman, Marvin Branagh or Chief Irons, especially as Mr. X was already dropped off at the RPD.

Vrakanox

BTW, in the scans in the shot where Leon is shooting zombies you can spot two new characters on the roof top helping him out. New characters perhaps? Spec Ops?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I have to say, so far I'm impressed and looking forward to seeing more.

I find it quite amazing that Slant Six went from bad SOCOM offshoots to making a bigger game than the creators of the SOCOM series.

Chinner

Banned
Zenith said:
I think that's weird. Before RE4 retconned Leon into a "genius" secret service agent he was just a regular cop. That's what was so good about him in RE2. I don't see why Umbrella would choose to dispatch a team for him and not Kevin Ryman, Marvin Branagh or Chief Irons, especially as Mr. X was already dropped off at the RPD.
did they retcon it? i thought he acknowledges that he was a cop and then after re2 he join the secret service and becomes super leon?

GrayFoxPL

From thread that got locked before I clicked "post".

Mit- said:
Scans are out there from OPM. Atleast the graphics are looking passable. Mr. X looks particularly badass :) Leon's looking badass too, which, I actually don't like... He's supposed to be a rookie cop in the middle of a zombie outbreak. Most people aren't very calm and collected during something like that.

The cast looks a bit lame. Just a little bit too over the top. Not a big fan of cloaking, either. I'm expecting them to be emotionless bastards that serve as nothing but tools for us to play the game, though, so whatever.

Have not given up hope on this yet.

After seeing the scans my hope got a green herb and uped from red "Danger" to orange "Caution" status. I still don't feel all this "killing the survivors including Leon" shit. Feels wrong, no survival, just murder.

Maybe the game will have "Mercenaries - backwards" mode aka "Survivors" where you can play as Leon, Jill etc.

Btw. Leon looks great in the screens. I don't see any major changes to his re2 design apart being little more buff, but not anywhere close to the gorilla Chris was in RE5.
And hey, wouldn't you call a badass someone who lived through zombie outbreak? I would. :)

I share your opinion on the cast. I feel this had potential to have a great story, but you're probably right that they may be just flat Hunk clones with no personality. Who knows maybe we'll see them unmasked and there will be something to them.

Anyway, I'm getting interested in this!

Zenith said:
He wasn't retconned into a secret service agent. He got offered the job after the events of RE2. I imagine they trained him after he got the job. This seems like a retcon though. Leon wasn't a big deal in RE2 and I don't know why Umbrella would pin point him to be killed. Unless the USS simply saw Leon and went to kill him because he was a survivor.

I'm slightly interested in Rockfort Island. Although at the same time it makes me think more of the chronicles game than a fully fleshed out game taking place in Raccoon city if they are also going to have them do a mission in Rockfort.

Prime Blue said:
Well, we'll see. I appreciate that they try, but I just don't think they can do it truly old-school with the over-the-shoulder camera and the "hasty" gameplay of RE4/RE5. From the current gameplay movies, they are repeating the same stupid mistakes they made with "Lost in Nightmares" (constant BGM, predictable scares, protagonists moving too fast).
Yeah we'll have to see. It's kind of hard to tell based on a quick trailer. Also it seems like the boat will just be the first opening area like Rockfort Island or the train in 0. At the very least they are trying to make it more like old school traditional horror.

Chinner

Banned
i think it'd be good if you couldn't actually kill leon. thats probably the direction they'll go if it stays remotely in cannon. also, wouldn't jill be more of an obvious target?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Chinner said:
i think it'd be good if you couldn't actually kill leon. thats probably the direction they'll go if it stays remotely in cannon. also, wouldn't jill be more of an obvious target?
Well, this is one of the game's taglines.

"* Operation Raccoon City, depending on how you play the game, will give you the option to "change the history of Resident Evil". Not only will you have the chance to meet and interact with various characters from the series, but you'll even have the opportunity to kill them."

randomwab

Zenith said:

Not only that, but going by RE2's story which I take as canon, he just arrived in town and sort of fell into everything as a pure rookie. Hunting Leon post RE2 because of what he knew/saw/survived would make sense. During RE2? Stupid.

elohel

Nirolak said:
I have to say, so far I'm impressed and looking forward to seeing more.

I find it quite amazing that Slant Six went from bad SOCOM offshoots to making a bigger game than the creators of the SOCOM series.

did u play socom did you like it?

just curious

i didnt think it was that bad i think they're just new

and that is kinda funny going on to do a game bigger than socom franchise lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
elohel said:
did u play socom did you like it?

just curious

i didnt think it was that bad i think they're just new

and that is kinda funny going on to do a game bigger than socom franchise lol
I'm basing that statement off of what my SOCOM playing friend told me, so admittedly I can't judge their output directly.

The definitely seem to have come a long way.

Concept17 said:
I'm confused... is this all multiplayer or am I missing something?
If I'm understanding it right, there's a singleplayer campaign that can be played in four player co-op, and several (competitive?) multiplayer modes they're not unveiling yet.

Zenith

Banned
Chinner said:
did they retcon it? i thought he acknowledges that he was a cop and then after re2 he join the secret service and becomes super leon?

not the ss stuff (although for me that's still a big change in the character), but in Ada's PS2 addon she describes him in the intro as "practically a genius" which is one trait that didn't need to be added.

Top Bottom