• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (PC, X360, PS3) [Update 2: Lots Of New Details]

cvxfreak

Darkshier said:
Nemesis is taking care of that.

Well, it wasn't Nemesis' exclusive duty to take Jill out. Nicholai had the same goal.

But this is a retcon in many ways, so we'll just have to take it as it goes. The game still looks interesting.

G-Fex

It's a big clusterfuck what with jill/carlos and leon/claire and of course the one who knows a little more than them; Ada.

Nemesis is after Jill/stars members. Mr. X is after ..I guess anyone in the police station and since it confronts Leon and Claire it focuses on them.

Which is why I guess you could possibly take on some good cameos of RE2 monsters in this game.

Luigiv

BattleMonkey said:
I like how people are already trying to write it off
Did you miss the part were it said you could kill the series protagonists? It doesn't get any more non-canonical as that. :/

GQman2121

Banned
I still can't believe S6 are behind this. What a move to transition from developing PSP games; to a horrible, horrible online only shooter; and then on to one of the biggest franchises of the last decade. It's incredible really.

Teknoman

5 bucks says the mission you take to "kill Leon" ends with him barely escaping and objectives being rewritten. The whole "play RE2/3 from a different perspective" is enough for me. Shooting out lights sounds nice and makes it seem like the game will maintain a somewhat tactical approach...hopefully.

RustyNails said:
Just because your mission is to kill Leon doesn't mean you will succeed...mission could fail you know.

This. I'm sure you guys have played games where your objective was to do one thing, and that suddenly changed right as you were about to succeed. Also they really REALLY need to incorporate some of the other classic RE2/3 themes.

Teknoman

Also you most likely arent going after Leon as your main mission. It'll probably become an objective once he "knows too much".

Luigiv said:
Did you miss the part were it said you could kill the series protagonists? It doesn't get any more non-canonical as that. :/
This is what I don't get. While I probably will get this game they couldve taken the exact same concept but instead set in africa after RE5. At the end of RE5 there were still a lot of bows running around. Take the same concept just replace the setting and characters with tricell and bsaa instead of umbrella and spec ops. Allowing you to kill chris jill sheva and josh. The events of raccoon city have been touched upon tons of times. They couldve made a canon spinoff on a different and somewhat different setting.

G-Fex

Teknoman said:
Also you most likely arent going after Leon as your main mission. It'll probably become an objective once he "knows too much".

This is hard to understand.

Literally NOBODY was around Leon/Claire. Except maybe Ada. Who else? The reporter dude? He died. How could they be monitoring Leon? I guess by Camera in the underground labs?

I didn't finish darkside chronicles so if i'm missing something.

Sides that don't sweat it, I'm sure it's just a little retcon thingy.

lupinko

GQman2121 said:
I still can't believe S6 are behind this. What a move to transition from developing PSP games; to a horrible, horrible online only shooter; and then on to one of the biggest franchises of the last decade. It's incredible really.

Capcom saw what they liked with Vancouver studios (then Blue Castle Games, now Capcom Games Studio Vancouver) and went with what was next local?

ezekial45

Banned
G-Fex said:
I didn't keep up on that stuff but is Socom that bad?
I haven't played it, but i remember seeing a glitch compilation video. And it looked pretty atrocious. Not just bugs, but just design flaws. I remember one where the guy was hiding behind cover and he wanted to toss a grenade out. The grenade ended up bouncing off the cover he was hiding behind because it was only designed to be tossed from one hand specific hand, which was behind the cover. o_O

G-Fex said:
This is hard to understand.

Literally NOBODY was around Leon/Claire. Except maybe Ada. Who else? The reporter dude? He died. How could they be monitoring Leon? I guess by Camera in the underground labs?

I didn't finish darkside chronicles so if i'm missing something.

Sides that don't sweat it, I'm sure it's just a little retcon thingy.
Darkside chronicles really doesn't add to the RE story other than explain krausers origins and explain what happened between them. They change it to leon and claire sticking together but the same events unfold. Mr x still barges in randomnly, steve birkin continually mutates, leon and ada establish a bond and is led to believe she is dead, claire establishes a bond with sherry and finds the vaccination to save her. There was never anything new introduced that RE2 didn't cover.

G-Fex

ezekial45 said:
I haven't played it, but i remember seeing a glitch compilation video. And it looked pretty atrocious. Not just bugs, but just design flaws. I remember one where the guy was hiding behind cover and he wanted to toss a grenade out. The grenade ended up bouncing off the cover he was hiding behind because it was only designed to be tossed from one hand specific hand, which was behind the cover. o_O

eeeee

That's pretty bad.

Lord_Byron28 said:
Darkside chronicles really doesn't add to the RE story other than explain krausers origins and explain what happened between them. They change it to leon and claire sticking together but the same events unfold. Mr x still barges in randomnly, steve birkin continually mutates, leon and ada establish a bond and is led to believe she is dead, claire establishes a bond with sherry and finds the vaccination to save her. There was never anything new introduced that RE2 didn't cover.

Then yeah still nobody is really around, they're the last survivors (besides Jill/Carlos) And god knows who else they added in those RE lightgun games.

As long as they don't do something like "Wesker or the head of Umbrella guy saw Leon on camera and that he knew too much and sent the team after him"

G-Fex said:
eeeee

That's pretty bad.

Then yeah still nobody is really around, they're the last survivors (besides Jill/Carlos) And god knows who else they added in those RE lightgun games.

As long as they don't do something like "Wesker or the head of Umbrella guy saw Leon on camera and that he knew too much and sent the team after him"
I believe in umbrella chronicles they establish ada was working for wesker or pretending to. and that he was able to contact and keep tabs on her. She also escaped by hookshoting onto an important umbrella person helicopter that was flying away with important info and I believe a bow. So who knows what they'll do.

GQman2121 said:

between this, Dead Rising 2, and DmC, it's clear that Capcom's plan is to hire cheaper studios and just instruct them on how to make the game.

Teknoman

The umbrella team could have been three steps behind you at all times in RE2 and you would've never know it. Either that or they came in early and spotted Leon later. For all we know, there might just be glimpses of Leon pushing crates around, only to run off as soon as you turn the corner.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
G-Fex said:
I didn't keep up on that stuff but is Socom that bad?

Yes. Yes, it is. So terrible that a year later THE PROMISED FEATURES ON THE BOX STILL WEREN'T THERE. It took them 1.5 years to even GET the game to be what they advertised on the box and even then it's still broken and clunky and terrible.

I got into the beta. Was turned off. Got it for free from PS Home in a contest. Even free I still feel ripped off by Confrontation, and that's not including the terrible Socom community that killed my masochism of playing the game.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/user/Blackwido88 <---NSFW

Check out any of that dude's "Socom is dead" videos. He's part of the "terrible Socom community" I was talking about, but he brings up valid points with Confrontation's terribad gameplay.

I haven't played a lot of RE games, so forgive me for not knowing more, but why do they want to kill Leon of all people? I mean, isn't he just some random rookie during the outbreak? Why does the USS (?) give a crap? Also, will Hunk be in this game?

Do you play as any of the RE protagonists or just the Spec Op/USS team?

On a separate note, I'm about to watch Resident Evil Degeneration... this thread reminded me that RE4 had a sequel with Leon in it. Hope it's fun.

Teknoman said:
The umbrella team could have been three steps behind you at all times in RE2 and you would've never know it. Either that or they came in early and spotted Leon later. For all we know, there might just be glimpses of Leon pushing crates around, only to run off as soon as you turn the corner.

Resident Evil: Opposing Force.

G-Fex

shadyspace said:
Leon, Sherry, Claire, Jill, Carlos and Ada are really the only ones to get out of Raccoon City alive?

A little guy named HUNK.

Hey do those Outbreak games count?

TheSeks said:
Yes. Yes, it is. So terrible that a year later THE PROMISED FEATURES ON THE BOX STILL WEREN'T THERE. It took them 1.5 years to even GET the game to be what they advertised on the box and even then it's still broken and clunky and terrible.

I got into the beta. Was turned off. Got it for free from PS Home in a contest. Even free I still feel ripped off by Confrontation, and that's not including the terrible Socom community that killed my masochism of playing the game.

That's pretty bad. Man this is discouraging.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
G-Fex said:
That's pretty bad. Man this is discouraging.

Me said:
Edit: http://www.youtube.com/user/Blackwido88 <---NSFW

Check out any of that dude's "Socom is dead" videos. He's part of the "terrible Socom community" I was talking about, but he brings up valid points with Confrontation's terribad gameplay.

Seriously, check that shit out. Unless Capcom has given them all the time in the world and Slant Six has learned from their mistakes, DO NOT BUY THIS SHIT UNTIL AT LEAST A YEAR HAS PASSED.

So surely the person asking those questions in the new interview in the OP is some EA plant, right? Some of those questions....

"Survival Horror is awful and everyone hates it, EXCEPT FOR DEAD SPACE. What's up with that Capcom?" ;D

I thought it was really weird and kind of disrespectful.

G-Fex

Gunloc said:
So surely the person asking those questions in the new interview in the OP is some EA plant, right? Some of those questions....

"Survival Horror is awful and everyone hates it, EXCEPT FOR DEAD SPACE. What's up with that Capcom?" ;D

I refuse to believe that's the only survival horror these days besides RE5, and RE5 came out a looooong time ago. Guess everyone's ignoring SH and Amnesia?

Gunloc said:

I think he was in the right to ask the question (due to DS's popularity), but you're right, it came off as a little odd how it's phrased.

Besides Dead Space 2 isn't really Survival Horror, it's Action Horror (though ramping up the difficulty changes that a bit), there's a difference. Proper Survival Horror would be stuff like SH, old RE games, and like Amnesia or something.

Your paraphrasing was hilarious though.

RustyNails said:
Just because your mission is to kill Leon doesn't mean you will succeed...mission could fail you know.

THIS, they should do ala HEAVY RAIN that if you don´t kill LEON it doesn´t mean GAME OVER it only means that the story goes on with the original story.

G-Fex

TheSeks said:
Seriously, check that shit out. Unless Capcom has given them all the time in the world and Slant Six has learned from their mistakes, DO NOT BUY THIS SHIT UNTIL AT LEAST A YEAR HAS PASSED.

I did.

This is going to be one of those things where the game comes out bugged and what reviewers call incomplete huh? :\

Magnus

Man does this game concept ever sound like an RE fan's wet dream. I can't wait for a modern RE set back in Raccoon City and away from the (let's face it) inferior settings in RE4 and 5. I dug the village, castle, and some locales in 5, sure, but man, nothing is as RE as Raccoon City.

Vrakanox

Magnus said:
Man does this game concept ever sound like an RE fan's wet dream. I can't wait for a modern RE set back in Raccoon City and away from the (let's face it) inferior settings in RE4 and 5. I dug the village, castle, and some locales in 5, sure, but man, nothing is as RE as Raccoon City.

That's exactly what I thought when it was first revealed. It does look a lot darker than RE5 as well. I guess most people are skeptical because it will be even more action oriented, and apparently the developers have a bad rep.

G-Fex

SalsaShark said:
just realized we're probably gonna see an updated Nemesis

fuckin A

So long as they don't add anything stupid to him or make him look too different.

Hopefully they won't.

One thing though will it be more like GRAND THEFT AUTO; where you have all this big map available for you to discover and doing the missions at the same time, or will it be like SILENT HILL where you had this big map but you couldn´t explore much of it until you continue with the story.

arnoldocastillo2003 said:
One thing though will it be more like GRAND THEFT AUTO; where you have all this big map available for you to discover and doing the missions at the same time, or will it be like SILENT HILL where you had this big map but you couldn´t explore much of it until you continue with the story.

For some reason I doubt it'll have an open world...

Doomsayer

Idea sounds pretty awesome, I hope they can back it up.

I for one miss the Resident Evil of old. REMake was probably the greatest "New Gen" Resident Evil. Resident Evil 2 will always be the best in my eyes.

I really dislike the whole meatshield with a zombie idea. I don't like the XP system, either. I will give this a chance though.

Mr. X, Birkin, and Nemesis(?) in HD is going to be amazing.

lol interviewer called Dead Space survival horror and said it leads the pack? That crap series is barely a decent third person shooter.

G-Fex

Discotheque said:
lol interviewer called Dead Space survival horror and said it leads the pack? That crap series is barely a decent third person shooter.
AFAIK the survival horror genre is on it's last leg. So I've heard.

What are good current survival horror games?

Top Bottom