• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil (Netflix series) teaser trailer revealed

hlm666

I finished this last night. My biggest gripe is that they tied it to the game Wesker so it made the casting harder to ignore. I didn't hate it, will watch the 2nd season if it happens but they should have just totally made it their own world/characters. Then they should have explained the racoon city breakout in their world to explain what we are supposed to think happened there.

killatopak

Gold Member

Gg3n8X1.jpg

assurdum

Banned
I actually enjoyed most of it. I understand that the backstory and present were intended to meet at a crescendo in the final episode, but the backstory really should've ended by episode 5, it dragged the rest of the show down until the finale. Another thing that bothered me was the amount of tension being built up in the flashbacks in the first two episodes really didn't go anywhere. All of the revelatory stuff about Wesker later on was good, but I really thought we'd at least get to see
some of the initial outbreak and ensuing chaos, which we don't - at all.

It's enjoyable overall, when it ramps up the tension its great. I didn't really feel the backstory detracted too much for it, but some of the later episodes dragged a bit because of it. Good foundation for the next series.
I have nothing against your coprophilia. I don't blame you.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Finished the 8 episodes, and it took me the 8 episodes to realize that the producers behind this apparently are the ones behind the entire movie saga. The name felt familiar but I only googled it at the very end.

So to me, that explains quite a lot to be honest - because besides the first one, the rest of the movie saga legit suck ass. It's unbelievable how they are is still doing things related to the Resident Evil franchise. Either they signed a lifetime contract or I don't know.

Anyway, I feel like if they had stripped the Resident Evil name out of it, it would be a decent enough watchable show, not great, but watchable, but considering they didn't, it's kind of oofers.

The true essence of the Resident Evil is forgotten - sure you have some brief moments the show manages to borrow from the source material, but those are pretty few.

I sure as hell laughed at the whole Black Wesker thing, because it's surreal how they decided to go with that. They even recognize in the show that Wesker died in a volcano - which pretty much is the same as acknowledging the events that took place in the games narrative. And that is the same as saying Wesker was white back then, not black.

Nothing against the actor - Lance Riddick -, because for me he was the star of the show and his role was pretty good and what carried the season for me. But canon wise, it didn't make sense and the decision feels very woke. Let's face it - OG Albert Wesker is legit pure evil and methodical. They found a dumbass way to make him look more softy and change his race in the process, because...?

And then there's the twin plot - which is boredom as hell. At the very end Billie Wesker says something right on the spot - Jade tries so fucking hard to always be the star of the show, that pretty much spoils the whole narrative.

If this gets green-lighted for a season 2 I would be surprised. And the whole reason I would be aboard with it is if it had more Lance Riddick.

Last edited:

Js562

I’ve got through 2 episodes and it is hot garbage. Does it get any better?
Not for me. It doesn't get any better even with more enemies from the game they add in. Trying to finish it because I like Resident Evil. Time wasted watching it but that's up to you lol
trash GIF

Outlier

I must be the only person who was actually engaged with the show.

Was it amazing? no.

Was it resident evil? No.

Was it well paced? Maybe not. The episode could have been 5-10 minutes shorter, if they cut the obvious padding and filler.

Was the acting good? I think so, yes. I don't remember any of the important characters being "bad". They all did at least FINE.

Were the special effects good? I was impressed to see there were better than I'd expected, for a show. Didn't have a single problem with them.

Was Blade Wesker reveal a badass moment? Yes indeed it was, for me. I'm glad they did it.

Did I give a damn about the race swapping and the wokisms? No. They didn't shove any of it down my throat, so I wasn't bothered by it.

Conclusion:
I actually liked it over all. I could do with less filler/padding and a less kunty grown up teenager Billie, but I thought they did a fine job.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Lance Reddick doesn't deserve this blight on his career. I'm sure he doesn't give a fuck and is laughing all the way to the bank, but I still feel bad for him. I decided to skip through some episodes as I wait for my cancelled Netflix account to expire, and good lord. It is even worse than the memes make it out to be. Watching it unfold in action, while the actors earnestly belt out these impossibly stupid lines, is something to witness.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Tried to watch this last night with the wife. Finished two episodes. We won't be going back to it. Laughably shit, and I'm not even a huge RE fan either.

But they already did perfect it. They had the original PlayStation games.

Despite the pixelated graphics, I don't really mind the outdated feel to those titles. But they destroyed Raccoon City with a missile in the original RE3. And considering that game was released in 1999, it's kind of lame how they constantly do all of this media about Raccoon City's destruction. I'd rather they just completely moved on from that era.

The thing is too, most of the times when they revisit Raccoon City in the franchise, it's not even supposed to be canonical anyway. This has been going on since at least 2007. Because the Wii shooters only count the new material as canon, while I assume the flashbacks are just "What if?" type scenarios. And I don't know about the real remakes, but I have to assume they are in their own continuity separate from the mainline versions.

Even so. It's like Capcom is stuck in the year 1998. Or it's arguably now a case that they're bound to revisit other years, since they're constantly remaking everything. But I don't know. It's making them a shit ton of dough either way, but it's still rather sad how they've been doing the same type of storylines, over and over again.

Last edited:
til they get it right.
This right here.

Raccoon City is the iconic location associated with Resident Evil; nothing else in the Resident Evil universe comes even remotely close.

Making a Resident Evil not set in Raccoon City is like making a Superman not set in Metropolis, or Batman not set in Gotham. You CAN (and should) expand out from the original city, but you've got to get it right.

It's ridiculous how many failed attempts the media has had to do live action Resident Evil. Seriously, just take the first 3 games and you've got enough material there for 2 or even 3 seasons. Even if after they played the games they're struggling to get a script, just take the S.D. Perry novelizations of the first 3 games as your base and boom, you've got material.

AFTER THAT, if the show wants to expand into a live action extended "universe" of Resident Evil (like this series seems to be), that can work. But going straight into the extended universe using the Resident Evil name, and cheap easter eggs ("oh yeah, I recognize the name 'Albert Wesker,' cool..." Or "oh yeah there's a licker" or whatever) is not effective, at least to draw in the fans of the games who just want to see fun and interesting adaptations of the games we know.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
If they get a second season I saw they want to introduce Lady D. I almost want them to get a second season just so I can see how badly they fuck her up.

Well, I finished watching the series with my wife and good God almighty, this wasn't it. Let me preface this by saying I'm an OG Resident Evil fan so I felt obligated to check this out. Let me also say I couldn't care less about what the "Internet" has to say about any given show, movie, game etc be it good or ill, I experience stuff for myself and draw my own conclusions. Having said all that I'll start with what I liked:

Pros

- Lance Reddick, he's great in absolutely everything. Been a fan since The Wire and especially dug his work in Fringe, if you know you know.

- the gore and familiar creatures. I like that didn't hold back with all the bloody fun, chainsaw scene in particular was dope. Seeing the dogs, lickers, spider, crocodile etc was cool.

Cons

- everything else. This whole teeny bopper backdrop is one of the most baffling decisions I've ever seen. Eye-rollingly vapid, boring, irritating. The two actresses talentless, uncharismatic, their adult versions not much better.

- pacing is crap, writing is comically bad most of the time, none of the characters besides Wesker (and his ilk) are likeable. Towards the end my wife got so frustrated at Jade and her moronic decisions that she literally started saying "are you stupid??" out loud lol.

There will undoubtedly be a season 2, I'm done with the series though, what a colossal wasted opportunity.

Last edited:
ive watched it all and been entertained slightly ( literally has nothing to do with resident evil other than some fan crumbs ) but christ that last episode was a shitshow lol

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm 4 episodes in. struggling to keep going. i'd have gave up on it but i can't. i hate not finishing a tv show once i start even if it's bad :messenger_tears_of_joy: the only thing i'm interested in seeing is what happens to Billie. Jade is annoying.

Last edited:
Regardless of whether you like RE or not, Capcom has gone back to the goddamn city way too many times in pointless mediums. If they knew destroying the city wasn't a bright idea, then that's really too bad. They made that call. But going back to 1998 and Raccoon City over and over again isn't helping this franchise to move forward at all, because they're stuck rehashing the same old shit.

Even the RE2 remake wasn't a faithful remake. They just called it RE2 and had shades of the original RE2 in it. But the first remake is a superior remake in every single way.

Now I know that remakes don't usually retain things from the original, in a scene by scene sort of manner that often, but the first remake did a great job of recapturing the original's strong points and expanding upon it. Those other remakes didn't really do that. And yet a lot of people seem to forget that, and think RE4 will do well.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Tried the first 20 min and holy shit at how fucking bad it is.

How can people watch 8 episodes of this crap?

I don't get it either. It will only give Netflix the wrong idea that despite the low ratings and bad reviews, there's still an audience hungry for unadulterated crap and they'll order more seasons to satisfy the unexpected demand for hot steaming shit.

Well, you don't need a high IQ to know they're just doing it for the money. We already had that poorly received movie reboot shoved down our throats less than a year ago, which no-one asked for either. But the funny thing is, that even the lame Paul Anderson movies weren't as bad as that was. How ironic, right?

But it's about time they left Raccoon City the crater they made it become, way back in the nineties. This is 2022, for crying out loud. Capcom has been milking the same cow until it has gotten so dry. You cannot even get a droplet of milk out of it at this point. It's like powder, and you have to add water so it appears like it's genuinely milk again.

GymWolf

I don't get it either. It will only give Netflix the wrong idea that despite the low ratings and bad reviews, there's still an audience hungry for unadulterated crap and they'll order more seasons to satisfy the unexpected demand for hot steaming shit.
I'm not new to finishing terrible stuff after i started it, but this is a whole new type of terrible...

Regardless of whether you like RE or not, Capcom has gone back to the goddamn city way too many times in pointless mediums. If they knew destroying the city wasn't a bright idea, then that's really too bad. They made that call. But going back to 1998 and Raccoon City over and over again isn't helping this franchise to move forward at all, because they're stuck rehashing the same old shit.

Even the RE2 remake wasn't a faithful remake. They just called it RE2 and had shades of the original RE2 in it. But the first remake is a superior remake in every single way.

Now I know that remakes don't usually retain things from the original, in a scene by scene sort of manner that often, but the first remake did a great job of recapturing the original's strong points and expanding upon it. Those other remakes didn't really do that. And yet a lot of people seem to forget that, and think RE4 will do well.
its not set in 1998 or og racoon city.

The thing about the reboot RE, at least from the trailers, was it seemed to be closer to the source material than any of the movies prior to it. It seemed to have some of the OG characters at least.
I was keeping my expectations low, even though there was stuff that had me concerned. And even with those low expectations, it ended up so damn disappointing.

This poop, you can see was going to be bad no matter had they tried to sell it. Still tried to keep an open mind about it, even more disappointed than the reboot. I'd greenlight that reboot a 100 times before watching a sequel to this shit.

I think by now you have tried to make this point more times in this thread, than Capcom has revisited Raccoon City.

Give it a rest, dude. You're starting to sound like a crazy old man yelling at the clouds 😂

Sgt.Asher

its not set in 1998 or og racoon city.
Which is even more baffling. The writers said the games are cannon in this, yet umbrella is still a corporate entity, for some reason. They made a neo raccoon city, despite every person on the planet knowing umbrella caused the og raccoon city disaster.

It is a shit show with resident evil sprinkles. I still think the original script was for another show.

So a 4.0 then?
Haha.

Ah, I dunno. Like you see shows like The big bang theory getting a 8.2 rating and the UK show Mrs Brown's Boys getting a 7.1 - I understand it could be argued that humor is subjective with those shows - but an 3.9 for resident evil does sound harsh. Its not THAT bad.

Plenty of other garbage out. Take the meme generating movie The Room with Tommy Wiseau which has a 3.6 imdb rating. Now that's a bad movie with bad acting. Saying the RE show is only 0.3 points better is harsh imo.

Top Bottom