• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil (Netflix series) teaser trailer revealed

snatcherjunker

Neo Member
Give it a watch, its only 8 episodes and because of how mixed some of the users are on here, clearly some actually like it and you don't know if you'll be one of em. I love the RE series and maybe the best adaption for it is simply a whole cast of new characters and new story and sprinkled with a few established characters. The world they made can stand on its own and complements RE very well.

OK so I watched all 8 episodes and I actually found it entertaining. It's been awhile since I binged a show on Netflix, I hardly use it these days so thanks for the recommendation. Surprised they could make a cohesive storyline with something as complex as Resident Evil, especially with how the movies went. I did like all the homages to the video games, but felt it could standalone as well. Acting wasn't terrible either. I definitely felt some suspense here and there.

I wouldn't mind a second season.

Toots

Gold Member
Fragile much? Consume that product. Enjoy the fanfiction. I'm sorry you can't accept I know more about the games than you and can see this is nothing like Resident Evil.
You're such an expert that you cannot like the stuff you're an expert of anymore. That is sad.

Reality will never be as good as your headcannon but it doesn't mean it is not enjoyable, by others or you even.

I have one and a half ep to go. I finally watched the wesker clones scene and it was brilliantly kitsch, Lance cosplaying while still acting uber straight made me grin from ear to ear. This show is very fun, if you know this protip : just fast forward a bit when you start getting bored...

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
You're such an expert that you cannot like the stuff you're an expert of anymore. That is sad.

Reality will never be as good as your headcannon but it doesn't mean it is not enjoyable, by others or you even.

I have one and a half ep to go. I finally watched the wesker clones scene and it was brilliantly kitsch, Lance cosplaying while still acting uber straight made me grin from ear to ear. This show is very fun, if you know this protip : just fast forward a bit when you start getting bored...
Imagine getting this defensive over a resident evil show. I have other things to waste my time on. Congrats to you and anyone else who enjoys this trash.

I tried watching the first episode and I couldn't even make it more than halfway through before straight up quitting. I feel so completely disillusioned with the media world today. I don't know how else to describe it other than Grandpa Simpson's famous "it" quote. I ain't with it anymore, because this shit is not for me. I find it weird and scary.

FunkMiller

The beginning part with the family moving in and complaining about the new racoon city being full of weird white people was pretty disgusting. Can't really watch past that

Honestly, that’s the least of it. I can well imagine them saying something like that given how fake and manufactured the town is supposed to be. A perfectly understandable reaction.

The problem with the show is its terrible writing, worse acting, appalling story lines, character stupidity, boring tropes, and hackneyed dialogue. The diversity isn’t the issue at all.

Honestly, that’s the least of it. I can well imagine them saying something like that given how fake and manufactured the town is supposed to be. A perfectly understandable reaction.

The problem with the show is its terrible writing, worse acting, appalling story lines, character stupidity, boring tropes, and hackneyed dialogue. The diversity isn’t the issue at all.
Fantastic post, I fully agree.

I'm usually one to turn my nose at the sometimes forced/stupid "diversity" that has been ruining so many things as of late. But it's not the main problem here; far from it.

I will say, though (as I said long ago in a different thread related to this), the character that we know as "Albert Wesker" from the video games -- his whiteness is very much part of his villainy. So Lance Reddick as Wesker is kind of weird. He's a fantastic actor, and is easily the best thing about this trainwreck of a show. But, still...

The chick that plays adult Jade is extremely attractive. She looks like a model. Which is the problem -- too many models try to cross over into the performance arts (usually singing or acting) without having a lot of prior experience or training. So you end up with terrible acting. Usually such people end up being cast in stereotypical low budget shows -- hell, the CW seems to be full of such "models turned actors" type people. (And all of their shows suck.) But they shouldn't end up in big Netflix productions. Oh well...

EDIT: see my exchange with Reizo Ryuu Reizo Ryuu below, where he correctly points out that she is, indeed, NOT a professional model, and even went to an acting/drama school. So related to this specific actress, I'm 100% wrong about her background. But my overall point still stands, and her acting isn't great, so... 🤷🏾‍♂️

Last edited:

Vaelka

The beginning part with the family moving in and complaining about the new racoon city being full of weird white people was pretty disgusting. Can't really watch past that

Now make a show where white people say the same but about black people.

In all seriousness tho I am so fucking tired of this.
No one who isn't terminally online and hang around tankie larp circlejerks on Twitter, Reddit or Resetera hears that shit and doesn't cringe.

I am not a right-winger by any means but I think this shit legit does more harm than good to the causes these people think they're supporting.
Normal people just don't want to hear this shit.

Gudji

Season 9 Reaction GIF by The Office

mckmas8808

Banned
Wait for the next financials. More people will cancel their subscription after watching this turd 😅

I tried watching the first episode and I couldn't even make it more than halfway through before straight up quitting. I feel so completely disillusioned with the media world today. I don't know how else to describe it other than Grandpa Simpson's famous "it" quote. I ain't with it anymore, because this shit is not for me. I find it weird and scary.

Was it really that bad guys? Or are yall just joking? And did the bolded really happen?

mckmas8808

Banned
I'm not exaggerating when I say its a pile of shit. Total waste of time. Trust me and don't watch it.

Geez. It's on the front page of everything Netflix and I want to watch it so bad. But if it's trash, I don't want to waste my time. I can't believe that Netflix didn't do a better job here. Is Cowboy Bebop any good?

Geez. It's on the front page of everything Netflix and I want to watch it so bad. But if it's trash, I don't want to waste my time. I can't believe that Netflix didn't do a better job here. Is Cowboy Bebop any good?
It explains a little of why it's #1 viewed. Which isn't saying much considering the other shitty shows that had that distinction.

Cowboy Bebop also has very mixed views on whether it's good or not. I haven't seen it, but my friends that have are about 60/40 split on it. 60% being negative.

yazenov

Both are shit. But if you have free time and nothing else on your watch list, then decide for yourself and watch the first 2 episodes I guess :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Sgt.Asher

Cowboy Bepop was better, not saying much as it's still shit. Bepop does actually have some good scenes.
There wasn't a single quality moment in Resident Evil, or just scene of "eh not bad." Just crap all the way through, and not in unintentionally hilarious either.

Arcadialane

did the bolded really happen?

Yes it did. The girl says the people in their new neighbourhood are ''weird'' ''freaks'', and specially mentions that them being white is a reason for this

about 10 minutes into episode 1 driving though their new neighbourhood. Go check it out now on one of those 'free' streaming sites if need be.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

The chick that plays adult Jade is extremely attractive. She looks like a model. Which is the problem -- too many models try to cross over into the performance arts (usually singing or acting) without having a lot of prior experience or training.
Just because she's attractive doesn't mean she's a model...she went from school to acting school to working as an actress.

Just because she's attractive doesn't mean she's a model...she went from school to acting school to working as an actress.
I stand corrected... At least on the part of her being a professional model. You're right, she isn't.

I'm still correct though that the acting is kind of poor. So either the Guilford School of Acting needs to up their game, or... Well, not every graduate is going to be great, as evidenced here.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
It explains a little of why it's #1 viewed. Which isn't saying much considering the other shitty shows that had that distinction.

Cowboy Bebop also has very mixed views on whether it's good or not. I haven't seen it, but my friends that have are about 60/40 split on it. 60% being negative.

UGH!...... Didn't Cowboy Bebop just get an Emmy nomination? Because that's the only reason I put it on my watchlist.

Yes it did. The girl says the people in their new neighbourhood are ''weird'' ''freaks'', and specially mentions that them being white is a reason for this

about 10 minutes into episode 1 driving though their new neighbourhood. Go check it out now on one of those 'free' streaming sites if need be.

Well that sucks. Netflix at some point needs to pay a little attention to the narrative that's out there about them and correct some of these scripts then. There are some scenrios where I can see someone saying that about white people, but in a RE tv show? Nah.

Luc2010

Now make a show where white people say the same but about black people.

In all seriousness tho I am so fucking tired of this.
No one who isn't terminally online and hang around tankie larp circlejerks on Twitter, Reddit or Resetera hears that shit and doesn't cringe.

I am not a right-winger by any means but I think this shit legit does more harm than good to the causes these people think they're supporting.
Yes, the first episode shitted on itself with those lame ass lines. I pushed on, but I almost didn't want to watch any further after hearing that. Then one of the girls starts liking a white dude.....lol.

daveonezero

Banned
A few minutes in. so she has been out here for 6 months with her hairdresser?

sort of sick of shows that don’t even attempt to make people a little dirty or disheveled living in primitive conditions.

Normal people don’t obsess over race.

Tbf white people in that town are the least of my concerns

Last edited:

Luc2010

A few minutes in. so she has been out here for 6 months with her hairdresser?

sort of sick of shows that doesn’t even attempt to make people a little dirty or disheveled living in primitive conditions.

Was it really that bad guys? Or are yall just joking? And did the bolded really happen?
Some lines in the first episode are trash and makes you wonder who the fuck thought this was a good idea. There are some back and forth between the sisters later that are just ridiculous.

Fredrik

I think it's because most people were expecting Resident Evil and not a teenage high school drama.
It’s just flashbacks and to tell the transformation story, I liked it, it’s like the diary notes in RE1. The future stuff was proper Resident Evil, lickers and spider were brutal, with some added stuff on top with that worm. Loved it.
Zombies that run was too much World War Z though, and black Wesker is odd, and of course the CEO is a lesbian. But whatever, all in all I liked it, the acting is good and so far they have my interest, just planned to see 1 episode but saw 3 and will definitely see more.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
It’s just flashbacks and to tell the transformation story, I liked it, it’s like the diary notes in RE1. The future stuff was proper Resident Evil, lickers and spider were brutal, with some added stuff on top with that worm. Loved it.

Flashback take more than 50% of runtime and continue all the way until the end of the show. Also since when a post apocalypse is a proper Resident Evil?

Showed is slammed by viewers on IMDB. It's not good. It's also okay to enjoy things that are universally agreed on being bad.

Little Chicken

Gold Member
I actually enjoyed most of it. I understand that the backstory and present were intended to meet at a crescendo in the final episode, but the backstory really should've ended by episode 5, it dragged the rest of the show down until the finale. Another thing that bothered me was the amount of tension being built up in the flashbacks in the first two episodes really didn't go anywhere. All of the revelatory stuff about Wesker later on was good, but I really thought we'd at least get to see
some of the initial outbreak and ensuing chaos, which we don't - at all.

It's enjoyable overall, when it ramps up the tension its great. I didn't really feel the backstory detracted too much for it, but some of the later episodes dragged a bit because of it. Good foundation for the next series.

Fredrik

Flashback take more than 50% of runtime and continue all the way until the end of the show. Also since when a post apocalypse is a proper Resident Evil?

Showed is slammed by viewers on IMDB. It's not good. It's also okay to enjoy things that are universally agreed on being bad.
Okay I’ve only seen 3 episodes but we’ve seen a tired zombie transformation a million times, the emotional roller-coaster of being trapped with the infection or having someone close getting it is more interesting. And I like that they’re doing something new here, a post-apocalyptic what if scenario with 6 billion people infected is interesting. Haven’t seen what people say on imdb but I bet it’s more about heated us politics and not retelling the raccoon city story again than actually judging this show. I’ll go take a look. Edit: lol yup as I thought

Last edited:

EDMIX

Okay I’ve only seen 3 episodes but we’ve seen a tired zombie transformation a million times, the emotional roller-coaster of being trapped with the infection or having someone close getting it is more interesting. And I like that they’re doing something new here, a post-apocalyptic what if scenario with 6 billion people infected is interesting. Haven’t seen what people say on imdb but I bet it’s more about heated us politics and not retelling the raccoon city story again than actually judging this show. I’ll go take a look. Edit: lol yup as I thought

Yea most of the review bombing has to do with politics and jack shit to do with the show. The moment you hear em crying about something, ignore whats being stated regarding the show, its now an irrelevant view. The same people trying to make it sound like EVERYONE hates it, are the same fucking people who made it sound like a Call Of Duty getting downvotes on Youtube was a sign of doooooms and the end of cAll oF dUtY aS wE kNoW iT lol annnnd only for that shit move 20 million units. So this idea that some triggered fanboys are crying over some joke made in the show now equals everyone or the majority is just as silly as the COD or AC hate. Its a small minority that fucking wishes they spoke for everyone else.

The show is currently ranked number 1 on Netflix. I'm skeptical the moment someone tells me some site here or there got "da bad reviews" and you read it and 99.9% isn't even talking about the game or show or movie or something and the zealot fanboy is telling you had badly EVERYONE hatez itz broz. I've seen that shit play out time and time again and usually you know its a view to ignore, when every fucking factual metric disagrees with that so called hate. Using this logic, Call Of Duty, Assassins Creed, Fast and the furious, Harry Potter, Star Wars should all be fails and out of business.

https://flixpatrol.com/top10/netflix/

omg look at how much everyone hates it /s

Next thing you know COD being number 1 on NPD is the real sign that everyone hates it "shows a site with COD fanboy reviews talking about politics" lol

I love the post apocalyptic setting and love the idea of a RE show where Umbrella won and the world is shit compared to the same shit over and over. I also love all the crazy monsters in the season. I shant spoil it.

Fredrik

Yea most of the review bombing has to do with politics and jack shit to do with the show. The moment you hear em crying about something, ignore whats being stated regarding the show, its now an irrelevant view. The same people trying to make it sound like EVERYONE hates it, are the same fucking people who made it sound like a Call Of Duty getting downvotes on Youtube was a sign of doooooms and the end of cAll oF dUtY aS wE kNoW iT lol annnnd only for that shit move 20 million units. So this idea that some triggered fanboys are crying over some joke made in the show now equals everyone or the majority is just as silly as the COD or AC hate. Its a small minority that fucking wishes they spoke for everyone else.

The show is currently ranked number 1 on Netflix. I'm skeptical the moment someone tells me some site here or there got "da bad reviews" and you read it and 99.9% isn't even talking about the game or show or movie or something and the zealot fanboy is telling you had badly EVERYONE hatez itz broz. I've seen that shit play out time and time again and usually you know its a view to ignore, when every fucking factual metric disagrees with that so called hate. Using this logic, Call Of Duty, Assassins Creed, Fast and the furious, Harry Potter, Star Wars should all be fails and out of business.

https://flixpatrol.com/top10/netflix/

omg look at how much everyone hates it /s

Next thing you know COD being number 1 on NPD is the real sign that everyone hates it "shows a site with COD fanboy reviews talking about politics" lol

I love the post apocalyptic setting and love the idea of a RE show where Umbrella won and the world is shit compared to the same shit over and over. I also love all the crazy monsters in the season. I shant spoil it.
Yeah I mean you can just look at the scores really. 1/10. Like, how? I wouldn’t even rate some badly drawn kids show 1/10. It’s just mindless hate really. Review bombing because something triggered them. Going by the 3 episodes I’ve seen it’s at least a 6 or 7 out of 10. Some oddities bring it down but it’s still solid zombie entertainment with nice effects and some fan service and new ideas.

And how do you even reach the scenario where you can say ”- I’ve watched whole thing and it’s crap.” ???
Why are people wasting their lives? If you don’t like it then stop watching it and go play some games or something instead. Could easily finish a game in the same time as seeing the whole season.

Conclusion, people are either lying about seeing the whole thing or they’re actually liking it.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Young Jade actress feels like the Wish version of Zendaya, or is it just me?

While I do admit the idea of moving time a bit further to explore the possible futuristic scenario of Resident Evil, the fucking execution and narrative are horrible, because this show decided to borrow the name of a franchise that has a huge history and weight, while completely ditching what makes the franchise really good.

Oh my god, I'm so vegan. Bad umbrella is testing on bunnies. Imma go and steal my daddy's card so I can go free the bunnies. Oh noes, bad doggy bit me.

And there you go, it's Racoon City all over again. What the actual hell is this script. Seriously?

I'm just watching the series for the lulz. I lost it when the girl that got bitten asks Wesker if she will need to stay in quarantine. His answer: I don't think so, it's not like Covid :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

EDMIX

Young Jade actress feels like the Wish version of Zendaya, or is it just me?

While I do admit the idea of moving time a bit further to explore the possible futuristic scenario of Resident Evil, the fucking execution and narrative are horrible, because this show decided to borrow the name of a franchise that has a huge history and weight, while completely ditching what makes the franchise really good.

Oh my god, I'm so vegan. Bad umbrella is testing on bunnies. Imma go and steal my daddy's card so I can go free the bunnies. Oh noes, bad doggy bit me.

And there you go, it's Racoon City all over again. What the actual hell is this script. Seriously?

I'm just watching the series for the lulz. I lost it when the girl that got bitten asks Wesker if she will need to stay in quarantine. His answer: I don't think so, it's not like Covid :messenger_tears_of_joy:

lol yea and thats the thing....to make it like Raccoon City situation is to say

it's Racoon City all over again. What the actual hell is this script. Seriously?

maybe they should do a different setting and situation instead.

Also since when a post apocalypse is a proper Resident Evil?

So......yea. I don't think RE fans or fanboy's in general can ever get what they want as I don't even think they 100% KNOW what it is that they want. To be like RE in terms of setting is to do it "all over again" and to be different is to then question "Since when a xyz bbq is proper Resident Evil" damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Its funny as either of you would just hate each other's version if you made a show lol So I love the IP, but this is just silly and I'm happy I just watched it for what it was. It fit more then enough of those RE ideas and concepts to be enjoyable and I just feel some fans over react and exaggerate a bit too much over this. Based on the comments here, no Resident Evil film or show can actually be liked by most of the thread. They've already made up some fanfiction thing in their minds regarding what they think it should be.

sol_bad

I watched the first episode and my and I didn't think it was too bad. Young Jane is an annoying cunt but I was happy with everything else the episode presented.

Top Bottom