• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil (Netflix series) teaser trailer revealed

supernova8

Banned
Yep. Diversity isn’t even a bad thing, just the way it’s been handled. It’s become a parody of itself.

People were definitely complaining outright about the diversity, but now we can genuinely complain about the show itself (looks like it would be garbage no matter what skin colours or genitals are involved)

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

"Resident Evil Netflix live action series is nothing like the games, and that's a good thing."

"Resident Evil Netflix live action series is triggering all the right people ..."

"White supremacists can't handle the fact that Wesker is a person of color ..."

"The cast of the Netflix live action series is diverse, stunning, brave and exactly what Resident Evil needs right now."

aclar00

As some other guy said....just give us a damn movie based on RE1 and give a bit more backstory on Alpha and Bravo teams so that we care about them....especially Bravo team, they didnt deserve to go down like that...

Ezquimacore

Banned
All these video games movies and series are made by the Hollywood elite to sabotage the gaming industry
p5uljpyca2.jpg

Last edited:

FingerBang

If that's true, why are you having a conniption fit over a genre show with a primarily lady-parts cast, as if ORPHAN BLACK or YELLOWJACKETS aren't excellent shows.

This show might be terrible, but hand wringing about the cast before you know ANYTHING about the basis of the show is odd.
I explained that already, because the way they're writing female characters sucks recently and the fact they basically went all the way to pick all non white people smell like and agenda.

Did I say it's going to suck? Nope
I just expressed concerns based on the current state of the industry, but keep defending this like Star Wars and Marvel haven't shown us what happens when you prioritize diversity and female empowerment over good fucking stories. I want good stories, not agendas. If the story is good the characters can be all lesbians carpenters.

Watch an episode and see how good or bad it is. That's my plan.

Making a game into a TV show or movie is always a weird thing. You want to have it enough like the games so gamers will like it, but offer more so non-gaming fans will tune in.

Truth be told the resident evil franchise is much bigger than just the games. 6 movies with Milla Jovovich that all made money, so there are resident evil non gaming fans out there who haven't a clue what happened in the games. Then you have the audience of people who watched shows like The Walking Dead who you would want to capture with this show. When you break it down its like gamers are only one segment.

Then there is the reality of challenges faced when writing say a 10 episode season. What do you do to remain faithful? Would having 10 hours of a show all set in a mansion be fun to watch? - it's fun to play re1 - but does going around solving puzzles and killing zombies translate to a show? So I think thats where shows have to be creative.

Ellery

I am going to watch it. I love Resident Evil and just like most of the other movies/shows/games I at least have to give them a try.

Does it look like it what my nostalgic brain thinks about when envisioning a Resident Evil show? No, my brain thinks about the first Resident Evil from PS1 setting the mansion with Jill, Chris, Barry and Wesker.

If I find it to be underwhelming after 1-2 episodes then so be it and I will move on to the next thing I try out.

I'm guessing there will be some identity politics thrown in there. Maybe the zombies will get it on throughout the series to state that everyone is equal.... or some shit like that.

Haggard

Banned
that looks like ultra generic diversity hire teen nonsense.
I fail to see the resident evil in this resident evil series......

skneogaf

It always feels racist when movies and TV shows change the race from the original.

I absolutely hated it when they changed major from ghost in the shell from a Japanese female to an American female.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
For how great the resident evil video games are the movies, shows, animes don’t hold the same value.

I'm fine with the cast and whatever bullshittery they want to do with the story - I've resigned myself to crappy RE stuff going forward, but ffs make NEW characters.

EDMIX

Well that’s a whole lot of assumption about not only every single, simple / sarcastic line you quoted - but also about how this series was made.

Sigh.

First off, my comment was simply it looks very Netflix. It is a Netflix Global Original, btw. Pretending they have zero say in stuff when they have directly pledged to make casting decisions among others, is naive. Not every series is created the same way, not every pitch the same.

Not that I would expect somebody who is actually probably not involved in the entertainment industry at all (though, I’m happy to be wrong), using authority fallacy to try to dig a few posters.

One of those posters, may I add, actually worked in the video game industry (me). Hi. I’ve talked about this before. There is some overlap between the modern game and film industry, but whatever - long discussion.

This is all me simply pointing out not to try to sound so smug. Just a few comments you highlighted of people thinking it looks super Netflix-y, which is certainly not good. It wasn’t some deep dive commentary into what is wrong with it, Netflix, or Constantine (the studio who has the rights to RE films, of course).

Show looks stupid. Crazy bad. Like most Netflix adaptations (hey
, remember Cowboy Bebop?)

That’s all.

yea..none of that matters, those same people would say CW shit looks "netflixy". They don't even have a solid quantification of this, any fucking thing looks that way to them based on some lose shit lol

So its the same studio that did the films.

The films being shit and the show being shit are down to that studio

tommib

The issue with all of this shit (besides the new movie, the issue with that was everything) is they keep shooting their load way too early. RE built up to it's insane bullshit, and it's MOST insane canonical bullshit was a gas plague in a small district in a city in China, and a village of old crazy assholes getting too high off of mold.

The teaser trailer for the first season of this bullshit has London looking like a nuke went off. If the entire world has ended, that takes away all stakes for the protagonists. Biohazard has always been a pre-emptive horror. A pre-apocalyptic horror. 24 with ghouls. If you want to make a story about scruffy survivors fighting over boxes of heart medication at a blown out Walgreens while spoopy dead dogs run around, there's A THOUSAND IPs already made for that. These studio heads use their pop culture osmosis knowledge of RE "it has zombies!" and transplant it into The Walking Dead, because that's the only horror franchise ever made, and run with it (into the ground)

Black Wesker and Destiny's Child(ren) is lulzy, but that's my REAL issue. Use the actual slow burn basis the actual franchise had.
So true, man. RE was about the build-up. A house and some weird zombie-looking guys here and there. You didn’t really know what was going on until the end game and you figure out the virus might be out of control.

They could make a super tense domestic horror series that unravels slowly with a lot of in-doors paranoia (think of The Thing) but no. They start with Armageddon on minute 1 so my interest disappears automatically.

Pejo

Imagine if they made a horror movie that turns into an action/horror movie where a group of officers (sent to check out distress calls) seek refuge from an unknown danger in a giant mansion, only to find that there are undead creatures and many mysteries awaiting inside...

Nah that would never work. Let's do this instead. Yea, this. This is the ticket.

Why can't they just give us a moody and haunting Resident Evil movie/tv show like the original games? Make it actually creepy, not over the top action.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Thank FUCK it seems like two lesbians held hands in the trailer. I was getting worried that there wasnt going to be some sexual orientation going on in Resident evil

Phew, thanks Netflix.

Long ass post incoming.

I don't get what the trailer is trying to achieve. There's a "New Raccoon City" that has seemingly been built by Umbrella as some sort of utopia (hence the "I'd Like to Build the World a Home" song choice), then there's an abrupt jump to some sort of post-apocalyptic London.
I have so many questions, but I'll ask just a couple for now.

Is this supposed to be in the same universe as the games? Because in the games, Umbrella was permanently disgraced (maybe even shut down?) after the American government had to nuke Raccoon City at the end of RE3 and people found out it was because of Umbrella. That's why Umbrella no longer exists as an entity by that name after RE3; the most you get is the company named Tricell in RE5 which seems like a spiritual successor to Umbrella. So how can they have Umbrella still around on this show?

Where's this New Raccoon City located? I can't quite tell but it looks like in the scene where Lance Reddick's character says "you'll love it here" he's the one driving. But he's on the right side of the car which means New Raccoon City is NOT in the United States. Maybe it's in the UK (hence the cut to post apocalyptic London halfway through the trailer). Part of the charm of the original RE trilogy is that Raccoon City seems like a small, slightly redneck-y, mountain-surrounded American town, which makes its inhabitants both isolated enough and gullible enough to being exploited by a company like Umbrella. I can't speak for the UK or other countries, but here in the U.S. we have a love/hate relationship with "big pharma" so this show's team can, with good writing, explore topics around that.

It's fine if the show decides to do an "extended universe" thing, but you can't extend a universe that doesn't exist in television yet. If you're gonna use the name "Resident Evil" and a character named "Albert Wesker," with the express purpose of drawing people in to the show with those recognizable names, then you should establish their existence within the original universe first. Because then you'll have what's happening both here and on YouTube (check out the comments in the video, they're absolutely BRUTAL. Also I'm not sure if the video got ratio'd to hell and back, but seems like it). Which is massive fan backlash.

Like others have said here, part of the appeal of the RE lore is NOT that you immediately throw Leon into the RE4 village or throw Chris into RE6. It's the slow burn. It's conspiracy and shadiness that leads to tragedy. It's just a night guard playing cards with his buddy, only to eventually not feel well and write "Itchy. Tasty" scrawled in blood before he loses human consciousness. It's just a dorky gun shop owner who has a good relationship with the police department -- even makes them custom weapons -- whose young daughter's last human conscious thought is to call for her "mommy" as she turns into a zombie in real time. It's a little girl named Lisa Trevor who is just a normal girl who plays with dolls and loves her parents, but is subjected to brutal and tragic experiments, and ends up being the monstrous entity you see in REmake. There's a trillion examples like this, just from the games.

The games have enough lore and material -- you can draw from that and have drama, romance, tragedy, action, conspiracy, and all the other shit that makes for compelling television.

Ezquimacore

Banned
The first three games have the perfect setting and if they want female protagonists those three games already have like 4 female awesome characters, so the inclusiveness is not an excuse.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Thank FUCK it seems like two lesbians held hands in the trailer. I was getting worried that there wasnt going to be some sexual orientation going on in Resident evil

Phew, thanks Netflix.
Ohhhh, oh, after delving further they're sisters...

It's still shit.

My ultimate dream would be to have Mike Flanigan involved in a RE TV series. His work is phenomenal.

Also, perhaps some hope in the future.

Last edited:

Needlecrash

I will give it one episode to judge. So far....I'm not feeling it. I enjoy Lance Reddick as an actor, but him as Wesker is a bit off to me.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Then there is the reality of challenges faced when writing say a 10 episode season. What do you do to remain faithful? Would having 10 hours of a show all set in a mansion be fun to watch? - it's fun to play re1 - but does going around solving puzzles and killing zombies translate to a show? So I think thats where shows have to be creative.

The reality is this: You can get away with changing some elements to fit a new format - its mostly understood that its a necessary thing. But when you change the format, and change the characters and content to the extent that its virtually unrecognizable compared to the original IP, why keep the name and all the baggage of prior expectation in the first place?

Attaching the Resident Evil branding isn't going to help this show, its going to hurt it. Because its creating a backlash from the get-go.

Its so colossally stupid I honestly do not know why they bothered.

The reality is this: You can get away with changing some elements to fit a new format - its mostly understood that its a necessary thing. But when you change the format, and change the characters and content to the extent that its virtually unrecognizable compared to the original IP, why keep the name and all the baggage of prior expectation in the first place?

Attaching the Resident Evil branding isn't going to help this show, its going to hurt it. Because its creating a backlash from the get-go.

Its so colossally stupid I honestly do not know why they bothered.
Because of money.
While you and I have played the resident evil games the IP is much more than games. Like, people who couldn't tell you the difference between an xbox and a cardboard box, will watch this too.

Remaining faithful vs making new stuff to capture a bigger audience.... latter is gonna win.

Melon Husk

Resident Evil adaptations make money no matter the quality. They see a franchise that can make a quick buck regardless of who is producing it. Netflix is simply honoring the tradition folks. It's a self fulfilling prophecy - they see the franchise as trash, treat it as trash

- and what is the end result? Trash.

edit: To be 100% clear, I think the original games do provide enough potential for more than one quality film if the material were adapted by someone who understood the franchise - they'd have to call it Biohazard to diassociate from Resident Evil movies... Fewer zombies & more "bioterror": Godzilla vs. Biollante minus Godzilla?

Last edited:
My ultimate dream would be to have Mike Flanigan involved in a RE TV series. His work is phenomenal.

Also, perhaps some hope in the future.

YES. The "Haunting" shows on Netflix are some of the better American-produced horror I've seen in a while.

Hill House was a legit awesome piece of horror. Bly Manor was a bit of a step down but still great.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Holy Shungus this will probably be bad from a writing/character perspective, the trailer makes it look 800x better than it actually will be I'm sure of that.

Having said that the CGI is wayyyy better than I expected and I think its great for a TV show tbh.

Top Bottom