• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 8: Village |OT| Dat Atmosphere is THICC

DinoD

I am planning on playing this on the PS5. However, there’s a store in my city that sells the PS4 version for 10€ cheaper. Are there any downsides to getting the PS4 version? And if not, why is the PS5 version more expensive in the first place. It’s so confusing…

Not sure if you properly considered your question but anyways. PS5 version has better graphics (resolution/framerate/ray tracing) and almost instant loading times. It should easily warrant 10 euro difference. Where I live they cost the same, so it could just be your local price.

Regards

Chiggs

Locked and loaded and ready for Village of Shadows difficulty.

NvLadK9.png

DanEON

I have a good tip for anyone struggling to pass that first village encounter on hardcore. I will leave it as spoiler because after you do it, it becomes very easy to pass:

You can stay 2 to 3 min just waiting in the basement of the house where you find the shotgun. Once the monsters go downstairs too, you can move on. After that, just use the two explosive barrels to gain some more time and the cutscene will trigger.

dcx4610

I went from "I don't know if I like this..." to playing for 4 hours straight.

One issue that's annoying me is like RE2, RE3 and RE7, a room will turn blue letting you know that you've done everything there. There are several rooms I've been in that stay red despite not seeing a single thing to do. Am I missing something? Is it bugged? Do you need to return later for some reason?

Also, for the PC people. Do you get huge frame rate drops when fighting
the insect daughters?
. I'm playing with the "Prefer graphics" preset and have ray tracing on. I'm averaging 70-90 FPS most of the time and when they attack, it feels like it drops to the 20s.

Also, the game seems to stutter just a slight bit when you first encounter enemies on a fresh game start. Almost like it's caching things. Anyone else getting that? After all of that, it's been a smooth experience outside of the above mentioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Lone Denjin

Please share
Sure, I noticed that when you bar the door on the house with the hole and ladder in it, they try to break down the door, pop their head and wait for the next one. It kept happening to me over multiple reloads, that the next Lycan to attack the door was slightly off to the right of the door and if you leave him alone he will try to attack the door but wont damage it. I waited for about 5 mins then ran down the hole and it triggered the cut scene as soon as i past out of the hole in to the open. No clue if it will work on other platforms but i had the ps4 version.
I have just got to the stronghold part of the game now. pipe bombs ftw.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

One issue that's annoying me is like RE2, RE3 and RE7, a room will turn blue letting you know that you've done everything there. There are several rooms I've been in that stay red despite not seeing a single thing to do. Am I missing something? Is it bugged? Do you need to return later for some reason?
you are missing something. crouch and look under tables and beds. look up and find some hidden crystals on the ceiling. every room should turn blue after you find everything.

Completed Village of Shadows last night. Now THAT is the difficulty that is virtually impossible on first run. The last few bosses are BEEFY in terms of HP. Even with an infinite STAKE magnum (best gun in the game - yes, even better than the Rocket Pistol), they took a not-insignificant amount of time to kill.

But anyway, on my third playthrough I was actually able to watch cutscenes again (second playthrough was a speedrun so I couldn't watch anything) and I noticed something in the ending that is a bit of a retcon:
Ethan did NOT die at the beginning of RE7. He is very clearly conscious (you can literally hear him breathing) when he's been dragged away by Jack after the Guest House. Having said that, he could have died when the boat capsized and the mold took him away to the ship, etc. so it doesn't really matter I suppose. I just didn't like the implication that Ethan died right at the beginning of the game, because if you played RE7 recently like I did then you'd know that's absolutely not true. But like I said, I suppose it doesn't really matter WHEN he died during RE7.

@ above, you're about 85% through (can't edit in your quote after posting)

Last edited:

Chiggs

I have a good tip for anyone struggling to pass that first village encounter on hardcore. I will leave it as spoiler because after you do it, it becomes very easy to pass:

You can stay 2 to 3 min just waiting in the basement of the house where you find the shotgun. Once the monsters go downstairs too, you can move on. After that, just use the two explosive barrels to gain some more time and the cutscene will trigger.

Or you can be a Chris Redfield-approved badass and take down Urias right in the middle of that goddamn creek with all of his dumb wolf friends watching.

Admittedly, this is something far easier to accomplish on the second playthrough.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I finished the game, I loved it and each part felt different, to summarize:

It feels like each place pulled up some parts of RE and one from a popular demo.

Castle Dimitrescu - RE4's Castle mixed with RE2R's Mr. X's chase part
Beneviento House - PT
Moreau Reservoir - RE4's Del Lago's but mixed with RE5's Marshlands I think
Heisenberg's Factory - RE4's Military Base but add in way more Regenerators but weaker
Chris' section - RE6's Chris' campaign basically lol

It feels like each place pulled up some parts of RE and one from a popular demo.

Castle Dimitrescu - RE4's Castle mixed with RE2R's Mr. X's chase part
Beneviento House - PT
Moreau Reservoir - RE4's Del Lago's but mixed with RE5's Marshlands I think
Heisenberg's Factory - RE4's Military Base but add in way more Regenerators but weaker
Chris' section - RE6's Chris' campaign basically lol
Yep. To me, RE8 is RE6 done right. Remember how the Leon campaign was supposed to be RE4 inspired, or Chris inspired by RE5, and so on? Well RE8 manages to nail that aspect BUT doesn't overstay its welcome like each RE6 campaign.
Lmao

this game is so Japanese it hurts

To be fair, it's all lore appropriate... Ethan experiences hallucinations during RE7 so he is at the very least infected with the regenerative mold, and the First Aid Meds' description says something like "causes spontaneous cellular regeneration"

But above all, it is Resident Evil lol. Ridiculous stuff happens in this wonderful series all the time :p

JeloSWE

you are missing something. crouch and look under tables and beds. look up and find some hidden crystals on the ceiling. every room should turn blue after you find everything.
There are multiple rooms and houses I can't seem to find the last missing item event though I've looked at the celling and under beds etc. It's really weird and frustrating.

JeloSWE

I'm thoroughly enjoying the game. I'm almost done with the Heisenberg part. FPS has stays at a solid 60 with all max settings maxed out on my RTX 3090 at 4K, I think the extra video ram helps a bit as well. I've only goten a few dips in select fights with a lot of particles covering the screen.

SCB3

Completed Village of Shadows last night. Now THAT is the difficulty that is virtually impossible on first run. The last few bosses are BEEFY in terms of HP. Even with an infinite STAKE magnum (best gun in the game - yes, even better than the Rocket Pistol), they took a not-insignificant amount of time to kill.

But anyway, on my third playthrough I was actually able to watch cutscenes again (second playthrough was a speedrun so I couldn't watch anything) and I noticed something in the ending that is a bit of a retcon:
Ethan did NOT die at the beginning of RE7. He is very clearly conscious (you can literally hear him breathing) when he's been dragged away by Jack after the Guest House. Having said that, he could have died when the boat capsized and the mold took him away to the ship, etc. so it doesn't really matter I suppose. I just didn't like the implication that Ethan died right at the beginning of the game, because if you played RE7 recently like I did then you'd know that's absolutely not true. But like I said, I suppose it doesn't really matter WHEN he died during RE7.

@ above, you're about 85% through (can't edit in your quote after posting)

Its not a Retcon, if you go back to RE7, you can
Hear his skull crack when Jack Stamps on Ethans head, I went back and checked it out and its true, so yea that is where he died, also the very next scene is where he's been infected, we don't know how much time had passed and there was a bathtub full of Mold that is used to infect them before Eveline takes over fully

Last edited:
So the animals are limited. Well, I'll guess just restart my game now. That's kind of dumb.

Actually, that really kills my interest in playing the game.

Last edited:
Its not a Retcon, if you go back to RE7, you can
Hear his skull crack when Jack Stamps on Ethans head, I went back and checked it out and its true, so yea that is where he died, also the very next scene is where he's been infected, we don't know how much time had passed and there was a bathtub full of Mold that is used to infect them before Eveline takes over fully
Again, he's very clearly breathing in the scene where Jack is dragging him away, which is the exact moment that is played when Eveline's voiceover says "you were murdered by Jack" in RE8. Breathing isn't a symptom of dead people. Also, in the very next scene, Zoe says "c'mon don't die on us you have work to do" as she staples his hand back on. Which, by the way, is still healing during the course of the game. If a significant amount of time had passed (which is required for the moldification process) then the hand should have been healed already.

It's a retcon. But like I said, it REALLY doesn't matter because another possible death point is when the boat is attacked and he's swept away by the mold.

And while we're on the subject of spoilers, did anyone else think that Chris is an asshole and a bit of a dumbass in this game? He treats Ethan like a dog in the intro, "Ethan, no!" Wtf? Even his squadmate at the end scolds Chris for not telling Ethan. And when you run into him later he's like "Stay out of it". Motherfucker, is Ethan supposed to just stand still in this hostile village and wait for rescue that isn't coming? And lastly, when Chris hands Ethan the keys to the minitank, he's like "try to stay under the radar". Ummm it's a tank... lol

Last edited:

GymWolf

First major boss down.

I honestly don't know how people finished this thing in 9 hours while playing at hardcore...

the giant werewolf with the hammer is chris right? He already "helped" 2 times

Last edited:

SCB3

Again, he's very clearly breathing in the scene where Jack is dragging him away, which is the exact moment that is played when Eveline's voiceover says "you were murdered by Jack" in RE8. Breathing isn't a symptom of dead people. Also, in the very next scene, Zoe says "c'mon don't die on us you have work to do" as she staples his hand back on. Which, by the way, is still healing during the course of the game. If a significant amount of time had passed (which is required for the moldification process) then the hand should have been healed already.

It's a retcon. But like I said, it REALLY doesn't matter because another possible death point is when the boat is attacked and he's swept away by the mold.

And while we're on the subject of spoilers, did anyone else think that Chris is an asshole and a bit of a dumbass in this game? He treats Ethan like a dog in the intro, "Ethan, no!" Wtf? Even his squadmate at the end scolds Chris for not telling Ethan. And when you run into him later he's like "Stay out of it". Motherfucker, is Ethan supposed to just stand still in this hostile village and wait for rescue that isn't coming? And lastly, when Chris hands Ethan the keys to the minitank, he's like "try to stay under the radar". Ummm it's a tank... lol
He feels remorse for that at the end, I mean Chris and the crew had a plan and Ethan was far too emotionally attached and could've just been a liability

SCB3

First major boss down.

I honestly don't know how people finished this thing in 9 hours while playing at hardcore...

After that first boss, you build up so much money and Ammo, I beat it on Hardcore in just under 10 Hours and got all treasures/optional bosses, you get OP very quick after that boss

GymWolf

After that first boss, you build up so much money and Ammo, I beat it on Hardcore in just under 10 Hours and got all treasures/optional bosses, you get OP very quick after that boss
Really?! Because until the first boss i had to kill enemies with my fucking knife to survive...

GymWolf

Also, for the PC people. Do you get huge frame rate drops when fighting
the insect daughters?
. I'm playing with the "Prefer graphics" preset and have ray tracing on. I'm averaging 70-90 FPS most of the time and when they attack, it feels like it drops to the 20s.

Also, the game seems to stutter just a slight bit when you first encounter enemies on a fresh game start. Almost like it's caching things. Anyone else getting that? After all of that, it's been a smooth experience outside of the above mentioned.
Yeah the framerate goes bananas when the mosquito girls attacks you, i even saw a stream of a guy with a 3080 with the same problem.

Last edited:

SCB3

Really?! Because until the first boss i had to kill enemies with my fucking knife to survive...
Yea, without too many spoilers, you don't use a gun a lot in the next part, by the time I got to the 3rd boss, I had nearly 200 handgun Ammo alone

I was all prepared to do an I told you so as I thought the demo was crap but bought it anyway and have been proven very wrong as this game is really good.

Not finished yet but must be much closer to the end than the start so unless it takes a real dive from now on it's up there with my favorite RE games for sure.

Not sure if you properly considered your question but anyways. PS5 version has better graphics (resolution/framerate/ray tracing) and almost instant loading times. It should easily warrant 10 euro difference. Where I live they cost the same, so it could just be your local price.

Regards
I forgot to say that the store advertises that the PS4 version can be patched to the PS5 version for free, but I haven't heard about it anywhere else. Like here there's zero discussion about it, so that's why I asked.

I mean, obviously I'd like to have the PS5 version on my shelf. It just feels more valuable lol.

SkylineRKR

Yeah upgrading felt pointless for a good portion of the game, because you don't have to make decisions. And then I even made a mistake by selling some food early on, so I didn't have most of the buffs. But I was always maxed out with 100k-200k to spare after the halfway point. Later on you likely can't afford all the new stuff but its not needed really.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yea, without too many spoilers, you don't use a gun a lot in the next part, by the time I got to the 3rd boss, I had nearly 200 handgun Ammo alone
I mean...on hardcore 200 handgun ammo are less than 20 trash mobs kills :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member

I was 50/50 on him being a jerk for plot narrative reasons [keep the player in the dark] or him using Ethan to get rid of basically everyone, doing the dirty work for him.

He knew bloody well that Ethan was emotionally involved and would never back down. Ethan is a wildcard but he got the job done. Surely halfway through the day Chris realized that Ethan was kinda unstoppable. That's why he hands him the keys to the mini tank.

But yeah, every encounter with Chris was weird.

"You're out of your depth, Ethan!" right after Ethan killed like 300 lycans and 2 lords.
"Stay under the radar, Ethan!" right after Ethan killed 3 lords, a bunch of crazy mutated beasts AND while handing Ethan the keys to a tank.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Regarding the Beneviento part

I wasn’t that scared with the baby chasing you. It’s because I have a 7 month baby girl and she says a lot of MAMAMAMA and DADADADA and shrieking and laughing. Gotten used to it.

Also man, I can feel Ethan’s pain having his daughter kidnapped.

SkylineRKR

He feels remorse for that at the end, I mean Chris and the crew had a plan and Ethan was far too emotionally attached and could've just been a liability

I think he had his reasons

Could he tell Ethan what the deal was? What if Ethan flipped out, very likely not believing it, confronted Mia or turning against everyone. Things could've gone to hell right away. It would perhaps end up the same since she survives the hit anyway, but the team didn't expect this. However, they dealt with a BOW, they could've known a few shots wouldn't be enough. I think he wanted to tell Ethan earlier a few times but things went to shit forcing the team to retreat.

But on the whole its rather poor writing. However, it gets a pass from me. RE has never been the gold standard.

Bartski

Gold Member
Beat the game last night... I did enjoy the ride but much less than I thought I will.

Like some posters said already the game nails different flavors of RE horror and delivers then in compressed, straight to the point way, kind of what RE6 tried to do and failed. All of the lord areas were really unique, very different and exciting, featuring cool set piece bosses and true WOW moments.

Side areas and side bosses a nice surprise, maybe best realized exploration in all of RE ever.
I loved it so much more where there was actually little action and more exploration and puzzles.

And that's the main problem here - the game is very combat focused and combat is where it's at it's worst.
The moment the it tries to be a horde FPS shooter is when everything goes to shit.
The Stronghold part was just awful and I really hate lycans as the enemy. You know when a game that limits your resources spams waves of enemies at you, expecting you push through and escape rather than try to kill them all? So you don't waste all your ammo and be forced to reload a save standing zero chance with boss that comes next? Yeah, that was that moment.

Other combat heavy scenarios were much better and I loved the Factory chapter, just the right balance imo and very RE vibes.

The two main main plot twists were really crazy stupid tho...
Ethan being
a mold "construct" does feel like a retcon, the fact he was infected was already mentioned in RE7 and I love the way that explains his regen abilities... but that would mean he was somehow immune to all the fun side effects that the Baker family were experiencing and wasn't aware, goes out to live with his wife and has a baby just like that which makes no sense. Also throws the whole process of turning the already dead into molded by the Bakers out of the window.
Worst part of it all is Miranda
mimic'ing Mia and... kidnaping her to infiltrate her home take her place and... kidnap the baby? WTF really? And then just plays dead and Chris and the team is like, bag her, grab the baby (where? why??) and lets go! This bitch can control mold, lift a grown ass man up and gut him, fly, grow fucking spider legs and SPAWN FIREBALLS, why wouldn't she just waltz in, kill everyone all and grab the baby? That's all just unbelievably stupid. Also why were Ethan and Mia in Europe and why were they protected after having a "military training"??

Also, where did all the gore go?

I've been watching some reviews after the credits... I don't always agree with this dude but here he's just on point, exactly how it feel about it. What made RE7 so good is the fresh and very intimate in your face horror. Its all kind of lost here but I still think it's a solid entry. Looking forward to RE9, we already know the protagonist.

SkylineRKR

About your last spoiler

I think Miranda still put up a charade at that point. She 'protected' the villagers and they revered her. It went to shit when she was AWOL, at the Winters residence. Why she did it this way, dunno, she did use Mia to experiment on and perhaps she also wanted to test Ethan. As for the Europe relocation, I've read that Chris pretty much used them as bait. You could also ask why she let your play the ceremony out as it did. I understood she wanted you to kill the 4 lords and put the 4 parts on the pedestral etc. Its that cliche again. But she could easily body them herself.

Banned

some rooms have really small stuff hidden in weird little corners.

for example the very first house on the left after you come through the red gate that the old woman closes off (where the village demo started)
there's something hidden under a desk in the kitchen that I didn't find for multiple minutes to looking all over the dam house.

stuff like that exists. so either look into every nook and cranny for hidden objects, or look around the ceiling for sparkles, since sometimes crystals/gems might be hidden there

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

You missed Eveline's point. She's saying Jack murdered him at the house and he has been dead ever since.

That's why she says, "You were always dead." He was breathing but that doesn't mean he didn't die before.

Lets not forget that Jack was able to heal and/or suffer a great amount of damage the same night he came in contact with Eveline in the Daughter's DLC. The initial infection has side effects that causes regenerative abilities, which would explain how Ethan was able to heal himself so quickly after getting his hand amputated.

There were clear signs that he was infected with the mold. He was able to heal and suffer hallucinations, and that is only if part of the mold has reached part of your brain.

Jaxcellent

I'm having a blast playing this, great game feels a bit like RE4.. my PS4 pro is making the loudest noise i ever heard from it.. its like a vacuum cleaner, lol so i play with a headset with noice canceling.. can't wait to jump back in tonight!

Banned
Regarding the plot...

People are really looking for plotholes and picking at loose threads IN A RESIDENT EVIL GAME?!

Come on, this is a famously ridiculous, dumb fun video game series. You really shouldn't need telling to park your brain at the door and just enjoy the ride...

what do you mean? Resident Evil was always 100% logical and totally devoid of any plot holes!

the Resident Evil 4 merchant for example surely has a deep lore reason to exist! surely!

doesn't get more serious than Resident Evil dude!

😂😂

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

planning to give 4 a new chance. The last few years have been rough, as I hate the controls nowadays. But its still a classic. I'll try to adjust.

Top Bottom