• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 8: Village coming in Q1 2021

SuperGooey

I'm really on board with these rumors. It sounds very much like Resident Evil 3.5, which is a game I always wanted to be fully realized since it was first shown off.

I just wish Chris wasn't returning as a protagonist... again. His story has been over since RE5, imo, and double over since RE6.

SuperGooey

Wasn’t there a rumor about RE8 will take place on a island, Umbrella had a research facility on?
That's a "leak" from Evil VR who is a troll. He basically makes shit up, then deletes it when it turns out to be not true. For some reason, websites still report his BS.

R66lqfF.png

JiTpDla.jpg

Aggelos

That's a "leak" from Evil VR who is a troll. He basically makes shit up, then deletes it when it turns out to be not true. For some reason, websites still report his BS.

R66lqfF.png

JiTpDla.jpg

My brother, I think it's more than obvious that we are being overrun by charlatans and mountebanks :
Dusk Golem (a.k.a. Aesthetic Gamer), this EVIL VR and whatnot....

SuperGooey

My brother, I think it's more than obvious that we are being overrun by charlatans and mountebanks : Dusk Golem (a.k.a. Aesthetic Gamer), this EVIL VR and whatnot....
I was sure Dusk was a troll, but he ended up being right about some behind the scenes stuff for RE2R, particularly how they had a lot of trouble fitting the alligator into the game, it was going to have a fixed camera option until it was removed last minute, and the opening segment used to have a driving scene with Leon. Those are pretty specific details to be right about.

Everything else has been hit and miss with him, but saying RE3R was coming "sooner than we think," was being outsourced, and would take way more liberties than RE2R ended up being true.

If Dusk ends up being right by backing these "Village" rumors, then I think that'll confirm he is legit, but sometimes gets shitty intel.

wolywood

That leaked photo reminds me of the cover of Mizzurna Falls, which is probably one of the coolest sounding titles. I hope it has a lot of mood and atmosphere to it (if its legit).
Mizzurna_Falls_cover_art.jpg

I had never heard of this game before you posted the pic but it actually seems interesting (open world Twin Peaks influenced adventure game). Too bad it was never released outside of Japan.

Virex

Banned
Wonder what they are calling the Collectors edition

Resident Evil 8 : Village Idiot Edition?

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I'm really on board with these rumors. It sounds very much like Resident Evil 3.5, which is a game I always wanted to be fully realized since it was first shown off.

I just wish Chris wasn't returning as a protagonist... again. His story has been over since RE5, imo, and double over since RE6.
Chris is the normie bait.

"OH MY GOD RELATABLE WHITE MALE CHARACTER WHO HAS ICONIC STATUS SINCE HE'S BEEN IN THE SERIES SINCE THE FIRST GAME? SIGN ME THE FUCK UP." RE games need fresh blood ASAP and not in a Wesker's son sort of way.

SuperGooey

Chris is the normie bait.

"OH MY GOD RELATABLE WHITE MALE CHARACTER WHO HAS ICONIC STATUS SINCE HE'S BEEN IN THE SERIES SINCE THE FIRST GAME? SIGN ME THE FUCK UP." RE games need fresh blood ASAP and not in a Wesker's son sort of way.
It's crazy to me because Chris is by far the most boring RE character. He's so vanilla. Meanwhile, here are a list of other more interesting protags Capcom could be reviving:

-Sheva
-Jill
-Carlos
-Claire
-Sheva
-Josh
-Sherry
-Half of the Outbreak cast
-Sheva
-Jake (I actually liked him for his relationship with Sherry)
-Rebecca
-Barry
-Moira (now older, experienced, and more mature)
-Billy
-Sheva

Or more new characters! Aside from Jack Baker, the cast of RE7 was pretty boring, but that doesn't mean the series shouldn't try new characters. A detective investigating the disappearance of some scientists who finds himself in surviving against BOWs, a nobody BSAA agent gets separated from his platoon, etc.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The #1 rule in horror video games, is setting, your ballpark so to speak and everything else will come into play.

I was sure Dusk was a troll, but he ended up being right about some behind the scenes stuff for RE2R, particularly how they had a lot of trouble fitting the alligator into the game, it was going to have a fixed camera option until it was removed last minute, and the opening segment used to have a driving scene with Leon. Those are pretty specific details to be right about.

Everything else has been hit and miss with him, but saying RE3R was coming "sooner than we think," was being outsourced, and would take way more liberties than RE2R ended up being true.

If Dusk ends up being right by backing these "Village" rumors, then I think that'll confirm he is legit, but sometimes gets shitty intel.
Dusk Golem is 1000% full of shit. Even back when he was a GAF regular. Fuck that loser.

SuperGooey

Some parts is kinda true
Like what? Literally every prediction was wrong except Leon encountering the sheriff in the convenient store, which was already revealed in the E3 trailer at the time of these "leaks". Even then, these "leaks" state that it was only Leon, but as we know both Claire and Leon start off at the gas station.

Last edited:

Soulsdark

Am I the only one who really hated Ethan?
I just found him annoying and generic.

I mean Chris is pretty generic too but he's a classic character so I have a higher tolerance for it, but Ethan was just written in the most generic '' action movie man '' way imaginable and I found his one-liners to be insanely cringe.
I think that the first person view kinda hurts too, I just have a harder time connection to a character when I can't see them. When I play FPS games I feel like I am just playing a blank slate.

I mean Chris is pretty generic too but he's a classic character so I have a higher tolerance for it, but Ethan was just written in the most generic '' action movie man '' way imaginable and I found his one-liners to be insanely cringe.
I think that the first person view kinda hurts too, I just have a harder time connection to a character when I can't see them. When I play FPS games I feel like I am just playing a blank slate.

He was intended to be a nobody... a completely random individual affected by the events that he was wrapped in.

Last edited:

Camreezie

I remember pre RE7 when info came out that didnt sound too good either so will keep an open mind till we get to see footage or trailers, but yeah doesnt sound too great.

SuperGooey

More leaks coming soon, just like Dusk Golem said they would:

• Resident Evil 8 is working under the title VILLAGE: RESIDENT EVIL, although some reports have that title reversed. The VILL part in the title is, of course, RE7‘d into the Roman numeral VIII.
  • The opening of the game will be ‘shocking’ for long-time fans, and involves Chris Redfield. Different demos appear to have different Chris models, some saying he simply looked like an older version of the RE7 Chris, others saying he was completely overhauled. Some tests involved Mia Winters being pregnant, others involved a child already having been born.
  • Ethan is, once again, the lead protagonist, but hardened to a degree. Some testers have described him as being quick-witted and short-tempered, an “Ash Williams” type, which fits in with RE7‘s multiple homages to the Evil Dead series. Ethan, as well as the rest of the cast, also seems to have been reprised by their RE7 voice performers.
  • Multiple versions of the in-game inventory have been tested, ranging from something very close to RE7‘s more traditional inventory to something along the lines of RE4‘s Attache Case “Tetris” design. The game is also following suit with RE7‘s first-person design.
  • The demo was indeed set in a snowy village area, sometime after the opening. Playing as Ethan, we explore some of the houses on the outskirts, attempting to make contact. NPCs occupy the houses however they are reluctant to talk to an outsider (note: they do speak English when they talk).
  • The “Wolf-like creatures” reported in earlier leaks have been described as something akin to beast-men, and they attack with massive claws. There is an escape sequence, where some versions of the demo you don’t have access to a weapon and are forced to either just book it for safety or try to sneak your way around them (similar to Revelations 2) — and other you have a pistol, but it’s completely ineffective against these creatures and you’re similarly forced to run or hide.
  • You eventually stumble upon a shotgun and are able to barricade a door to slow down your attackers. The shotgun is way more effective than the handgun however the beast-men were very bullet-spongey. In some versions of the demo a bell rings and the beast-men disappear, while others they are called off by something/someone unseen.
  • The game is massively inspired by a combination of Resident Evil 4 and the much-beloved Resident Evil 3.5 (a series of demos and trailers from various scrapped versions of RE4). The previously reported “serious departure” relates to this, as the game has an obvious focus on something more supernatural. That said, odds are against things being literally supernatural, and that they only appear that way due to viral-induced hallucinations (which is how it worked in RE3.5). The hallucinations make it difficult who to trust and can trigger flashbacks, with some versions of the demo having that “shocking opening” appear as a flashback hallucination when encountering Chris.
  • The leaders of these beast-men appear to be a stalker-type woman that resembles a witch, who “haunts” Ethan during the demo, and a massive, “gorilla-like” monster man with “chains and a staff”. The Witch cannot be killed and melts down into bugs when shot. She apparently has a distinctive laugh that lets you know when she’s near.
  • Some versions of the demo appear to have you escape to a castle, while others have you meet up with a group of normal, human villagers and talk your way into their refuge to hide out from the monsters. One of the villagers inside begins to hallucinate, and eventually lashes out and begins to butcher the other villagers. You manage to escape with one of the other villagers, a woman who helped you into the house, as the hallucinating villager sets it ablaze. The demo ends here.

source

Last edited:

yurinka

It's insulting to consider this image a leak. It's clearly a poor fake.

For sure, Capcom is making Resident Evil 8. And Nintendo a new Mario. And Sony a new God of War. You don't need to be an "insider" to tell you that. It's just common sense.

To fit VIII in village is too crappy. The word "village" doesn't fit at all with the brand. The watercolor background image doesn't fit at all with the brand.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Did not care DICK about 7. Sad it is more of the same.

Soulsdark

I'm gonna stop you right there.

You will never be the only one who has a certain opinion. You'll never be that unique, nor will I or anyone else.

Really?

Fucking no one likes Ethan. Dammit, dude.

Hey, I got a question, too:

Am I the only one who enjoys Resident Evil 4?

I always see people praising Ethan lol, saying that he's a '' relatable character '' and very well written.
To me he's just the most generic action hero man imaginable, just because he has a wife and goes to search for her cuz plot doesn't change that xD.
And regardless the whole '' family man '' trope or whatever is a part of that generic action hero man in movies too.

I see so much praise for him but he's really the worst and really boring.

He was intended to be a nobody... a completely random individual affected by the events that he was wrapped in.

He really wasn't a '' nobody '' tho.
He turns into an action hero really fast, I think that's the problem with a lot of these characters.
They only act scared in the beginning or in very limited sections and in the rest of them they're these ultra badasses throwing out one-liners constantly.
Most people aren't like that at all xD, most people irl would be scared shitless throughout the entire experience.

I mean was he really that different from Jill in the RE3 remake for example? If anything Jill probably struggled more tbh.

Last edited:

Fact is, he's not annoying nor generic, simply isn't a character, he's like a Gordon Freeman empty shell

No one says they can't characterize and recover it with 8, tho, they could give him a very distinctive personality, Capcom has shown to be good at reviving old character, either side protagonists like Carlos, or never to be seen ones like Kendo

I'm sure Ethan would receive a good rejuvenating treatment to make him a more distinct guy, they have carte blanche lol

Not a fan of another Chris presence tho, either a clone, an hallucination, the real one etc., even less with him as a potential villain, meh

The other infos make this RE like The Best ever for me, it literally has everything I could have wanted, crazy hyped

I always see people praising Ethan lol, saying that he's a '' relatable character '' and very well written.
To me he's just the most generic action hero man imaginable, just because he has a wife and goes to search for her cuz plot doesn't change that xD.
And regardless the whole '' family man '' trope or whatever is a part of that generic action hero man in movies too.

I see so much praise for him but he's really the worst and really boring.

He really wasn't a '' nobody '' tho.
He turns into an action hero really fast, I think that's the problem with a lot of these characters.
They only act scared in the beginning or in very limited sections and in the rest of them they're these ultra badasses throwing out one-liners constantly.
Most people aren't like that at all xD, most people irl would be scared shitless throughout the entire experience.

I mean was he really that different from Jill in the RE3 remake for example? If anything Jill probably struggled more tbh.

There was a theory saying Ethan could be a former umbrella scientist presumed dead, this could explain why he has a Basic weapon knowledge and a slight cold blood Vs bows, brainwashed with unconscious reflexes or not

An Ethan W. is mentioned in a game, maybe one of the dlc files?

Edit : re5
He' s also too good at mixing chemicals, too much for a normie, uh?

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
I thought that "Biohazard" was more of a clever subtitle because Resident Evil 7 was almost like a reboot for the series and Biohazard is the name of the series in Japan.

In Japan it was Biohazard VII: Resident Evil, which actually made more sense to me, because this game, unlike most entries in the franchise was about a single Residence.

Arachnid

Agreed on both. I don't really believe the rumors, but damn if they don't sound great. Village and castle settings have so much horror potential to capitalize on. The werewolf BOWs and witch/cut rumors also sound fantastic.

I also wish they'd bring back someone else for once. A random rural village is such a great time to reintroduce someone like Billy and get him out of hiding or in merc work. It would have been a good time to reintroduce Jill too. She's had more than enough time to recover from the events of RE5. She should be back with the BSAA by now.

Fact is, he's not annoying nor generic, simply isn't a character, he's like a Gordon Freeman empty shell
IDK, I felt like he had some development in RE7. He felt more in control and kind of badass as the game went on. The dude even started quipping like a great value RE4 Leon Kennedy. He felt like a likable character to me (though I get that it may be hard to connect with a character in first person)

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

Will pass if rumors are true.

I can’t stand games that constantly have a main enemy “haunting” you. I can’t take the game at my own pace and appreciate it without having to worry about getting something off my ass constantly. It’s not tense, it’s not frightening or suspenseful....it’s just fucking annoying. Ruined VII for me, and if there’s anything similar here....I’m out.

SuperGooey

It's kinda sad that when all people see out of RE is "a zombie game." It's a mutant game, with all kinds of science lab monsters. Zombies are literally the least interesting things in RE. Even the Ganado are far more interesting and creepy.

Arachnid

It's kinda sad that when all people see out of RE is "a zombie game." It's a mutant game, with all kinds of science lab monsters. Zombies are literally the least interesting things in RE. Even the Ganado are far more interesting and creepy.
Yeah, I've never understood the "RE is about zombies" crowd. Multiple games in the series don't even feature zombies.

RE is about BOWs and biohazards, period. If we stick to zombies every single game, it'll get old quick. That's why I'm so excited for the idea of werewolf BOWs and the Witch BOW (looking forward to seeing the explanation for her; but really, is some chick melting into insects that much crazier or supernatural than Marcus being formed from leeches?). Now THAT is branching out. RE as a series has the potential to make so many fucked up monstrosities.

Top Bottom