• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4: VR Edition - Review Thread

Wonko_C

kKeAZwr.jpg

Explore the iconic world of Resident Evil 4 in this all-new version, entirely made for VR. Step into the shoes of special agent Leon S. Kennedy on his mission to rescue the U.S. President’s daughter who has been kidnapped by a mysterious cult.

Key Features:

-New and unique VR interactions that put you in the shoes of Leon S. Kennedy, now entirely in first-person.
-Immersive VR environments that pull you into the mysterious world of Resident Evil 4.
-Stunning, high-resolution graphics rebuilt for VR.

OpenCritic Average Score: 85 (10 Critic Reviews)

IGN: 9/10

"Resident Evil 4 VR is a breath of fresh air for one of the most ported entries in Capcom's long-running series. While the game is missing modes like Separate Ways or The Mercenaries, Armature has crafted one of the best versions of Resident Evil 4 to date."

Destructoid: 9/10
Still, you’re getting the entire campaign, and that’s an important thing to circle back on. You know how the Wii version came out, and pointer use changed the way you played an already fantastic game? It’s like that all over again, but on a bigger scale. At this point I want all of the Resident Evil games to get this treatment. Hell, bring Dino Crisis back like this, so I can look backward and see a T-Rex running at me while hoofing it. Port Onimusha and add real-time swordplay. The sky is the limit!

Hobby Consolas: 90/100
One of the biggest survival horror hits find new home on Oculus Quest, adapting its core mechanics to the VR playground and achieving great success and bringing new emotions to the formula. It's not perfect, but playing it on Oculus Quest it's a completely new experience that any RE fan should try.

Shacknews: 9/10
Resident Evil 4 VR is one of the most surprising delights of my entire year. Every part of the base game is here, and it all fits and feels right. Every bit of the schlock, fear, and intensity is joined by a well-thought-out array of VR gunplay, puzzle-solving, melee, and other satisfying interactions. Resident Evil 4 is one of the absolute high points of the entire franchise. This is a full-on adaptation of it with nothing left out. If you weren’t cool with the narrative, scares, or schlock before, this probably won’t change your mind. But if it was the controls bothered you, this is easily the best and most enjoyable version of Resident Evil 4 to ever come out.

Game Informer: 8.8/10
RE4VR is an absolute blast. The perspective shift from third to first-person and the ability to freely run around during combat fundamentally altered how I play one of my favorite games

The Games Machine: 8.3/10
Once upon a time there was a survival horror that stood out, at the same time, as a masterpiece and a model that would be the cornerstone of the new shooter-like spirit of the series. Once upon a time but also in this very day, again, with Resident Evil 4 VR, virtual reality port not perfect, but very enjoyable.

Metro GameCentral: 8/10
Resident Evil once again proves the perfect showcase for VR, with Capcom's aging classic working surprisingly well in first person – in what may be the definitive version on a modern format.

Spaziogames: 8/10
Resident Evil 4 VR is a bet won almost entirely. Transposing the famous horror title into virtual reality might have seemed like a gamble, given the many adjustments to be made to adapt to the peripheral, but Capcom and Armature Studios have managed to put the player in the shoes of Leon Kennedy in a very believable way. The title makes great use of all the potential of the Oculus Quest and also provides various options to adapt the experience to a wide slice of players, both those looking for a more comfortable journey, and those looking for action and adrenaline.

Gameblog: 7/10
Resident Evil 4 returns in virtual reality exclusively on the Oculus Quest 2. If the game is identical to the original material in its graphics and game design, seen from the inside, necessarily, it is spectacular. Especially since the game is not stingy in very epic moments.

Video Reviews:

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Its a shame my quest 2 was trash hardware
  • Discusting greyish black levels
  • Could not get the correct IPD sweet spot
  • The edges of objects have ghosting

My product may have been broken but if you google these things other people experienced them too.

I never had a bad game hardware experience until the quest 2.

poodaddy

Gold Member
I want the game but I'm not buying anything Facebook. Even if it's five years down the road, here's hoping this comes to something else eventually.

Romulus

I quickly get bored watching live streamer playthroughs but Maximilian's is legit hilarious, and he seems to be immensely enjoying it, much more than RE7VR infact.

His wow factor would seem so fake unless I personally tried it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm definitely interested in experiencing the game in this way, but at €40, I don't know... It's still an old, dated game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Its a shame my quest 2 was trash hardware
  • Discusting greyish black levels
  • Could not get the correct IPD sweet spot
  • The edges of objects have ghosting

My product may have been broken but if you google these things other people experienced them too.

I never had a bad game hardware experience until the quest 2.

• It's an LCD
  • Yeah, if you're right in-between two of them, or outside the min/max, it's gonna be hard
  • That's just the fresnel lenses, it's impossible to have everything be sharp at the same time
So yeah, it's far from a perfect experience IQ-wise. I was also a bit taken aback with that when I first got my Quest 2, but now I don't really think about it once I'm immersed in some cool experience. And you can't really complain about what you get for the money.

Sosokrates

• It's an LCD
  • Yeah, if you're right in-between two of them, or outside the min/max, it's gonna be hard
  • That's just the fresnel lenses, it's impossible to have everything be sharp at the same time
So yeah, it's far from a perfect experience IQ-wise. I was also a bit taken aback with that when I first got my Quest 2, but now I don't really think about it once I'm immersed in some cool experience. And you can't really complain about what you get for the money.
True, ive also read that some launch unit lenses were causing the ghosting issues.
There is some great things about the quest 2, playing around in the included free holodeck game was really incredible with the roomsence and the free hand controller was incredible, but I tried that star wars immortal + that hoverball game where your floating about game and felt really sick.

After all the talk I was expecting an experience better then PSVR and way better then my galaxy VR with a galaxy S6 but to my utter shock the lenses + screen are better on the gear VR. My gear VR did not have the unacceptable edge ghosting and it had perfect black levels.

Maybe it was my unit, but I was pretty surprised people were happy about this and Facebook put out a product which had such big issues and worse black levels.

I guess if its your first time experienced VR it would be good because the roomscale + freeform controllers are great, but for me the combo of gross lcd black levels, edge ghosting, terrible ipd adjustment solution and motion sickness made me go:
FVR9LlE.gif

To Facebook.

Its like if the ps5 or xsx had an amazing physics and particle processor which could do physics + particles like cgi movies but it ran at 480p and 24fps.

The quest 2 for me was like 3steps foward but 3 steps back aswell.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
True, ive also read that some launch unit lenses were causing the ghosting issues.
There is some great things about the quest 2, playing around in the included free holodeck game was really incredible with the roomsence and the free hand controller was incredible, but I tried that star wars immortal + that hoverball game where your floating about game and felt really sick.

After all the talk I was expecting an experience better then PSVR and way better then my galaxy VR with a galaxy S6 but to my utter shock the lenses + screen are better on the gear VR. My gear VR did not have the unacceptable edge ghosting and it had perfect black levels.

Maybe it was my unit, but I was pretty surprised people were happy about this and Facebook put out a product which had such big issues and worse black levels.

I guess if its your first time experienced VR it would be good because the roomscale + freeform controllers are great, but for me the combo of gross lcd black levels, edge ghosting, terrible ipd adjustment solution and motion sickness made me go:
FVR9LlE.gif

To Facebook.

Its like if the ps5 or xsx had an amazing physics and particle processor which could do physics + particles like cgi movies but it ran at 480p and 24fps.

The quest 2 for me was like 3steps foward but 3 steps back aswell.

I guess I'm "lucky" to not really have experienced better headsets, except for the one time I tried a Vive (but I'm not sure that one really is better overall).

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This is the best game ever to do stupid things in cinematics.

M8N4EQY.gif

I wish they would allow full tracking of the hand. At least to give the thumbs up..
Looks really immersive during them cutscenes 🤔
I'm pretty sure after the VR honeymoon period ends people would just go back to the original

Last edited:

Sosokrates

I guess I'm "lucky" to not really have experienced better headsets, except for the one time I tried a Vive (but I'm not sure that one really is better overall).
There is a chance your headset is better.
Pretty sure mine had the crappy lenses, and my ipd size could not fit on the 3 presets.

I dont have anything against VR, but for me unless the sickness issue is solved, its not for me. The motion sickness happens because my eyes are telling my brain one thing but my body is telling it some else, it will probably take like 5-10yrs until they have the 2 in sync for everyone.

Reactions: Isa

DrNeroCF

Haven’t tried it yet, but it sounds like it works perfectly fine on a Quest 1. Just need to figure out if I want to play through yet again. Mercenaries mode would have been great in VR, don’t know why that’s missing (stand-alone release like on the 3ds?).

Keihart

Pretty interesting trailer. I feel like the Gamecube, Wii, and Oculus Quest versions are the only ones that felt fresh. With the Oculus version being radically different.

Wii version felt like last week lefover food reheated on a microwave.

• LOL
Reactions: TGO

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
4 years in my VR honeymoon is still going strong. I won't touch the original RE4 after playing it this way.
I was actually referring to just the game being played in VR, not VR as a whole.
RE7 in VR is the only way to play it, it's completely shiet without it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There is a chance your headset is better.
Pretty sure mine had the crappy lenses, and my ipd size could not fit on the 3 presets.

I dont have anything against VR, but for me unless the sickness issue is solved, its not for me. The motion sickness happens because my eyes are telling my brain one thing but my body is telling it some else, it will probably take like 5-10yrs until they have the 2 in sync for everyone.
I don't know, I get a lot of god rays and halos around bright objects, a very small sweet spot where things don't look all smeared out, etc. I think that's just how it is. Definitely pretty terrible image quality overall compared to gaming on a TV, but I guess the immersion makes up for it for me.

As for the motion sickness, I've never had that from VR, but either way I find that the best VR experiences are the more stationary ones where you mostly interact with stuff in your immediate surroundings.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't understand why they had to do the cutscenes that way. Sure, maybe they couldn't do them in 1st person, but couldn't they have put you as an observer in the world instead of just throwing up a virtual screen in front of you? Or are these video files, and the original animation data doesn't exist anymore to run them in-engine?

Also the 3rd person kicking etc. Why couldn't that be done while keeping you in the 1st person perspective? Just seems weird.

DubReno

I don't understand why they had to do the cutscenes that way. Sure, maybe they couldn't do them in 1st person, but couldn't they have put you as an observer in the world instead of just throwing up a virtual screen in front of you? Or are these video files, and the original animation data doesn't exist anymore to run them in-engine?

Also the 3rd person kicking etc. Why couldn't that be done while keeping you in the 1st person perspective? Just seems weird.

When the cutscenes were in real time on Gamecube, you could use an action replay to move the camera around and see just how inconsistent the lighting and character model positioning was just to get the best shot for the scene. Most things that arent on camera in the cutscene are T-posing, frozen or just not there at all so putting you in there as an observer would mean they would have to completely reanimate each cutscene from scratch.

ZehDon

This used to be the case; starting with the PS2 release, several ports just had video files instead of in-game cinematics, which meant your unlocked outfits didn't display in cutscenes. However, looking at the footage from folks who have finished this version of the game, your unlocked outfits do appear, meanings its likely being rendered in real time. They might have figured it was too much work to complete everything ready for the camera to look around, or, get the cutscenes not feeling uncomfortable in VR.

Last edited:

lukilladog

This must be the flop of the year, 5 viewers on twith ATM :

Romulus

Idk why you're so confused, a single-player VR is not representative of the experience whatsoever and not worth watching playthroughs. And outside of some highlights, it looks janky on top of that.

ZehDon

A Quest 2 VR Exclusive remake of a fifteen year old single player survival horror game most have already played multiple times isn't doing well on Twitch?
tenor.gif

Idk if this is judgeable by that metric. I adore the game, can't stop thinking about it but I don't care about watching someone else play it

s-bojan

Banned

It is my goty.
You cannot easily stream this and follow the chat.

It is my goty.
You cannot easily stream this and follow the chat.
It's incredible. They really put a lot of work into it. You can play it immersively and slow if you want, but also John Wick tf outa spanierds. The only change I want is if they could add a patch to take out some of the out of body actions. Jumping out of windows and roundhouse kicking. I don't need the camera to somersault or spin, just keep me in the game, show a leg spin across the screen.

Nonchalently mic dropping a grenade into a house full of genados is so baller.

Top Bottom