• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake Improved On All Consoles: Patch 1.004 Tested on PS5 and Xbox Series X/S

DonJorginho

Banned
Now we await the all important summary post...

Now We Wait GIF by Fargo

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
PS5....so what is the recommendation now after the latest patch for the best way to play with the best image?

Resolution with RT on, everything else off?
Resolution with everything on?

Framerate with RT on, everything else off?
Framerate with everything on?

Gambit2483

Started playing on PS5 Performance with both RT and hair on and it looks and runs absolutely fine 👍

Unless I'm missing something Capcom did an amazing job with this update.

FeastYoEyes

Playing on PS5, the improvement to stability with RT is pretty substantial. The visuals look much crisper now too. Time for another playthrough....

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
TL-DR

Visuals:

- Update 1.4 introduces mercenaries and various fixes
- Oliver was "frustrated" with the state of the game at launch
- Major launch issues were IQ issues, specifically on PS5

- Post patch PS5's IQ issues have been remedied to 'some degree', not perfect but it's better.
- PS5 Lens Distortion has been fixed, previously it was broken.
- Comparatively, Series S and X look worse compared to launch now with worse anti aliasing applied with this patch.
- Aside the above, the resolution metrics are the same and have not been changed since launch.

- SSR reflections have been completely eliminated, they were bad before.
- Net improvement even though it may seem like a settings downgrade.
- Series S still retains SSR in Frame Rate mode for some reason
- RT reflections are the same, have not received any upgrade/downgrade
- Series S still has lower resolution RT, where it is forced on in Resolution mode (no explicit toggle like Series X or PS5)

- Strand based hair are still not fully fixed and look odd with some lighting.

Performance:

- As of the latest patch, Series X generally runs 5 ~ 10 FPS faster than at launch.
- Frame rate mode is a locked 60 FPS mode on SX now. Resolution mode is mostly at or near 60 with drops to mid 50s in combat and stress areas.
- Series S also runs 'considerably better'. Aside from dips in the rainy areas, the frame rate mode runs very close to 60 at all times with Resolution mode still dropping heavily in stress areas.
- PS5 is more or less the same, certainly possible there are general performance improvements but they are minor compared to Xbox versions frame rate improvements.
- While performance boost is appreciated, most graphical modes still prone to drop.
- DF thinks an option to cap frame rate at 30 would be good for those who do not have VRR displays.

- Dead Zone issues have been mostly remedied as well.
- Controls feel 'pretty appropriate' now.

Mercenaries:

- Performance matches the base game in stressful combat areas.
- DF recommend sticking to frame rate modes for a locked 60.

Last edited:

AMSCD

If you are playing on a PC with an Nvidia card, get the DLSS mod on Nexus Mods. It improves visual quality and framerate significantly better than FSR.

Darsxx82

Unless I'm missing something Capcom did an amazing job with this update.
On PS5 maybe, but the patch has smashed IQ on XSX by changing the rebuild method to the one used by PS5. And yet, they haven't even bothered to adjust the performance mode resolution now that it runs at a locked 60fps.

That is to say, for many the patch has not served to improve the experience, quite the contrary. Before the patch, the RT performance mode (which had a better IQ than the post-patch resolution mode) performed adequately. Now there are none wholly satisfactory for me at least.

Last edited:

Banned
TL-DR

- Dead Zone issues have been mostly remedied as well.
- Controls feel 'pretty appropriate' now.

big disagree right there. the deadzone is still way too big, it's now on par with PC, which is still about 2x as big as on PS5.

it feels like the Xbox team, PS5 team and PC team at Capcom don't talk to eachother when optimising this game given the bizzare differences found, especially in the launch version.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
For some reason, it always runs like garbage for me on the tunnel leading up to the 2 el gigante fight after the last patch, (playing on ps5) wonder if it's fixed now.
ANyone know if they patched out the door glitches?

The one that got into trouble when the demo analysis came out and now that the game is half fixed, barely comments anything, the game should have come out like this almost a month ago but always in a hurry.

Gambit2483

On PS5 maybe, but the patch has smashed IQ on XSX by changing the rebuild method to the one used by PS5. And yet, they haven't even bothered to adjust the performance mode resolution now that it runs at a locked 60fps.

That is to say, for many the patch has not served to improve the experience, quite the contrary. Before the patch, the RT performance mode (which had a better IQ than the post-patch resolution mode) performed adequately. Now there are none wholly satisfactory for me at least.

Yea, I can only speak for PS5. A shame if that's (still) the case for Xbox though 😕

Darsxx82

Sorry for de bump.

New patch focused almost specifically on the XSeries version. As they point out, deadzone control has been improved somewhat more than the previous patch. And the IQ has been "readjusted" again. I cannot verify the degree of change (Im not at home for days). But on Reddit they say that the IQ in XSX has gained quality again but it is not clear that it has launch level IQ now .

https://www.residentevil.com/re4/en-us/topics/update/

April 23, 2023
[PlayStation®5 / PlayStation®4 / Xbox Series X|S / Steam]
  • An issue where certain key items become unobtainable, preventing the player from progressing through the main story, has been fixed. (Announced March 31, 2023)
  • An issue causing players to warp through walls when using the scope in certain areas has been fixed.
[PS5 / PS4]
  • Incorrect text displaying for certain trophy explanations in some languages has been fixed.
    (Brazilian Portuguese and Latin American Spanish)
[XSX|S]
  • An issue preventing the game from launching when downloadable content has been installed and an account with content restrictions is logged in has been fixed.
  • Fixes to the stick dead zone (the range in which the controller's sticks don't respond to movement) made on April 7 have been further adjusted.
  • Changes to the graphics rendering process made on April 7 have been readjusted.
[PS5 / PS4 / XSX|S / Steam]
  • Other miscellaneous bug fixes.

Naked Lunch

I really wish devs released finished games - especially for single player titles.
What is the point of buying games on launch anymore?
You pay more and play the worst version. 'Thanks for your support'.
The industry is beyond heading in the wrong direction.

adamsapple

[XSX|S]
  • An issue preventing the game from launching when downloadable content has been installed and an account with content restrictions is logged in has been fixed.
  • Fixes to the stick dead zone (the range in which the controller's sticks don't respond to movement) made on April 7 have been further adjusted.
  • Changes to the graphics rendering process made on April 7 have been readjusted.

readjusted ?

does that mean they took out the shitty PS5 equivalent AA and made it pristine like launch?

Will check when I get a chance to see if therre's improvements.

poodaddy

Here's hoping DF will take yet another look at the game. I'm sure at some point they'll cut it off and say no more content for this one game, and that's totally fair, but I hope they take a final look at the game when most of the post launch patching is finished.

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
readjusted ?

does that mean they took out the shitty PS5 equivalent AA and made it pristine like launch?

Will check when I get a chance to see if therre's improvements.
Would be nice to see people opinions about the new update.. still haven't decided what version to buy.

adamsapple

Run up to the village and almost all the shimmering in the foliage has been removed. A "victory" on Capcom's part for simply reintroducing the original and superior AA solution lol.

Top / Left : Patch 1.004
Bottom / Right : 4/24 update

IQ sharpness has also been restored.

8xajndy.png
zhQ7hEx.png

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Awesome !

Capcom have fixed the shitty shimmering AA on the Xbox. With the improved dead zones, this is probably the best of both worlds version now.

4PSQdh2.jpg
Cleary the IQ is improved. It would be a matter of comparing with the demo that still maintains the original IQ to know to what extent it is better now.

What is your feeling with the performance?
Taking into account that by changing the reconstruction method the framerate increased..... Has it now been affected??

Banned
[XSX|S]

I don't feel an ounce of a difference... maybe the reaction curve is slightly different... maybe... but it's not a smaller deadzone

adamsapple

I don't feel an ounce of a difference... maybe the reaction curve is slightly different... maybe... but it's not a smaller deadzone

I played a bit and generally the controls felt the same as 1.004 to me, there might be some smaller adjustments, hopefully that YT channel that did the deadzone checks will do one on this again.

But I'm so glad they took the shitty AA out. Game looks pristine with no shimmering, again.

MrA

Banned
Sorry for de bump.

New patch focused almost specifically on the XSeries version. As they point out, deadzone control has been improved somewhat more than the previous patch. And the IQ has been "readjusted" again. I cannot verify the degree of change (Im not at home for days). But on Reddit they say that the IQ in XSX has gained quality again but it is not clear that it has launch level IQ now .

https://www.residentevil.com/re4/en-us/topics/update/

April 23, 2023
[PlayStation®5 / PlayStation®4 / Xbox Series X|S / Steam]
  • An issue where certain key items become unobtainable, preventing the player from progressing through the main story, has been fixed. (Announced March 31, 2023)
  • An issue causing players to warp through walls when using the scope in certain areas has been fixed.
Speed runners are crying right now

Three

Awesome !

Capcom have fixed the shitty shimmering AA on the Xbox. With the improved dead zones, this is probably the best of both worlds version now.

4PSQdh2.jpg
Looks like they removed the (volumetric?) lighting now you just don't get as much specular reflection, is it baked? More bizarrely why did the police lettering on the hood disappear? Is it random?

adamsapple

Looks like they removed the (volumetric?) lighting now you just don't get as much specular reflection, is it baked? More bizarrely why did the police lettering on the hood disappear? Is it random?

The viewing angle isn't the same, the car texture is still there.

killatopak

Gold Member
I wish they fixed some of the more wonky parts of the game. Like grenades doing more damage at lower fps. Enemy AI reacts faster the higher your framerate is. Del Lago fight where if your harpoon touches just an inch of water, it counts as a miss and never damages it.

DavidGzz

I didn't notice it as much before I got to chapter 9 but textures are taking too long to load. I'll pan the camera and the statue faces noticeably go from simple to complex. It's a little annoying. On XSX, btw.

Last edited:

adamsapple

I didn't notice it as much before I got to chapter 9 but textures are taking too long to load. I'll pan the camera and the statue faces noticeably go from simple to complex. It's a little annoying. On XSX, btw.

Yeah, unfortunately one more negative side effect of 1.004 was that texture streaming got worse, I haven't played much outside the cursory testing with 1.005 so not sure if it's still as bad or better now.

Top Bottom