• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 HD Project - Progress Thread

Soodanim

Gold Member
What kind of PC is needed to run at constant 60fps at 1080p with this mod? Will a Ryzen 2600 + GTX 1660 do the job?

I'm curious about that too. My desktop PC has a 2080 in it, so I'm not worried about it on performance, but it's currently on the way to Maine, so I'm stuck with the laptop for gaming for the next month or so.
I can’t see this being too demanding. Increased resolution textures replacing smaller ones, as far as I’m aware, is mostly just a VRAM issue. Outside of that, it’s the same game it was before - an upgraded GameCube game.

My 4690k and 1660ti runs 1080p without a single drop. The only issue I can foresee is if the engine doesn’t scale well and it doesn’t like 4k too much, but I doubt that will be the case.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!

Doczu

Haha I see you already know XDD

Download and instructions here!

Lets Do This Reaction GIF by Serena Kerrigan

Kuranghi

What a brilliant effort Albert and Cris, thanks again for all your hard work, things like 3D modelling the wine rack that was originally basically a 2D image is amazing, above-and-beyond work and that it still maintains the original feeling is outstanding.

Not enough celebration on GAF for these guys so lets give them the reception they deserve!

Resident Evil 4: Ultimate HD Edition, you can get it pretty cheap these days.

Exactly, super cheap, so heres a PC WW Steam Key for those who don't have it already/hype purposes: LVRI8-5XGNK-69C2T

Downloading the 1.0 torrent now and fresh installing RE4: Ultimate HD Edition to make sure there are no file snafus. Can I ask what the preferred PS4/DS4 prompts/buttons mod is for using with RE4 HD? I know you can't guarantee compatibilty with 1.0 since its just out but what about the last released version? Am I over-thinking it and just grab any one?

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Download choice comparison:

Mega is nice and quick but has daily limits for free users
Mediafire isn't as quick as Mega but doesn't seem to have limits for me other than you needing to download each file individually
Nexus is currently locked, but will be 2mb/s for free users when it unlocks
Torrents will eventually be much quicker as more seeders get full downloads, but when I tried they were giving me about 2mb/s so I gave up. Use something like qBitTorrent if you go this route.

I got the first two parts from Mega and the rest is downloading from Mediafire as a write this.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So from my understanding you need the original RE4 PC right?

No, you need the Ultimate HD version available on Steam.

On topic: this is fucking amazing.

Download choice comparison:

Mega is nice and quick but has daily limits for free users
Mediafire isn't as quick as Mega but doesn't seem to have limits for me other than you needing to download each file individually
Nexus is currently locked, but will be 2mb/s for free users when it unlocks
Torrents will eventually be much quicker as more seeders get full downloads, but when I tried they were giving me about 2mb/s so I gave up. Use something like qBitTorrent if you go this route.

I got the first two parts from Mega and the rest is downloading from Mediafire as a write this.

Media fire is the best web host of the options.

No daily limit, and seems to have maxed out my 300 MBit connection for downloading. Downloaded the entire 38 gigs in minutes. Mega is fast but it only has a 5GB limit unless you pay for the higher tier. And torrents are hit or miss in my experience.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

For the torrent I got ~64MB/s on average on my 1150mbit connection so hopefully it gets better as more people seed but its not too bad.

Takes 1/4 that time to copy the 1000s of files on my old HDDs lol. Still better to do that than move the file in case my DS4 prompts mod messes shit up and I'd have to download/verify everything again.

Kuranghi

Hmmm, my game won't start properly after installing. I see the black screen with 4GB warning but I can't click OK before it crashes to desktop, so I used the 4GB tool manually but now I just get the same but without the message popup, hard crash to desktop.

I didn't start the game after installing before I copied the HD project folders though so I'm starting from scratch and will see if doing that and also not installing the PS prompts mod fixes it.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Hmmm, my game won't start properly after installing. I see the black screen with 4GB warning but I can't click OK before it crashes to desktop, so I used the 4GB tool manually but now I just get the same but without the message popup, hard crash to desktop.

I didn't start the game after installing before I copied the HD project folders though so I'm starting from scratch and will see if doing that and also not installing the PS prompts mod fixes it.
I definitely installed a few things years ago, but I have no idea what they were so I nuked my entire install and started fresh. Just finished setting mine up.

For anyone who's going to be going in balls deep from start to finish, your old save data is located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\{yoursteamid}\254700\remote\savegame00.sav

That file contains everything, so simply delete that and it's a fresh start.

Kuranghi

I definitely installed a few things years ago, but I have no idea what they were so I nuked my entire install and started fresh. Just finished setting mine up.

For anyone who's going to be going in balls deep from start to finish, your old save data is located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\{yoursteamid}\254700\remote\savegame00.sav

It started fine with the original files just there, now I'm moving the mod's BIO4 folder into place and see what happens this time. I suspect its the controller prompts mod I was using. Takes so long to copy the folder over, I can't just move it because I still want to seed back the torrent for a while.

edit - Seems fine now, was able to install 4GB patch using popup, probably wait for an update on button prompt mods for now just in case. Gonna have to muscle memory those X prompts ha.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Can I not just start a new save game slot and start from scratch? Or will that give me NG+ stuff or something? Its been a while.

I get you if you just mean, having a clear save board though.

Soodanim

Gold Member
It started fine with the original files just there, now I'm moving the mod's BIO4 folder into place and see what happens this time. I suspect its the controller prompts mod I was using. Takes so long to copy the folder over, I can't just move it because I still want to seed back the torrent for a while.

edit - Seems fine now, was able to install 4GB patch using popup, probably wait for an update on button prompt mods for now just in case. Gonna have to muscle memory those X prompts ha.
I gave up on PS prompts years ago even though I use a ds4, I decide it was just easier to get used to Xbox even though I grew up with PlayStation.
Can I not just start a new save game slot and start from scratch? Or will that give me NG+ stuff or something? Its been a while.

I get you if you just mean, having a clear save board though.
The game save as a whole retains unlocks modes, costumes and everything else. I could have just overwritten old saves, but I wanted to go fresh as if it was new.

I’m playing super slow, and it’s partially the FOV tweak breaking the familiarity of aiming (or I’m just rusty) but the game is harder when I’m not going as quick ask usually do.

Soodanim

Gold Member
If you're like me, and still have muscle memory for the GC/PS2 controls from a long long time ago, then find \Resident Evil 4\BIO4\input.dll

Scroll down to the XINPUT_CONTROLLER_A section, and replace it with the code below. You can replace B or C if you like in case you want to quickly swap back to the original layout. Back up your original file either way.
This will give you classic PS2 controls, which are the closest match for current controllers.
A (PS: X) is shoot/confirm
X (PS: Square) is run/cancel
Y (PS: Triangle) is inventory
Shoulder buttons and triggers swapped back
Start is the pause menu
Select is map

Now you can aim and shoot with R1+X like it always was when the world was better

Warning: there seems to be no way (that I know of) to swap button prompt displays on screen at this time, so if your QTE says mash X you will need to mash A and vice versa, same with trigger QTEs

INI:
###XINPUT_CONTROLLER_A

KEY_FORWARD = QKEY_GC_B4
KEY_FORWARD = QKEY_GC_B20
KEY_BACK = QKEY_GC_B3
KEY_BACK = QKEY_GC_B19
KEY_RIGHT = QKEY_GC_B2
KEY_RIGHT = QKEY_GC_B18
KEY_LEFT = QKEY_GC_B1
KEY_LEFT = QKEY_GC_B17
KEY_KAMAE = QKEY_GC_B6
KEY_RELOCKON = QKEY_GC_B8
KEY_RUN = QKEY_GC_B11
KEY_FIRE = QKEY_GC_B9
KEY_ASHLEY = QKEY_GC_B5
KEY_CK = QKEY_GC_B9
KEY_KAMAE_KNIFE = QKEY_GC_B7
KEY_ST = QKEY_GC_B12
KEY_OPTION = QKEY_GC_B13
KEY_C_U = QKEY_GC_B24
KEY_C_D = QKEY_GC_B23
KEY_Y = QKEY_GC_B12
KEY_X = QKEY_GC_B10
KEY_B = QKEY_GC_B11
KEY_A = QKEY_GC_B9
KEY_SSCRN = QKEY_GC_B12
KEY_MAP = QKEY_GC_B14
KEY_LB = QKEY_GC_B7
KEY_RB = QKEY_GC_B6
KEY_U = QKEY_GC_B4
KEY_U = QKEY_GC_B20
KEY_D = QKEY_GC_B3
KEY_D = QKEY_GC_B19
KEY_R = QKEY_GC_B2
KEY_R = QKEY_GC_B18
KEY_L = QKEY_GC_B1
KEY_L = QKEY_GC_B17
KEY_Z = QKEY_GC_B7
KEY_Z = QKEY_GC_B6
KEY_EV_CANCEL = QKEY_GC_B14
KEY_CANCEL = QKEY_GC_B10
KEY_CANCEL = QKEY_GC_B11
KEY_OK = QKEY_GC_B9
KEY_OK = QKEY_GC_B9
KEY_LL = QKEY_GC_B1
KEY_LR = QKEY_GC_B2
KEY_LD = QKEY_GC_B3
KEY_LU = QKEY_GC_B4
KEY_C_R = QKEY_GC_B22
KEY_C_L = QKEY_GC_B21

I used this page as a guide, in case you want to make your own changes: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=233178727

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Capcom's Resident Evil 4 gets a free HD mod on PC. This mod updates thousands of in-game textures and adds features like a debug mode and FOV slider. Check out our comparison of the 2014 release VS the fan-funded HD upgrade. You can download this mod made by Albert Marin for free at www.re4hd.com

The fan-made Resident Evil 4 HD project launches with enhanced lighting, graphical fidelity and improved visuals for both in-game and UI. This comparison video shows off differences in gameplay between the original 2014 PC release and the fan-made HD mod, where over 1,000 textures and models have been updated.

Time has been kind to Capcom’s Resident Evil 4. Originally released in 2005 as an exclusive for the Nintendo GameCube, the game has seen it’s number of ports and versions on just about every modern platform. Today, while you’re able to revisit RE4 on your phone or in virtual reality, little has been done to upgrade the 17-year-old graphics and textures. Even with the release of the 2014 PC port, the beloved entry is beginning to show its age. Fortunately, a fan-funded HD mod has been created to overhaul textures and provide the sharpest experience to date. The Resident Evil 4 HD mod by Albert Marin is available now on steam.

Finally installed the mod and...

.... HOLY SHIT. All of the pictures and all of the videos out there, as good as they look, don't do this mod justice. Seeing the mod running on my own monitor, in motion...this looks fantastic.

One very minor visual thing (forgive my horribly disorganized attache case, I just booted it up real quick in a New Game+ to soak in the visual awesomeness :messenger_tears_of_joy:):

ZzrhEb5.jpg

Note Leon's jacket -- at the front it looks goofy, almost as if the jacket is "tucked in" his pants. But I went back and checked on this game on a different platform (Switch) and this is not due to the HD Project mod; this is the way it has been for all HD versions (I think). Maybe it has even been like this since the very first GameCube version. It's extremely minor (in the "nit" category), but given how awesome the game looks now, this was easier to notice.

The textures are quite something else. Everything looks awesome. I'm gonna joke and say at this point I don't even care about Capcom's remake of the game :messenger_squinting_tongue:

Loving everything about this mod. So amazing.

A pretty cool thing: So, those of us "hardcore" RE4 fans remember how Biohazard 4 (JP version of RE4) has this thing where, randomly and inexplicably, the one chapter where Ashley is playable is in Fixed camera. These modders were awesome and put that in.

The mod is changeable on the fly, too, so you can swap between them seamlessly:

Regular over-the-shoulder mode:

nyxSh4V.jpg

Same exact spot the fixed camera mod applied:

ZI74Hn1.jpg

The rest of the shots are while in fixed camera mode:

ILxjmwg.jpg

EKeHHqc.jpg

FQJfBkz.jpg

c1dFAIF.jpg

By the way, unless you're an RE4/Bio4 veteran I do NOT recommend you play Ashley's section in fixed camera mode. It's a neat concept and a cool callback to all of RE4's predecessors, but it controls goofy and feels weird, and if you don't know what you're doing, it can get you killed. It's nice that it's a toggable option in this mod, because when I originally played Biohazard 4 the first time, Ashley's section was a pain in the ass :messenger_tears_of_joy:

A pretty cool thing: So, those of us "hardcore" RE4 fans remember how Biohazard 4 (JP version of RE4) has this thing where, randomly and inexplicably, the one chapter where Ashley is playable is in Fixed camera. These modders were awesome and put that in.

nyxSh4V.jpg

ZI74Hn1.jpg

ILxjmwg.jpg

EKeHHqc.jpg

FQJfBkz.jpg

c1dFAIF.jpg

By the way, unless you're an RE4/Bio4 veteran I do NOT recommend you play Ashley's section in fixed camera mode. It's a neat concept and a cool callback to all of RE4's predecessors, but it controls goofy and feels weird, and if you don't know what you're doing, it can get you killed. It's nice that it's a toggable option in this mod, because when I originally played Biohazard 4 the first time, Ashley's section was a pain in the ass :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Downloaded the JP Biohazard 4 to try out that fixed cam section as Ashley, neat that it's available as a toggle here! I will soon get up to that part as her, I think I just finished the sewers

Downloaded the JP Biohazard 4 to try out that fixed cam section as Ashley, neat that it's available as a toggle here! I will soon get up to that part as her, I think I just finished the sewers
Yup, that's exactly right. After the sewers there's another section with lots of cultists/zealots, but once you finish that chapter, it's Ashley's chapter (I think her chapter is 3-4).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another thing: I might be really drunk and not remembering anything, but in ALL of my years playing RE4 (which are many), I don't ever remember there being Novistadors in this room (Chapter 3-2, in the room next to the area where you have to shoot the glass of wine in the painting to unlock something):

i3K8PDN.jpg

vZT1Bww.jpg

There were TWO Novistadors in this room this time around. And, again, unless I'm just getting senile, I don't ever remember there being Novistadors here, and I've done lots of playthroughs of this game, in both regular and (mostly) Professional modes, in various conditions. Huh....

Yup, that's exactly right. After the sewers there's another section with lots of cultists/zealots, but once you finish that chapter, it's Ashley's chapter (I think her chapter is 3-4).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another thing: I might be really drunk and not remembering anything, but in ALL of my years playing RE4 (which are many), I don't ever remember there being Novistadors in this room (Chapter 3-2, in the room next to the area where you have to shoot the glass of wine in the painting to unlock something):

i3K8PDN.jpg

vZT1Bww.jpg

There were TWO Novistadors in this room this time around. And, again, unless I'm just getting senile, I don't ever remember there being Novistadors here, and I've done lots of playthroughs of this game, in both regular and (mostly) Professional modes, in various conditions. Huh....
Bruh. Da fuck! That's really trippy to see XD I too never recalled that...I think the dev for the HD Project unearthed some secrets like scrapped levels and other oddities because things like that certainly are out of the ordinary XD

Bruh. Da fuck!
This made me laugh really hard :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:. Because that was exactly my reaction when I saw the Novistadors there; caught me completely off guard.

That's really trippy to see XD I too never recalled that...I think the dev for the HD Project unearthed some secrets like scrapped levels and other oddities because things like that certainly are out of the ordinary XD
Huh! I didn't know that at all, that sounds awesome. "Scrapped levels and other oddities"... Imagine if Hook Man shows up? (I know he won't). Haha you would lose your shit if he does, I remember reading you being a big fan of RE 3.5 :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
This made me laugh really hard :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:. Because that was exactly my reaction when I saw the Novistadors there; caught me completely off guard.

Huh! I didn't know that at all, that sounds awesome. "Scrapped levels and other oddities"... Imagine if Hook Man shows up? (I know he won't). Haha you would lose your shit if he does, I remember reading you being a big fan of RE 3.5 :messenger_tears_of_joy:
My avatar is 3.5 Leon, of course I'm a big fan of RE3.5 :p

I do recall reading something about a screenshot of a test or scrapped level of RE4 from this HD Project, not sure where I stumbled across it but it was intriguing to see

Soodanim

Gold Member

i3K8PDN.jpg

vZT1Bww.jpg

How in the….
I thought I’d seen everything. I have NEVER seen that. I thought that room was a reward for circling back. Maybe it’s because I usually wait until I get Ashley to go through. I need to check.
My avatar is 3.5 Leon, of course I'm a big fan of RE3.5 :p

I do recall reading something about a screenshot of a test or scrapped level of RE4 from this HD Project, not sure where I stumbled across it but it was intriguing to see
It’s a dev room they restored access to, and you’ve probably see the access point if you’ve played through the game more than once, but you don’t remember it because it’s insignificant until you know what it is.

Hint for where to find it: The left route after the cabin. It’s worth looking at, but you might want to do it with the Ditman glitch on NG+ because there’s some running involved. And whatever you do, please do not make the same mistake I did and leave Ashley at the top of the ladder. She never shuts up, and you don’t want her whiny voice shouting at you on repeat. As for what's down there: I'll let you find out for yourselves.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

nyxSh4V.jpg

ZI74Hn1.jpg

ILxjmwg.jpg

EKeHHqc.jpg

FQJfBkz.jpg

c1dFAIF.jpg

As long as Ashley can still suplex like Eddie Guerrero, I'm a happy camper!

Soodanim

Gold Member
I ran through to check out Novistador room (luckily I had a save at 2-1, so it didn't take long), and they're there. If you go before fighting the Garrador in the drop down cage, they're there. If you shoot the second one off the wall then walk round the table until he de-aggros, he will try and walk back to his wall spot but can't because there's a cupboard in the way. He's so dedicated to it that he ignores a lot of TMP shots. Thanks for the new info InfiniteCombo InfiniteCombo

Last edited:
I ran through to check out Novistador room (luckily I had a save at 2-1, so it didn't take long), and they're there. If you go before fighting the Garrador in the drop down cage, they're there. If you shoot the second one off the wall then walk round the table until he de-aggros, he will try and walk back to his wall spot but can't because there's a cupboard in the way. He's so dedicated to it that he ignores a lot of TMP shots. Thanks for the new info InfiniteCombo InfiniteCombo
Huh, I'll experiment with this more. So the condition is to go to that room before the Garrador cage sequence?

I could've sworn I've gone to that room before the Garrador in previous playthroughs -- like you said, it's a "reward room" of sorts but I would just come and get everything in this room and bail back out (towards the Garrador and then the room after with the deployable bridge and the rocket launcher inside the glass case), and never come back to this room (not even with Ashley). But maybe I'm misremembering...

Not surprising, though. People are still finding new stuff with this game, almost 17 years after it came out. I remember seeing a 2020 YouTube video of a prominent RE4 speedrunner (MikeWave, I believe) talking about discovering a new 5-1 Island skip (still Ditman but much easier than the previous 5-1 Ditman skip).

Top Bottom