• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 3 PS5 And XSX Version Rated, Supports 3D Audio, Ray-Tracing and 60 FPS

Can't wait. Particularly for re2.

But I will replay 7 as well, eventually, and I have a copy of 3 but haven't played it yet, so this update will be a good excuse to play it.

Wonder how big an upgrade this will be from ps4 pro to ps5. Pro had the more crisp image vs. Xbox one X, funny enough. Just getting rid of those broken, disgusting reflections will be nice.

Last edited:
Did you play Resident Evil 3 in 1999? That REmake is a shell of the original.

I never saw a REmake so bad in my life… not just the quality but about the whole game was cut.

REmake 2 has a lot of things cut but not at the extension of REmake 3.

No I’ve never played the original RE 3. So my opinion is based entirely on the Remake’s quality as its own game.

ethomaz

Banned
No I’ve never played the original RE 3. So my opinion is based entirely on the Remake’s quality as its own game.
Think like they got RE3 and made a demo from it but that demo somehow has the begin and the (new) ending 🤔

That makes sense?

I mean they removed key characters for the story lol

Last edited:

lachesis

Looking forward to play again!
It's been only a month or so since I finished RE3 - so I think I will wait a bit more so that the memory is not as fresh. :)

Think like they got RE3 and made a demo from it but that demo somehow has the begin and the (new) ending 🤔

That makes sense?

I mean they removed key characters for the story lol

Yeah I can see how that would be frustrating. Sounds like RE3 Remake is more enjoyable for those who never played the original.

K' Dash

Yeah I can see how that would be frustrating. Sounds like RE3 Remake is more enjoyable for those who never played the original.
I played RE3 to hell and back when it launched, I replayed it so much I could finish it in my sleep.

I love RE3R, I love new Jill and new Carlos, I dig the changes made and the only thing I miss a bit is the tower, but thats no biggie.

People crying like a little bitch because the game is not 1:1 are just annoying and hyperbolic. I agree the game shouldn't have sold for $60, but now thats not an issue.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Ah, that would explain it.

For first timers, RE3make probably feels like a more action oriented and faster paced version of RE2make.

For the folks who have played the original, the remake just cut too many key moments and locations and streamlined way too much of the plot which is why most of the older fans have a negative attitude towards it. Especially after how good of a remake RE2 was, it expanded over the original game in almost every way.

Banned
For first timers, RE3make probably feels like a more action oriented and faster paced version of RE2make.

which exactly mirrors how og RE3 felt for og RE2 players lol. so mission accomplished I guess

Doesn't at least resident evil 2 already have 3d audio?

3D audio is just Sony's own surround sound naming scheme. most games have similar audio capabilities that aren't called "3D Audio".
Dolby Atmos for example is basically the exact same thing and which is the best solution is up for debate.

3D Audio is often completely misrepresented as some new and special thing, often by people that wouldn't hear the difference in a blind test anyways, and can be hit or miss depending on implementation just like any surround format can.

Sony's 3D Audio can technically support more objects in a 3D space at once compared to Atmos, but if you tell me you can hear the difference between 1000 different sources of raindrops or... bees or something, and the ~110 (I think) Atmos can simulate, then you're lying... not only that but also, which game actually uses that many different sound sources that are distinctly coming from different directions? like... is ~110 not enough? do we need the ability to simulate the direction of like 1000 bees at once? I don't think so. the human ear is nowhere near that capable to actually make that shit out, especially being then simulated by what are basically stereo headphones.

that is also what people need to keep in mind here. what people call 5.1 Surround sound headphones or "3D Audio" or "Dolby Atmos" Headphones, are technically usually Stereo headphones, usually having 2 sources of sound that get directed in a way that simulates a surround sound setup, far from an actual surround sound setup like a 7.1 setup with 7 speakers around and above you + sub-woofer.

this can of course sound great, but honestly, I bet it makes a way bigger difference to buy a really good headset than the difference between normal Dolby 5.1 and "3D Audio"

so what this basically means is that the game will now support Sony's proprietary 3D audio solution instead of only Atmos which it already had on Xbox One.

Last edited:

adamsapple

which exactly mirrors how og RE3 felt for og RE2 players lol. so mission accomplished I guess

I would counter that by saying that OG RE3 had incredible replay value with all the varaitions, multiple endings, live decisions etc. More replay value than OG RE2 even :p (OG Re2 is still my more preferred game of the two).

RE3make doesn't even try to replicate those things. Instead it opts to present a Michael Bay esque adventure.

Last edited:

drotahorror

most likely yes... I mean, why not? but on PC they don't need a new age rating since it's still the same version and only a patch. this right here is a completely new SKU
Never know with Capcom. Made DMC V SE console exclusive. But I had heard about this update being for all platforms already. Didn’t think about it being a new SKU.

Banned
I would counter that by saying that OG RE3 had incredible replay value with all the varaitions, multiple endings, live decisions etc. More replay value than OG RE2 even :p (OG Re2 is still my more preferred game of the two).

RE3make doesn't even try to replicate those things. Instead it opts to present a Michael Bay esque adventure.

I would argue that REmake 3 also has good replay value simply due to the fact that it is very compact and to the point with a lot to unlock.
short + action + difficulty settings to unlock + items to unlock also is pretty good replay value.

of course having additional stuff like what og RE3 had would increase that even further. but still

Ah, that would explain it.

For the folks who have played the original, the remake just cut too many key moments and locations and streamlined way too much of the plot which is why most of the older fans have a negative attitude towards it. Especially after how good of a remake RE2 was, it expanded over the original game in almost every way.

Yup that’s 100% how it felt to someone who had never played either original RE 2 or RE 3. I loved both Remakes. RE 3 felt like a more action focused, straight line deviation from RE 2. Both were a great time.

MikeM

3D audio is just Sony's own surround sound naming scheme. most games have similar audio capabilities that aren't called "3D Audio".
Dolby Atmos for example is basically the exact same thing and which is the best solution is up for debate.

3D Audio is often completely misrepresented as some new and special thing, often by people that wouldn't hear the difference in a blind test anyways, and can be hit or miss depending on implementation just like any surround format can.

Sony's 3D Audio can technically support more objects in a 3D space at once compared to Atmos, but if you tell me you can hear the difference between 1000 different sources of raindrops or... bees or something, and the ~110 (I think) Atmos can simulate, then you're lying... not only that but also, which game actually uses that many different sound sources that are distinctly coming from different directions? like... is ~110 not enough? do we need the ability to simulate the direction of like 1000 bees at once? I don't think so. the human ear is nowhere near that capable to actually make that shit out, especially being then simulated by what are basically stereo headphones.

that is also what people need to keep in mind here. what people call 5.1 Surround sound headphones or "3D Audio" or "Dolby Atmos" Headphones, are technically usually Stereo headphones, usually having 2 sources of sound that get directed in a way that simulates a surround sound setup, far from an actual surround sound setup like a 7.1 setup with 7 speakers around and above you + sub-woofer.

this can of course sound great, but honestly, I bet it makes a way bigger difference to buy a really good headset than the difference between normal Dolby 5.1 and "3D Audio"

so what this basically means is that the game will now support Sony's proprietary 3D audio solution instead of only Atmos which it already had on Xbox One.
Sony’s solution has been far and away better to my ears versus my Series X with Dolby for Headphones. 🤷‍♂️

Trunim

Is it true that enabling both 3d audio in ps5 system and also virtual surround in the game menu screws with the 3d audio, because there's like two 3d audio systems enabled at the same time? I got my 3d audio in PS system settings turned off and use the one in game. It's hard to understand what the correct settings are... I'm using the pulse 3d.

Arioco

Devil May Cry V SE (which uses the same engine) runs very poorly on PS5 and Series X when using RT (and the implementation is far from the best we've seen so far, those refletions leave a lot to be desired), so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Probably running the game at 4K@60 fps is a walk in the park for both machines, but if they have to lower the rez all the way down to 1080p in order to use a mediocre RT implementation... that's too high a price in my opinion.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I would like them to reinstate the original OST.
RE2REmake is miles better with the original OST.
but for some reason they didn't bother with RE3.
although it did reuse some tracks it did have some of it's own standouts
They completely cut out the l longer city routes in both games.
But the Producers of RE7 was in charge of the overseeing RE3 so..(yes I know another team worked on it but they was in charge of it)
"City of Ruin" should of been playing while exploring the the city backstreets leading up to the Raccoon Police Station.
Should of been half-hour just there

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
But the Producers of RE7 was in charge of the overseeing RE3 so..(yes I know another team worked on it but they was in charge of it)
"City of Ruin" should of been playing while exploring the the city backstreets leading up to the Raccoon Police Station.
You can beat RE3 remake before the RE3 OST of the original ends if you press play at the same time for both of them so... 👀

adamsapple

RE2make doesn't even have an OST. It's 95% ambient background noises and maybe one or two tracks at the end-game moments.

I appreciated that RE3make had a lot more of an engaging OST.

Ray Tracing on RE would nice

Yep, based on the screens we know it's got the RT reflections at least.

No more shitty SSR.

Last edited:

Banned
RE2make doesn't even have an OST. It's 95% ambient background noises and maybe one or two tracks at the end-game moments.

No more shitty SSR.

RE2 had a DLC that gives the game the original PS1 OST.

and yes, SSR HAS TO DIE! fuck SSR!

Reactions: TGO

SeraphJan

RE2 had a DLC that gives the game the original PS1 OST.

and yes, SSR HAS TO DIE! fuck SSR!
I wouldn't go that extreme, SSR if done well is pretty good, its a good way to save graphical resources. Some game really needed it.

Last edited:

Banned
I wouldn't go for that extreme, SSR if done well is pretty good, its a good way to save graphical resources. Some game really needed it.

SSR is always the worst option for reflections. it saves resources and dev time, that is why it is used and for no other reason.

Planar Reflections, render to texture, even well made cube maps, all of those are better looking solutions and all of them are funnily enough also older. SSR only ever became a thing because it made it easier to implement reflections. most engines literally have a toggle to enable them... almost no work required.

the quality of reflections went down in Forza Horizon after the 3rd game for example, and that's because that's when they switched from planar reflections for water bodies/puddles to SSR. but SSR is easier to manage, so that's why the decision was made.

SSR is like the dollar store chocolate you buy because it's cheap, and render to texture, planar and cube map reflections are the expensive boutique, highly priced supermarket and decent name brand chocolates respectively

SeraphJan

SSR is always the worst option for reflections. it saves resources and dev time, that is why it is used and for no other reason.

Planar Reflections, render to texture, even well made cube maps, all of those are better looking solutions and all of them are funnily enough also older. SSR only ever became a thing because it made it easier to implement reflections. most engines literally have a toggle to enable them... almost no work required.

the quality of reflections went down in Forza Horizon after the 3rd game for example, and that's because that's when they switched from planar reflections for water bodies/puddles to SSR. but SSR is easier to manage, so that's why the decision was made.

SSR is like the dollar store chocolate you buy because it's cheap, and render to texture, planar and cube map reflections are the expensive boutique, highly priced supermarket and decent name brand chocolates respectively
What I meant by resources is hardware, Ray tracing at the current level is still too taxing.

Check for existing threads?

we-dont-do-that-here-black-panther.gif

EDIT: not even sure why people don't check. NeoGAF even makes it easy for you so that you don't even have to search; as you type the title of your thread, "similar thread" suggestions pop up!

Last edited:

TGO

No more shitty SSR.
The original OST was available with the Deluxe Edition and available as DLC.
Sadly this wasn't the case with RE3Remake

ethomaz

Banned

I agree cube map reflections are way better than SSR but like you said require a lot of time implement.

adamsapple

The original OST was available with the Deluxe Edition and available as DLC.
Sadly this wasn't the case with RE3Remake
Oh yeah I have that too, I meant the games own native OST. It was non existent.

Banned
What I meant by resources is hardware, Ray tracing at the current level is still too taxing.

Raytracing isn't the only alternative. but sadly it seems planar reflections for example are often completely ignored by devs or dismissed because they need more work to optimise for performance.

the quality of reflections in FromSoftware games have degraded since Dark Souls 3 for example. up until DS3 from used planar reflections, instantly noticeable right at the beginning of DS3 either on the way to the optional boss or the first required boss fight, where there are bodies of water with full real time reflections. and they look great.

some devs thankfully still actually try to use these older techniques and don't fully rely on SSR.
like how the Hitman games use render to texture in select places to immensely enhance the scene. like in the tutorial level of Hitman 2 where the big windows of the house you break into have full real time reflections with really good quality too, or the first level in Hitman 3 where the windows outside the skyscraper has really good looking reflections, and inside the glass floor also uses them in a great way.
of course all of them also have working mirrors that also influence gameplay btw. as enemies can see you in reflections. (something SplinterCell also did back on the og Xbox btw. also using render to texture)

one game I'm really glad isn't using SSR is Sea of Thieves (although it uses for water inside your ship when its sinking), as if they used SSR it would have looked like complete ass.
Sea of Thieves uses planar reflections on the ocean, which aren't perfect but they work well for the kind of game it is. islands are mostly correctly reflected with decent enough detail, ships are reflected with missing detail and players/characters aren't reflected at all. but even with the drawbacks, at least it doesn't have all the visual issues SSR has, and in a game like Sea of Thieves that would have been really bad.

so yeah, long story short, not wanting SSR doesn't mean you instantly have to jump to Raytracing. Raytracing makes a lot of things easier and opens up more complex surfaces and scenes for really good real time reflections, but many reflections in games could use non-RT ways of doing reflections, they don't because it would mean more work sald.

TGO

Oh yeah I have that too, I meant the games own native OST. It was non existent.
Yeah it makes such a difference having the original OST enabled. RE3Remake should have had it included by default but they didn't even bother with the option 🥺

Top Bottom