• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 3 |OT| Shooting for the S.T.A.R.S.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Nemesis definitely should have been randomized to pop up anywhere, at any time!
There's not a lot of suitable levels and room for him to do that, especially after mutations. The only place in which he could do that is on the Racoon City streets but given how super compact they are in Remake in comparison to original maps, it's just not possible. Original maps were a lot more sprawling and there was 3 maps with a lot of locations you could visit - Uptown, Downtown and Outkirts. So ultimately and if you'll take into consideration how Remake was designed, I don't think it could've changed much if Nemesis was more like Tyrant in RE2, cuz as soons as you leave the city streets and Nemesis starts to mutate... he can't just chase you like Tyrant anymore.

But personaly, I liked what they did with him and I really enjoyed rivalry between Nemesis and Jill in this game. It's just so well done, so well-acted and believable (on emotional level and how Jill reacts to him), which I can't say about Tyrant at all in RE2. Honestly, it reminded me of Ripley and Queen Alien. The second form of Nemesis even look like Alien. Devs were clearly inspired by Alien and Aliens, cuz there's just so many references to these two movies and they even naimed a coffee shop in honor of Sigourney Weaver and gone way beyond simple posters.

Last edited:
This Nemesis seems like such a shrub compared to the original. I love how in the original game you can use the environment to blow off his arm and his head and it's still not enough to drop him, he just keeps coming after you. Even the rail cannon didn't kill him in the original game.

Soodanim

I never knew the ease of dodging in RE3 varied based on weapon. Nice video find.
I never paid much attention or learned the mechanics of dodge as a kid, but I realised it recently when I watched someone masterfully do EVERYTHING in Mercenaries as Nicholai. It was incredible. I thought he was done, then he ran back to the train to clear up everything else. He would switch to the knife and turn around to dodge. He would also switch to the Assault Rifle in manual mode as Carlos for crowd control pushbacks dodges.

Geki-D

Banned
I love how in the original game you can use the environment to blow off his arm and his head and it's still not enough to drop him, he just keeps coming after you. Even the rail cannon didn't kill him in the original game.
That was only during one fight, and it was the last before his final form.

I do miss the base parasite form getting finished off at the end, though.

wXtCxCs.jpg

Grinchy

Banned
Fixed Camera Angle concept.

It's crazy to be at a point where our real-time assets look this fucking good as "pre-rendered backgrounds."

It makes me wonder how insane the visuals could be if they they rendered assets that the system couldn't really run and did actual pre-rendered backgrounds with them like that again. It'd have to be completely photorealistic.

Soulsdark

Jill's voice acting is pretty bad tbh :messenger_grimmacing_.
I thought that something was off but after hearing her in the online part of the game her voice acting is trying way too hard. She's one of those voice actors where it's VERY obvious that it's not her natural voice and that she's trying real hard to sound tough.
It sounds like she's about to shit herself sometimes, she's just delivering a normal line but she's clenching her asshole real tight and trying to sound like a badass.

SuperGooey

Jill's voice acting is pretty bad tbh :messenger_grimmacing_.
I thought that something was off but after hearing her in the online part of the game her voice acting is trying way too hard. She's one of those voice actors where it's VERY obvious that it's not her natural voice and that she's trying real hard to sound tough.
It sounds like she's about to shit herself sometimes, she's just delivering a normal line but she's clenching her asshole real tight and trying to sound like a badass.
What are you talking about? Hahaha.

For the record, that's exactly how the voice actress sounds when she talks normally.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
They added Jill to Resistance. All the characters got a new costume that's not a reskin and Jill got an ALL new costume that's not in RE3. Unless they add it down the line this game is actually cucked.

SuperGooey

They added Jill to Resistance. All the characters got a new costume that's not a reskin and Jill got an ALL new costume that's not in RE3. Unless they add it down the line this game is actually cucked.
Just saw that on Twitter. I feel nothing but resentment towards Resistance, and Capcom giving Jill more costumes in that than in the actual RE3 remake kills any goodwill I may have had towards them.

Geki-D

Banned
Just saw that on Twitter. I feel nothing but resentment towards Resistance, and Capcom giving Jill more costumes in that than in the actual RE3 remake kills any goodwill I may have had towards them.
Most of the outfits are just recolors of her default one, though. I'm actually more surprised Jill doesn't have her classic RE3 or RE1 outfit in Resistance like she does in RE3. That said, the least they could do is patch in that retribution outfit for RE3.

Moses85

So, Finally I got the platinum trophy. (Imo this Game didn’t deserved my attention after the first playthrough, but I am a man of principles) The game was such a disappointment.

It boggles the mind that they would give Jill a costume in Resistance that isn't available in the main game. Do you have to gamble with loot boxes to unlock or wut? Because then I would understand it's about making money only.

Ok, this is just further embarassment.

Last edited:

Soodanim

It boggles the mind that they would give Jill a costume in Resistance that isn't available in the main game. Do you have to gamble with loot boxes to unlock or wut? Because then I would understand it's about making money only.

Ok, this is just further embarassment.

At least on PC you will start to see inspired texture reskins, but for console players this is a bit of a kick in the teeth.

Lokimaru

I've gone back to RE2make to see how it compares, and I had forgotten just how different it is.
Much harder, but in the traditional sense as opposed to the Ne-a spam. It's survival horror, with 3make being survival action...action horror? I did about 8 headshots on one zombie on Stndard and he was still kicking.
2 is much more faithful, more so than I remembered. Just running round the RPD made me remember what I wanted 3 to be. And while 3 is definitely fun, and I will defend that all day, it's nowhere near what OG3 was.

Mr X is actually more menacing than Nemesis. Nemesis might sprint, but there's something about Mr X's movement (and the music and sound design) that puts him on top for me. Like how he gets through a door and just starts pacing straight away, instead of having long wind down animations. In 3make, activate the first Nemesis encounter then go back through the chain link fence door. Let Nemesis follow through, then take that opportunity to run through the gap behind him. Maybe it's the lack of dodge in 2, but something is lost in 3.

Let's talk about some of the finer points. Some of this is subjective, and some of it objective.
RE2make has:
  • Unlockables directly through actions, like ∞ combat knife for 15 Mr Raccoon statues
  • Hunk and Tofu modes, with additional Tofu modes added that weren't in the original
  • About 5 costumes for each character in total (one set being a pre-order bonus or paid DLC)
  • Original soundtrack (paid DLC , but exists)
  • Free DLC with extra challenge modes to run through, with additional cosmetics to unlock within that
  • No zapping between characters, with B scenarios being pulled away from and reportedly a last minute addition
  • Removed enemy types
  • Changed final area that is largely weaker than the original
  • UI allows on the fly adjustment of item positions, a very nice user experience detail
RE3make has:
  • Unlockables of your choice via a points system, and easier/more accessible requirements
  • Completely new weapons and items to the series within that system
  • 1 extra costume set
  • No original soundtrack option
  • No new extra modes, removed Mercenaries mode
  • Extra challenge difficulties with modified enemy and item placement
  • Revamped dodge system with new Perfect Dodge ability
  • Removed entire areas, and less overlap with 2 than the originals
  • Massively changed Nemesis stages, including a recycled boss fight
  • Removed Gravedigger
  • Removed UI detail from 2
These lists aren't complete by any means, and you could probably add more points to both lists (it started as a direct comparison of replayability options and G mutated a bit), but the point is while 3 is fun, it dropped the ball on a lot of points and has more cuts and changes without adding much back to make up for it.

Well For One Thing Jill would Kick Leon's Ass what with him being a Rookie and Her being An Elite Operative. That's why Jill seems to down zombies Faster (She fought zombies before ya know). Drop each Character in the Other's Scenario and whilst I believe Jill would Breeze through RE2, Leon would Die.

Elcid

Banned
Is there anyway for me to get the preorder costumes now that the preorder window is done? Cause that's the only thing holding me from buying this game.

Doom85

Is there anyway for me to get the preorder costumes now that the preorder window is done? Cause that's the only thing holding me from buying this game.

I imagine it will eventually be added to PSN for a small price. That's what happened with RE2 Remake and its pre-order bonuses or so I heard.

Elcid

Banned
I imagine it will eventually be added to PSN for a small price. That's what happened with RE2 Remake and its pre-order bonuses or so I heard.
Been waiting for this and FF7R chocobo chick preorder. So stupid.
If you're on PC there are third party sellers where the key has the preorder bonus with it.
Good thinking, thanks!

Where can I download this mod or a completely nude one? Asking for a friend.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Last edited:
Finished my hardcore run. I really feel like it's not the action sequences themselves that are the problem for the game, but rather the pacing. The beginning section in the streets and the hospital are the only two areas that feel like RE "area" where I can explore.

Other than that it feels like I'm just being strung along boss fight to boss fight or chase sequence which gets exhausting. I definitely feel like I'm getting RE6 vibes at times.

The game really needed at least one more large exploration area like the park or clock tower. The game has potential and if it had another large section or two to explore in between a few of the bosses then I think the game would have been up there with RE2. But the games pacing is it's biggest issue.

As it stands the game is a 7/10 for me. The pacing issues are just too big for me to ignore. Which sucks because I liked the streets area at the beginning and the hospital, I just wish more of the game was like that.

Top Bottom