• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 3 |OT| Shooting for the S.T.A.R.S.

So does this not even have a raid mode?

It comes with the 100% free Resident Evil Resistance.

Watching the meta evolve, turrets, locking doors and placing traps behind doors seems to be the meta, because spawning zombies only give the attackers more time, while an almost empty map will feed them very little time. It's the most bizarre thing. Still watching guys play mastermind with a controller on PC.

Last edited:

PrCat88

Resistance is such a departure from RE3 remake. Not just gameplay wise but performance wise as well. In RE3 remake the performances were pretty straightforward, but Resistance is very hokey and over-the-top.

One would think the better alternative would be to release both games separately for $30 each, but that would require Capcom to admit they cut content out of RE3 remake and made a smaller scale sequel.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I've gone back to RE2make to see how it compares, and I had forgotten just how different it is.
Much harder, but in the traditional sense as opposed to the Ne-a spam. It's survival horror, with 3make being survival action...action horror? I did about 8 headshots on one zombie on Stndard and he was still kicking.
2 is much more faithful, more so than I remembered. Just running round the RPD made me remember what I wanted 3 to be. And while 3 is definitely fun, and I will defend that all day, it's nowhere near what OG3 was.

Mr X is actually more menacing than Nemesis. Nemesis might sprint, but there's something about Mr X's movement (and the music and sound design) that puts him on top for me. Like how he gets through a door and just starts pacing straight away, instead of having long wind down animations. In 3make, activate the first Nemesis encounter then go back through the chain link fence door. Let Nemesis follow through, then take that opportunity to run through the gap behind him. Maybe it's the lack of dodge in 2, but something is lost in 3.

Let's talk about some of the finer points. Some of this is subjective, and some of it objective.
RE2make has:
  • Unlockables directly through actions, like ∞ combat knife for 15 Mr Raccoon statues
  • Hunk and Tofu modes, with additional Tofu modes added that weren't in the original
  • About 5 costumes for each character in total (one set being a pre-order bonus or paid DLC)
  • Original soundtrack (paid DLC , but exists)
  • Free DLC with extra challenge modes to run through, with additional cosmetics to unlock within that
  • No zapping between characters, with B scenarios being pulled away from and reportedly a last minute addition
  • Removed enemy types
  • Changed final area that is largely weaker than the original
  • UI allows on the fly adjustment of item positions, a very nice user experience detail
RE3make has:
  • Unlockables of your choice via a points system, and easier/more accessible requirements
  • Completely new weapons and items to the series within that system
  • 1 extra costume set
  • No original soundtrack option
  • No new extra modes, removed Mercenaries mode
  • Extra challenge difficulties with modified enemy and item placement
  • Revamped dodge system with new Perfect Dodge ability
  • Removed entire areas, and less overlap with 2 than the originals
  • Massively changed Nemesis stages, including a recycled boss fight
  • Removed Gravedigger
  • Removed UI detail from 2
These lists aren't complete by any means, and you could probably add more points to both lists (it started as a direct comparison of replayability options and G mutated a bit), but the point is while 3 is fun, it dropped the ball on a lot of points and has more cuts and changes without adding much back to make up for it.

I hate the 2nd half of RE2. I like the new lab as short as it is. There's is really only a few rooms but it's a nicely designed loop with the back and forth with the plant monsters that can regenerate, except you can skip them on reruns because you know the puzzles already.

But for me the key difference is the level design with item layout. The thing that makes RE what it is. RE2make did it better than any before in the series. And I'll give you just one;

On 2nd run when you first open the gate at the helicopter crash, do you go up the stairs or straight into the door on your left? :pie_thinking:

Now you don't think that's a big deal if you haven't given it much thought. If you go straight in, you've chosen the harder but quicker route, and if you go upstairs, you've chosen the longer but easier route. Going upstairs brings you to a deadend but gives you the weapons locker card, and 2 lovely zombies on fire who are made to fuck you. You can use this card to pickup the power weapon for Claire/Leon the first time you pass the locker room. If you go straight into the building you have nothing but your feeble water pistol until you pass Birkin and rotate back into the station from the basement THEN get the power weapon .
-Unless you go through the process of taking the red book from the library to the room you get the weapons locker card in, then all the way back to the STARS office to get the other power weapon, and at which point you're going to have the security locker card while being a floor above the locker room anyway. Needless legwork.
-Or you take the time of going for the card from the locked door across the hall, and then going to the locker room which you made needless legwork once again

And that's why it's the greatest. One simple fucking choice making so many routing options. RE3 can't have these, because it's phoned in and linear. It takes time to design good content.

DygutmMXQAMn8rl.jpg

Last edited:
So if you haven't been watching Resident Evil 3 speedruns I'm going to be happy to tell you how awful it is and why the mess makes it's so good to watch. Not sure if it has been mentioned already around here but difficulty adjustment is in the game, like it was in RE2make. Except in Remake it only affected Standard while Hardcore was maxed regardless.

Take what I say with a pinch of salt or correct if necessary.

Difficulty adjustment makes the game more difficult if you're doing GOOD, and easier if you're doing bad

-DA operates in bands. On Inferno difficulty these bands range from Rank 11 to Rank 19.
-The bands change at each 1000 value between 11k and 19k

GOOD
  • Killing an enemy +300
  • Exploding a barrel +50/150?
  • Perfect evading (slow motion) an enemy +100
  • Damaging a boss +Lots over whole fight
BAD
  • Taking damage -600 per hit? (might change per damage value taken, e.g. Nemesis does more than standard zombie)
  • Dying -1000
So what are the effects of the DA value;
  • Killing zombies is bad
  • Not getting hit is bad
  • It's more beneficial to use the dodge mechanic while trying not to activate the slow mo perfect dodge
  • Enemies take less damage (bullets at rank 19 do approx. 60% damage that a bullet at rank 11 does)
  • Sections of the game become a resource check because the game now requires more to pass it/fights go on longer thus more risk of death
  • You now need to pick up more resources while attempting to be faster
  • You need to take damage on purpose to reduce the value
  • It might be more beneficial to take a death on purpose
This coupled with lots of, I don't know what to call them, design oversights? Nemesis running speed, attack speeds, stunlock deaths, zombies doing a 2nd lunge after you perfect dodge the first. I could go on.

None of us are pro speedrunners but I think most people who enjoy these games like to test the limits of the game while beating it as quick as possible and this mechanic will be invisibly annoying us without us realizing.

It's fun to watch how fucked up it as and how they're trying to work around this problem.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Finished it yesterday and immediately started my 2nd run. It‘s been a while since a game made me do that.

Loved that shit out it. not only do I not care about the short length, I actually welcome it. It could have bren an hour or two longer but that‘s it. I‘m sick of this overly cluttered crap. Finally a game again that I can finish in a day or two. Unlike longer game I‘ll certainly replay this game a couple more times so at the end of the day I‘ll get more bang for the buck here.

Hope Capcom continues like this and is therefore able to deliver a new RE every year.

slade

Finished the game yesterday in time to play FFVII. This Remake isn't too bad but I haven't re-played RE3 since mid 2000. I have no basis to compare them but taken on its own, this Remake is fine. It's on the short side and has a breakneck pace so wait until it's 15 dollars.

Geki-D

Banned
This coupled with lots of, I don't know what to call them, design oversights? Nemesis running speed, attack speeds, stunlock deaths, zombies doing a 2nd lunge after you perfect dodge the first. I could go on.
Started today, played up to the sewers so not too far, but I've already noticed all of this. When Nemy leg whipped me, then went on to stunlock punch me till I was dead, I wasn't very happy.

Distortion just got the fastest Inferno time. 57 minutes something.

Made a few mistakes. I could see eventual times of sub 55, but not lower than 50 without something big discovered. Real fun watching it live.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow at this underground facility with Jill part... They seriously spawn a monster that has a one-hit kill move behind you while simultaneously spawning a bunch of zombies in front of you. I'd be fine if it was immediately after the save point, but it's few minutes into the part. Fucking lame.

Just finished the normal campaign and unlocked the shop. I have $7260 points, anyone have any recommendations on which items to buy first for subsequent playthroughs? I don't plan on farming points yet, just want to start a Hardcore run with something cool/helpful.

Pansy

Ugh why is Nemesis scripted in this remake? It makes him much less intimidating and freaky. This feels more like an on-rails game than the exploratory nature of the original.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Just finished the normal campaign and unlocked the shop. I have $7260 points, anyone have any recommendations on which items to buy first for subsequent playthroughs? I don't plan on farming points yet, just want to start a Hardcore run with something cool/helpful.
If you just want a bit of help, either take the Samurai Edge for a decent pistol with a high critical rate or a passive item like the recovery/defence coin and/or STARS book to help with perfect dodges.

Wow at this underground facility with Jill part... They seriously spawn a monster that has a one-hit kill move behind you while simultaneously spawning a bunch of zombies in front of you. I'd be fine if it was immediately after the save point, but it's few minutes into the part. Fucking lame.
That’s two separate trigger events that while purposely designed like that aren’t anywhere near each other. It’s your own fault, don’t hate it. Laugh and learn. It’s 2 minutes from the save point and continues cut that down even more.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That’s two separate trigger events that while purposely designed like that aren’t anywhere near each other. It’s your own fault, don’t hate it. Laugh and learn. It’s 2 minutes from the save point and continues cut that down even more.

Yeah, I took a break and went back to it and realized it was two trigger events, but it was just bullshit to be suddenly eaten from behind after grenading some zombies.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Yeah, I took a break and went back to it and realized it was two trigger events, but it was just bullshit to be suddenly eaten from behind after grenading some zombies.
That area has some interesting changes on higher difficulties. Even if you never want to play them (which I wouldn’t have done without the cheat items) it’s worth watching a video of them.

Last edited:

SuperGooey

I haven't played RE3R in a few days, and I honestly don't feel any desire to.

I'll admit, some buyer's remorse has set in since there are no extras to speak of, and the main campaign is half sloppy, and the second half, while better, still feels unfinished and offers the worst boss battles in the series. I've been disappointed in RE games before, but this is the first time I've felt ripped off.

It's been said a million times, but this game needed more to it. I think, at its core, there are ingredients of a fantastic game--snappy gameplay, great atmosphere and art direction, and possibly my favorite characters in the series. It compliments RE2R well enough, but doesn't feel complete on its own. Hell, RE2R didn't feel complete with the botched 2nd Runs, but RE3R takes this to a new level. If anything, I'm more worried about RE's future than I ever was before. Hopefully, RE8 feels more like a complete package to restore my faith in Capcom, but their handling of these remakes has been full of baffling decisions that deserve more criticism than they have received.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I put 30 hours in. I'm done with it. I may go back once or twice, don't regret buying or playing it. It could have been better, but it is what it is. Yearly releases are gonna fuck this series over heavy btw.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished my first play through. Play time was 6.5 hours.

I mostly really enjoyed the whole thing, but I can't say I much liked the scripted Nemesis fights. I never knew if I was doing damage or wasting my ammo and it was just kind of frustrating and unfulfilling.

Doom85

If you're not farming points but already want to give Hardcore a whirl, I recommend buying one Offense coin. The Infinite Handgun might be handy (can't remember how much it cost) but Offense coin will be better later in a Hardcore run once you start using the shotgun and grenade launcher more often.

After that, I mean you do you, but I can't imagine tackling Nightmare and especially Inferno without the Infinite Rocket Launcher and two Defense and two Recovery coins (the Dodge manual is great too), I know some probably can but I love RE and am good at it but am not THAT good at RE (feel like I could say that about a lot of Capcom series: Mega Man, Street Fighter, Devil May Cry, etc). Farming didn't even take long. For grenade launcher and shotgun, I did those two group of three zombies each that appear shortly before the 1st proper Nemesis boss fight. For assault rifle, I did Carlos' final hospital section with the swarm of enemies. And for magnum, I did after getting the flash drive in the lab and opening that room where one zombie and four pale heads are. After that, I could afford the Rocket Launcher, two Defense, two Recovery, and Dodge Manual with a little left over. Took less than two hours it seemed in terms of the farming sections, and I jammed to Spotify while doing it since I knew where all the enemies would be or spawn, wasn't boring at all.

Doom85

I put 30 hours in. I'm done with it. I may go back once or twice, don't regret buying or playing it. It could have been better, but it is what it is. Yearly releases are gonna fuck this series over heavy btw.

It's just two games a year apart made by separate teams, not sure why it's an issue (and all the 8 rumors seem sketchy to me). The original 2, 3, and CV were all one year apart. Christ, REmake and 0 came out in the same year. This isn't anything new for the series.

SuperGooey

Yeah...

Capcom's very strict deadlines and refusal to delay RE games could be very bad, but RE2R and RE3R still turned out pretty good regardless. With that said, RE3R seems like a "filler game" to hold over until RE8, but it didn't have to be. No one was expected a RE3R so soon, so it could have been held back an extra 9 months to flesh out the city and Nemesis a bit more, as well as include Mercenaries. That alone would have made it a contender for best RE game, imo.

Seeing as M-Two has already moved on to another Capcom remake without finishing their last one... that's disheartening. RE3R has a disposable feeling to it, and that kills any hype I have for another M-Two remake. I'll be pretty upset if the title they are currently working on turns out to be RE4. My reaction will be "finish RE3 first!" In addition to that, my only other thoughts will be imagining all the things they'll cut from RE4 in order to make a deadline.

Roni

Gold Member

Maybe get the STARTS CQC book for easier dodging.

dan76

Just finished Nightmare and I think it was a mistake to buy any shop items for this run. With two attack coins all zombies down with one shot to the head and a stab, it made the run too easy. I guess the shop is there for speedrunners? I don't know, might try another go at it without coins as it's basically assisted mode apart from the end boss. Extra hip pouches and the ammo tool would be ok I suppose.

I think Nightmare might be the best difficulty in terms on enemy placement and the few extra differences found in the game - a bit disappointed there wasn't more changed. I'm done for a while now.

Ugh why is Nemesis scripted in this remake? It makes him much less intimidating and freaky. This feels more like an on-rails game than the exploratory nature of the original.

I agree! I enjoyed the game, but Capcom REALLY catered to the people who complained about RE2R and called Tyrant (Mr. X) a pain.

Nemesis definitely should have been randomized to pop up anywhere, at any time!

Great game. I have beaten it 4 times now and almost completed all the challenges. Can anyone tell me why they didn't but binarial sound or Atmos in this ReMake. RE2 had it.

J3nga

Great game. I have beaten it 4 times now and almost completed all the challenges. Can anyone tell me why they didn't but binarial sound or Atmos in this ReMake. RE2 had it.
Locations are open this time for the most part and not as multilevel(except for RCPD) and it's more action oriented with just some of horror elements which I guess wouldn't have same effect it had in 2, that was horror for the most part of the game, only towards the very end got some action.

Last edited:
Locations are open this time for the most part and not as multilevel(except for RCPD) and it's more action oriented with just some of horror elements which I guess wouldn't have same effect it had in 2, that was horror for the most part of the game, only towards the very end got some action.

Makes sense, I guess. The first time playing in the hospital would have been great with Atmos. That part was creepy. Great little hospital set piece they had there.

Geki-D

Banned
but Capcom REALLY catered to the people who complained about RE2R and called Tyrant (Mr. X) a pain.
I don't think that's the case. It's simply that in this game there isn't a big area you constantly return to where Nemy could actually freely walk around in. The game is linear, so so are Nemy's spawns.

Ok, so I played a few rounds of Resistance. This game is broken as fuck. I've has the mastermind spam zombies in the shop room, and others where they spam bombs behind doors that blow us up instantly and finish us of with turrets. Also spawning 2 armour zombies as the very first enemies and controlling one of them to instant kill the whole team.

Last edited:
I don't think that's the case. It's simply that in this game there isn't a big area you constantly return to where Nemy could actually freely walk around in. The game is linear, so so are Nemy's spawns.

Ok, so I played a few rounds of Resistance. This game is broken as fuck. I've has the mastermind spam zombies in the shop room, and others where they spam bombs behind doors that blow us up instantly and finish us of with turrets. Also spawning 2 armour zombies as the very first enemies and controlling one of them to instant kill the whole team.

I can see your point when you put it that way. 😂 There really wasn't a wide variety of places for him to come from randomly all the time.

Pansy

I agree! I enjoyed the game, but Capcom REALLY catered to the people who complained about RE2R and called Tyrant (Mr. X) a pain.

Nemesis definitely should have been randomized to pop up anywhere, at any time!
Honestly I wasn't too surprised when I saw that he was scripted. The RE3 remake was announced less than a year before it was released, and honestly if we were expecting a faithful adaptation of the original it probably would have taken the double the amount of time to make than it did for this.

Alright, you people seem like resident evil people. Is re2 remake all that good? I want to give this one a shot but would rather play them in order. I played these games way back on PS1 so it sounds kinda cool to experience it all fancied up.

Has the gameplay or controls been updated?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, you people seem like resident evil people. Is re2 remake all that good? I want to give this one a shot but would rather play them in order. I played these games way back on PS1 so it sounds kinda cool to experience it all fancied up.

Dude, yes, play RE2. It was an incredible game back in the day on PS1 and the remake is even better in my mind. It's really expertly done. I'd recommend RE3 a bit less, but it's also quite good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Geki-D

Banned
The RE3 remake was announced less than a year before it was released, and honestly if we were expecting a faithful adaptation of the original it probably would have taken the double the amount of time to make than it did for this.
...But it is faithful. I don't get where people are getting this idea that in the original Nemesis could randomly spawn anywhere. His appearances were scripted in classic RE3 too. You'd enter an area, find the key items to progress to the next area and on your way to cash in the the key items you'd have the Nemy chase part. It was pretty clearly formulaic.

Massively. No more fixed camera. RE2 remake is worth a play, I'd say it's one of the best games last year. The only real loss compared to the original is the lack of a real B scenario. Otherwise it's got a lot of content make up for it.

Last edited:

J3nga

This game just got 10x better:

Like how? Clearly looks like it does not belong, huge mismatch between face color and the rest of the body. New Jill looks real good, game's problems aren't related to Jill's model. Whole Julia Voth cult thing is ridiculous.

Last edited:
NuJill model is still okay with me though.
She does look better in motion than on screenshots. But also like a completely different person. To me her REmake face is so iconic that I'm glad on PC we now have it in REmake, R3make, RE5 and Revelations (also modded).

Last edited:

SuperGooey

Capcom is asking for feedback on RE3R.

Now's your chance to tell them if you were displeased with the lack of options, cut content, etc.

Went straight in on hardcore. Beaten it once. Don't really have any urge to play it again to be honest. It's not a bad game...but it's a shit remake. I loved the way they mixed the classic tracks into the BGM...and the fact that unlike RE2make it actually had BGM. Unfortunately it's really RE3 in name only. RE2make was very faithful to the environmental design and progression of the original (atleast until the lab redesign)...and this just isn't. I disliked the exclusion of ink ribbons...and disliked the inclusion of checkpoints...fucking checkpoints...even more.

Went straight in on hardcore. Beaten it once. Don't really have any urge to play it again to be honest. It's not a bad game...but it's a shit remake. I loved the way they mixed the classic tracks into the BGM...and the fact that unlike RE2make it actually had BGM. Unfortunately it's really RE3 in name only. RE2make was very faithful to the environmental design and progression of the original (atleast until the lab redesign)...and this just isn't. I disliked the exclusion of ink ribbons...and disliked the inclusion of checkpoints...fucking checkpoints...even more.

This is why I was so happy I got the deluxe edition with the OG RE2 OST, that soundtrack aged like wine and fitted it perfectly. I prefer the old school menu SFX to.

Lokimaru

Cool how the Hospital has the Zapping System. What shared ammo and Health you don't pick up as Carlos you can pick up as Jill.

The electrical sub station section where you gotta flip the 4 breakers is actually pretty intense on hardcore for a 1st playthrough.

Top Bottom