• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 3 |OT| Shooting for the S.T.A.R.S.

Should have been $30 not $60
I paid around 20 dollars in my country due to regional pricing. I would be disappointed if i had paid 60. It's a good game. But it's too short.
I think nemesis was a let down. Mr X was much more menacing.

I enjoyed the game but it could have been way better.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
What?

Good game design is precisely the type of game that stands the test of replayability.
I don't agree. I don't think devs should just assume people are gonna replay their game. I haven't replayed a game in 15 years. I see a lot of games and developers do this and when I see quotes from creators it's always like "...when you're on your second playthrough...." and I'm like why the hell are you assuming people are gonna replay your game? Get over yourself. I mean, if you specifically designed it in a structure that is based on scenarios or whatever that can't feasibly be done in one run, then that's one thing, but to design a game just expecting people to replay it is really lame. If a game isn't specifically designed to have multiple playthroughs and story lines within the structure, no games should have missables in the year 2020 within reason. At the very least they should give you a damn warning when you pass a point of no return. That in itself is lazy game design. Plenty of games give you that "you sure you wanna go there, once you do there's no going back *hint hint*"

Last edited:

SuperGooey

I don't agree. I don't think devs should just assume people are gonna replay their game. I haven't replayed a game in 15 years. I see a lot of games and developers do this and when I see quotes from creators it's always like "...when you're on your second playthrough...." and I'm like why the hell are you assuming people are gonna replay your game? Get over yourself. I mean, if you specifically designed it in a structure that is based on scenarios or whatever that can't feasibly be done in one run, then that's one thing, but to design a game just expecting people to replay it is really lame. If a game isn't specifically designed to have multiple playthroughs and story lines within the structure, no games should have missables in the year 2020 within reason. At the very least they should give you a damn warning when you pass a point of no return. That in itself is lazy game design. Plenty of games give you that "you sure you wanna go there, once you do there's no going back *hint hint*"
Do yourself a favor, and don't play survival horror games.

IKSTUGA

Platinum'd. Great game, but needs more content. Would be amazing if they added a mini mercenaries mode or something as dlc. Resistance sucks ass.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
I don't agree. I don't think devs should just assume people are gonna replay their game. I haven't replayed a game in 15 years.

Playing games is an interactive experience, not a passive one. And your interaction with the game requires practice... Once you practice, the designers can throw more interesting scenarios your way because you're more comfortable with the controls and the game's core mechanics.

That's when the fun really starts for people who enjoy gameplay. I'm afraid you're consuming games as if they're movies/books... Just playing to see what comes next in terms of narrative. Games are more than that, they're about the experience provided by the game's mechanics. Not just the plot the characters on the screen are going through.

Just because RE3 didn't feature a whole lot of environments doesn't mean the environments you've already been through can't offer you anything new with different item placements, new enemies, more enemies, more aggressive enemies, less ammo, different objectives, etc, etc...

Last edited:

Neff

Things I liked

+ The graphics. This is probably the best-looking RE game.
+ Carlos. How the fuck they managed to take one of the most annoying and underwhelming characters in the franchise and turn him into this super-cool badass mercbro, I don't know. But they did, and he's great. Great character model, great performance.
+ The city. It's impressively alive with an unprecedented amount of detail. For that reason I can understand (and forgive) why it feels so small compared to the original. Very fun to explore while it lasts.
+ Nemesis looks better than ever. His design, his mechanics, his sudden appearances- it all works and works well, which is miraculous given the OTS perspective.
+ Perfect dodge never gets old.
+ The significantly expanded hospital is a welcome surprise.
+ The finale was satisfyingly cathartic, as expected.
+ NEST 2 is a much better replacement for the Dead Factory.
+ Music! As in, it actually had some, compared to RE2make. And it uses it well.

Things I didn't like so much

- No ink ribbons, even on hardcore. I can understand why they did it, avoiding Nemesis takes some getting used to in the new perspective, and having to replay sections numerous times due to inexplicably confusing deaths might have seemed harsh. But it seems wrong playing a game of this kind without them.
- There's no alternate item placements or scene choices, or at least none I saw, which is a shame.
- No park or Clock Tower is unforgivable (and they're right there on the fucking train route!). They were two of the best areas in the original and a welcome gear change (no pun intended in either case). Squandering the serene quiet of the original's park is a particularly wasted opportunity.
- Lack of puzzles. The original had some really good puzzles. There's a few simple environmental puzzles in the remake, but that's about it.
- Dog Nemesis is a bit silly.
- I don't mind the relative shortness compared to modern RE games, but some more content would have been welcome.

Apart from that, great game. Feels somehow more authentic than RE2make did, despite it trying more new things.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I think designing a game around replayability is beyond most games in modern times.
RE2 was infinitely more replayable than RE3 and RE2 allowed you to backtrack and pickup almost any item in the game you missed, even when you advanced to other areas you were able to backtrack to the HQ and get them.

It's not mutually exclusive. If you want people to replay your games, give them incentive to do so. And I don't even think missable items was incentive here. I just think it was shoddily and hastily put together in development and it was an oversight. Using "replayability" as an answer if someone questioned them on it would just be an excuse for it.

Last edited:

SuperGooey

RE2 was infinitely more replayable than RE3 and RE2 allowed you to backtrack and pickup almost any item in the game you missed, even when you advanced to other areas you were able to backtrack to the HQ and get them.

It's not mutually exclusive. If you want people to replay your games, give them incentive to do so. And I don't even think missable items was incentive here. I just think it was shoddily and hastily put together in development and it was an oversight. Using "replayability" as an answer if someone questioned them on it would just be an excuse for it.
I suppose you have a point. With RE3R being more set piece-y and linear, exploration isn't as encouraged. However, there are a couple safe-guards: the shotgun and grenade launcher will respawn in the save room before the clock tower Nemesis fight, as well as in the save room in NEST 2 incase you missed them.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I suppose you have a point. With RE3R being more set piece-y and linear, exploration isn't as encouraged. However, there are a couple safe-guards: the shotgun and grenade launcher will respawn in the save room before the clock tower Nemesis fight, as well as in the save room in NEST 2 incase you missed them.
I don't even think it was that big of a deal, but as a completionist it annoyed me. Having one thing I missed in the entire game, one hip pouch was all I missed. And it turns out once you enter the sewers that is the point of no return for the beginning area of the game, not once you emerge from the sewers, because once you enter the sewers you can't backtrack out of them and once you leave you can't reach the other parts of Racoon City anymore, they're all blocked off. All they really had to do was have Jill mumble to herself before you enter the sewers "once go in here, I'm probably not gonna be able to make me way back..." and then a prompt come up that asks are you sure you want to enter the sewers and I'd have done a once-around and make sure I didn't miss anything.

You just kinda innocuously enter it with no idea you'll never be able to get back to those previous parts, even though you go back out to street level again.

It's a pet peeve of mine with games. Most games are pretty good with it, but some games you'll be playing them and going through a corridor-rich environment and one of the corridors triggers a cutscene that forces you to leave the area and you get no warning which one will do that, so you basically have to pick at random and hope you pick the right one, or you lose your chance to explore the whole area. Thankfully, it's kinda rare these days.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

Thats good level design not better replayability. While the replay value might increase with a nice level design it's not exclusive to one another as a lot of games like say ME2 that are super linear do not have that great of a level design and yet you can replay it a lot due to story and rpg mechanics. In RE2R case to me, its level design did nothing to increase its replay value. I hated doing the 2nd run. It was boring and it was same'ish except the story moments. But compared to RE3R the second game is far superior in how the map was created and how great each level is interconnected, kinda like a metroidvania. And the fact that the demo for RE3R is a lesser version of an map that you can explore was scummy as hell so fuck Capcom for that.

Soodanim

Gold Member
And the fact that the demo for RE3R is a lesser version of an map that you can explore was scummy as hell so fuck Capcom for that.
Fact. It hyped me up for a lot of exploring, I couldn't wait to do the remake's version of the things from the original. I saw the gas station in the demo and looked forward to going there. Turns out the hose wasn't shifted forward in the story though, they just loved cutting parts out. I should have known how much was cut when the safe puzzle in the demo used up the medicine puzzle.

It's pretty obvious that while we all enjoyed the game (except hip pouch salt), we wanted RE2 in Raccoon City. Instead we got the bits of 2 that didn't make it into the remake as Nemesis, and they cut his best forms for it. Maybe they'll give us that when they remake Code Veronica.

J3nga

This should've been Resident Evil Revelations 3 for 30$. Sort of alternative look at the original 3. It sucks ass as a Resident Evil title, finished it already 3 times and it so damn linear and scripted with so much potential for a stellar Resident Evil game. I mean last years remake was one hell of a remake, a step forward, this is 2 steps backward. I think fans will play this for a while and will go back to play original and wait another 20 years for a proper remake.

The new game Inferno speedruns are fun to watch just because there's so many sections just made to fuck you up, and the DA-STRATS. I don't remember RE2 having this on Hardcore (I know there was a value tracked for standard), where the game is modified based on how much damage you've taken. Think it changes ammo drops for sections, where a high DA (avoiding damage) can make the hospital section almost impossible. Might effect damage required to kill enemies, don't know the full story yet, no resources I can find describing it.

Overall not pleased of course. I knew the game would be a problem with the cinematric intro that has 5 minutes of nothing at least every speedrun. RE2make 2nd run was effectively a Nightmare mode with more enemies, but most importantly the game starts after around 30 seconds when the helicopter crashes, which makes it the most replayable run.

Last edited:

dan76

I think this game is more replayable than 2. You had two campaigns in 2 but the were virtually identical. In this playing on Nightmare mode makes it seem like a different game. New enemy placment changes the way you play the whole thing (though I've just started but that's what it seems like so far).

Also, there isn't any area in 3 that I don't like, where as in 2 I didn't like the sewers, the new enemy in there was just a blobby mess, and the sewers and lab were identical regardless of who you played. I'd say the RPD in 2 is the best part of these two remakes, but 3 is more consistent.

If this had of been dlc peeps would be screaming that it deserved its own game. But, yeah, I wish it was longer.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
- No ink ribbons, even on hardcore. I can understand why they did it, avoiding Nemesis takes some getting used to in the new perspective, and having to replay sections numerous times due to inexplicably confusing deaths might have seemed harsh. But it seems wrong playing a game of this kind without them.
One of the few things that disappointed me as well... The only other thing was Carlos' emergency move. Wish he had a dodge as well, no need for the counterattack.

- There's no alternate item placements or scene choices, or at least none I saw, which is a shame.
It's there, in higher difficulties.

- No park or Clock Tower is unforgivable (and they're right there on the fucking train route!). They were two of the best areas in the original and a welcome gear change (no pun intended in either case). Squandering the serene quiet of the original's park is a particularly wasted opportunity.

We technically fight Nemesis for the second time underneath the Clock Tower. So it's there, we just don't enter it, which is fine by me. I like modern scenarios a lot more than classic architetural designs in RE environments.

Last edited:
Went to the nexus looking for a classic skin mod with an actual skirt. Ended up downloading a nude mod just for.. ahem.. curiosity.
It looks so dumb watching Jill running around butt naked wearing only high heels.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
And done,
7 hours 4 Minutes
And that was fantastic.
I know stuff was missing but it was still fantastic.
Also
is this game hinting we're actually gonna get a continuation of the story that RE4 Nuked from orbit?
That would be cool even if 4,5,6,7 are wiped right out of cannon

Grinchy

Banned
Just finished it myself, 8 hours. Playing on Hardcore was probably the right choice. I think I killed every enemy in the game and only ever ran out of ammo after a big Nemesis fight.

One complaint is that sometimes it felt like I had to hit square 6 times before the game would actually reload. And the timing on the dodges was...well, dodgy. But I already want to go in and get a bunch of points to spend in the store on some of these cool items.

SuperGooey

One complaint is that sometimes it felt like I had to hit square 6 times before the game would actually reload. And the timing on the dodges was...well, dodgy. But I already want to go in and get a bunch of points to spend in the store on some of these cool items.
I noticed this too, especially with the grenade launcher.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
fuW5YZo.jpg

I really need to get a gaming pc.

Found the sailor outfit the Korean streamer had. Paid mods 🤡

Some are good though, but seems its linked with that guy in the RE2 scene causing drama with his paid mods there. He promotes them on the standard mod sites by uploading pictures to bait you.
0_d0a48c6396.jpg

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I got the Plat but cheesed it since the game doesn't punish you for it. 🤷‍♂️

Final boss on Inferno you HAVE to learn to dodge his attacks or you're just fucked was frustrating at first but since I saved right before the fight I was good to just learn.

I was scrolling through my ps4 library and realized that I own RE6, yet have never played it. Probably picked it up for 10 bucks during a sale and never even installed it.
It seems to have a pretty negative reputation, but I'm gonna try it out today.

Played through Leon's campaign and most of Chris's before I had to put it down, i was kinda shocked at how bad it was. I could see where there could be some fun there with a buddy in co-op, where you could MST3K the shit outta this game. The 3ds games were better than this, amazing it didn't kill the franchise and Capcom was able to turn it around.

Geki-D

Banned
amazing it didn't kill the franchise and Capcom was able to turn it around.
RE6 actually sold really well, in fact it's Capcom's third best selling game after Monster Hunter & RE5. What's amazing is that Capcom went back to slowed down survival horror with RE7 rather than making more assured bank off the RE5/6 formula. You can fault Capcom for many things, but with RE7 they actually listened to franchise fans rather that the sound of their cash register.

RE6 actually sold really well, in fact it's Capcom's third best selling game after Monster Hunter & RE5. What's amazing is that Capcom went back to slowed down survival horror with RE7 rather than making more assured bank off the RE5/6 formula. You can fault Capcom for many things, but with RE7 they actually listened to franchise fans rather that the sound of their cash register.
Actually, that's not entirely true.
"While we have shareholders to appease, it's not just about commercial performance," explains Turner. "There is an artistic element that always comes in where we know this is the right way. And while if we compare RE7 to RE6 the absolute numbers are not the same, in terms of the profitability... it's completely fine.
The thing about RE6 is while its sales look good on paper, both the budget and marketing budget for that game was insane. Of course they did acknowledge they do want both the praise along with the monies.

Caffeine

thought the game was just alright, the original is way better. I havent even downloaded resistance heard it takes 20mins+ to even find a match sounds dead on arrival on pc as expected. they should have just slapped together a mercenaries tbh

ive replayed 2 about 5 times now. I dont even feel like I want to replay 3. I feel like i hit every nook and cranny in my first playthrough.

my biggest gripe is a step back in damage the zombies dont have the versatility of damage done to them or reaction like in 2. This was actually a big feature in 2 for me. they just kinda flinch now and carry on, the limbs just vanish when shot off lol.

Last edited:

vpance

I believe Capcom hit record profits in some quarters last fiscal year. So this reboot/remake run has been very successful for them.

From a production standpoint it was easy to see this was going to work out with the drastically reduced dev and marketing budgets combined with remake hype.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I caved and bought this garbage. I don't know what I expected after the 2 demake.
Smh disappointed in you. You're way more brutal than me about these games. It's not what you want but it's not complete garbage, it's just mediocre. There's some quality in the things you don't value the series for. I'm still thinking this game is a 6/10 and RE2 remake is a 7 along with the original. I'd rate original RE3 an 8.5

Grinchy

Banned
I just learned about the "DA" in this game (difficulty adjustment). Supposedly, the better you play, the harder the game makes itself (regardless of difficulty you chose). Perfect dodges, picking up items, killing enemies, ect, all raise your DA level so that you do less damage (as much as 40%!)

This is the only explanation I can think of for why my Clock Tower nemesis fight was so broken at one point. I was hitting him with every piece of ammo on the map, knocking him off the wall with mines 8+ times, perfectly dodging every attack, ect, and he just wouldn't die.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
I just learned about the "DA" in this game (difficulty adjustment). Supposedly, the better you play, the harder the game makes itself (regardless of difficulty you chose). Perfect dodges, picking up items, killing enemies, ect, all raise your DA level so that you do less damage (as much as 40%!)

This is the only explanation I can think of for why my Clock Tower nemesis fight was so broken at one point. I was hitting him with every piece of ammo on the map, knocking him off the wall with mines 8+ times, perfectly dodging every attack, ect, and he just wouldn't die.

You need to take him down using mines as he's running around... Once he's down, the NE-Alpha parasite exposes itself. Hit that for damage...

If you don't do that, he takes massive amounts of punishment.

Grinchy

Banned
You need to take him down using mines as he's running around... Once he's down, the NE-Alpha parasite exposes itself. Hit that for damage...

If you don't do that, he takes massive amounts of punishment.
Lol yeah I know, like I said, I was doing that 8+ times in a fight and unloading everything into his red rocket dick and he wouldn't die. I think I was at the 40% damage reduction.

Roni

Gold Member
Lol yeah I know, like I said, I was doing that 8+ times in a fight and unloading everything into his red rocket dick and he wouldn't die. I think I was at the 40% damage reduction.

Probably, then. I managed to kill him on Hardcore without aiming at the parasite with ammo to spare in the square. Good job, mate!

SuperGooey

The RE Twitter keeps trying to hype up Resistance, trying to do a Smash Bros reveal type thing where a new playable character will be revealed or something. It fucking annoys me that they are invest time with that shit, but have no plans to add content to RE3. This makes RE3 feel completely disposable to what is the most unwanted RE spin off ever.

Anyway, I think Chris Redfield will be a playable character is Resistance, and, as I pointed out in the leak thread, I think we already saw his model in the beginning of RE3R.

a36xMPZ.png

Top Bottom