• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 3 is getting multiple updates at Steam, what could they be?

Draugoth

Gold Member
cc46e6c0-f98f-460a-bee6-3c1bfa09f7ff.jpg

Over the past 2 months Resident Evil 3 at Steam Database tracked attention due to multiple encrypted depots the game has received:

This has sparked rumors of an expanded edition, like Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition, or Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen for the game.

DNHIMub.png

It's 15 depots in total of unknown sizes, with branches labebed as qa_dev, ex_dev and nv_dev. The game still gets updated regularly for unknow reasons, while VIILAGE, RE7 and RE2 are mostly untouched.

What ex_dev and nv-dev mean are unknown. But qa dev means Quality Assurance. So for example, depots labebed as 'qa_jd_dev_01' means "quality assurance_japanese depot_ developer_01"

What other depots could be?:
  • nv_dev could mean either New Version Development/New Version Launch or Nvidia Launch.
  • The first qa_tu1_dev problably means Quality Assurance_Title Update 1_development
Did Resident Evil 2 also got new depots?
  • Yes, Resident Evil 2 Remake got four new depots, the first one being last month (qa_dev and nv_dev). Two of them are for Quality Assurance.

What it can not be:
  • A DLSS/RT update - Resident Evil 2 did not receive as many updates as RE3 did. It begs the question, why would RE3 get a technology upgrade but not RE2?
  • A Steam Deck update - Resident Evil 2 did not receive as many updates as RE3 did.
  • An update linking to purchase RE VIIlage or Watch the New Movie - Resident Evil 2 received the update to purchase RE3 at it's main menu before Resident Evil 3's launch. If it was something to add a link to the VIILAGE/Welcome to raccoon City purchase page, it would have been done by now.
  • Bug fixing - The game did not receive substantial patches for hotfixing after release, neither Resident Evil 2 did.

Didn't Resident Evil 2 Remake also got new depots?
What it could be:
  • File branching replacement, for compatibility.
  • A New Game Version.
What are the rumors?
  • Rumors suggest that an updated version is in the works called either Resident Evil 3: Nemesis Edition or Resident Evil 3: N3MESIS. None of these rumors have been backed so far.

What do you think these updates are?

Last edited:
Honestly, I hate when old games get updated for stupid shit. It fucks with mods, and especially in the case of RE2, it breaks the hex edits for killing the forced ugly vignette and sharpening filters, as well as the pointless half fps monster animation rate when they're beyond a certain distance from you. Seriously I don't even know why these developers bother with that one, I benchmarked the change before and after and saw margin of error level discrepancies. Such a stupid thing to force on PC players with no native way to disable it. A new patch would just mean having to dig through the executable again looking for these lines to kill these problematic functions again. Just leave it be. We all know these updates won't dramatically improve the games in the ways they're sorely lacking, eg: reinstating cut content, actually making A/B scenarios meaningful, fixing the ugly soulless graphics etc.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Don‘t do this to me…

I understand how some people would be pissed about an Extended Version of the game at this point but I just want it to happen (and Capcom to have success with it and the being an EE of RE2 with a real B scenario as well… come at me).

Draugoth

Gold Member
Don‘t do this to me…

I understand how some people would be pissed about an Extended Version of the game at this point but I just want it to happen (and Capcom to have success with it and the being an EE of RE2 with a real B scenario as well… come at me).

Every comment i've seen is of people that would be completely down for it (me included)

Saber

Gold Member
Zzzzz

Why make such a deal is beyond me. Maybe is the new fashion looking over steam files and rumors.

fart town usa

Gold Member
People will hate me for it but I'd totally pay money for an expansion to RE3.

edit,

great thread OP, even if it's nothing, thanks for compiling the info for us all.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

Of all these stupid rumours that are coming true, that fucking guy with the Psyduck avatar on Twitter still hasn't pulled through on the promise of a Bloodborne remaster / remake.

OrionNebula

I do not set high expectations on this. I refuse to believe this’ll end up adding whole chuncks of missing scenarios like the Clock Tower, or a longer version of the labs that would include the Dead Factory or something like that into the game itself

To me, at best, we’ll get some weird dlc with side ‘’characters’’, like those in REmake 2. At best

Banned
wy should it not be RT and DLSS? it's the same engine as RE8, which has RT...

also even back when RE2 was announced it was originally meant to get RayTracing after launch but never did.

so maybe they will update RE3 to be more in line with RE8

also, when the leaks are true and there is a whole new version of RE3 coming with scenarios added back in and a more open first half... then RayTracing would ve a logical upgrade

Last edited:
Capcom has this age old practice of selling their games again after a year, on consoles, with small added content and charge 70% to full price for it.

In context of this thread being PC related, PC gamers hate this practice and won't buy these much, and the small percentage of the original vanilla game who bought this yearly upgrade as well, would leave a negative review on steam.

This is the reason only dmc4 se made it to pc as it was an old game and fan reception would be great with the series return, not dmc5 se and DmC de (Ninja Theory), as they would both bomb in sales and get negative PR on top of it.

The only game in their catalogue that gets yearly paid upgrades and gets accepted by the buying players on pc is street fighter 5 afaik, and that is a competitive game and where 90% (or over) of it's players are on console because it's a fighting game.

No resident evil game on steam has ever got a yearly paid upgrade before. RE5 gold edition, didn't release on pc initially. The dlc were out only on consoles, for 6 years before it finally came to steam, for the reasons I stated above for dmc5 se and DmC de.

Will be interesting to see what this is. Personally, I expect a nothingburger with resident evil netflix series, CGI movie and live action movie ads stuffed into the main menu.

Orpheum

If it's actually a new RE3 version, the proper(!!!)version, they better not charge existing owners for it. After the amazing RE2 remake, RE3 was nothing short of disappointing due to missing so many areas

Draugoth

Gold Member

also even back when RE2 was announced it was originally meant to get RayTracing after launch but never did.

also, when the leaks are true and there is a whole new version of RE3 coming with scenarios added back in and a more open first half... then RayTracing would ve a logical upgrade

RE3 and RE2 were originally made and envisioned for a generation of consoles that did not support Ray Tracing or AI enchanced graphics, unlike VIIlage. I see no reason Capcom would make that only for RE3, which is the black sheep of the new RE games instead of RE2+RE3

Banned
RE3 and RE2 were originally made and envisioned for a generation of consoles that did not support Ray Tracing or AI enchanced graphics, unlike VIIlage. I see no reason Capcom would make that only for RE3, which is the black sheep of the new RE games instead of RE2+RE3

so basically Control can't exist... since it is impossible to release a game that was planned for last gen, and then also have raytracing on PC...
Battlefield 5 also doesn't exist, we all had a mass hallucination that it released, but it didn't...
Devil May Cry 5 on PS5 and Series X also a product of out imagination

X Factor Beyond Belief GIF by FILMRISE

No Way Beyond Belief GIF by FILMRISE
Jonathan Frakes Lies GIF by FILMRISE
Jonathan Frakes Beyond Belief GIF by FILMRISE

and who says they will only update RE3? this would be a perfect bundle deal here. rerelease RE2 and 3 with raytracing, added content and improved settings as a bundle for 60 bucks

Soodanim

I'm not saying it's "Polishing a turd", but the idea of just adding RT to RE3 after all this time and not the changes it needs does bring the phrase to mind.

Last edited:

subsmoke

If they were going to make an updated version of a game they should do it with the remake of 2 instead since that only needs a few enhancements. 3 has so many things wrong with it that it needs a major overhaul and I doubt Capcom would be willing to make any big changes to it.

Blackage

Honestly RE2 Remake & especially RE3 Remake just needed a bit more time in the oven. Like they came out and I had fun with them(Less with RE3) but I can only imagine if they weren't trying to hit whatever hard deadline they were given.

I enjoyed RE2 Remake, hell dare I say I love that game, but proper A/B Scenarios would have put it over the top into GOAT territory for me. Even at the start of the B scenario when the other person just ends up at the graveyard without having to run from the other side of the explosion disappointed me. The same exact boss fights, no item/environment changes between scenarios, etc.

It -feels- like RE3 Remake cut so much content to get it out of the door. Most of you know what I'm talking about. The ultra diminished Nemesis pursuit. The endless bullet sponge enemies etc.

If Capcom re-released them with any kind of changes it would probably be very well received.

SSfox

They need to do a lot to fix this game to make as legendary as it should been, i want to believe but it's hard for me to me believe because there just quite too much missing, to me what they should do to make the game legit, at least:

- Remake the gameplay in the first 30 minutes, basically this part is just holding L Joystick Up
- Obviousely all part of the game that were cut, Park, Clocktower, cemetery, i mean to me one of the most iconic moment in RE3 was zombies coming from underground, exploring Park in the Rain, moment like this are forever unforgettable and it's always shill to come back to those location in original RE3.
- No mercenaries Mode, i mean WTF are you serious???!!!

I mean there are few other things but if they already fix those that will already be something considerable.

Still tho, that's a quite a bit of stuffs and i don't see lazy Capcom fixing all this, and considering how RE4 is larger and bigger than RE3 i won't dare to think on how much content they'll cut on RE4 remake. If they do same as RE3R it litteraly means that 25% of iconic location are gonna get cut like that, and of course they'll remove the legendary mecernaries mode with Leon, Ada, Krauser, Wesker and Hunk as playable, because Capcom are just too weird and nonsens sometimes!!

RE3R felt like it was made by a COD dev team, or at least the devs tried to make it feel ala COD like, too short, too much scripted action. Not much puzzles at all, compared to RE2 Remake or RE3, it's quite weak in that area, it has qualities but not enough to stand out as it should had.

Last edited:
Top Bottom