• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake |OT| Party like it's 1998

angelic

Banned
Great at this was, I still prefer the original RE2. Some of the reimagining is a bit..dare I say dull. The stuff with the Police Chief on B went absolutely nowhere, the creatures bursting out of chests never ever seemed to do anything, no actual proper moving Plant 43 was a huge let down. The mystery of 2 is lacking in a lot of places, I was expecting some amazing revelatory experience in B, but I got basically the same game, with some boring Sherry bits thrown in. I guess I missed all the discussion on it.

kunonabi

Great at this was, I still prefer the original RE2. Some of the reimagining is a bit..dare I say dull. The stuff with the Police Chief on B went absolutely nowhere, the creatures bursting out of chests never ever seemed to do anything, no actual proper moving Plant 43 was a huge let down. The mystery of 2 is lacking in a lot of places, I was expecting some amazing revelatory experience in B, but I got basically the same game, with some boring Sherry bits thrown in. I guess I missed all the discussion on it.
Claire's reinvention is the best part of the remake. I also prefer the art direction and the re1.5 elements it brought back but a lot of the energy and meat from the original is just plain missing.

Just got the platinum. I'm gonna pretend S+ doesn't exist tho, I don't have the confidence to only use 3 saves.

Overall, I loved my time with this game. There were a few things I wish they'd done better. I wish Leon and Claire intersected a couple more times in the RPD, and I was pretty disappointed in this games "scenario B". But whatever, fantastic fucking game.

Last edited:

Vlaphor

Glad to see that the modding scene for this game is adding the important stuff

UXfzKoJ.jpg

GenericUser

The adaptive difficulty sometimes is a bit silly tbh. I currently try to "speedrun" claire a and managed to do pretty well all the way up to G phase 3. Now this beast eats up more then 60 handgun bullets, 3 flame grenades and like 3 magazines from the smg. What the fuck? It feels like the game actively punishes me for doing well. I have to get my head around that.

kunonabi

The adaptive difficulty sometimes is a bit silly tbh. I currently try to "speedrun" claire a and managed to do pretty well all the way up to G phase 3. Now this beast eats up more then 60 handgun bullets, 3 flame grenades and like 3 magazines from the smg. What the fuck? It feels like the game actively punishes me for doing well. I have to get my head around that.

Yeah, it's pretty dumb. Especially when it punishes you by sticking Mr. X right in front of you.

As for g3 you really want to focus on acid rounds, the sparkshot, and heavy handgun ammo.

Shifty

Had a brief poke at Kendo's part of the DLC in practice mode earlier. It seems decent- a point-to-point affair like 4th Survivor but with two routes, less relentless mechanical speedrunning and a bit more strategy in terms of items and such.

It has a certain low-budget feel about it though, purple-skinned zombies with glowing eyes, super goofy unlockable accessories like a G2 head mask with rapidly oscillating mouth. Fun, but not quite up to the lofty standards set by the main content.

GenericUser

Yeah, it's pretty dumb. Especially when it punishes you by sticking Mr. X right in front of you.

As for g3 you really want to focus on acid rounds, the sparkshot, and heavy handgun ammo.
Managed to beat him with the handgun only. I actually managed to finish the run with an S ranking, never knew I was capable of such a thing. I also never even picked up one grenade of acid ammo for the launcher during my entire run. I only remembered they exist after you mentioned them here.

I'm now on my Leon run, 1h in and almost at the sewers. Thank god Mr. X lost some of his scare factor for me, he's still a threat, but at least I can manage. Big kudos towards all the people finishing the game on S+ rankings, incredible achievment.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Managed to beat him with the handgun only. I actually managed to finish the run with an S ranking, never knew I was capable of such a thing. I also never even picked up one grenade of acid ammo for the launcher during my entire run. I only remembered they exist after you mentioned them here.

I'm now on my Leon run, 1h in and almost at the sewers. Thank god Mr. X lost some of his scare factor for me, he's still a threat, but at least I can manage. Big kudos towards all the people finishing the game on S+ rankings, incredible achievment.
Acid ammo has to be crafted. It really doesnt become super useful until the end so it's not strange to go the whole game without them.

evangd007

Got S+ with Claire A hardcore. Saves were in Iron's office before Mr. X spawns, before G2, and before G3. Leon will be substantially more difficult. I like Claire's weapons better.

I also beat Runaway. Working on No Time To Mourn. Have a route, I just have to play well.

Anyone know where the DLC Mr. Racoons are? I got two, but only shot one. The other must have been caught in a random explosion.

Last edited:

GenericUser

Acid ammo has to be crafted. It really doesnt become super useful until the end so it's not strange to go the whole game without them.
hehe, that explains a lot. I usually finish the game with a truckload of gun power of all sorts. I don't bother with crafting since it's not really a necessaty on standard. I actually finished the claire A scenario with over 120 handgun bullets left. I unlocked the samurai edge with unlimited ammo, game becomes substantially easier after that, I use that beast a lot on my leon run. I don't feel bad for doing so, I earned it.

Still thinking about a way to deal with the giant meatballs in the sewers, I don't want to waste ammo on them but I also didn't find a failsafe way to dodge them yet.

Last edited:

kunonabi

hehe, that explains a lot. I usually finish the game with a truckload of gun power of all sorts. I don't bother with crafting since it's not really a necessaty on standard. I actually finished the claire A scenario with over 120 handgun bullets left. I unlocked the samurai edge with unlimited ammo, game becomes substantially easier after that, I use that beast a lot on my leon run. I don't feel bad for doing so, I earned it.

Still thinking about a way to deal with the giant meatballs in the sewers, I don't want to waste ammo on them but I also didn't find a failsafe way to dodge them yet.

You're supposed to be able to stun them with a handgun shot to the head but it didnt work consistently for me. I just fired a single flame round and ran. Even if they grab you the fire damage will knock them out of it and you can just continue running without taking any damage. It isnt necessary for all of them as the first one and the one before the ladder have other methods to get past them.

GenericUser

You're supposed to be able to stun them with a handgun shot to the head but it didnt work consistently for me. I just fired a single flame round and ran. Even if they grab you the fire damage will knock them out of it and you can just continue running without taking any damage. It isnt necessary for all of them as the first one and the one before the ladder have other methods to get past them.
Hmm, I'm giving that a try. But to be honest, I tried shooting them to the head before and it didn't seem to hurt them that much. I figuered I might have to shoot the giant yellow eye on their left shoulders, but that also doesn't seem to affect them much.

The only way I found to get past them was to trigger their attack animation and run away from them. After like 5 meters or so, they will stop and their "recover animation" is running, this is the moment you can get past them without getting hurt. But as I said, does not work all the time. This currently makes the short section in the sewers where you have to get the king and queen plug quite a hassle for me. But it's more the tension that gets to me as on standard, it doesn't really matter if you waste one or two knifes or so on them.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Fyi: the free dlc is available. Haven't tried it yet. Still have to tackle the b scenarios and hardcore mode.

Played each story one time. As others said over the web, those are indeed harder than the actual game. A couple of new enemy variations (pity those cannot be incorporated into the Main Game), but I was disappointed at the total lack of a beginning cutscene. I was dying to know more about Kendo and his daughter.

urmie

I guess expectations were high for the DLC. Sure it's free and that's great, but I would've loved 3 mini-campaigns instead (which is what I thought this was going to be). I wanted to see the gun shop owner's experience before Leon/Ada show up in the story, something like that. I'm wondering why there is no Ada mission either. (or yet)

GenericUser

I guess expectations were high for the DLC. Sure it's free and that's great, but I would've loved 3 mini-campaigns instead (which is what I thought this was going to be). I wanted to see the gun shop owner's experience before Leon/Ada show up in the story, something like that. I'm wondering why there is no Ada mission either. (or yet)

Should have kept your expectations in check mate. DLC that is released only half a month after the main game in a SP only game serves only the purpoes to keep people from selling the game early. To be quiet honest, I think he main game provides more then enough content to justify the full price tag.

angelic

Banned

So is it a real thing that it "reads" your inventory, because Birkin on the lift platform at the end drained my entire (vast) ammo resources and only died when I threw my last grenade at him.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Only beat the 2 and 3 star Ghost Survivors challenges. A lot of people don't seem happy with it, the accessories being limited to only that mode is lame. Despite this being 4th Survivor lite, I'm more than happy with it.

Shifty

Seems like there might be a little more to Ghost Survivors than meets the eye.

The unlockable wave survival scenario starring the sheriff is a bit of goofy fun.

Last edited:

kyubajin

Took the survey, hope it sends them the message that we loved the game and are eager for more, my main complain was the absence of the great zapping system of the original.

kunonabi

Took the survey, hope it sends them the message that we loved the game and are eager for more, my main complain was the absence of the great zapping system of the original.

That was my complaint too. Well, that and the abysmal controls and music.

Shifty

Thong mods are now a thing, though perhaps not for the character you expected:

dQHPk4UoGSdVWDN6GL2eDR.jpeg

Recommended listening:

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
This is a really good game. I just finished up an S run on Normal to get the reward for that. I can't remember how many runs I've done now, but clearly I like it to have done this many.

Though, I think I've come to one sad realization. The police department part is perfectly crafted. The sewers are decent, but a step down. This is not actually a problem. But, the lab barely exists. If they had designed the lab area as well as they did the station, that would have been so satisfying.

The first time I played the game and got to the lab, I was so pumped. It looked like another intricate and extensive area like the station. Unfortunately it's just so basic and you barely actually even do anything. Without knowing the door codes in advance, they do get you to backtrack and it almost seems like a real area for the game. But once you're on your 5th run or more, the station is still satisfying and the lab is a joke.

kunonabi

This is a really good game. I just finished up an S run on Normal to get the reward for that. I can't remember how many runs I've done now, but clearly I like it to have done this many.

Though, I think I've come to one sad realization. The police department part is perfectly crafted. The sewers are decent, but a step down. This is not actually a problem. But, the lab barely exists. If they had designed the lab area as well as they did the station, that would have been so satisfying.

The first time I played the game and got to the lab, I was so pumped. It looked like another intricate and extensive area like the station. Unfortunately it's just so basic and you barely actually even do anything. Without knowing the door codes in advance, they do get you to backtrack and it almost seems like a real area for the game. But once you're on your 5th run or more, the station is still satisfying and the lab is a joke.

The lab benefited a lot from the A/B scenarios in the original game so it isn't too surprising that they ended up kind up being the weak link in the remake. It is the laziest part of the game even without taking that into account though.

I'm still kind of confused that they kept the naked zombies for the ghost survivors but didn't include them in the main game. That would have helped the lab out in the absence of upgraded lickers and the moth.

back to comments about the controls, the 180 turn continues to be trash since they changed it, the button configs are mostly useless with the best layout suffering from having ammo changing as an L3 input. I've had so many unnecessary deaths because of accidental ammo switching that I had to stop carrying multiple ammo types around.

Geki-D

Banned
The lab benefited a lot from the A/B scenarios in the original game so it isn't too surprising that they ended up kind up being the weak link in the remake. It is the laziest part of the game even without taking that into account though.
The devs did originally say there wouldn't even be a B game, just one scenario for each character, though I guess they shoehorned in the B games because people were saying they wanted them. It's a real shame we don't get a real otherside of the coin story like in the original.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Same, no complaints there.

I'd say one of the biggest issues with the game is how you can abuse doors to kill things and take no damage.
Oh yeah! That one I agree, especially the fact you can use that against Lickers.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Got an S+ with Claire. 2 hours and 6 seconds, had to restart A LOT if I didn't make a decent amount of progress and took damage.

Save 1: Sherry save point
Save 2: Before G2 fight
Save 3: Before G3 fight

Shifty1897

Shoot em really quick with the machine gun to stun them and run past them.

It's rather easy and not random at all. I can do consistent runs that range between 8 and 10 mins.

Most of the zombies you just avoid them. Don't use any defend items until you reach the police department, you will need them if you really want to finish it because the last part is hell and use the red blue mix just before the two monsters in the water to give you defence and poison protection.

Use the magnum for the licker in the boiler room and when you enter the door after the parking lot hug the left of the wall and when licker jumps on you knife him. When you go up use the shotgun or magnum on MisterX's head to stun him.

In general the trick is to memorise which zombies need headshoting or avoiding.

Only make shotgun shells.
I love 4th survivor! I've started trying to speedrun it. My PB is currently 9:04. I even uploaded a video of my flawed-but-improving run:

Grinchy

Banned
I thought the 14,000 steps trophy was going to be way harder than it was. I just loaded up a Claire B on Assisted and ended up beating it at like 10,000 steps. Though, it helped that I was using the infinite handgun.

Soodanim

I've not had too much time to play this game so far, so I've only done Claire A/B and Leon A. Given that RE2 is possibly my favourite game of all time, this hits the spot. A few criticisms posted above are 100% correct, but I haven't got to the point where I really feel them yet. Best fan service moment: that cutscene in the elevator with Sherry. That was the sort of thing I used to imagine when I was a kid, so that was fantastic.

Again, similar to others, I have started to figure out ways to "game" the game. Lickers and doors was the first thing, but I can see why they're limited (imagine those things across rooms with how vicious they are). Save rooms and Mr X was and still is funny to see him crouch down to peer at you, but it does let you look behind the curtain. The first time he followed me into the main hall was a great moment, though.

Another thing I've noticed is that during the
scaffold/moving container G fight, as he's ripping the door off you can use the downtime in the animation to slip past him without danger.
Weirdly I've figured that out but not 100% figured out zombies. The randomness in their reactions to things and their ability to double lunge/run and actually catch up to me while running makes them dangerous. Which is good, the game isn't too easy.

Despite a few flaws, Capcom did so will with this. I'm very interested to see what they will do with 3. Nemesis already following from rooms in the original but having the terrifying sprint means without some tweaks he will be OP. How do they counter that? Easy to stun means he's no threat, slowing down means he's just Mr X with what I imagine will be a fantastic reskin with a rocket launcher.

This post was brought to you by the offices of Poorly Formatted and Slightly Gushy.

Also, how long before I give up on finding the 5th roll of film myself? I couldn't find any interaction point in Wesker's desk and I spammed the "Film contains evidence" sign more than what felt like 50 times. Hmm. Also missing files/Mr Raccoons.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Thanks! Was bagging for Spiders and Crows to come back via DLC :)
I nearly replied saying that spiders were so irrelevant that they aren't missed, but seeing them re-done would have been nice come to think of it. They would have had to have been moved from the sewers though, they wouldn't that well in the sewers we got. Crows are something I would have missed had Claire gotten a bowgun, as sticking them to walls would have been fun. But their agility might have been a bit too much of an annoyance with Mr X around.

Maybe we'll see both of them in R3make. Crows played more of a part in that, but spiders not so much so. But, Hunters... They're going to be so angry.

Last edited:

kyubajin

Got an S+ with Claire. 2 hours and 6 seconds, had to restart A LOT if I didn't make a decent amount of progress and took damage.

Save 1: Sherry save point
Save 2: Before G2 fight
Save 3: Before G3 fight
I’m working on my Hardcore S+ run too, already making it to G2 in about 1 hour 20ish minutes... what a ride indeed, but I hear Leon’s S+ is way harder.

Ellery

Amazing game. Overall I had a blast playing through it 4 times and doing the extras. The animations, enemy models and graphics are all spot on. I think as far as remakes go Capcom is the benchmark with Resident Evil Remake and RE2. It did not quite invoke the magical feel I had back when I first played Resident Evil 2 when I was younger but to be far I was younger and more impressionable and nostalgia plays a big part.

A couple of issues I have with the PC Version :

- Negative Mouse Acceleration. When you move the mouse extremely slow then you start to notice the crosshair movement starts to slow down and it is not a 1:1 translation of mousepad movement like it is when you move it faster. Basically the opposite of Mouse Acceleration. I dislike both of those accelerations and I try to turn them off on all levels (hardware and software), but sadly it isn't possible in RE2.
- Mouse feels a big spongy when aiming in relation to the character movement. Hard to explain. Not that big a deal though.
- Shadow Settings. The low and medium shadow settings sadly leave a weird pattern on walls that look like diagonal stripes and with my current hardware I can't turn shadows to higher settings because 1440p is quite taxing for my GPU. Still the game is amazingly optimized and I love the engine.
- Most probably noticed there are some reflection problems (doesn't matter if screen space reflections is turned on/off) on walls and ceilings.

Other than that there are some little things that I don't necessarily understand the design decisions behind like the adaptive difficulty. It is not a bad thing for newcomers to the series and making things less frustrating when you are in dire situations. (taking less damage when you only have very few health items. enemies dying faster when ammunition is low). I just wish there was an option where you can turn it off or an additional difficulty setting called "realistic" (not the best name forgive me) where zombies take way fewer bullets to kill, especially headshots, but you also find less ammunition.

But like I said it is an amazing game and I am very satified with the product overall and I hope for the next installment (or remakes) in the Resident Evil series to do it like they did with RE2. If I had dream come true I would love to see a RE2 DLC where you play as Elza Walker in a different police station, completely new assets, taking huge inspirations from 1.5. I would gladly pay 30$ for that.

I nearly replied saying that spiders were so irrelevant that they aren't missed, but seeing them re-done would have been nice come to think of it. They would have had to have been moved from the sewers though, they wouldn't that well in the sewers we got. Crows are something I would have missed had Claire gotten a bowgun, as sticking them to walls would have been fun. But their agility might have been a bit too much of an annoyance with Mr X around.

Maybe we'll see both of them in R3make. Crows played more of a part in that, but spiders not so much so. But, Hunters... They're going to be so angry.
The thing about spiders is along with zombies and dogs they were the only consistent enemies between all 5 of the old RE's, well in CV it was boss only IIRC, hell they even kept them in DMC1. Kind of feels weird they're now gone, even if they never had the biggest presence. Hopefully they come back in a future DLC, I'm hoping the "Ada the Spy" people found in data mining turns out to be a DLC expansion of her story, which would be a good place to add them or a boss spider.

Last edited:
Top Bottom