• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake |OT| Party like it's 1998

Did my first play though as Leon. Did my 2nd with Claire for the true ending.

I guess it unlocks Leons 2nd now. But is it worth starting over with Claire then finish with Leon?

Don’t get me wrong everything is executed incredibly well. I’m just not sure if this game is for me.

Definitely wouldn’t mind running around blasting shit but the whole “run from everything” vibe is beginning to get really annoying.

I hear you man. Why I'm holding out for a price drop or Redbox. Feeling powerless and running aren't my cup of tea. Game still looks amazing. Will definitely play on EASY, too old for all that stress lol

fart town usa

Gold Member
When I took the secret passage back to the police station to grab some hidden goodies, X was nowhere to be found. Really I only dealt with him for a pretty short amount of time. He’s not in the sewers for example.

With what you read on here, Reee and Reddit it's like he breaks and ruins the whole experience. Yeah sure I guess if you decide to go explore and collect all the items and shit while he’s around. :messenger_expressionless:

If you grab everything as you go and make every room you can 100% explored by the time you really run into him, you shouldnt have any problems.

Well said. By the time Mr X showed up, I had cleared everything available for the most part and only had a few puzzles left. Mr X never really felt like a threat but the tension and footsteps were great. I love having to actively looking at the map, plan a route, maximize the inventory, and then execute the plan. For me, there is no better feeling in video gaming and RE2 has this in spades within the RPD.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Seriously what the fuck is the point here? Running from everything and solving obscure statue puzzles? I know this game was the shit twenty fucking years ago, but....

OG RE2 still is the shit and will always be the shit. Played through Leon B last night and God damn, just flawless gaming. After all these years I still manage to find investigatory descriptions and items that I'd never found before.

At the end of my first Standard run:
AaPs4vi.jpg

Unless you're unbelievably horrible at aiming, there's absolutely no way you can run out of ammo on Standard difficulty. That's not very Resident Evil.

But yeah, this is the last time I complain about Game Journalist Standard difficulty... hopefully.

Still love the game regardless. Been playing it nonstop just like back in '98.

Hostile_18

Banned
How are you meant to solve the statue puzzles?

I saw that one is the creature of the statue your in front off and then brute forced them open. Only took about 60 seconds a statue lol.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
I don't understand how some people are saying this game is too hard, and Mr X is also too hard to deal with. I don't find this game hard, and I got by Mr X with no problems at all. My guess is people are just bad at video games.

Hostile_18

Banned
I don't understand how some people are saying this game is too hard, and Mr X is also too hard to deal with. I don't find this game hard, and I got by Mr X with no problems at all. My guess is people are just bad at video games.

Must admit Mr x hasn't bothered me either. You can always run away faster than he can chase you and the jump scares have been great!

sertopico

After trying again to kill Birkin 1 on hardcore mode (first run) and fail another time I decided to start the game over on standard. The enemies take too many bullets and I ran out of them. My pride is hurt.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
Must admit Mr x hasn't bothered me either. You can always run away faster than he can chase you and the jump scares have been great!
he's pretty easy to deal with, my guess is people are just not smart and try to fight him. Or people don't know you can just bring him to other areas then just run away from him.

JRW

Im so mad that I didn't check cdkeys before buying on steam, they're currently selling the deluxe edition for $51 (steam key).

Other than that, Love this game, best remake ever :messenger_waving:

MMaRsu

Banned
Don´t support this shit. It´s bullshit and it ruins the industry. You shouldn´t have to pay extra for the music that should be included in the game. Soon we will be paying extra for the beginning and the end.

Well they are releasing free dlc. In this case I'd rather give a little bit of extra to Capcom ( only spent 35 euro's on the PC version ), I agree with your general point, which is why I dont buy EA or Ubishit games that are filled with this BS and makes the game feel empty if you dont buy every piece of dlc.

But it has already ruined the industry bro. Back when Horse Armor came out for Oblivion, I was on GAF telling people not to buy it. People didnt care. Now we have DLC like this ;). No way back now sadly.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I was liking the game, gorgeous graphics and art, the puzzles are back, even stronger than REVII. "I can't ask more than this in 2019" I thought.

Got to the first boss. Shoot him a lot, picked some ammo, shoot him some more. "Let's pick more ammo". Couldn't find. "Ok, where is the ammo spawn?"

You know, every AAA game spawns unlimited ammo in bosses to prevent players to get stuck, so I tried to search a little more. Nothing. And this is were my jaw hitted the floor. This game has the audacity to expect me to manage my resources like it was one of my beloved PSX games? I need to go to a previous save and if I didn't have enough resources in my save I need to play from the begining?! And I wasn't particularly trigger happy before facing him!

I tried a second time with very careful aiming and could defeated the boss, but with only 1 pistol bullet in my magazine after the fight. Resource management is even more important than the original game.

This is a true Resident Evil, not a wannabe. Damn, I'm happy.

Yes. Mismanagement of resources will fuck you over. I completely ran out of ammo on the final boss and stood there in disbelief as it... died.. LOL.

urmie

I've been noticing more "S+" videos. So if you get S+, there actually is infinite magnum, rocket launcher, etc ?? Is this only on Hardcore or Standard as well? Or are these PC hacks that I'm watching?

-MD-

I haven't any issue with him either. I did exit a save room and he was just standing silently 2 feet from the door and took a swing at me but I dodged it, that surprised me.

I've noticed his AI is pretty wonky, sometimes he'll just walk in the complete opposite direction of you, one time when he was walking away I stopped moving and he stopped moving as well and just stood there for 10 seconds, then started to path toward me.

protonion

This was the perfect remake until I started Claire B.
Mister X is super annoying. This is not Alien Isolation where you have just to go from a to b. The most fun in clasic REs is exploring and puzle solving while making rounds and mastering the maps.
A few minutes of him in Leon A after almost being done with the map was fine. But now it just annoying.
Hope they don't handle Nemesis like this. I prefer to be all scripted.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I realized something is missing that is integral in old RE. Head stomping zombies on the floor when they bite you. Why was this taken out? Just realized playing 4th Survivor.

I realized something is missing that is integral in old RE. Head stomping zombies on the floor when they bite you. Why was this taken out? Just realized playing 4th Survivor.

If it's in there I sure haven't noticed it. With the way zombies are implemented in this game they probably removed it to maintain their threat.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I haven't any issue with him either. I did exit a save room and he was just standing silently 2 feet from the door and took a swing at me but I dodged it, that surprised me.

I've noticed his AI is pretty wonky, sometimes he'll just walk in the complete opposite direction of you, one time when he was walking away I stopped moving and he stopped moving as well and just stood there for 10 seconds, then started to path toward me.

You're a lucky one. He's been on a terminator focus to destroy me at all times with no immersion breaking on his part.

hecatomb

Banned
This was the perfect remake until I started Claire B.
Mister X is super annoying. This is not Alien Isolation where you have just to go from a to b. The most fun in clasic REs is exploring and puzle solving while making rounds and mastering the maps.
A few minutes of him in Leon A after almost being done with the map was fine. But now it just annoying.
Hope they don't handle Nemesis like this. I prefer to be all scripted.
like I said he's easy to deal with, just bring him somewhere, then run away from him so he loses you.

My last Hardcore result before the platinum. Sorry for the quality, took the photo with the phone to show it to a friend.

I've only had the infinite handgun. Doesn't really do much, but it keeps you alive at some points. I would like a bit more of a challenge though. The A.I. was a bit of hit and miss.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Why is the Tyrant called Mr X? I always remember him having that name but I don't remember where it came from.
Maybe I saw it in some magazine.
When the original game came out, me and my friends called him "The trenchcoat man". Only actually heard of Mr X years later went I gained access to the internet.
Is Mr X confined to the police station or does he stalk you throughout all areas of the game?
When you turn the game off he appears in your house. :messenger_astonished:

From what I understand he follows you around in the station but only appears at set moments in other places.

Last edited:

Aren117

How are you meant to solve the statue puzzles?

I saw that one is the creature of the statue your in front off and then brute forced them open. Only took about 60 seconds a statue lol.

You get the file with the solutions right at the start on 1st Scenario.
On 2nd Scenario, you gotta find the file and missing page.

TacosNSalsa

I don't find Mr X hard ..just an annoyance..kinda like that kid in high school that was obnoxious and you couldn't get rid of because he couldnt take a hint but you were too nice to tell to f*ck off outright. He's really not that bad , you just have to scrape him off the bottom of your shoe like a piece of sh*t you accidentally stepped into

I've been noticing more "S+" videos. So if you get S+, there actually is infinite magnum, rocket launcher, etc ?? Is this only on Hardcore or Standard as well? Or are these PC hacks that I'm watching?
Only hardcore. To get S plus on hardcore you have to beat the game in less that 2:30 (A rout) or 2:00 (B rout) with 3 saves or less and no infinite weapons.

You only have to do the detonator with Mr.X chasing you in Scenario B/[2nd].

Mr.X doesn't appear in B until you either enter and
leave the STARS office or walk passed the STARS office.
You can collect everything you wish and only have to contend with him to place the detonator and pickup the last medallion from the goddess statue, which is why the bookcase glitching is such a big help. You could go to the STARS office and then to the goddess statue and possibly never get cornered by him.
I wondered what his trigger point was for start of B. That makes that better.

Hostile_18

Banned
You get the file with the solutions right at the start on 1st Scenario.
On 2nd Scenario, you gotta find the file and missing page.

Oh no way how could I miss that lol. Still a good way to do it in the second playthrough if it's a speed run or whatever :)

Shifty

I managed to down Mr. X with three M9 shots to the face earlier, in the library in Leon B trying to move the shelves.

I swear that must have been the luckiest shit ever. Sure as hell didn't work when I tried a second time.

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yooo these weekly challenges look ridiculously hard lol. I wonder how many people who did them were using trainers.

Holgren

Soo.... About that dead animation from the plant monsters. Could that be a reference to this classic scene from The Thing?

Shifty

I've seen talk of Mr. X busting through a certain wall, but haven't seen it across four playthroughs. Anyone know how to trigger it?

Also, did anyone else feel like the Claire A-specific lines in the early RPD sections were kind of oddly delivered?

Playing it after Leon A and remembering stuff like "I gotta help that guy" and the conversation with Marvin, Claire's line reads kind of gave me the feel of old-school Resi with its weird translations and odd delivery.

Claire's game is much better, IMO. The grenade launcher is hands down better than the shotgun.
Yup, plus she's so much more agile than Leon. The lower health pool isn't too bothersome when your foe is either burning to death or already two rooms behind you.

Soo.... About that dead animation from the plant monsters. Could that be a reference to this classic scene from The Thing?

:messenger_fearful:

There's certainly a plausible similarity about it.

Last edited:
I've seen talk of Mr. X busting through a certain wall, but haven't seen it across four playthroughs. Anyone know how to trigger it?
Like how he would bust through the wall of the press room after you encountered him there in the original, in this he can bust through it when heading back from the interrogation/observation rooms (which is where the entrance to it was in the original).

2019_01_28_13.59.06_Screenshot.png

resident-evil-2-remake-world-map-comparison-3.png

Im so mad that I didn't check cdkeys before buying on steam, they're currently selling the deluxe edition for $51 (steam key).

Other than that, Love this game, best remake ever :messenger_waving:
Green Man Gaming are great as well. I preordered mine for 51, deluxe.

Chiggs

Update on Broken DLC

Microsoft sent me an email this morning (presumably because the one I sent Capcom was forwarded to them). They sent me another code for the Deluxe DLC, and it appears that everything is working now.

I responded to their email with a question about what happened, but I have yet to receive a response. Basically, it looks like my original code never attached itself to my profile correctly, causing everything to go to shit.

fart town usa

Gold Member

My guess is that the people complaining have never played a classic era RE title and are leaving rooms RED on the map. Gotta keep searching till they're BLUE. By the time Mr X arrived for me 95% of the rooms had been searched and I didn't have to do much else. Also, classic era survival horror is a new concept to zoomers and people who only got into RE with RE4. True survival horror, at least on a blind run, requires PLANNING, like serious planning. Those save rooms are for plotting your next move. I said it earlier in this thread but for me, there isn't a better feeling than studying the map and executing a run through the RPD. It's so damn exhilarating. Nothing compares.

Belmonte

Yes. Mismanagement of resources will fuck you over. I completely ran out of ammo on the final boss and stood there in disbelief as it... died.. LOL.

Hehe, Damn! Did you have a previous save with enough resources to continue your game?

When me and my friends got to the end boss, on the original RE2, for the first time, we didn't have any ammo! A feat, considering the game has much more ammo than RE1 or even this remake. Dudes used all the resources and the controller was in my hands in the boss. Never forgot this since I had only a knife and few health itens. My friends said "we trust you" and the funny part is that the brats expected me to win!

To some I can sound like a masochist but I think this is respecting the player choice. I feel my actions, in the entire game, means something if the game refuse to spoon feed me resources.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Hehe, Damn! Did you have a previous save with enough resources to continue your game?

When me and my friends got to the end boss, on the original RE2, for the first time, we didn't have any ammo! A feat, considering the game has much more ammo than RE1 or even this remake. Dudes used all the resources and the controller was in my hands in the boss. Never forgot this since I had only a knife and few health itens. My friends said "we trust you" and the funny part is that the brats expected me to win!

To some I can sound like a masochist but I think this is respecting the player choice. I feel my actions, in the entire game, means something if the game refuse to spoon feed me resources.

"We trust you..." LOL

Oh man, I'm sure I was in that same situation with my 2 buddies back in 8th grade. I swear, I'll always treasure the memories of playing 1/2/3 in middle school with my buddies Josh and Jim. Damn good times.

Last edited:

sertopico

Alright, I got to the garage in less than two hours on standard difficulty. It's really a walk in the park this way, ammos are abundant and zombies/lickers die much easier now. I'm finally enjoying the game. :D

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Played the Hunk mission and it's very disappointing. There isn't even a surefire way to pass the first zombie. If you approach kind of to the right then pass on the left sometimes she spins to grab and misses you, which the next one does as well. Other times, her body blocks your way and she grabs you from the front. I've done it like 50 times and there doesn't seem to be a sure way to do it right every time. There's a lot of stuff like this through the run as the game mechanics are just too random for this sort of mode. It's good for survival-horror, bad for action runs. RE5, 6 & Revelations had super tight combat mechanics that made for great battle modes.

Played the Hunk mission and it's very disappointing. There isn't even a surefire way to pass the first zombie. If you approach kind of to the right then pass on the left sometimes she spins to grab and misses you, which the next one does as well. Other times, her body blocks your way and she grabs you from the front. I've done it like 50 times and there doesn't seem to be a sure way to do it right every time. There's a lot of stuff like this through the run as the game mechanics are just too random for this sort of mode. It's good for survival-horror, bad for action runs. RE5, 6 & Revelations had super tight combat mechanics that made for great battle modes.

Shoot em really quick with the machine gun to stun them and run past them.

It's rather easy and not random at all. I can do consistent runs that range between 8 and 10 mins.

Most of the zombies you just avoid them. Don't use any defend items until you reach the police department, you will need them if you really want to finish it because the last part is hell and use the red blue mix just before the two monsters in the water to give you defence and poison protection.

Use the magnum for the licker in the boiler room and when you enter the door after the parking lot hug the left of the wall and when licker jumps on you knife him. When you go up use the shotgun or magnum on MisterX's head to stun him.

In general the trick is to memorise which zombies need headshoting or avoiding.

Only make shotgun shells.

Last edited:
Top Bottom