• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake |OT| Party like it's 1998

So now if a developer portrays a Police Station as a safe heaven during a zombie outbreak (even though it turns out it isn't) he's a far-right wing supporter? Because apparently it's cool today to hate the police?

she sounds like the type to say fuck the police but at the first sign of something wrong will hide behind the police like a scared chihuahua

man vice is utter utter shit and the reason these people get away with it is because no one calls them out for being completely bonkers

Pimpbaa

I constantly leave items I find just in case someone else needs them more. Also I keep trying to talk to that Mr X fellow, but he keeps killing me, I'm assuming he is alt right. I will try and start a campaign to get him fired tomorrow. One of the more horrifying things I found in the game was a small automatic gun of some sorts. It was just laying around! What if a child had found that?!

sertopico

Finished Leon A hardcore and Claire B hardcore. Claire run was easier as noted by how much ammo and health items I had left at the end.

First shot 4th Survivor.

Good game with some minor problems here and there. Mediocre acting, however.
Still better than many action movies though! I didn't find it that bad personally,considering the genre.

Grinchy

Banned
Finished up Claire B earlier. That was pretty awesome. I think that was more satisfying that Leon A. Just a great game overall.

It kinda reminds me of how I felt with God of War last year. Capcom was able to make something new that retained the feeling of something lots of us enjoyed from the past and it was a nearly perfect execution.

Finished up Claire B earlier. That was pretty awesome. I think that was more satisfying that Leon A. Just a great game overall.

It kinda reminds me of how I felt with God of War last year. Capcom was able to make something new that retained the feeling of something lots of us enjoyed from the past and it was a nearly perfect execution.

dont agree. whoever has the a scenario has the better one as you get to explore the area more and get more time really feeling out the game. b is over too quickly. i mean both arent long but you know

hecatomb

Banned

now you just have to finish Hunk and Tofu quest

pawel86ck

Banned
RE2 remake is very good game, but compared to classic RE2 it's also a totally different game, so I would still like to see classic RE2 with updated 2D backgrounds in the future :p (maybe some talented moders will remake 2D backgrounds for classic RE2 someday).

Graphics:
+very good lighting (finally a game that looks like some Unreal Engine 4 tech demos)
+extremely detailed IN GAME characters models (it look slike Nvidia tech demo or something)
-some very blurry textures there and there (especially on posters)
-black levels (blacks looks gray like on cheap LCD)
-Forced Edge Enhancement to counterbalance TAA blur (because of that every other AA besides TAA looks very bad, picture is oversharpened and everything shimmers)

Overall 9/10

Gameplay:
+good balance between classic and new RE games, so you can still either kill everything or run from it :p
+boss fights
+improved knife, it was useless before in RE2 classic and it's one of the best weapon now since zombies take way too many bullets before they will die
-underpowered pistol (many perfectly placed bullets to the head and still no head POP, I would rather see satisfying head POP like in old RE2 after shooting 7-8 bullets!!!). I really hope moders will help with that :p

Overall 9/10

Last edited:

nacorcb

Neo Member
You can get head pops with pistols but only if scoring a critical hit. Critical hits are luck based. Also, zombie life points are randomized (not all, some are scripted).

The game doesnt tell you this, you have to discover it.

It is a nice mechanic. You have to ask yourself: should I test my luck with headshots or go for the limbs?

Last edited:

Zambatoh

-underpowered pistol (many perfectly placed bullets to the head and still no head POP, I would rather see satisfying head POP like in old RE2 after shooting 7-8 bullets!!!). I really hope moders will help with that :p

Overall 9/10
You couldn't actually do that in old RE2. Not with a handgun anyway.

Grinchy

Banned
dont agree. whoever has the a scenario has the better one as you get to explore the area more and get more time really feeling out the game. b is over too quickly. i mean both arent long but you know
Yeah I was pretty surprised that I could skip so much of the sewers area in my Claire B run. I just meant that the more flushed out "story" aspects were more satisfying to me. It felt a bit more complete in that regard for the B side.

pawel86ck

Banned
You couldn't actually do that in old RE2. Not with a handgun anyway.
It happened frequently during my RE2 classic playthrough, 7-8 bullets and zombie was already out forever with frequent head pop, and with shotgun it was just a matter of one shot from close distance (in fact even 3x zombie head pops in a row was possible in one shot!).

In remake however zombies are more like tanks. In full 3D you can aim exactly where you want and it's frustrating to me when even after 20 precise bullets zombie head is still there. With one magnum bullet or 1/2 shotgun shots head pops everytime and I would like to see the same head pop after 8 handgun bullets. I just feel handgun is just a little bit underpowered and for me it was easier to kill zombie in this game with the knife rather than with well placed headshots :(.

Last edited:

-MD-

It happened frequently during my RE2 classic playthrough, 7-8 bullets and zombie was already out forever with frequent head pop, and with shotgun it was just a matter of one shot from close distance (in fact you could even 3x zombie heads in a row with one shot!).

In remake however zombies are more like tanks. In full 3D you can aim exactly where you want and it's frustrating to me when even after 20 precise bullets zombie head is still there. With one magnum bullet or 1/2 shotgun shots head pops everytime and I would like to see the same head pop after 8 handgun bullets. I just feel handgun is just a little bit underpowered and for me it was easier to kill zombie in this game with the knife rather than with well placed headshots :(.

It's supposed to be underpowered, the game is balanced around it.

Also the knife is broken and damage is multiplied based on frame rate, it's not supposed to be that powerful either.

Last edited:
You can get head pops with pistols but only if scoring a critical hit. Critical hits are luck based. Also, zombie life points are randomized (not all, some are scripted).

It is a nice mechanic. You have to ask yourself: should I test my luck with headshots or go for the limbs?
Actually the game has adaptive difficulty, so there is variables. Effects bosses too.

Last edited:

evangd007

The guys at reddit are collecting a lot of nice info on weapon damage:

- Crits are random and are 3x damage.
- There doesn't seem to be a weak spot on zombies with respect to damage. All parts of the zombie take full damage.
- The different parts of the zombie have different values for flinching build-up. Head > legs > body > arms
- Waiting for the reticle to focus increases damage dealt as well as accuracy. Any weapon with a laser sight (Claire's second pistol and the Lightning Hawk with the laser sight upgrade) counts as fully focused all the time.

I speculate that limbs have an hp value that you have to exceed in cumulative damage to break them, while the head needs to have a damage threshold exceeded in a single shot to pop it. That's why they only pop from close, well-aimed shotgun blasts, pistol crits, and Lightning Hawk/.357 shots.

Geki-D

Banned
- There doesn't seem to be a weak spot on zombies with respect to damage. All parts of the zombie take full damage.
This is pretty sucky, headshots should do more damage. They should add in a mode were headshots do massive damage but only headshots kill zombies.

HiSpi

Neo Member
I constantly leave items I find just in case someone else needs them more. Also I keep trying to talk to that Mr X fellow, but he keeps killing me, I'm assuming he is alt right. I will try and start a campaign to get him fired tomorrow. One of the more horrifying things I found in the game was a small automatic gun of some sorts. It was just laying around! What if a child had found that?!

LOL, post of the month.

sertopico

The guys at reddit are collecting a lot of nice info on weapon damage:

- Crits are random and are 3x damage.
- The different parts of the zombie have different values for flinching build-up. Head > legs > body > arms
- Waiting for the reticle to focus increases damage dealt as well as accuracy. Any weapon with a laser sight (Claire's second pistol and the Lightning Hawk with the laser sight upgrade) counts as fully focused all the time.

I speculate that limbs have an hp value that you have to exceed in cumulative damage to break them, while the head needs to have a damage threshold exceeded in a single shot to pop it. That's why they only pop from close, well-aimed shotgun blasts, pistol crits, and Lightning Hawk/.357 shots.
From what I read around you can kill a zombie with one bullet by shooting exactly between the eyes. It's particularly tough to do that though.

Nickolaidas

Banned
The head needs to have a damage threshold exceeded in a single shot to pop it. That's why they only pop from close, well-aimed shotgun blasts, pistol crits, and Lightning Hawk/.357 shots.

Not true. I have managed to occasionally pop up the fat zombie's head (the one that tries to crack open the vending machine) from the spot that Leon jumps down from the room across with the very first Matilda shot - and that's a long distance. This also debunks the speculation that you need to shoot the zombie between the eyes, since the particular fat zombie is looking at your right (at the vending machine) - so I guess my shot hits it at the temple.

I think it's pure damn luck where the handguns are concerned. Shotgun blasts though, I agree with you - the closer, the merrier.

Last edited:

sertopico

Who knows, sometimes I also have the feeling it's pure luck. On some article it was pointed out that the part of the head to shoot is where the cerebellum (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebellum) is. So, if it's a frontal, side, or back gunshot it doesn't matter, what matters is getting that particular area.

Anyway I have to admit that I even had problems with the shotgun on close distance, sometimes the head didn't explode at all, after upgrading it instead you get almost 100% chance of popping their heads.

Last edited:

nacorcb

Neo Member
This is pretty sucky, headshots should do more damage. They should add in a mode were headshots do massive damage but only headshots kill zombies.

The game would be too easy then, I think the current system is well thought. It feels a beit weird at the beguinning because the standard in zombie games (but Dead Space) always is to shoot the head.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
I loved this game. The design feels like a forgotten art. There's something so satisfying about gaining a new item which allows you to progress further. I don't think I could ever get tired of this formula and it's a shame that's it has gone by the wayside recently in favour of larger open worlds.

Grinchy

Banned
Not sure how I feel about the 4th Survivor mode so far. I only tried it twice, but I feel like I am supposed to get out a sheet of paper and write down every hallway/instance and perfectly plan the route. Not sure if that sounds fun to me or not.

So I've finished Leon and Claire's A & B on standard. Tried beating Hunk mode and died outside the S.T.A.R.S. office. (I'll come back to it later)

What should I be going for next? Should I do a hardcore run (not going for S, that's for later) or should I replay standard mode now and go straight for S rank? Also, should I get all the raccoon toys first before even bothering with S?

Nickolaidas

Banned
So I've finished Leon and Claire's A & B on standard. Tried beating Hunk mode and died outside the S.T.A.R.S. office. (I'll come back to it later)

What should I be going for next? Should I do a hardcore run (not going for S, that's for later) or should I replay standard mode now and go straight for S rank? Also, should I get all the raccoon toys first before even bothering with S?

The good thing about Mr Racoon is that the game remembers all the shot toys no matter which mode you play. Right now I'm missing two.

ruvikx

Banned
I completed the goddess statue medallions on the ps4 (in hardcore)… & decided it was time to get the pc version instead. Two things: A/on the pc (once the color depth was set properly on my plasma screen, i.e. the washed out greys were a problems)) it's freaking spectacular. Locked smooth 60 fps & everything clean & "ultra" @ 1080p (3gb textures). This game is one of the noteworthy pick up & play without hassle games on my GTX 1080. No stutter, no bizarre framerate drops, nope, just goodness all around. B/on hardcore this thing really, really comes to life. Each encounter is a strategic moment. It's addictive.

I just (IMO) believe the devs made a small mistake: they should have dropped the resolution & graphical quality on the base ps4 & Xbox One to the point whereby 60 fps was locked. The two consoles which most people will play this thing on feature a stutter, uneven 'unlocked' framerate between 35-55 (thereabouts) which feels far worse than locked 30 fps. Gears of War 4 & Uncharted 4 feel good & playable @ 30 fps on the same consoles. RE2 Remake feels way worse. It's a shame.

Nickolaidas

Banned
I must be one of the few people who doesn't really mind the grey. And I think it was an artistic choice (when you visit areas with light, the contrast is more 'normal').

ruvikx

Banned
I must be one of the few people who doesn't really mind the grey. And I think it was an artistic choice (when you visit areas with light, the contrast is more 'normal').

I accept the grey is an artistic choice to a certain extent (i.e. crushed blacks are bad), but its presence during loading screens (very grey instead of black) made me question my monitor & setup. Changing my RGB settings on my plasma from limited to full totally fixed the problem & my 3 brightness settings in-game are now working (the final setting is in the middle). I had the same problem in Alien Isolation on PC, for what it's worth, whereby under the wrong RGB setting the gamma level couldn't be adequately set (left side was never invisible, as advised).

It's also (IMO) a shame whereby the devs see their work dependent upon the variables of everyone's own individual set-up & quality of their screen. Back when these games were a bunch of pixels @ 512x240 (I can't even remember what RE2's resolution was on the ps1), all these tech concerns (image quality, color, contrast, brightness... even fps) weren't really a topic).

hivsteak

Not sure how I feel about the 4th Survivor mode so far. I only tried it twice, but I feel like I am supposed to get out a sheet of paper and write down every hallway/instance and perfectly plan the route. Not sure if that sounds fun to me or not.

Its not fun. Once you figure out the route its down to not getting grappled and saving all your grenades and some shotgun ammo for the final stretch outside the RPD.

Shifty

That's more or less it. Great fun for programmers and mathematicians :messenger_winking:

Though I found Tofu more replayable. Once you've nailed your perfect Hunk run there's not really much more to do other than optimize for time.

demigod

I actually got a headshot with 1 bullet on a policeman zombie when you exit the locker. I'm using Wesker's Samurai Edge.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Went through Claire A and got a bunch of challenges beat.

Carbon Footprint
All Mr Raccoons
Kill an Ivy by shooting just the bulbs
Spark Shot Kills
Escape Bedroom in 60 seconds as Sherry

Gotta do Ada's challenge and need to get the last weapon upgrade as Claire next.

DubReno

They only introduced chance pistol headshots in RE Remake. none of the classic games had pistol headshots.

Resident Evil 2 Dual Shock had that feature for Chris' handgun in extreme battle mode, and I also believe nightmare/hard difficulty on dreamcast/PC had random head pops since the zombies had metric fuck tons of health.

EDIT: Also Resident Evil 3 had random headshots with the sport pistol you got off Nemesis.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Resident Evil 2 Dual Shock had that feature for Chris' handgun in extreme battle mode, and I also believe nightmare/hard difficulty on dreamcast/PC had random head pops since the zombies had metric fuck tons of health.

EDIT: Also Resident Evil 3 had random headshots with the sport pistol you got off Nemesis.

Resident Evil Director's Cut had them. They've been around since almost the very beginning.

Shifty

That no heals achievement is quite the bastard. I probably didn't help myself by trying to speedrun at the same time, but good lord having to do the last two bosses of Leon A without taking a hit was like trying to play Dark Souls with a shotgun and no dodge roll.

Whoof.

kunonabi

I don't know about bonus modes and special weapons but I'm pretty sure DC didn't have it. They added it into Deadly Silent.

Nope, it was in the Playstation version too.

Anyhoo,

Finished my blueprint for my speedrun. Once I cut out the saves, and avoid any botches I should be able to get it under 1hr 20m for sure, Depending on how lucky I get with the plant spawns, library puzzle, and the third Birkin fight I could get it down even lower.

Edit: Looks like 1hr 4 is the record on PS4. I wonder if I'm lowballing how much time I wasted. If not, I'll have to see what everybody else is doing since I can't think of too much more fat to cut aside from maybe the kennel and licker lab room.

Edit2: Ah the hardcore time is actually around 1h 9minutes. That sounds much more doable. I could hit that with some effort

Last edited:
Are there any late 90s cultural references to really set the tone for the 1998 setting?

Like say Leon listening to "Truly Madly Deeply" on his car radio as he drives into Raccoon City? (that'd be pretty funny anyway)

How would zombies taking over a city have impacted media coverage of the Monica Lewinsky scandal? What would have been the bigger story of 1998?

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Nope, it was in the Playstation version too.

Anyhoo,

Finished my blueprint for my speedrun. Once I cut out the saves, and avoid any botches I should be able to get it under 1hr 20m for sure, Depending on how lucky I get with the plant spawns, library puzzle, and the third Birkin fight I could get it down even lower.

Edit: Looks like 1hr 4 is the record on PS4. I wonder if I'm lowballing how much time I wasted. If not, I'll have to see what everybody else is doing since I can't think of too much more fat to cut aside from maybe the kennel and licker lab room.

Edit2: Ah the hardcore time is actually around 1h 9minutes. That sounds much more doable. I could hit that with some effort
How do you deal with ammo? Just not use it?

I'm doing the no item box rn and with some management it's pretty easy on A Route if you grab the first two packs to increase your inventory in the first ten minutes of the game.

kunonabi

How do you deal with ammo? Just not use it?

I'm doing the no item box rn and with some management it's pretty easy on A Route if you grab the first two packs to increase your inventory in the first ten minutes of the game.

Yeah, I try to use as little as possible. Aside from various leg shots to stun enemies I think I only actually killed 10 enemies on this run. I could kill less but I was playing it safe. I actually end up with just enough ammo to beat the final two bosses. Well, assuming I dont miss too much on the 3rd Birkin fight anyway. I also use the knife for the first Birkin fight to save ammo.

Top Bottom