• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 1998 is still sublime

I played a random chunk of it for an hour, and everything still holds up. The graphics are in between being detailed and leaving room for the imagination. The gameplay is still immaculate, whenether you're shooting zombies down or solving a puzzle, or using tank controls to navigate between the pre rendered camera angles. The music is part of the game world in words I can't truly describe. It's like a character in itself. The characters are awesome and memorable, from the designs of the characters themselves to what they do in game. The story speaks for itself, that late 90's coolness is there in the cutscenes and in the game in general. tl dr RE2 the original is still one of the greats, a timeless classic for sure.

That game came out last year what are you on about?

WJ7ATEl.png

-Arcadia-

Banned
So nice to see a topic about someone enjoying gaming, instead of all the fucking constant console warring.

My shame is that I'm a huge RE fan, but never got to play original 2 and 3. I absolutely loved the remake of 2, and looking at videos of the original, it seems to be everything you say.

At some point, I really want to find a way to play this, and sit down for another magical round of classic RE. I feel kind of fortunate to still have two of the classics left to play, in a way.

bender

What time is it?
So nice to see a topic about someone enjoying gaming, instead of all the fucking constant console warring.

My shame is that I'm a huge RE fan, but never got to play original 2 and 3. I absolutely loved the remake of 2, and looking at videos of the original, it seems to be everything you say.

At some point, I really want to find a way to play this, and sit down for another magical round of classic RE. I feel kind of fortunate to still have two of the classics left to play, in a way.

RE2 is a must. RE3 while good, is where the series downturn happened. Code Veronica is where the series really started to show its' age. The dip in quality isn't as drastic as RE4 (amazing), RE5 (good), RE6 (WTF). That makes me really curious about RE:Village. If we follow the normal cycle, it should be the good middle ground after the excellent RE7.

Yea I've noticed alot of the console warring going on on GAF, it is pretty repulsive and kept me away from engaging the site for a time.

As for not playing the original 2 and 3, lucky! I'd love to re experience the classic REs fresh again if I could. I have a saying about survival horror games that goes something like this: You survive the 1st playthrough, and enjoy the 2nd playthrough, because during the 1st playthrough you're still figuring the game out fresh, from figuring out the puzzles to learning the map of the game, how to beat or escape enemies, etc. but on replays of the game, since all these things are figured out already, you can shut your brain off and casually enjoy the game from that point onwards. Even the scary parts don't scare anymore because you've already experienced them

Awesome OST as well, I play Remake 2 with the original OST and I can't imagine playing without.

The 1 shot lickers that jump from off screen in the original are still bs though.

-Arcadia-

Banned
RE2 is a must. RE3 while good, is where the series downturn happened. Code Veronica is where the series really started to show its' age. The dip in quality isn't as drastic as RE4 (amazing), RE5 (good), RE6 (WTF). That makes me really curious about RE:Village. If we follow the normal cycle, it should be the good middle ground after the excellent RE7.

I started with Code Veronica, and love it, lol. I guess that's a unique perspective to have, but when you're coming to RE for the first time, on your brand new, cutting-edge Dreamcast, and wacky Japanese stories are the order of the day, it was an absolutely wonderful horror experience.

bender

What time is it?
I started with Code Veronica, and love it, lol. I guess that's a unique perspective to have, but when you're coming to RE for the first time, on your brand new, cutting-edge Dreamcast, and wacky Japanese stories are the order of the day, it was an absolutely wonderful horror experience.

Bought it on the Dreamcast, got it for free on the PS2 with the $50.00 DMC demo. :p

Last edited:
The OG is far superior than the remake. I love the first point you make in that many of the backgrounds leave a lot to the imagination. That was one of the many reasons why I loved it as a kid - and still do. Many times I would ponder what the other side of the police station would look like or how apprehensive I would feel when hearing a zombie moan outside; in addition to the god-tier soundtrack which only adds on to the atmosphere and experience. Remake does nothing of that. There’s no wonder or sense of discovery or feelings of apprehension; the city designs outside the station look lazy and uninspired, and the soundtrack is nonexistent and tragic. Not to mention no zapper system and the ending of the game is lame as hell.

Remake 2, as a game, is fun and the character models are gorgeous, but it doesn’t come close to reaching the highs of Re2 OG.

Kev Kev

agreed

as much as i loved the remake, the zombies were a problem for me (which is a pretty big part of the game lol). they lunged way way too far, sometimes they would even do a quick second lunge, so even if you managed to get away from the first lunge they threw at you from a mile away, they would throw a second one at you, and sometimes a third!

additionally they were way too hard to kill. i had one in the ground and no lie i was shooting it in the head over and over and over and it got back up like 3 times before i downed it.

wtf!? it should take two or three head shots maybe. insane how annoying the zombies were in that game. i never even completed a second run through because i got so fed up with it. didn't even play 3 remake because of complaints i heard about the length and Nemesis being annoying to avoid. fuck that i'm good.

the original however? i've player those over and over and they never get old. love it

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Overall I still prefer the very first RE a bit more than 2 due to the atmosphere but it is still one of the greatest sequels ever. And Capcom made is so god damn replayable with just a simple trick. I wish more of todays games would be like that instead of the bloated crap we are getting.

Tesseract

Banned
models were a huge leap over the original, shading improved w / most dithering eliminated, fmvs locked to 30 fps

better mechanics, levels, modes, pace, story ...

capcom has always been rough around the edges but when they knock one out, it's usually a stunner

Reactions: MrS

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The OST is a classic, all right.

I like RE2, but at the time I didn’t like the shift in tone and action from RE1. Maybe RE1 was far too easy in retrospect, but I feel the mansion was a better setting for the puzzles, and the atmosphere was something else. Also the damage animations were a nice touch, but disastrous gameplay-wise. You have simply no chance to beat a boss if you fall to Danger zone and have no healing items.

I like how fast those games were. Your character would just fly from one screen to the next compared to over-the-shoulder RE.

Dark Rider

RE2 original on the PS1 is the definitive version of the game, and yes as you said it is indeed sublime.
RE2 remake was a let down for me and a downgrade.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Easily top 3 for me, and I'm glad you mentioned the soundtrack. It's one of a select few that I choose to listen to (others include Ocarina and Streets of Rage).

2's Remake was good in its own way, but the original is forever fantastic for me.

awesome back then, great year

but like all old games, once you free yourself from nostalgia you see all the shortcomings, like laggy controls, bad framerates, laughable boxy models, bad textures etc...

most art is a product of its own time, very few are timeless...

geordiemp

Just stopped playing half way through RE2 remake, I just got the hand crank and got back to the foyeur where the police guy turned and had 2 shotgun bullets left to kill him....

I have been playing just doing head shots and clearing each area from Zombies like most games - I play cos I enjoy headshotting zombies.

After the generator room last half hour was just running past enemies as I have no bullets left. Its doable but NOT ENJOYABLE.

I have all the things like tyhings I should have up to his point like muzzle extension, stock and shogun but no other guns have shown up yet.

I did a quick read on internet and it says I should not of been killing zombies and just running past. That is not the game I thought it was.

Disappointed, maybe RE4 and Evil within are more suited to my tastes, I get no enjoyment out of rnning past enemies backtracking to do puzzles.

Last edited:

sainraja

The original games were definitely amazing in their own right. I played them backwards though! lol I started with RE3 > RE2 > RE1 and if I were to include Capcom's other survival horror series, it was more like RE3 > DC1 > RE2 > RE1 > DC2 etc.

ahmyleg

Banned

Uh, buy a ps1, ps2, dreamcast, gamecube, etc? Or the other route...

fart town usa

Gold Member
Oh for sure, I've been playing all scenarios at least once a year for the last 15+ years.

Gotta also comment on RE 96, that game holds up great too. RE 1 - CVX hold up phenomenally. People may not enjoy the way the games control and whatnot but when it comes to gameplay, they're all nearly flawless. Being bad at the games does not mean the games are bad themselves. OG fans know what's up.

fart town usa

Gold Member

They're all available on the PSN, PS3 for sure, not sure if PS4 has PSX games available.

RE1 - CVX are straight up classic games, don't believe people who talk bad about Nemesis or CVX. If you've played the first REmake, you definitely should check out the originals.

MrA

Banned
They're all available on the PSN, PS3 for sure, not sure if PS4 has PSX games available.

RE1 - CVX are straight up classic games, don't believe people who talk bad about Nemesis or CVX. If you've played the first REmake, you definitely should check out the originals.
I wish capcom would issue a collection of the first games , I think the remakes are fantastic (well nemesis is a little to light on content, but plays great so it sticks out more) the originals are different and still excellent experiences.

nkarafo

Maybe something slightly on topic:

While it's an impressive port, people tend to overestimate the "2 CDs" part. Both CDs mostly had the same assets in them. I also recently read that the game could fit in one CD and the only reason it shipped in two was some kind of miscalculation that was too late to fix.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
RE1 still better. Better soundtrack and atmosphere still.

2 was too sci-fi. Really disappointing intro IMO.

But I agree it's an amazing game.
I do have a super soft spot for the original but at the end of the day I would say both are on the same level. Just a bit different.

RE2 is one of the greatest sequels ever made just because of that. It went a more action heavy way compared to the original but managed to remain just as good as the original.

Top Bottom