• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republic Of Gamers(ROG) Phone 6|6 pro is up for pre-order in US, $999, 16 or 18GB RAM, AMOLED 165hrz, Snapdragon 8 plus, releases OCT.20th

$999 for the base ROG Phone 6, $1,299 for the ROG Phone 6 Pro with 18GB of RAM.
https://www.theverge.com/2022/9/8/23342614/asus-rog-6-gaming-phone-preorder-north-america
Asus has made its new ROG Phone 6 and Phone 6 Pro available for preorder in North America after the initial launch in the UK and Europe. The latest version of this gaming-centric smartphone is equipped with the Snapdragon 8 Plus Gen 1 processor, which is a souped-up version of the same CPU shared by many current-gen flagship Android devices like the Samsung S22 Lineup and OnePlus 10. The ROG Phone 6 also has some additional hardware to cement its status as a go-to device for mobile gaming, which includes a minimum of 12GB of RAM and a 165Hz refresh rate screen with a resolution of 2448 x 1080.

The standard ROG Phone 6 is available in two different configurations. The base model, priced at $999, is equipped with 12GB of RAM and 256GB of storage. The upgraded version, priced at $1,099, expands on that with 16GB of RAM and 512GB of storage. The ROG Phone 6 Pro includes 18GB of RAM and 512GB of onboard storage but is otherwise identical to the standard models; however, it sports a higher $1,299 price tag.

All models of the ROG Phone 6 have a 6.78-inch OLED display that’s compatible with HDR10 Plus. The ROG Phone 6 lineup is available in either black or white colorways, which naturally come equipped with plenty of RGB lighting to broadcast your gamer status to everyone around you.

he gamer status of the ROG Phone 6 also extends to its robust ecosystem of accessories also accompanies the launch of the ROG Phone 6, including a dedicated controller and an active cooling system. The ROG Kunai 3 gamepad is a cleverly designed peripheral that mirrors Nintendo’s Joy-Con controllers for the Nintendo Switch. The controllers can either be used as a standalone system or clipped to the ROG Phone 6 with its included case. The Kunai 3 has all the same inputs you’d find on your standard dual analog stick controller, in addition to a pair of back paddle inputs. The Kunai 3 is currently available through the ASUS storefront for $149.99.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BC58LSG3/?tag=neogaf0e-20 12GB
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BC56LRJB/?tag=neogaf0e-20 16GB
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BC5HPRT5/?tag=neogaf0e-20 PRO
ROG_Phone_6.0.jpg

ROG_Kunai_3.jpg

Specs​

ROG 6 PRO
  • Body: 173.0 x 77.0 x10.3 mm, 239g; Glass front (Gorilla Glass Victus), glass back (Gorilla Glass 3), aluminum frame; IPX4 water resistant, PMOLED display (on the back), Pressure sensitive zones (Gaming triggers).
  • Display: 6.78" AMOLED, 1B colors, 165Hz, HDR10+, 800 nits (typ), 1200 nits (peak), 1080x2448px resolution, 20.4:9 aspect ratio, 395ppi.
  • Chipset: Qualcomm SM8450 Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 (4 nm): Octa-core (1x3.19 GHz Cortex-X2 & 3x2.75 GHz Cortex-A710 & 4x1.80 GHz Cortex-A510); Adreno 730.
  • Memory: Up to 512GB 18GB RAM; UFS 3.1, NTFS support for external storage.
  • OS/Software: Android 12.
  • Rear camera: Wide (main): 50 MP, f/1.9, PDAF; Ultra wide angle: 13 MP, f/2.2; Macro: 5 MP, f/2.0.
  • Front camera: 12 MP (wide).
  • Video capture: Rear camera: 8K@24fps, 4K@30/60/120fps, 1080p@30/60/120/240fps, 720p@480fps; gyro-EIS; Front camera: 1080p@30fps.
  • Battery: 6000mAh; Fast charging 65W, Reverse charging 10W, Power Delivery 3.0, Quick Charge 5.

A bit too costly for me, but I believe these specs are over kill. Snapdragon 8 plus Octacore with 12-18GB of RAM? You don't need 18GB of RAM for any phone game i can think of, words with friends and Asphalt can run on a prepaid Samsung of $200.

It's a powerful phone and some people here may be interested in it, but imo not sure it's worth the price when there aren't many (of any) games or other apps that will take advantage of that power. I think that's the issue with these gaming phones racing to the bottom with these expensive highly priced gaming phones, and with streaming slowly taking off which doesn't require the best hardware it's even more questionable.

The design looks better than the previous ones though, and if you don't mind cost you may go for it, but I think we are in the territory where the power of the phone greatly exceeds the software and apps available.

I wish Android phone makers would stop trying to get people to pay Apple prices for their phones. Its not going to work, it has never worked, and Samsung is the only Android phone maker competing with Apple at this point.

To be fair, these internals seem rather expensive, all the gaming phones seem to cost an arm and a leg for this reason. My issue is that what games actually support these phones? Or even apps?

$999 for the base ROG Phone 6, $1,299 for the ROG Phone 6 Pro with 18GB of RAM.
https://www.theverge.com/2022/9/8/23342614/asus-rog-6-gaming-phone-preorder-north-america

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BC58LSG3/?tag=neogaf0e-20 12GB
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BC56LRJB/?tag=neogaf0e-20 16GB
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BC5HPRT5/?tag=neogaf0e-20 PRO
ROG_Phone_6.0.jpg

ROG_Kunai_3.jpg

Specs​

ROG 6 PRO
  • Body: 173.0 x 77.0 x10.3 mm, 239g; Glass front (Gorilla Glass Victus), glass back (Gorilla Glass 3), aluminum frame; IPX4 water resistant, PMOLED display (on the back), Pressure sensitive zones (Gaming triggers).
  • Display: 6.78" AMOLED, 1B colors, 165Hz, HDR10+, 800 nits (typ), 1200 nits (peak), 1080x2448px resolution, 20.4:9 aspect ratio, 395ppi.
  • Chipset: Qualcomm SM8450 Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 (4 nm): Octa-core (1x3.19 GHz Cortex-X2 & 3x2.75 GHz Cortex-A710 & 4x1.80 GHz Cortex-A510); Adreno 730.
  • Memory: Up to 512GB 18GB RAM; UFS 3.1, NTFS support for external storage.
  • OS/Software: Android 12.
  • Rear camera: Wide (main): 50 MP, f/1.9, PDAF; Ultra wide angle: 13 MP, f/2.2; Macro: 5 MP, f/2.0.
  • Front camera: 12 MP (wide).
  • Video capture: Rear camera: 8K@24fps, 4K@30/60/120fps, 1080p@30/60/120/240fps, 720p@480fps; gyro-EIS; Front camera: 1080p@30fps.
  • Battery: 6000mAh; Fast charging 65W, Reverse charging 10W, Power Delivery 3.0, Quick Charge 5.

A bit too costly for me, but I believe these specs are over kill. Snapdragon 8 plus Octacore with 12-18GB of RAM? You don't need 18GB of RAM for any phone game i can think of, words with friends and Asphalt can run on a prepaid Samsung of $200.

It's a powerful phone and some people here may be interested in it, but imo not sure it's worth the price when there aren't many (of any) games or other apps that will take advantage of that power. I think that's the issue with these gaming phones racing to the bottom with these expensive highly priced gaming phones, and with streaming slowly taking off which doesn't require the best hardware it's even more questionable.

The design looks better than the previous ones though, and if you don't mind cost you may go for it, but I think we are in the territory where the power of the phone greatly exceeds the software and apps available.
Damn high end phones already have more RAM than consoles. Took way less time for it to happen this gen but it makes sense cause Xbox went from 12GB with the One X to 16GB for the Series X so ram barely increased.

Mister Wolf

Really, is it nice? Looking for a new phone all year because of a screen crack. Currently rocking my dad's old S9, lol.

Yeah. I loaded up with kindle for my light novels, manga, and comics I want to read. Watching videos with it is also great especially if you have a case with a kickstand.

Ozriel

M$FT
Damn high end phones already have more RAM than consoles. Took way less time for it to happen this gen but it makes sense cause Xbox went from 12GB with the One X to 16GB for the Series X so ram barely increased.

Or rather it makes sense since the phones cost twice as much as the flagship consoles, with much cheaper CPU/GPUs.

Never understood the use case for gaming phones. This phone apparently has more RAM and a higher refresh rate than normal phones. But with mobile gaming, this basically doesn't matter. Most mobile games run at a set refresh rate (usually 30 or 60 fps) and use a low amount of RAM (handful of gigs at the very most).

Graciaus

I think I paid $1,000 for the s22+ and that phone is the biggest piece of shit I've ever owned. Not spending that much on a phone ever again.

Never understood the use case for gaming phones. This phone apparently has more RAM and a higher refresh rate than normal phones. But with mobile gaming, this basically doesn't matter. Most mobile games run at a set refresh rate (usually 30 or 60 fps) and use a low amount of RAM (handful of gigs at the very most).
This raises the question, what is the most demanding mobile game currently? And wouldn't those games benchmark it specs with the most popular phone anyway?

On one hand I welcome phone brands like this. Apple Google and Samsung have over manufactured phone camera tech which has blinded them to improve anything else in their devices (can we say call quality has improve just as equally as camera sensor?)

But it still remains that a phone with 16gb ram has no applications that would benefit from it.

drotahorror

Who are these gaming phones for? PUBG Mobile competitive players or some shit? Totally don't understand the appeal, no phone game seems that demanding (or fun either).

This raises the question, what is the most demanding mobile game currently? And wouldn't those games benchmark it specs with the most popular phone anyway?

On one hand I welcome phone brands like this. Apple Google and Samsung have over manufactured phone camera tech which has blinded them to improve anything else in their devices (can we say call quality has improve just as equally as camera sensor?)

But it still remains that a phone with 16gb ram has no applications that would benefit from it.
Apple, Google and even Samsung in some extent use Sony lens.

Skifi28

What's the point of so much ram on a phone? They can put 64gb, still won't make any difference unless it's running windows games.

Ceadeus

There is also the RedMagic 7S plus phone with similar spec and the only phone with a cooling fan. It's cheaper than the ROG.

You can customize your gaming experience via a dedicated button that opens the gaming UI.

It's pretty damn cool tbh.

Or rather it makes sense since the phones cost twice as much as the flagship consoles, with much cheaper CPU/GPUs.
Everything is more expensive but flagship phones have always been way more expensive than consoles. Also a phone doesn't have necessarily have a cheaper CPU/GPU specially a high end one.

I wish Android phone makers would stop trying to get people to pay Apple prices for their phones. Its not going to work, it has never worked, and Samsung is the only Android phone maker competing with Apple at this point.
But quite a few of them use the same parts that Samsung does :pie_thinking:

Doczu

ryan reynolds hd GIF

Are there any mobile games that would ever use that power before the thing gets obsolete system wise or by battery death?

Seriously. I remember the times where mobile games tried to push graphics - many android and apple games were bonkers in that regard but now the market went for shitty freemium games that would run on your android fridge.

Theres only like 5-10 heavy hitters and most of them are ports of pc/console games.

But yeah, "gamers" need their phones to look like their shitty pc towers now, with hardware, design and rgb lightning.

Are there any mobile games that would ever use that power before the thing gets obsolete system wise or by battery death?

Seriously. I remember the times where mobile games tried to push graphics - many android and apple games were bonkers in that regard but now the market went for shitty freemium games that would run on your android fridge.

Theres only like 5-10 heavy hitters and most of them are ports of pc/console games.

But yeah, "gamers" need their phones to look like their shitty pc towers now, with hardware, design and rgb lightning.

Some have fans in them to.

According to this https://www.thegamer.com/android-mobile-games-best-graphics/ the top 5 most demanding mobile games are

• Ark Survival Evolved
  • Genshin Impact
  • Real Racing 3
  • Shadowgun Legends
  • Fortnite

if this is true, then gaming phones have been pointless for the last 5 years because you don't need any lenovo, Or ZTE Nubia magic, Asus Rog, or Razer phone to run any of those games at the max you can run them on a full HD or a 2k screen, any internal specs being powerful or pointless because the games aren't made for those specs.

Gaming phones themselves almost seem to be a scam. The only real reason to buy them is for very powerful emulation of machines like the Xbox, GameCube, and recently the 360. Otherwise there's really no point, and they struggle with games on those consoles too its not perfect.

But the actual makers of these phones are now making them for emulation, they are making them for Fortnite which is strange.

Genx3

This is cheaper than the Galaxy Ultra S22 I currently own.
Wonder how good the camera and screen are. The Camera and screen on the S22 Ultra are glorious.

Top Bottom