• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

REPORT: The Elder Scrolls VI Is Planned as an Xbox Exclusive

Do you still think es6 will come to other than pc and Xbox?

• Yes

Votes: 75 15.0%
  • No

Votes: 425 85.0%

• Total voters

Fredrik

The PS4 version outsold the xbox one version but a large margin, the PS3 version was terrible so that hindered sales on that platform.
Are you talking about Skyrim? I guess it’s possible considering how big the platform is but all I’ve seen are old vgchartz numbers and that could just as well be us guessing, it’s not based on any real figures. I’ve seen a figure of 30 million total on all platforms though which might be official numbers. But no platform split. And I’ve seen people saying it sold way more on Xbox and PC than Playstation but can’t find any source on that, might refer to 360 vs PS3 I guess.

Anyway, people should expect Xbox and PC exclusivity on everything from Bethesda going forward unless official word says otherwise.

Dr Bass

There's too many assumptions in there to even try to have a discussion about.
No there aren't. You guys are not paying attention.

This is all recent news, and came out in the Epic vs. Apple trial where you basically, you know .... HAVE to tell the truth. The link talks about hardware in the headline but it's related to the fact that the only way MS is making money through the MS division is the 30% cut on games sold. GP is still a money sink.

So yeah, none of this is new news, none of it is surprising and NONE of this is on topic so I am bowing out on this one here. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Oh yeah, just to stay on topic: duh.

Kokoloko85

I dont think it will come to PS5 but who knows, by then MS might be tired of the sales numbers gamepass brings and wants some extra money.
Its not like these games are cheap, in about 3-4 years the MS board might want some larger profits from these big games

Last edited:

Noxxera

Wouldnt surprise me if it came to Xbox, PC only. Maybe PS later? Who know? No one for now except the people in charge of deciding that

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Hey RIKY, passive aggressively trying to laugh at my post when I stated NOTHING but the most logical conclusion to this argument is weak and it just goes to show how many of you are simply fanboys. I get it, I didn’t say what you wanted to hear.

The director of the game himself says the game is far from being released and may not even be released this gen. So I’ll ask, why is this discussion even relevant? It’s in the link.

The entire ecosystem of gaming could be different by the time they release Elder Scrolls.

Contemplating if it will be exclusive at this time is pointless.

I don't think this is accurate at all. The game has been deep into development for several years with a lot of resources. It will hit this gen and it will be on Xbox/pc. Nothing drastic is going to happen in the meantime as implied, ms isn't going to suddenly be a developer for Nintendo or Sony, especially with the AAA properties they just bought primarily as exclusives. So talking about this now is relevant. I'd be shocked if this doesn't make it.

Last edited:
Do you honestly think they have 20 million active people paying 10 dollars a month? I know you said "at msrp" but I would be shocked.

Most of the diehard GP fans here even state that you should be doing the 1 dollar conversion. Then if you are on GP "ultimate" youre paying less overall as well.

Would be an interesting poll to see how current GP holders here have paid for it, via a monthly payment or they did the conversion trick.

MS has stated GP doesn't make them money, and it won't for awhile. So yeah ...
GAF is not representative of the general gaming audience. According to Amazon, most people buy monthly subscriptions (PS Plus 1 month card always at the top despite being a terrible deal imo) which makes sense because it costs the least amount of money upfront. Very few people want to spend 180 dollars up front for the 1 dollar conversion trick.

That article you linked doesn't say that GP doesn't make money. It says that, a year ago, GP was not optimized for maximizing profits. That's an entirely different statement.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
While I agree with you overall, Minecraft Dungeons released on PS4 in 2020.
True.. I also imagine MS just likes having Microsoft/Xbox branding being shown to young kids no matter where they play. They've been trying to get Microsoft branded products in schools for decades to topple the Mac dominance there which has always been a bit of a "young person mindshare" battle.

MS is also releasing Skyrim for PS5 of course.. and continuing to support ESO.. but I just really doubt they'll do the same for ES6.

Either way my point still stands even if they do. Exclusives are valuable, they are kept exclusive despite the fact they might "sell more" if multi-play for a reason.. and that reason is.. to make money lol

Last edited:
Are you for real? Do you think Sony will release Uncharted on Xbox anytime soon? Would it make Sony money? Sure. Does that mean they will do it?

Microsoft owns 100% of Bethesda. They therefor own Elder Scrolls, like they own Halo or Gears of War.
It is a Microsoft IP.

They never owned Tomb Raider or Square Enix - that was a timed deal

There is NO WAY a new Elder Scrolls comes to Playstation.

Get over it
That's not the point. the point is: Have MS formally and plainly stated those games will never release on PS5? If not then they can do whatever they want in the future, say, one or 2 years after their release on Xbox and PC.

BTW MS own 100% Minecraft. In a world when Sony are releasing their precious IPs on PC to make a few pennies, the concept of exclusivity is losing its value.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Last edited:

Banned
breaking news GIF

We hear new reports coming from our correspondence at the Pacific Ocean. We have now confirmation that the water in said ocean is indeed wet!

More at 11.

Last edited:

Mozza

I'd be willing to bet it's timed exclusivity.

But, I might totally be wrong. It's a cutthroat industry. Money money money.
I would say you are wrong, Microsoft make a tonne of money from other avenues, the gaming division can lose as much as they want.

93xfan

Banned
The same can be said for anyone in this thread stating that it is, and always will be, Xbox/PC exclusive. Everything said in here, including what I’ve said, is not confirmation or assertion, it’s speculation.

My mistake. Thought I saw a post where you said it was coming. Sorry about that

Star-Lord

My mistake. Thought I saw a post where you said it was coming. Sorry about that
I’ve not once said for definite it’s coming to PS5, only speculating that it will eventually, much in the same vein as Tomb Raider. Slightly different scenario as MS don’t actually own Square Enix, but it could happen.

I dont think it will come to PS5 but who knows, by then MS might be tired of the sales numbers gamepass brings and wants some extra money.
Its not like these games are cheap, in about 3-4 years the MS board might want some larger profits from these big games
Lol 😂 wouldn’t this be the opposite that by then gamepass will be more profitable and bigger and Microsoft will have no incentive to put their games on anything but their ecosystem hence why they are doing this to increase their user base vs making more dollars now.

Godot25

Banned
So you think M$ overpaid for a company to lose value once it's purchased??? I don't think yall understand how bad a business decision that is...

M$ literally bought a company to lose money according to you and you believe this because Phil Spencer said so? M$ does make terrible business decisions but the reason you purchase a company is to make your money back as quickly as possible for investors. Investors go through the law often try to go after companies for making business decisions like this.
You really think Microsoft overpaid Bethesda after EA bought Codemasters for 1,2 billion?

Look. It's easy. Microsoft wants money but though their own ecosystem. Not by making their games available on Playstation.

Because if Microsoft will release TES VI and Starfield on PS 5 they can release Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5 also, since they are first party games too...

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Lol 😂 wouldn’t this be the opposite that by then gamepass will be more profitable and bigger and Microsoft will have no incentive to put their games on anything but their ecosystem hence why they are doing this to increase their user base vs making more dollars now.

Or maybe gamepass isnt doing the numbers they want to by then and its wasting more money. Maybe games like Halo, Starfield and so on don’t bring in the numbers they expect

Leyasu

Banned
Do you honestly think they have 20 million active people paying 10 dollars a month? I know you said "at msrp" but I would be shocked.

Most of the diehard GP fans here even state that you should be doing the 1 dollar conversion. Then if you are on GP "ultimate" youre paying less overall as well.

Would be an interesting poll to see how current GP holders here have paid for it, via a monthly payment or they did the conversion trick.

MS has stated GP doesn't make them money, and it won't for awhile. So yeah ...
They could well have 20m subs, they could be well below it also. Without numbers it is impossible to say.

Doing a poll on here is useless.

I just don't see the Bethesda purchase as a positive purchase for MS in fact that's why the media thought initially there is no way they are purchasing Bethesda to make big titles exclusive to Xbox.

Sony doesn't generate much money from games only about 2 billion. I do believe Sony is going to make a big push on Multiplayer games.
Agreed, but for both Manufacturers neither of them make money on the consoles. The more games and services they have the better it is for business. Also 2 Billion is not small bananas, that's a huge number, however we seem to be desensitized as the industry grows exponentially. Overall, the Bethesda purchase was a good one. Microsoft received a massive amount of original franchises, Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake, The Elder Scrolls, Prey and newer ones like Starfield, Dishonored, and Deathloop. Granted they are all FPS, but there's a good chance that MS will allow them to expand the catalog to games that aren't primarily FPS.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Hey RIKY, passive aggressively trying to laugh at my post when I stated NOTHING but the most logical conclusion to this argument is weak and it just goes to show how many of you are simply fanboys. I get it, I didn’t say what you wanted to hear.

The director of the game himself says the game is far from being released and may not even be released this gen. So I’ll ask, why is this discussion even relevant? It’s in the link.

The entire ecosystem of gaming could be different by the time they release Elder Scrolls.

Contemplating if it will be exclusive at this time is pointless.
The 'not ready this gen' quote is from 2018 and is referring to the PS4/One generation.

Derktron

Banned
WELL IF CAPTAIN OBVIOUS WAS A PERSON HE WOULD BE THE MILLIONS OF FANBOYS WHO ARE STUPID ENOUGH TO EVEN THINK THAT MICROSOFT WOULD SPEND 7 BILLION DOLLARS ON A DAMN COMPANY LIKE BETHESDA AND THINK TO EVEN PUT GAMES ON PLAYSTATION OR NINTENDO. --------------------Unless they are stupid enough and end up shooting the foot and add that.

That bolded part is a reference to Microsoft. Of course the company is going to be ok. They subsidize Xbox with earnings from the rest of the company. No one should pay attention to that at all if they are asking questions about the performance of the games division. Greenberg is being silly there.

And they still don't make profit on GP, they would say if they do. They are silent on subscriber numbers recently, revenue, and no profit. Even insider MS people acknowledge this recently. So nothing has changed, it's only been a year since that article has posted, things don't move that quickly.

Considering they're in the growth phase it would be terrible strategy to just accept the profits from Game Pass, they're reinvesting all that money back into Game Pass so they can get more people hooked into the ecosystem and much more money in the long term. So yeah Game Pass probably isn't profitable right now, but not for the reasons you seem to think.

Derktron

Banned
If that happens Xbox is going to die immediately after they do that. Elders Scrolls is one of the biggest games from that studio. If they add that to PlayStation. Then Xbox will become the next SEGA at the disaster they would cause of this happening. That is like Versace putting their clothing brand at Walmart. -- I can just imagine the disaster this will cause if this happens. Microsoft is on thin ice at this point because even their messaging is as bad as Sony.

GAF is not representative of the general gaming audience. According to Amazon, most people buy monthly subscriptions (PS Plus 1 month card always at the top despite being a terrible deal imo) which makes sense because it costs the least amount of money upfront. Very few people want to spend 180 dollars up front for the 1 dollar conversion trick.

That article you linked doesn't say that GP doesn't make money. It says that, a year ago, GP was not optimized for maximizing profits. That's an entirely different statement.
Thats how I use netflix.. I buy a monthly sub for 1-2 months and then I don't pay anything until the next year I actually do this with multiple (video) services.

My brother has gamepass for his xbox one and he is pretty much the same way, he gets a sub for a couple months and then he dosen't use for the rest of the year .

yurinka

Who knows, we'll see a year after its original release. If it ends being a timed exclusive it would be announced then, not now.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Very odd decision if it is an Xbox/PC exclusive.

Before I'm attacked, let me just say that I'll be getting it regardless (on XSX), so this isn't a fanboy comment.

Elder Scrolls has been a huge hit on PS and also the Switch. I know people think that making it an Xbox exclusive translates into more consoles sold, but ESVI is so far away that this generation will be in its twilight by the time it's released. At that point, we may have a new Nintendo console (Switch 2?) and the PS5 could be approaching 100 million consoles sold or more. That's potentially a lot of money to leave on the table by keeping it MS exclusive.

Then there is the fact that Microsoft really don't care about consoles. They only care about selling software and subscriptions. If the aim is to make the 7billion back that they paid for Bethesda (not including the thousands of extra staff that need paying, general running of office's and other expenses), then making sure one of the biggest multiplats of all time stays multiplat would be a good way to recoup costs.

However, I think there is a way Microsoft could afford to make ES6 an MS exclusive and still make bank.......

Gamepass exclusive.

What I mean is the game is only available with a Gamepass sub and not available to buy digitally/physically, kinda like some shows/films are exclusive to Netflix, Prime, Disney etc. Make it so ES6 can only be played with a Gamepass sub and millions upon millions would sign up .

Options are good, but to really make bank Microsoft should make ESVI and all other exclusive games only available via Gamepass.

Irobot82

I don't really remember the last console wars but did it really last this long? This forum really needs to start clamping down on this crap.

Or maybe gamepass isnt doing the numbers they want to by then and its wasting more money. Maybe games like Halo, Starfield and so on don’t bring in the numbers they expect
Sounds like wishful thinking or wanting the service to fail just for port begging? Halo infinite is not out neither is star field and game pass is over 20 million how’s that not going to get bigger?

Alebrije

That was obvious, Microsoft got Bethesda for exclusives not to share IPs with Sony and Nintendo....even if they could get money would be crazy to put Next Fallout or Elders S. games on PS5 this generation...maybe we could see them on PS6 if Microsoft changes its mind.

No there aren't. You guys are not paying attention.

This is all recent news, and came out in the Epic vs. Apple trial where you basically, you know .... HAVE to tell the truth. The link talks about hardware in the headline but it's related to the fact that the only way MS is making money through the MS division is the 30% cut on games sold. GP is still a money sink.

So yeah, none of this is new news, none of it is surprising and NONE of this is on topic so I am bowing out on this one here. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Oh yeah, just to stay on topic: duh.

Lol I've been trying to tell them M$ is just throwing money away making terrible business decisions.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The same old "Bethesda games will be on PlayStation" silliness.

77ac42ed69a17c153a19db04e3acb643.jpg
Isn't this a bit pre-emptive? Lot can change in the 5-7 years its gonna take for Elder Scrolls to come out.

Are people bored?

Even if they said Elder Scrolls was coming to PS5 eventually...wouldn't one still have to take this with a huge grain of salt? Shit changes.

Deathloop was supposed to be PS5 and PC exclusive...to my knowledge that's no longer the case right? Of course there was 7 billion dollars shoved somewhere in there, but who's counting?

Last edited:
Top Bottom