• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Sony overhauling PlayStation Plus with new tiers and streaming

Mabdia

Can't care less about the service. But could be really awesome have my PS1 games to play on my PS4. On top of that, could be really nice have the option to get some PS2 and PS3 gems.

Gamerguy84

Just messing around on PSNOW and was filtering results. PS5 games are now an option and I don't remember it being there before.

No games listed yet but this is a "hmmm" moment.

csOXgHX.jpg

Last edited:
Jim Ryan, CEO of PlayStation, market leader since decades, since the start of this generation, when it comes to
BC
PC ports
Cross gen
Gaming subscriptions
Cloud
PqXIMLx.gif
The delusional mental gymnastics....

The only thing Microsoft came out with first was paying to play online with Xbox live and PC ports, although Sony closed their PC studio shortly after last gen began. Playstation came out with everything first you listed though.

Psn now was the first game streaming service on consoles. Part of the reason why they started the cloud service was because the ps4 wasnt hardware backwards compatible. Ps plus was the first service to give out free games per month, and older Sony consoles already had backwards compatibility. What Microsoft did do was take notes, and took advantage of their cloud streaming capabilities to leverage gamepass, which was a necessity to regain loss market share.

leo-j

Just messing around on PSNOW and was filtering results. PS5 games is now an option and I don't remember it being there before.

No games listed yet but this is a "hmmm" moment.

csOXgHX.jpg
I am totally expecting them to add ps5 games this upcoming no month or the following month.

Soosa

Banned
PS+ like it now is perfect to me, it is cheap, usually 30-40€/12 months so it is basically free. There are always at least few games yearly that I like, usually more, I have had it since 2013 so I have hundreds of games in my library, even if I dont ever play them.

So I dont have need to get service like gamepass. It is usually cheaper to buy used games and resell them, or just wait for sales, than pay relatively expensive service monthly that doesnt include all games anyway.

For series x I got the gamepass, but only because I got 36 months for 97€ total by using few tricks. For it's regular price I would never pay it as it is too expensive, but for ~33€/year it is really nice deal.

And owning even one system will mean that most people wont have time to play all the games they want to, yet alone owing all current gen systems.

like if there would be free gamepass ultimate + similar free service for ps5, I still probably would not have time to play more games than now.

But if they add more options and keep the original ps+, then why not.

For series x I got the gamepass, but only because I got 36 months for 97€ total by using few tricks. For it's regular price I would never pay it as it is too expensive, but for ~33€/year it is really nice deal.
I'm with you. I'll probably won't subscribe. But looking back high school and even college, I would have probably subscribe if it existed then. I think subscription service will find its own market.

If they include day 1 discount on games, then I'd probably sub.

And owning even one system will mean that most people wont have time to play all the games they want to, yet alone owing all current gen systems.
I think it's the f2P games across all systems that get the most playtime.

But if they add more options and keep the original ps+, then why not.
It's really smart that Sony is building their gamepass-esque subscription on top of the already existing 40-50 million PS+.

The similar naming scheme will allow Sony to report that they have the biggest subscription service right off the bat.

Last edited:

Drew1440

Hopefully it wont change too much, i quite like the selection of games both gamepass and PSNow offers. I would like to see addon tiers based around the genre of the game, i.e Racing tier, Fighting tier, FPS tier, Adventure, etc,

Gamerguy84

About God of War Damn Time.

Yep. To me this indicates some infrastructure is in place and being tested.

The overhaul that was talked about feels like it's getting close and I'm excited to see it.

I also found this article right after I seen this.

However, the new patent, which is for a Ultra High-Speed Low-Latency Network Storage, hints that work is ongoing to allow for PS5 games to be streamed via PS Now. The filing specifically mentions utilising multiple NVME drives — which just so happens to be type of storage drive used in the PS5 — networked together to stream games.

It's from September 20 and probably isn't new info for some but it's new to me because I don't keep up like I used to.

KAL2006

Banned
Not sure how you allow backwards compatibility on tier 3 and allow downloads but then box out people who already own the digital games, so I think this is going to just be streaming.

It wouldn't be backwards compatibility, it would be new retro games with PS5 compatibility. Just because they release new retro games thrjkugh emulation they don't have to let current owners play the games they already own. They can have new gimmicks for the emulation software that's exclusive to PS5 such as rewind, fast forward and save state feature, online play, 4K rendering and etc. Nintendo have already released emulated retro games on both Wii U and 3DS and there was no cords compatibility. Nintendo also released retro games for Wii U, and you had to pay a fee if you own game on Wii to migrate the game if you wanna play in Wii U mode.

It wouldn't be backwards compatibility, it would be new retro games with PS5 compatibility. Just because they release new retro games thrjkugh emulation they don't have to let current owners play the games they already own. They can have new gimmicks for the emulation software that's exclusive to PS5 such as rewind, fast forward and save state feature, online play, 4K rendering and etc. Nintendo have already released emulated retro games on both Wii U and 3DS and there was no cords compatibility. Nintendo also released retro games for Wii U, and you had to pay a fee if you own game on Wii to migrate the game if you wanna play in Wii U mode.
Sure you CAN but doesn't mean there won't be any blowback to it.

GAF machine

They know he dies at the end right?
Spartacus 🤔 interesting choice in code name... who are they rebelling against. What tyranny is this service meant to overthrow?!?! Playstation's $70 game prices :messenger_hushed: jk boys jk LOL

I'm sure they do, but I think it's what he did before he died that made SIE give the service that codename. As you noted, Spartacus rebelled against the established order and attempted to overthrow it. Cloud gaming's established order is paid subscriptions for access to games. The use of the name 'Spartacus' suggests to me that the service will free certain games from the "tyranny" of subscription requirements over its lifetime, and will permit anyone with or without a subscription to access those games from console, PC, TV and mobile.

Last edited:

Wulfer

The delusional mental gymnastics....

The only thing Microsoft came out with first was paying to play online with Xbox live and PC ports, although Sony closed their PC studio shortly after last gen began. Playstation came out with everything first you listed though.

Psn now was the first game streaming service on consoles. Part of the reason why they started the cloud service was because the ps4 wasnt hardware backwards compatible. Ps plus was the first service to give out free games per month, and older Sony consoles already had backwards compatibility. What Microsoft did do was take notes, and took advantage of their cloud streaming capabilities to leverage gamepass, which was a necessity to regain loss market share.
And Seganet was first subscription service before that! What's you point? If MS copied anybody it was Sega. They (MS) were working closely with Sega on the Dreamcast IE (Windows CE) and Sega shared their vision for online gaming. This is even documented in MS's Power On documentary with Peter Moore who moved over to MS and Xbox.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
If it's still a streaming service I don't care.

Top Bottom