• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Sony overhauling PlayStation Plus with new tiers and streaming

Godot25

Banned
you'd be surprised, almost all first party games cost that much now.

wasn't it rumoured that Halo was at $500M? you better believe Starfield will be up there.
That rumor was debunked immediately but is still somehow making waves thanks to PS fans...

Only games that I can imagine costing 300+ million (and that's development plus marketing) are Call of Duty games and Rockstar games, Cyberpunk 2077 and Star Citizen

I wonder on what basis they assume there are gonna be PS1-PS3 games there, but I wonder if Sony will run into the same issue as MS with game licenses.

thebigmanjosh

Gold Member
I like the concept but it seems more like a consolidation move than anything else. PS Now has a branding problem, and this would let them re-launch a more compelling package with the added bonus of backwards compatibility.

I'd be surprised if all 1st party games are day 1, but I could see 3-6 months out for most titles.

Do they finally bring the Now part to more than the 19 countries they have at the moment, or do they leave that as a higher exclusive to regions that matter tier?

kyliethicc

So this is basically what Schreier's article says is coming.

The names and pricing is just my guess. I have no clue what they'll call each tier.

HCPHxGm.jpg

Last edited:

Murdok

Since 2018 the guys beating the GP and now will have to praise service lol nothing like day after day Congratulations to visionary Phil Spencer He saw that it didn't pay to restrict Xbox games on pc Saw the future that was the services And cloud gaming. dictating the industry

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I mean, Jason states the first tier would be PS+ as is, the second is a broader catalog which sounds like the PS+ Collection on steroids (aka PS Now without the streaming side?), then third tier is streaming and the PS1,2,3 PSP BC stuff
But 20/month is the price of GamePass Ultimate and the Nintendo Switch Online premium tier combined, and that’s before you even factor in the various discounts you can get.

I’m not ditching the quality (tons of good games in the catalog) but the price seems really steep.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Good God. Sony is getting exactly the PR they wanted from this. Got like 6 BREAKING NEWS toasts about Sony prepping a Game Pass competitor.

Bootylicious.

HTK

Banned
We'll see what they offer, all I know is that PlayStation Plus for personally has been a waste of money. Only thing I get out of it is playing online games, and arguably that should be FREE anyway.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I hate to be this way but we have been seeing way too many games release in a state like BF 2042 with years of "polish" and they are straight trash and then get a game like Forza Horizon 5 on Gamepass

The industry will be just fine imo
While true, that has been on average first party vs 3rd party the last several gens in regards to polish in comparison.

That is why I am glad first party exists on all platforms for the most part.

TheMan

Shows you what a good thing MS has in gamepass. This is a step in the right direction. If they let me play xenogears on my tv again I’m down

Spartacus 🤔 interesting choice in code name... who are they rebelling against. What tyranny is this service meant to overthrow?!?! Playstation's $70 game prices :messenger_hushed: jk boys jk LOL

Great Hair

Banned
Feel like games are getting shorter with less content by the day? I think these services are part of that problem.
Games are getting longer. 20h+

Expect more annoying mechanics to stretch a game, suchs as "press and hold X for 3 seconds to accept quests, to loot a corpse." If games get too short, the service won´t survive.

The longer = the better = more "tricks to scam" people can be applied aka "buy this XP pack for $9.99 and you will gain perma 200% XP gains!"

"NO more stupid grinding! Just get this bundle for $9.99! If you wanna quadrupple the gains, get the premium pack for $39.99 instead and your grind will be shortened by 400%!"

ReBurn

Gold Member
I like the concept but it seems more like a consolidation move than anything else. PS Now has a branding problem, and this would let them re-launch a more compelling package with the added bonus of backwards compatibility.

I'd be surprised if all 1st party games are day 1, but I could see 3-6 months out for most titles.
I understand Sony's hesitation to launch games on subscription day 1. They know how much they typically earn on a release and it introduces risk to a tried and true revenue stream. They also know the power of recurring monthly revenue so bolstering their subscription offerings to keep them fresh and revenue flowing between releases also makes sense. They need to figure out what makes sense.

leo-j

Issue with BC is that the emotion engine and the cell were disastrous to develop for, hence why ps2 on PS4 games run horribly, and why ps3 games are limited to ps now streaming. They won’t run on a ps5 because of the cell. I can see ps1/ps2(maybe)/psp native BC but idk if ps3 will ever have that.

Iced Arcade

I was waiting a couple years to get a secondary console this gen BUT if they launch a service like gamepass with day 1 releases... 100% in.

Loxus

Do people know that PS Now/Gaikai was out before gamepass? why are they saying that they are following Xbox.

technically they began the trend, xbox altered it and pushed marketing hard for a similar service and now Sony is rebranding theirs with a larger push after seeing how successful it could be.

This is the beauty of competition and business strategies, not who copied who.

I feel like a lot of people predicted or expected this to be a thing, they can even add a tier including crunchyroll/funimation
It doesn't make sense explaining it to the Xbox camp.

It's basically an upgrade to PS Now.
You'll still need to stream PS1, 2 & 3 games, especially PS3 games.

When it comes to PS4 games, you'll most likely have and get to download more games from PS Now.

PlayStation is merging both PS+ and PS Now and most likely adding more games. That's what I get from the article, the Xbox camp is just overreacting.

And wasn't there articles about Phill Spencer saying GamePass is sustainable but not profitable?

Releasing a game day one on GamePass can actually lose some revenue and sales.

Topher

Gold Member
Pretty sure Sony said the gamepass model is unsustainable. Guess they changed their mind.

Not if they are not putting first party games on the service day one which is what they said when they made that "unsustainable" comment.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
But Netflix "shows" are not the equivalent to AAA games. That would be the big movie releases that are not day one on any online service except during a pandemic.

Especially since Jim Ryan explicitly said something was coming.....

Of course they are - new content is what drove thier highest increases in subscribers.
And you can't compare movies generally since "new releases" are movie theater exclusive at first. So neither subscription or paid was typically getting them for home use day and date prior to covid. The bottom line is old tv shows and old movies isn't enough, just like old games isn't enough. There is a reason netflix and Disney plus and apple tv are spending billions in new exclusive content - to drive subscriptions.

If Sony is ignorant to this, thier service won't be any more successful than ps now.

oldergamer

Sony has sure been following MS' trends lately. People criticized MS for putting games on PC, then sony does the same. Then Sony tries to avoid Cross-Play, but then does the same. Then people say GamePass isn't profitable/sustainable, then sony does the same thing lol.

Looks like MS' approach was right. Soon exclusives will matter less and less too.
You could also add, central multiplayer service via subscription, achievements ( Trophies are better )...

Dr Bass

What are Sony "struggling" on? They still produce the largest gaming revenue. I don't get these takes.
The need to appear insightful and intelligent with a contrary narrative is strong I guess.

If people just stated what was actually happening based on numbers and reality, there wouldn't be need for those "talking heads."

Banjo64

cumsessed
Sounds like they're copying Nintendo's online more than anything. Fits with their current policy of keeping games at a high price like Nintendo.
Please don’t. Current PSN prices:

God of War £7.99
GT Sport £6.39
Bloodborne GOTY £14.99
Spider-Man £17.49
Ratchet and Clank £6.39

What we are seeing currently is exactly what happened with the PS4. An early adopter tax on exclusives. In a year or two normal business will be resumed (deep sales on games like Returnal & Ratchet and Clank as sales dry up). Sony have to compete against serious third party publishers with their prices, Nintendo don’t.

I just don't see this being successful in the slightest. PlayStation users on GAF have been saying for YEARS that gamepass is awful, bad for industry and they don't like renting games.

I don't see them praising a service like this... It will be massive flop on an industrial scale.... Unless they are hypocritics

Last edited:

Loxus

So this is basically what Schreier's article says is coming.

The names and pricing is just my guess. I have no clue what they'll call each tier.

MtviqOS.jpg
Hopefully this is it.
I don't really have an interest in older games, so having an option not to pay for games your never going to play in neat.

Top Bottom