• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Sony Contacted All Major Third Parties for Exclusivity Deals, Offered More Money Than Microsoft

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
And yet you keep resisting. I'm glad you admit GP is not that irresistible to the average customer, even flops like Deathloop was enough to sway them to PS5. Also none of the dozens of MS time deals move the needle at all. Zero. Damn must be hard for you to admit.

Buy a PS5 and stop hurting ❤
It's like at 25 million subscribers. That's great growth for game pass. You seem like you are pulling dream world comments to make yourself feel better 😄

giphy.gif

Three

You quoted the wrong person. It's Adam that said those PS timed-deal made the PS5 irresistible and MS is left bleeding to death 😥
You can see adam and the usual folk celebrating that crap here 4 months ago, about how he is eating good on gamepass with those exclusivity deals

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/xbox-3rd-party-timed-exclusive-games-coming.1638153/

But since the CMA in September showed some concern about MS buying one of the biggest publishers after Zenimax we have to time travel two years and pretend it's retribution for those dastardly exclusivity deals.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

BreakOut

Hard to have a thing you can't afford.

If they could they would.

It's business. They bought Bungie because they could afford it.
They can afford publishers just fine, their buying power is good enough. Sony makes money from a lot of different places. Market cap on the Japanese publishers is not super high, so they could easily acquire several of them without an issue. It’s a choice.

BreakOut

The could buy companies if they want. They bought Bungie for $3 billion. And all they do is basically Destiny. Someone posted a market valuation list earlier this year and UBI was $8 billion at the time and all the Japanese companies were less than that. The big ones like EA and T2 were around $20 billion I think so those are out of reach, but the Japanese ones arent. They could had tossed in an extra billion and gun for owning Sega, Namco or which ever other Japanese companies were close to Bungie. But they chose the one with the smallest game library, least amount of control (Bungie supposedly keeps their leadership team and choice of multiplatform development), and it's the studio with an all or nothing focus on MP GAAS. So with that, you can see Sony is aiming for GAAS model games vs. breadth of game franchises.

In 2018, Sony spent $2 billion to buy up the rest of EMI (music) so I think they now own all of EMI. And that's when they werent even making around $10 billion profit/year (was $12 billion a year ago). So they got the money to buy any game company they want except EA and T2 which are way higher in price and out of scope.
Yeah, that’s what I mean though it’s weird. Instead of paying to have specific games exclusive I don’t know why they don’t just buy some of the publishers. I think the biggest question is why not acquire square? It’s very weird, I think Sony likes the independence of the industry and prefers to target games rather than publishers because the buying of publishers is the end-all. But maybe that’s just wishful thinking, I do not like the consolidation. But like I said before, obviously I play on PlayStation and would prefer Sony by someone than Microsoft.

Top Bottom