• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To Be Permanently Closed In A Few Months

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It effectively does if its only form of "print" is digital. Unlike physical copies you cannot trade digital ones on the second hand market...which means that after a digital store has gone down you need to find someone who has it on their console and is willing to let you dump it...because...ya know...you literally cannot buy it. This attitude you have is how games get lost to time. Like I said, you clearly don't know as much about preservation as you like to think.
Ya.

His view is "well, there's copies in the wild, so that's good enough for availability and usage". Not really.

It's like me scoping out this limited edition Batman Animated Series deluxe edition. I didn't even knw it existed. The regular price was around $80 US (around $100 cdn). Probably got sold out in a month and the only copies you can find are ebay and Amazon resellers at $400.

At least for physical products there is a reasonable amount of give you have to give manufacturers. You cant expect their machines to churn out every product in the world on machines. There's the balance of sales and time and effort.

With digital, you can leave games up for sale like Steam and GOG for decades. There's no inventory to make or carry. Its a file on a server.

If GOG can figure out how to keep a copy of MDK for $5 on their site since 2008, I'm sure Sony can figure out how to keep up PS3 listings on a webstore. It cant be that hard to transition products from one webstore database to another.

Just to show there is linked databases, people's PSN profiles show up on all stores and even a gamers PSN wallet can transition as they even stated your PSN $$$ can move over and be used to buy things off a PS4/PS5 store.

Last edited:

FranXico

Big difference.

MS didn't go through with it as they listened to their users.

But Sony is shutting down the stores as confirmed on their website, despite gamers still wanting it available.

Indeed they called it off, but I was referring to the knee-jerk reaction of rushing to buy things due to FOMO.

In general, MS is more mindful of PR than Sony, and unlike most, I think they've always been sloppy in that aspect.

Last edited:

Wizz-Art

You're right, MS still sucks more.

To PS4 and PS5, PS3 and PSV online was free.

"all the time" - nice trolling, what did they shut down so far? 10 year old Uncharted multiplayer? 13 year old Playstation Store for platforms that aren't sold anymore?

Haven't you heard? We are not at 2013 anymore. Xbox as a brand is thriving more then ever!

I wondered where the money goes they get from paying customers like you. Not to the improvement of their infrastructure that's for sure... Oh that's right, they don't even own the infrastructure PSN and Now are running on, they have to pay rent to Amazon and Microsoft to use the AWS and Azure servers...guess all that money goes to rent then...

What happened to Driveclub? I've read many times of games that got shut off on Playstation, the list is long. Meanwhile I can play PGR3 and Forza Motorsports 2 and almost any other Microsoft published 360 game today no problem. I also can buy on the 360 storefront without much trouble, I can even go on my One X and buy 360 games. I heard people with XSX/XSS can also buy 360 gen games on their shiny new consoles, and also play them better then ever. Those are facts, deal with it.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Haven't you heard? We are not at 2013 anymore. Xbox as a brand is thriving more then ever!

I wondered where the money goes they get from paying customers like you. Not to the improvement of their infrastructure that's for sure... Oh that's right, they don't even own the infrastructure PSN and Now are running on, they have to pay rent to Amazon and Microsoft to use the AWS and Azure servers...guess all that money goes to rent then...

What happened to Driveclub? I've read many times of games that got shut off on Playstation, the list is long. Meanwhile I can play PGR3 and Forza Motorsports 2 and almost any other Microsoft published 360 game today no problem. I also can buy on the 360 storefront without much trouble, I can even go on my One X and buy 360 games. I heard people with XSX/XSS can also buy 360 gen games on their shiny new consoles, and also play them better then ever. Those are facts, deal with it.
Ya. Whatever happened to that argument. We need online fees to maintain the service and server BS.

Sony shuts down MP servers faster than anyone.

Even greedy Activision (maybe its down now) had people on forums (you can even google it) where they said COD 2 servers on 360 were still accessible like 10 years later. There's probably zero people playing the game at that point yet Activision still had a COD 2 server up for Xbox gamers. So even Bobby Kotick and gang will give gamers a break even though nobody plays that server anymore.

I just found a more recent google thread. 2021. Still up.

Last edited:

GHG

did you read the email at all?

You won't be able to purchase any game from the PS3 PSVita or PSP stores 'cause they are closing... but that doesn't mean that you can't keep downloading every game you purchased or redeemed with PS+ from your library list.

Yeh great, that's the bare minimum we should expect considering they are obligated to do so by law. If you're happy with that after paying for a PS Plus subscription for years on end then good for you.

For me personally they should allow people to still purchase all of the games that are on the store unless those games need to be removed due to licenses expiring.

theclaw135

Banned
PS3 online was free because it sucked. I'd be happier to pay for Xbox Live, than for Sony to send me a check each month I'm recorded playing a PS3 game online.

Last edited:
Why is that not enough?

Make your case that its more than just FOMO if you can.
Niche indie titles for example, exactly the kind of thing that might only get a digital release, might only get a few thousand buyers world-wide. Now maybe you don't really care about playing something like that...nor do I personally...but preservation isn't just about what you personally want to keep for the future. To someone else that could be a part of their childhood. If an effort is not made to purchase and preserve those titles now, it will be too late. Digital only is especially in danger because not only can it only be grabbed as long as it's available officially, but because unlike a physical copy, which you can just dump, to use the PKG's from Sony's servers in any capacity, even unpacking them, you NEED a valid license, either real or fake...and before you say "just use a fake license"...well I'd like to point out that to generate a fake license you need a valid real digital license...which means that someone...somewhere...who owns the game and has it installed and activated...has to generate that fake license. If nobody does then the game is lost.

yewles1

I buy an XBOX now, I've already lost my opportunity to play these games.

GHG

There's a big difference between games being delisted and all of the games for a particular platform being taken down.

This would be like Steam saying they will take down all games launched prior to 2014.

Pantz

Finished my initial recon run for PS3 games. Came up with arount 50 games/bundles currently for sale digitally that I'm considering. Some I can compare prices of discs for and some are cheap enough I won't mind grabbing. DLC is my main concern though and that stuff really adds up from this gen. Drakengard 3 DLC adds up to around $70. So the pressure is on to decide whether or not to secure the DLC. Some of the Tales games get into over $100 in DLC. Went ahead and grabbed inFAMOUS Collection $14.99 for starters and bumping it to the front of my backlog.

Looking into alternative ways to play these games after the store closes, it looks very easy to jailbreak a PS3 even for a novice. I'm betting things will become more available to find after the store closes and the need rises. Still I want to secure the stuff that I really want to play before having to rely on that.

Wizz-Art

You don't seem to understand the difference between shutting down a online server for a game and the delisting of games because the publisher doesn't want to renew licenses. For example, I see Forza Horizon 2 and some other Forza games are delisted. This means you can't buy those games on the digital store anymore. But you're fine to play those games and go on-line with them. Hell, you are even able to buy download codes for those games if you prefer to own them digitally. If you buy them on disc you can play them no problem. I have all the forza games digitally and anyone who has them can confirm that they're working and online isn't shut off.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG
So, I started going through the ps3 store and grabbing stuff before the it goes offline.
Yesterday's haul was:
Max Payne 3 Season Pass
CoD Black Ops: DLC 2
Sonic Adventure
Daytona USA
Yakuza 4
Secret of Monkey Island
Killer is Dead
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory HD
PoP Sands of Time HD
Nights into Dreams
Hitman Blood Money HD
Oddworld Stranger's Wrath HD

I'll be buying more stuff here and there over the next couple months.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Maybe change the thread title to official/confirmed instead of report? I’ve been browsing GAF throughout the day and didn’t even realise.

This is piss poor, and before any clown says ‘who even uses a PS3 today’ - I do, it’s what happens when there are amazing games locked on a single platform.

Grechy34

How is it far better? Sure you can redownload your Wii games but you can't redownload them on another Wii.

They have a huge catalogue (not all) of previous systems on the Switch online network/Wii U stores. They also have 2 great retro systems with the NES and SNES Mini. Unless hacked and fiddled with the PS1 mini was nothing short of a mess. Nintendo's homage to previous generations is far better then Sony.

Agent X

With digital, you can leave games up for sale like Steam and GOG for decades. There's no inventory to make or carry. Its a file on a server.

If GOG can figure out how to keep a copy of MDK for $5 on their site since 2008, I'm sure Sony can figure out how to keep up PS3 listings on a webstore. It cant be that hard to transition products from one webstore database to another.

Just to show there is linked databases, people's PSN profiles show up on all stores and even a gamers PSN wallet can transition as they even stated your PSN $$$ can move over and be used to buy things off a PS4/PS5 store.

Good point. The fact that store credit can transfer over is one way (out of many) that you can demonstrate that there are connections between the older platforms and the newer ones. The continued availability of cross-buy content is another.

Also, as I've said before, for people asking why Sony doesn't create a unified PS Store for all of their systems...they did have one, for several years, until very recently. It was officially open until late October 2020, and unofficially accessible until just a few days ago.

If you read the comments, it sounds like Sony sold them devs kits recently too.

Yes, they did. See post #446 in this very thread. Also, for those who aren't aware, Colin Moriarty is a part owner of Lillymo Games.

If you read the comments, it sounds like Sony sold them devs kits recently too.

Didn't think of that, with carts already discontinued this is the final nail in the coffin, there's soon to be no official way to release a game on Vita. Tragic and pretty much unparalleled. Atleast a few years ago you could even still buy a brand new, sealed, freshly pressed and officially licensed copy of one or two of the Final Fantasy titles on PS1 (albeit omitting the black dye)...Vita on the other hand gets killed off totally in less than 10 years.

Dude...that's fucked. What the actual fuck, Sony!? Had no idea the shutdown was coming and even posted about the devkit acquisition as if it dispelled the rumour...because fuck small indie studios I guess...

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Oh didn't know that. I saw that Colin M tweet pages back and didn't know he's part of Lillymo Games.

That's Sony for ya. Anything to make a buck off people and then shut it down. Bunch of asshats.

I used to work at a medical company that sold all kinds of expensive gear you see in hospitals and medical offices. Pretty sure the sales guys aren't going to sell Xray machines and after it's delivered say.... "By the way, we're cutting the cord in 4 months. In fact, you can't even use past July. If I was you, I'd hurry up and hook it up and use it as much as possible before shut down"

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I'm not sure what's more surprising, people still developing Vita games or Sony still giving out dev kits. Crummy situation for those involved and I can't imagine the time sink.

Keihart

yo, FOMO this and that, so in the end FOMO. Have you heard about FOMO? when you have FOMO everything makes sense. It's only FOMO to FOMO.

What i'm trying to say it's that FOMO this and that so everyone FOMO but me, so stop FOMO.

Season 6 Knowledge GIF by Friends

I'm not sure what's more surprising, people still developing Vita games or Sony still giving out dev kits. Crummy situation for those involved and I can't imagine the time sink.
The Vita has a small but loyal fanbase. Not really enough to justify big budget AAA development but indies do quite well. Not necessarily enough that they can afford to blow tens of thousands on a soon to be paperweight though, that's shady as fuck.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just in case there was thinking the kits are free for indies.

No wires crossed Colin. It's called a corporation counting its lucky stars there's customers out there taking products off their hands. Better to sell it than trash it. The guy tracking inventory is buying a lottery ticket every day he dumps off a Vita dev skit to an indie dev.

Hopefully he didn't get charged a lot. Considering Vita is a dead platform and Sony knew it would end soon, I wonder if Sony charged a high price for it.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
I'm looking forward to the backlash when a weasel sitting on unsold PSP Go inventory offloads it right before the shutdown.

Quasicat

Finished my initial recon run for PS3 games. Came up with arount 50 games/bundles currently for sale digitally that I'm considering. Some I can compare prices of discs for and some are cheap enough I won't mind grabbing. DLC is my main concern though and that stuff really adds up from this gen. Drakengard 3 DLC adds up to around $70. So the pressure is on to decide whether or not to secure the DLC. Some of the Tales games get into over $100 in DLC. Went ahead and grabbed inFAMOUS Collection $14.99 for starters and bumping it to the front of my backlog.

Looking into alternative ways to play these games after the store closes, it looks very easy to jailbreak a PS3 even for a novice. I'm betting things will become more available to find after the store closes and the need rises. Still I want to secure the stuff that I really want to play before having to rely on that.
Yep. Did the same and realized there are a few Tales games I missed. Unfortunately, a couple of them are in the $50 range. It’s not ideal, but at least I have until July to pick these up.

Alec

Has anyone figured out if it's possible to change the User Agent or something like that to still access the old web store on a PC?

Agent X

Good article, StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige . Anyone with an interest in these systems (particularly PS Vita) should read it.

It's rather jarring to learn that Sony's sudden announcement of the PS Store closures completely caught some of these developers by surprise. Look at the situation with Colin Moriarty and Lillymo Games--and they were previously staunch supporters of the system, too. The fact that Sony managed to tick off these guys in such swift fashion is a monumental achievement--and I don't mean that in a positive sense.

I wonder if a large number of people (consumers and developers) would make enough noise on the Internet, that Sony might reconsider this decision. They should extend the life of these online stores to allow some of these developers the opportunities to complete and sell their final projects.

It's apparent that there's much more to gain by prolonging the online stores:

• Consumers can continue to buy games for their systems.
  • Publishers and developers can continue to sell games for their systems.
  • Sony can continue to earn money off of licensing royalties for the games being sold.

Completely shutting the stores doesn't appear to have any noticeable benefit to any of the above groups. On the contrary, it does have a huge detriment, in that it tarnishes the goodwill mindset that Sony has established with customers and developers, and causes them to lose trust in their ecosystem. They can see that multiple current competitors are able to keep their online stores active for platforms that are older and/or less successful. Going forward, consumers are inclined to buy less games for Sony systems, and developers (particularly smaller independent outfits) might choose to make less games for Sony systems. They will prioritize other platforms where the longevity of the games appears to be more secure.

We're not talking about systems like the N-Gage, Gizmondo, or Ouya, which had very little impact in the market, and produced little software of note; therefore, their online stores' closures were not lamented. We're talking about a company that (we're seemingly reminded on a weekly basis) is currently the largest video game business in the entire world, raking in more revenue in the industry than any other company. There is simply no excuse for this.

theclaw135

Banned
There is a ridiculous technicality in all this. Sony's declaration leaves an avenue for developers to wrap up their last Vita games.
Cross buy PS4 games will continue to include the Vita version, following the closure of the Vita store.

They're apparently still allowing PS3 discs to be produced. Hopefully, we might see some of the publishers jump on the opportunity to make some of those digital only PS3 games get a physical version.

Perhaps some of those Vita gamedevs, with unreleased games currently in development, could make the switch to PS3 too if its feasible.

Last edited:

Onironauta

They're apparently still allowing PS3 discs to be produced. Hopefully, we might see some of the publishers jump on the opportunity to make some of those digital only PS3 games get a physical version.

Perhaps some of those Vita gamedevs, with unreleased games currently in development, could make the switch to PS3 too if its feasible.
That sounds extremely unlikely if not impossible. Devs would rather port PS3 digital games to new consoles than release them on disk in 2021. Almost no one would buy them.

Last edited:

KingT731

Good article, StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige . Anyone with an interest in these systems (particularly PS Vita) should read it.

It's rather jarring to learn that Sony's sudden announcement of the PS Store closures completely caught some of these developers by surprise. Look at the situation with Colin Moriarty and Lillymo Games--and they were previously staunch supporters of the system, too. The fact that Sony managed to tick off these guys in such swift fashion is a monumental achievement--and I don't mean that in a positive sense.

I wonder if a large number of people (consumers and developers) would make enough noise on the Internet, that Sony might reconsider this decision. They should extend the life of these online stores to allow some of these developers the opportunities to complete and sell their final projects.

It's apparent that there's much more to gain by prolonging the online stores:

• Consumers can continue to buy games for their systems.
  • Publishers and developers can continue to sell games for their systems.
  • Sony can continue to earn money off of licensing royalties for the games being sold.

Completely shutting the stores doesn't appear to have any noticeable benefit to any of the above groups. On the contrary, it does have a huge detriment, in that it tarnishes the goodwill mindset that Sony has established with customers and developers, and causes them to lose trust in their ecosystem. They can see that multiple current competitors are able to keep their online stores active for platforms that are older and/or less successful. Going forward, consumers are inclined to buy less games for Sony systems, and developers (particularly smaller independent outfits) might choose to make less games for Sony systems. They will prioritize other platforms where the longevity of the games appears to be more secure.

We're not talking about systems like the N-Gage, Gizmondo, or Ouya, which had very little impact in the market, and produced little software of note; therefore, their online stores' closures were not lamented. We're talking about a company that (we're seemingly reminded on a weekly basis) is currently the largest video game business in the entire world, raking in more revenue in the industry than any other company. There is simply no excuse for this.
They discontinued sales of the console over 2 years ago.....

That sounds extremely unlikely if not impossible. Devs would rather port PS3 digital games to new consoles than release them on disk in 2021. Almost no one would buy them.

Not entirely. A limited run of physical versions with a fixed set amount of say approx. 5~10k, or maybe even 25k, would likely sell through. I'm not talking about mass production in the hundreds of thousands. Blu-ray production costs are very low compared to when they were first introduced in the 00's.

Agent X

There is a ridiculous technicality in all this. Sony's declaration leaves an avenue for developers to wrap up their last Vita games.
Cross buy PS4 games will continue to include the Vita version, following the closure of the Vita store.

That's a good point, which is generally good for games that have already completed development. The problem that affects future releases is that Sony is ending the certification process for new PS Vita games in a few weeks. After that, no new games will be approved.

That's possible. Limited Run Games released a physical version of Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee for PS3 last year.

It's probably not feasible at this stage. The article that StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige posted yesterday explains why. The development tools are different for some of these systems.

They discontinued sales of the console over 2 years ago.....

But a lot of dedicated fans continue to buy games for it.

Could you go wave your fanboy flag elsewhere, please? I hear 4chan is great this season of the year.

4chan is outrage central. I'm sure there are many posts from people who have never even touched a Vita. We will see how much this decision negatively impacts Sony earnings. My guess is very little remind me in one year and all that :messenger_face_steam:

4chan is outrage central. I'm sure there are many posts from people who have never even touched a Vita. We will see how much this decision negatively impacts Sony earnings. My guess is very little remind me in one year and all that :messenger_face_steam:
Are you capable of seeing beyond Sony's profits? You've made it very clear that you consider Sony cutting costs as them winning, but the discussion at hand is about game preservation, and an entire generation of digital releases and DLC being done away with. That doesn't bother you in the slightest?

Keeping the PS3/Vita store online costs them virtually nothing compared to what they spend on their other services and products each year. Microsoft could do the same thing and take down Xbox Live on the 360, but instead they're not only keeping it online, but even making a large portion of their previous generations of games (even going back to the OG Xbox) playable on their latest console and the cloud. Sony should step up and do something similar, or at least find a way to preserve a decade's worth of art.

Stores don't stop selling books or movies after ten years just because there's new ones available, and it should absolutely not be normalized that entire generations of games are thrown away just because a shiny new console was released. And unless you're totally selfish, it shouldn't matter whether the people who care about that are in the minority or the majority.

Last edited:
So because of this news I bought some games I've always wanted to play (Chrono Trigger, Xenogears and Grandia III). Sony took the money, but now that I want to download them, my PS3 is giving me the 80029509 error. In an old thread it states that this is due to PSN Maintenance, but as far as I can see, there's no maintenance at the moment. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to buy the games...

Does anybody here have an idea?

I've read some comments that say to activate 2FA, but that didn't work.

Naked Lunch

So because of this news I bought some games I've always wanted to play (Chrono Trigger, Xenogears and Grandia III). Sony took the money, but now that I want to download them, my PS3 is giving me the 80029509 error. In an old thread it states that this is due to PSN Maintenance, but as far as I can see, there's no maintenance at the moment. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to buy the games...

Does anybody here have an idea?

I've read some comments that say to activate 2FA, but that didn't work.
Sorry man - seems its pretty widespread:

This shitshow keeps getting worse.

Ozzie666

Wouldn't it be funny if Sony is running a mega version of the Flavor of The Month, tricking everyone into buying games, people think will disappear. Just like Nintendo did with killing Mario. In actual fact, the store is going to survive, just with a new setup..

Talk about generating some sales.

Top Bottom