• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To Be Permanently Closed In A Few Months

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
It's reminding me of when MS was doubling the price of XBLG.
I honestly dont remember that, was that on the 360? I never really used their digital service back then, I was more stuck on the PC. I do remember they used to pull a lot of dodgy stuff back in the 360 days though..

I remember my original white 360 used to score the discs and utterly ruin them (before installs were a thing), I complained to MS and was told the usual guff 'dont move the console while it's on, etc', all that bollocks..

My 360 was the most looked after console, that was never moved while on. I think a lot of them had duff drives and I dont think MS ever owned up to it.

evanft

This thread is amazing.

The math for Sony was very simple. Take the cost of adding the PS3/P/V stores. Add to that the opportunity cost that comes with running those stores instead of investing the money elsewhere. Subtract the amount of money made from the stores. If the result comes out positive, then the storefronts aren't worth running, so you shut them down.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
This thread is amazing.

The math for Sony was very simple. Take the cost of adding the PS3/P/V stores. Add to that the opportunity cost that comes with running those stores instead of investing the money elsewhere. Subtract the amount of money made from the stores. If the result comes out positive, then the storefronts aren't worth running, so you shut them down.
Thats great, but where do we now buy the stuff we cant anymore?

evanft

You don't. It sucks, but it's that simple. The list of things that were both worth playing and exclusive to the PS3 digitally is really short, anyways.

I'd be more worried about them taking patch/update support offline completely, to be honest.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
You don't. It sucks, but it's that simple. The list of things that were both worth playing and exclusive to the PS3 digitally is really short, anyways.
And therin lies the problem most people will not like, which is fair. It's not like Sony cant afford to not keep the stores up, or get the library on the ps4/5. This is meant to be the 'leading' console firm, after all..

But I think most will agree they seem to be making a lot of duff moves lately. This doesnt help.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
oh yes collecting, must be so fun. I would make the wild guess that most people care about playing them and not the "perceived" value.

Collecting it's no preserving.

And people hoarding stuff based on FOMO is neither collecting nor preserving.

You've had years to buy these titles, and months warning as to when they'll no longer be available - which of course is the subset of the library that was never released physically.

If you cared that much, why wait til literally years after the host platform ceased production? The way people like you are reacting its like its some sort of Thanos' snap, a real bolt out of the blue.

This was, and is, an entirely predictable happening.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member

You've had years to buy these titles, and months warning as to when they'll no longer be available - which of course is the subset of the library that was never released physically.

If you cared that much, why wait til literally years after the host platform ceased production? The way people like you are reacting its like its some sort of Thanos' snap, a real bolt out of the blue.

Well of course nothing lasts forever, but this is gaming, and in this day and age Sony have zero excuse to not have something in place by now to preserve their heritage.

It's unjustifiable at this point, anything else is bollocks.

Gatox

Banned
Although its pretty much impossible it would be interesting to know how much money this saves Sony, or maybe more importantly how much it would cost to keep these stores running.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Well of course nothing lasts forever, but this is gaming, and in this day and age Sony have zero excuse to not have something in place by now to preserve their heritage.

It's unjustifiable at this point, anything else is bollocks.

Once again: Offering something for sale is not preservation.

The actual data, the games, aren't going anywhere. They just aren't offering them for sale anymore, most likely because there is almost zero demand for it.

FranXico

Just got the email about this.

Good to see all that PS Plus money being put to good use. Pretty much done with console gaming outside of the odd exclusive, it's all a pile of wank.
Been hoarding quite a few games on GOG, which at least provides DRM free installers.

Reactions: GHG

FranXico

You massive hypocrite, you cry like a little baby anytime anyone does this kind of post against your beloved Sony.
Looks like the real hypocrite got his feelings hurt when someone pointed out his beloved MS is just as bad as Sony.

Sony sucks indeed, but that does not mean skepticism should only be aimed at them.

Last edited:

FranXico

I honestly dont remember that, was that on the 360? I never really used their digital service back then, I was more stuck on the PC. I do remember they used to pull a lot of dodgy stuff back in the 360 days though..

I remember my original white 360 used to score the discs and utterly ruin them (before installs were a thing), I complained to MS and was told the usual guff 'dont move the console while it's on, etc', all that bollocks..

My 360 was the most looked after console, that was never moved while on. I think a lot of them had duff drives and I dont think MS ever owned up to it.

Reversed after public outcry. My point was that back then, people rushed to buy cards before the pending hike, just like now people are foolishly rushing to buy things from the dying store.

Edit: too bad the Xbox console warriors are already jumping at me LOL but you get the idea.

Last edited:

KingT731

Interesting thing about most of the "concern/outrage" is that a lot of those people either can't even tell you the last time they turned on those platforms or if they even owned/still own them.

N30RYU

Just got the email about this.

Good to see all that PS Plus money being put to good use. Pretty much done with console gaming outside of the odd exclusive, it's all a pile of wank.
did you read the email at all?

You won't be able to purchase any game from the PS3 PSVita or PSP stores 'cause they are closing... but that doesn't mean that you can't keep downloading every game you purchased or redeemed with PS+ from your library list.

evanft

And therin lies the problem most people will not like, which is fair. It's not like Sony cant afford to not keep the stores up, or get the library on the ps4/5. This is meant to be the 'leading' console firm, after all..

But I think most will agree they seem to be making a lot of duff moves lately. This doesnt help.

I don't disagree, but unfortunately this band aid was going to have to be pulled off at some point. I'm shocked it has been kept open for so long, to be honest. Over seven years since effective EOL was twice as long as I thought Sony would keep it open for the PS3. Of course, MS still maintains the Xbox 360 storefront, but I believe they run the 360 and Xbox One stores off the same backend so for them it's just the storage space that needs to be there. And since they're selling a lot of 360 and OGX games that are compatible with the XBO and XSX/S, there's a better business case for them to keep them there.

What this really emphasizes for me, though, is that it's very important to have an active and healthy homebrew scene on old consoles to ensure old games and content can be preserved. I believe the PS3 scene has broken open every variant of the console, so at least there's that as a fallback.

It's pretty clear that you don't understand all that much about preservation. One of the biggest hurdles is finding someone with the data...so yes...people "hoarding" stuff does in fact preserve it. If nobody "hoards" the data then what happens when it's no longer available to purchase? What are you going to dump the data from if nobody has it?

Also...you think this is predictable (and I agree) but a situation in which the PS4 can no longer connect to Sony's NTP to set its internal clock would take a zombie apocalypse? I don't think I've ever seen you post anything even remotely sensible, at this point I'm pretty sure you're just a contrarian or a troll...or a contrarian troll.

TTOOLL

There are so many games, physical games, that you can't buy anymore. This also happens with many other products. Every product has a cycle. You had more than a decade to buy games but you didn't, why now?

There are so many games, physical games, that you can't buy anymore. ... You had more than a decade to buy games but you didn't, why now?
Wrong. Physical games can be bought and sold on the used market, digital games cannot. And maybe because there's a couple thousand games? Do you really think anyone owns *all* of them?

Mr Branding

Makes me regret selling some of my rare ps3 stuff half a year ago. Got a part back but I'm still missing quite a few titles. Whoever said that giving Sony money for this closure is stupid was right. I had quite a few wishlist titles which I've deleted, wait, no... scrap that, Sony removed the wishlist. Super glad I didn't jump in the 'digital' ship with ps3 and still have a sizeable physical collection for it. Now, ps4 and switch on the other hand....

EDMIX

There are so many games, physical games, that you can't buy anymore. This also happens with many other products. Every product has a cycle. You had more than a decade to buy games but you didn't, why now?

Agreed.

If anything, now is the time they should get those digital games of old titles they wanted to have on PS3, like some PS1 classics, PS2 classics etc.

Years ago I waited for sales and collected lol

Got Dino Crisis 1 and 2
Parasite Eve 1 and 2
Resident Evil 2 and 3
Metal Gear Solid 1
FFVII
FFVIII
FFIX
Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2
Nocturne
Bully
Chrono Cross
and soooooo many old school rpgs

Many of the titles I already own on disk, but wanted to have the faster loading time and CDs where just awful in terms of how easily they scratch compared to Bluray disk. So if someone wants those old school titles on digital, I see no reason why they shouldn't go HAM on those purchases before July. Shit, I might take a look and make some final purchases lol

The prices of some of those older games brand new on the used market are so fucking crazy, it makes sense to legit purchase some of those titles if anyone is still on PS3, PSP etc.

Wizz-Art

I wonder, with so many customers that pay for online (PSN+) where does that money go if they're not even able to keep storefronts up for their consoles and I keep hearing they're shutting off online for games all the time?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It's pretty clear that you don't understand all that much about preservation. One of the biggest hurdles is finding someone with the data...so yes...people "hoarding" stuff does in fact preserve it. If nobody "hoards" the data then what happens when it's no longer available to purchase? What are you going to dump the data from if nobody has it?

Something being out-of-print does not means it has ceased to exist.

Not only do all extant copies remain in circulation but the option always exists for the thing to be re-published.

What you euphemistically call "preservation" is just FOMO on your part, that is all. You are scared of not being able to play things you've never bothered to buy already (despite them being on the market for years) because of an irrational fear that these titles can never be acquired again.

This is inarguable. Because (1) you aren't the owner of the works in question, at best you hold a license for use. (2) You aren't capable of guaranteeing the preservation you demand because these titles are always and have always been attached to an account, and that account can be revoked or lost at any time. (3) Most importantly you have no clue what Sony's plans are for the future, nor those of its actual legal owner.

Its all a dark, paranoid fantasy driven by your fear of missing out and a hubristic view of your own capabilities, responsibilities, and importance.

Also...you think this is predictable (and I agree) but a situation in which the PS4 can no longer connect to Sony's NTP to set its internal clock would take a zombie apocalypse? I don't think I've ever seen you post anything even remotely sensible, at this point I'm pretty sure you're just a contrarian or a troll...or a contrarian troll.

As expected, you lack the wit to understand the simple analogy I was making about the histrionic reactions of some people on this subject.

To reiterate one last time: This is all FOMO, you assume that because this avenue to play these games is closing, that means all these titles will be gone forever. Ignoring all the copies that exist currently, all those that could exist in the future via both legal and illicit means, and all the other possibilities that could enable/prevent you from playing the games beyond simply not being able to buy it from an online storefront.

Its paranoid. Which is why I introduced the notion of a "zombie apocalypse" as a humorous example of the hyperbolic nature of this line of thinking (if indeed it is a perspective presented in good faith - which is not a certainty!), and of course dumb people take it literally and start spinning dark fantasies of their own about solar storms knocking out all technology as a reason why something as basic as a time NNTP server will become an impossibility!

Disregarding the obvious fact that playing old games is inconsequential to the point of irrelevance if all computer networks and systems get fried! How are you going to register your displeasure on a forum when there's no internet?

I swear, this is some of the dumbest shit I've ever read.

Last edited:
I think this is a Microsoft level dick move for Sony. They expect me to download every crossbuy I own or I loose it ?

I am not downloading shit I am going to finish off my PS4 backlog , sell off my PS5 while I can get top dollar and see what happens over the next couple years. I am thinking of selling off my account with all my digital titles then pick up only physical moving foreword. At least we know why Sony abandoned "For the player"

theclaw135

Banned

Think of the newbies. Future generations of new players will discover these games, only to learn the companies don't want to sell them.

Agent X

I agree, and I'll say more about that in a moment.

They just aren't offering them for sale anymore, most likely because there is almost zero demand for it.

There appears to be some demand, considering how many Sony console fans have been begging Sony for years to bring over the PS1, PS2, and PSP games to the PS4, much like Microsoft did with Xbox and Xbox 360 games to the Xbox One.

Sony largely ignored those pleas, aside from a small number of PS2 games...which they then totally botched by not allowing PS4 owners to carry over their previous purchases of those games from PS3. Instead, they would have to repurchase those games, and often at higher prices than the ones being sold at the same time on PS3.

Many gamers decided that this was a "consumer unfriendly" approach, and decided not to support it. I myself only got 3 PS2 games on PS4, and all of those were either free or very heavily discounted. Many large game publisher also hesitated to support this.

Sony could have then gone about reevaluating and readjusting their strategy, saying "maybe if we take Microsoft's approach, allow cross-buy carryover, and set the prices the same on PS3 and PS4", then perhaps consumers would be more receptive and appreciative, and start buying them up. Instead, they stubbornly refused to budge. They then dropped the "PS2 games on PS4" initiative entirely. I'm sure the bean counters then concluded, "Oh well, no one must be interested in those old games", which brought us to where we are today.

Sony could still readjust their downloadable PS2 games strategy. They could also bring PS1 games, PSP games, and Minis (small-scale PSP games, which were also emulated on PS3) to PS4 and PS5. This seems to be what a lot of people want. If they did all of this, then maybe the closure of the PS3/PSP/PS Vita stores wouldn't sting as much. But that's not a path that they have chosen to take, unlike one of their main competitors, and that is why there is so much grumbling today.

Wizz-Art

I think this is a Microsoft level dick move for Sony.
Excuse Me What GIF

TTOOLL

Think of the newbies. Future generations of new players will discover these games, only to learn the companies don't want to sell them.

Well, I played a lot of Nintendo games for NES and SNES that future generations won't touch except for emulators. That's how it works.

dotnotbot

You're right, MS still sucks more.

I wonder, with so many customers that pay for online (PSN+) where does that money go

To PS4 and PS5, PS3 and PSV online was free.

I keep hearing they're shutting off online for games all the time?I wonder, with so many customers that pay for online (PSN+) where does that money go

"all the time" - nice trolling, what did they shut down so far? 10 year old Uncharted multiplayer? 13 year old Playstation Store for platforms that aren't sold anymore?

Last edited:

Fake

I don't think the UK gets a look in at SONY more so after SONY have decimated their In House teams here in the UK
It's like what happened with SEGA. Letting the American calls the shots isn't always a good idea.

Indeed. I mean, just look the recent moves and I really don't believe Sony Japan could do that at all. I like Ghost of Tsushima, but making a movie instead of a sequel? Closing Japan studios, stores, hiring some directors with IDK what that means...

Kadve

Time too CFW your ps3 i guess so you will be able to play the games you legally bought one day.

Or maybe just play them through RPCS3.

Indeed. I mean, just look the recent moves and I really don't believe Sony Japan could do that at all. I like Ghost of Tsushima, but making a movie instead of a sequel? Closing Japan studios, stores, hiring some directors with IDK what that means...
Just look at the set up of the PSV and look of the console. The PS5 is a huge ugly monster that looks more like a Fisher Price toy than a state of the art console and the fact that us PS5 owners have still no option to add an SSD and can only add one HD for PS4 games is an utter joke.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's reminding me of when MS was doubling the price of XBLG.
Big difference.

MS didn't go through with it as they listened to their users.

But Sony is shutting down the stores as confirmed on their website, despite gamers still wanting it available.

Last edited:
Something being out-of-print does not means it has ceased to exist.
It effectively does if its only form of "print" is digital. Unlike physical copies you cannot trade digital ones on the second hand market...which means that after a digital store has gone down you need to find someone who has it on their console and is willing to let you dump it...because...ya know...you literally cannot buy it. This attitude you have is how games get lost to time. Like I said, you clearly don't know as much about preservation as you like to think.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
There appears to be some demand, considering how many Sony console fans have been begging Sony for years to bring over the PS1, PS2, and PSP games to the PS4, much like Microsoft did with Xbox and Xbox 360 games to the Xbox One.

I meant in their raw, untouched form, which was basically impossible on PS4 due to the different architectures.

I'd also add you really ought to factor in we're not talking about emulating a single format, PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP and Vita are all different. This is not a small task and each has its own peculiar issues to contend with both technically and business-wise.

The most likely approach is to work backwards from the present; hence PS3 and Vita titles being prioritized. PS1 and PS2 get messy because these are machines from before digital distribution was a consideration and obviously the attrition rate of developers and publishers could present a difficult paper-trail.

As I've pointed out before MS has admirable coverage on 360, but less than 40 titles from original Xbox. Going forwards I don't see much further work being done to add new titles from either as no-doubt their focus will be on more recent product, and frankly they shouldn't need to have to dig so deep to prop up the Series line as their first party is in much better shape than it was for the X1 gen.

Top Bottom