• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Microsoft paid Big Cheese $600,000 to bring Cooking Simulator to Game Pass

Melon Husk

CommonTerrificCarp-max-1mb.gif

It's all about the size of the platform bro
Network effect bro

Leyasu

Banned
No you didnt get what i mean, i agree with you. I mean there are people saying they paid 600k for some trash, when in reality these kind of games are very popular on PC.

Its back to the old 'AAA or bust' with many on here.

I did get what you mean. I was trying to reply without being nasty to the drones that that have already flocked to the thread. And my reply just wasn't well written

what they are aiming for here ? building a lineup of sim games on GP ?

Nah, it's just content. Everything goes

Banjo64

cumsessed
Well i assume the game is coming to PC Gamepass too, where the majority of people will probably be playing this kind of game.

EDIT. In fact yes it is on PC gamepass
I think the time where MS have to split their console game pass offering and roll gold in to it is rapidly approaching. I don’t see how Xbox only users with game pass ultimate should have to bank roll this toss for PC users.

Stuart360

I think the time where MS have to split their console game pass offering and roll gold in to it is rapidly approaching. I don’t see how Xbox only users with game pass ultimate should have to bank roll this toss for PC users.
But Ultimate is on PC too, i have it.

Banjo64

cumsessed
But Ultimate is on PC too, i have it.
Yes but Ultimate for a PC user is completely optional (you’d only subscribe if you have an Xbox and want Cloud gaming).

Ultimate on console is mandatory if you want online play.

Not to mention console users subsidising PC game pass subscribers having access to EA Play in the base tier.

Wish they'd at least bank roll ports for the good PC games like Warhammer.

Instead you'll get shower with your dad simulator next

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Nah, it's just content. Everything goes

Absolutely, everyone has different tastes. A lot of these little sim games sell relatively well. MS should be trying to cover as many different game types as they can with GP. With that said, we know they have loaded their hand with content that is typically the most popular with Xbox buyers (FPS and Western RPG) with the acquisitions.

Ozriel

M$FT
The game is $20. So basically Microsoft paid the devs for 30,000 copies across Xbox and PC. Why’s everyone acting as if it’s a crazy sum?

For Gamepass to work, it has to have variety and diverse content for multiple audiences. can’t call a game ‘shovelware’ because it’s one you won’t play.
Not sustainable.

That’s one month sub from 40000 people. To keep the game on PC and console Gamepass for at least a year.

A.Romero

Yes but Ultimate for a PC user is completely optional (you’d only subscribe if you have an Xbox and want Cloud gaming).

Not to mention console users subsidising PC game pass subscribers having access to EA Play in the base tier.

Why do you think console subs are subsidizing pc subs? Do we know how users are split console vs PC? Do we know how much is paid for a console vs a PC game? I thought Microsoft was subsidizing everything right now.

It's not my type of game either (as with most simulator stuff) but I think purchases like this are about having something for everyone in the catalogue. I don't think the audience for this game is in this forum but I do think Microsoft would want to have something for everyone. Also 600K might sound like a lot but we don't know the length of the deal. If it's for example a 10 year deal they'd be paying 60,000 a year and that would be $5,000 a month. It's nothing, really.

The game is $20. So basically Microsoft paid the devs for 30,000 copies across Xbox and PC. Why’s everyone acting as if it’s a crazy sum?

For Gamepass to work, it has to have variety and diverse content for multiple audiences. can’t call a game ‘shovelware’ because it’s one you won’t play.

That’s one month sub from 40000 people. To keep the game on PC and console Gamepass for at least a year.

This.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Right i get what you mean. I didnt realize Xbox users had to have Ultimate to play online, thats a little harsh to be fair.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Why do you think console subs are subsidizing pc subs? Do we know how users are split console vs PC? Do we know how much is paid for a console vs a PC game? I thought Microsoft was subsidizing everything right now?
Because PC subs get vastly more for their money (at the base tier) despite console subs outnumbering PC subs.

Robb

Gold Member
I guess they have their reasons for that valuation, but sounds very high. Good for the devs though.

A.Romero

Because PC subs get vastly more for their money (at the base tier) despite console subs outnumbering PC subs.

So they have published that console vs PC split or are we guessing?

What about Ultimate including entitlement to both console and PC?

I'm not sure PC subs get vastly more for their money.

coffinbirth

Just downloaded this yesterday, will check it out later. But what I really wanted to say is...
I'm curious how much they paid for Power Wash Simulator, because I'm certain it was for a song compared to it's majesty.

You might think this is hyperbole of the highest order, but that simply means you have not played, nay...experienced Power Wash Simulator. It's basically ASMR:The Game. It's perfect for chilling out and losing hours or a good mental reset between other games in short bursts. It's great.
Everyone I've told about this game has gotten hooked, beware!

I guess it’s Microsoft that are really supporting the smaller developers. Mass amounts of money and mass amounts of exposure.

Nice to see the usual suspects acting as this is something outlandish. This is probably a small fraction of GP’s monthly income and a minuscule fraction of Microsoft’s overall wealth and buying power, as in less than .5%.

This forum can be so small minded at times. Everyone I know who has an Xbox has Gamepass, and no, they aren’t all on the $1 loophole deal either.

Well, that's why they were willing to spend so much money buying studios/publishers. Right now they are in a position where their own studios can barely put any games out so they are forced to rely on third party games but their plan is to change that over time.

Market share and consumer behavior plays a big role in this as well, if they succeed to change consumer behavior (people stop buying games and settle for a subscription) all third party publishers become a lot more dependent on the service and lose a lot of their negotiating power.

It was pretty obvious from the beginning that MS game plan was to pretty much crash the market of traditional game sales and if successful they would drastically increase their control over all game developers on their platform.

Thankfully it doesn't seem to be working as well as a lot of people expected.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
Well i mean we already knew from the Epic leaks that Epic were paying way lower for their exclusivity deals and free games than what people expected. It wont be any different for Microsoft, and Sony.
Not on topic as EGS doesn't offer GaaS.

Except there are studios that have joined the program voluntarily.

The problem is in this case it's some european indie that already sold 700,000 copies and unlikely will generate more subs so i don't get why they would spend money on this instead of a more advantageous Indie game with bigger mindshare that hasn't joined by themselves.

Probably because there simply aren't that many of such games on the market. And if so, you have to be extremely quick and seize the opportunity right before they blow up. MS haven't necessarily shown the best of such timing in that regard, they seem to try going for stuff after it's actually gotten pretty popular, like with Minecraft.

OTOH, Sony got Fall Guys on PS+ right as it was gaining a bit of steam, and right before it blew up into a phenomenon. You gotta have people at the upper management with the eye to spot that type of stuff and between Phil Spencer & Matt Booty I don't think Xbox have had people like that for the past few years, but maybe that can change in the future.

BTW, Zenimax had some games on gamepass day 1 before the buyout so I don't think that acquisition was for Gamepass.

It wasn't solely for GamePass, but GamePass was definitely a big factor. Phil Spencer said it himself at the roundtable shortly after the acquisition was approved.

"You'll find Bethesda games wherever GamePass exists" or something to that effect, those were basically his words. So GamePass was a factor into the acquisition.

kirby007

some of these takes, take less heroin peeps

anyway not everybody likes the same games so this adds extra choice for the product that is game pass.
on top of that it increases MTX interaction.
building goodwill is not just for now its also for the future and this is forging bonds

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Ppl say they want to support the devs, but by supporting gamepass you are supporting the devs in a big way, if this is true.
But I heard devs are losing money when getting their games on game pass.

Last 3 months of 2021 Microsoft as a company made this.

Microsoft: 51.7 billion in revenue, $22.2 billion in operating income

Assuming everybody on Game Pass is subbed to the $9.99 tier (they're not, there are many ultimate subscribers), using the last reported 25 million subscribers, Game Pass makes $3 billion a year, $250 million a month. This is why Game Pass is so genius for a company like Microsoft. They make so much money overall as a company they can afford to forego premium sales with even their biggest first party titles by dropping them day one onto Game Pass. As long as that subscriber count keeps growing like it is, and Microsoft remains as profitable a company as they are, $600,000 for Cooking Simulator is nothing for them.

Game Pass monthly is making, at worst, is generating 416x that $600,000 they spent. They'll be fine lol.

Their games being on Game Pass could have certainly influenced the decision to take steps to ensure their games will continue to be on there.

Someone is seriously trying to say that Microsoft didn't buy Zenimax for Game Pass!? Why haven't people caught on yet that Game Pass is the reason Microsoft is so comfortable dropping massive chunks of money on acquisitions like Bethesda and Activision Blizzard? People keep thinking that this is all about Xbox, and what Xbox has to do to be profitable on its own to make back this or that money, etc. Xbox NEVER has to make back the money spent on Bethesda or Activision Blizzard.

Those purchases are about the entire company as a whole. Activision brought in $8.8 billion in revenues last year with an operating income of $3.2 billion, what was considered basically a "weak" year with an underperforming Vanguard.

Microsoft cares about what will boost their revenues and, by extension, boost their stock. They are $2.15 Trillion company because of how all their businesses perform as a collective. What do you think Microsoft quarterly and fiscal year reports will look like with Activision Blizzard rolled in? It's pretty much a guarantee that they will experience record breaking revenues and profit.

Microsoft as a company combined with Activision Blizzard + Bethesda together with COD + Starfield + Elder Scrolls 6 and Fallout will easily become a $3 Trillion company over the next 3-5 years is my best guess. Definitely by 2030.

Microsoft's big purchases in gaming are 100% all about Game Pass. They are one of the few companies who can do such a thing as day one launches into Game Pass with big AAA and even some 3rd party games due to the kind of money they bring in. Microsoft is creating a gaming Office 365. And it's working.

It wasn't solely for GamePass, but GamePass was definitely a big factor. Phil Spencer said it himself at the roundtable shortly after the acquisition was approved.

"You'll find Bethesda games wherever GamePass exists" or something to that effect, those were basically his words. So GamePass was a factor into the acquisition.

I mean he has to say they, they were already doing day 1 on Gamepass for 1p for years lol. He can't say those new 1p studios are going to release games not on gamepass.

As for Microsofts having people who can spot a potential blow up game before it becomes big, I get what you're saying, but in this case we are talking about a cooking game and while I do believe that there's a market for this since the game sold 700,000 as shown in the article I don't think there's ever going to be massive mainstream acceptance for a cooking game like Minecraft or Fortnite.

At least not without NFT's grinding, create a character, crafting's, lasers, and guns somewhere in it. But not a simulator lol.

This just looks like the most confusing decisions I've see Microsoft make. It's completely out of character.

Top Bottom