• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

REPORT - Microsoft is “Spending a Lot of Money on Something That Isn’t an Acquisition”

Night.Ninja

Banned
Microsoft hired Dr. Disrespect as Phil Spencer substitute.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Njocky

Banned
The question from the start should have been "why would they spend a lot of money on something that is not an acquisition"? For charity?

I said Zenimax were prime to be acquired.... looks like Phil read my posts, not Jim.

I don't think Sony was in a position to spend $7 billion for games they were already going to get anyway, we'll see if Spencer and team make the stupid move to make these franchises exclusive or if he'll do the smart business thing and keep them multiplatform.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member

Bryank75

Banned
I don't think Sony was in a position to spend $7 billion for games they were already going to get anyway, we'll see if Spencer and team make the stupid move to make these franchises exclusive or if he'll do the smart business thing and keep them multiplatform.
Wouldn't have been stupid if they made them fully exclusive, PS needed a good shooter (Doom) and a janky but good RPG (Elderscrolls) as exclusives.

Last edited:

M16

So why buy them when they could a just paid to have them on gamepass, which woulda been cheaper

Orky

Banned

They will not get those games though. All new big games that are System sellers, will be XBOX/PC exclusive of course.

Last edited:

Beyond Deathloop and Ghost Wire, none of the future games are guaranteed for Sony platforms. Or even Nintendo platforms, for that matter. It's likely some of them (more obvious ones) will be, but day-and-date with Xbox devices and PC? Strongly doubt that now. You're probably looking at 6-12 months in some of those cases, maybe even longer a stagger in a few cases.

Then there's the fact that some specific games will probably not come to devices outside of the Xbox ecosystem going forward. People can feel however they want about this, but at the end of the day it's just business. When word was going around about Sony locking in big 3rd-party AAA exclusives (timed or otherwise), weren't people saying Microsoft needed to do something to counter that, especially when 1st-party like Halo Infinite got hit with the delay?

Welp, either they genuinely meant that, or they were just paying lip service to create a no-win scenario for MS on that note. And if the latter is the case, honestly those types of people can be ignored. These companies want to dominate the market at the end of the day. I'm not big on timed exclusives or seemingly unneeded buyouts, but I understand that's how these markets and companies work. That's the reality. And regardless of who does it, if they make smart plays, then they make smart plays.

This was a very smart play by MS. FFXVI timed-exclusivity was a smart play by Sony. And I think both of them are going to be doing a few more "smart plays" in this vein for a bit more of a while (already hearing rumors of something MS/SEGA-related leading into TGS).

Bryank75

Banned
Hey you don't know for sure that he didnt see it!

I know I was taking the piss too man, it's been a wild day on Neogaf to be fair
It's been mad, good for bringing people in to chat though.
We will have to see how this goes over the next few months..... my guess is it doesn't make a massive difference. But I could be wrong.... I have been many times before.

LarknThe4th

It's been mad, good for bringing people in to chat though.
We will have to see how this goes over the next few months..... my guess is it doesn't make a massive difference. But I could be wrong.... I have been many times before.
Yeah all I care about is that back catalogue is gonna be on Gamepass very soon for like 12 euro!

The speculation is fun though

NullZ3r0

Banned
Nintendo games on GamePass and GamePass Game Streaming on Switch makes the most sense.

I don't think MS considers Nintendo a direct competitor anyways and their offices are literally next door to each other.

Last edited:

timmyp53

So after the IGN article just released on Bethesda autonomy it appears this rumor has some merit. Lookin more than likely like the big bethesda games most likely will release multiplatform.

Starfield

So after the IGN article just released on Bethesda autonomy it appears this rumor has some merit. Lookin more than likely like the big bethesda games most likely will release multiplatform.
you mean where they said Bethesda would run "semi-independent" which counterdicts the whole multiplatform thing? https://www.ign.com/articles/bethesda-will-run-semi-independently-under-microsoft

Just accept it man, this isnt whats going to happen anymore, atleast not with every title.

timmyp53

you mean where they said Bethesda would run "semi-independent" which counterdicts the whole multiplatform thing? https://www.ign.com/articles/bethesda-will-run-semi-independently-under-microsoft

Just accept it man, this isnt whats going to happen anymore, atleast not with every title.
I mean we can only speculate since the full details aren't available on future Bethesda releases. If it's definitive it's definitive fact. Otherwise I'd say it's fine to assume otherwise given rumblings.

Top Bottom