• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Amazon is making a new movie based on the ToeJam & Earl video game franchise.

Yet another video game franchise looks set to become a film, as a new report says Amazon Studios is developing a movie based on the '90s Sega game series ToeJam & Earl.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the ToeJam & Earl movie will be produced by NBA superstar Stephen Curry's Unanimous Media and Story Kitchen, the production company from John Wick creator Derek Kolstad and Sonic the Hedgehog producer Dmitri M. Johnson.

The original ToeJam & Earl was released for the Sega Genesis back in 1991. This was followed up by a 1993 platforming sequel called Panic in Funkotron, and then ToeJam & Earl III: Mission to Earth in 2002. The series follows two aliens who come to earth to get their groove on.

Amazon's ToeJam & Earl movie is being written by Amos Vernon and Nunzio Randazzo, who previously wrote Hotel Transylvania 4, according to THR.

ToeJam & Earl would be Amazon's latest video game production adapted for film or TV. Amazon is also producing the Fallout TV series and might tackle Disco Elysium and Life Is Strange after that. It's also been reported that Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson might star in and produce an It Takes Two movie for Amazon.

I'm not sure what's with all these video game movies coming out, I guess after checklist releases aren't making much, studios believe there's money to be gained with game adaptations in hope their audience will see them as "something different" I suppose. But at this rate I expect Bubsy to have it's TV Show revived and for it to have a movie with how crazy the movie choices are getting.

To be fair, a Syphon Filter or Fear Effect live action movie could have some potential.

ToeJam & Earl I'm not sure how well that can be adapted to a movie but I guess we may find out if the report is true.

Last edited:

CamHostage

I'm trying to figure out why they'd bother with this "franchise" (I guess there have been five games now, but it's still a deep cut to remember any of these but the first game)... but maybe it makes sense? Target the SEGA nostalgia for parents, get the kids interested with cute characters, and have it work live-action where the characters could cross over into the real world in a comedy sense. Basically the Sonic playbook but not with the varsity players.

small_law

These studios keep making shit I don't want to see and I keep not paying them. It's a great arrangement.

kiphalfton

Only thing I cared about on Prime Video was The Tick, The Boys, and Invincible... but they cancelled the first one, the latest season of the second was "meh", and the last one they might not even do.

Holammer

Be sure to include Ahnold (xbox dlc guy?) from Mission to Earth and I'm in.
Nobody talks about him, but me and buddy still quote him to this day. I think everything he said would count as cancelable by today's standards.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I will absolutely watch this with my kid, she loves Toejam and Earl, the most recent one on Switch.

Obviously these things depend on the execution, but Toejam and Earl is a pretty funny premise with a lot of room to expand into a movie. Certainly not the biggest name in gaming but there's potential.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Talk about scrapping the bottom of the barrel. Were the Vectorman movie rights tied up?

Last edited:

Comandr

Cecily Strong Snl GIF

Talk about scrapping the bottom of the barrel. Were the Vectorman movie rights tied up?

They were tied up back in the 90's when they were actually planning on a movie and it got cancelled.

But Sega bringing that back today would require them to actually do something with the character so that's not happening, lol.

Ragnarok

Rumor: Toejam is now an alien blue of color (ABoC) and Earl is a gay rights activist. Modern audiences are sure to think it’s jammin!

SF Kosmo

Rumor: Toejam is now an alien blue of color (ABoC) and Earl is a gay rights activist. Modern audiences are sure to think it’s jammin!
Have you ever played Toejam and Earl or do you just make this tired joke about everything?

Toejam and Earl are already coded black (and voiced by black actors in the games where they have recorded speech). And Latisha is gay.

SF Kosmo

Hopefully it's based on Panic on Funkotron, that would make for a very good if they can nail the 90s feel

Doesn't look like it. Here is the official synopsis:

“Earth, their legends tell them, is the Paradise where the music that created their culture originated. Unfortunately for our heroes, not only do they wreck their ship, but they find that Earth is . . . well, not the haven they expected. But the music – that part was true. So begins their quest to find as much of that music as they can in the hope of saving their planet, and maybe ours as well.”

DelireMan7

I have strong memories of this game.

Each time I heard this name this comes in my mind

Amazing soundtrack.

I don't really care a bout a movie xD

Scotty W

Gold Member
Hotel Transylvania 4:

On the review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, 49% of 77 critics' reviews are positive, with an average rating of 5.20/10.

These companies are like Isis scouring the whole earth in desperate search of still living fragments of Osiris.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Hotel Transylvania 4:

On the review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, 49% of 77 critics' reviews are positive, with an average rating of 5.20/10.

These companies are like Isis scouring the whole earth in desperate search of still living fragments of Osiris.
Yeah it was a very mediocre movie, although still better than the average video game movie. But also the fourth movie in a series that has been bles dry, so...

Top Bottom