• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Don't Sleep on this feature

KAL2006

Banned
So some people may remember my thread about not being able to get a DualSense controller working on Android. Seconds thoughts of getting a Steam Deck and etc. If I should get a gaming laptop. Well this thread is the culmination of all the past threads.

I have an issue where my PS5 is in the main lounge and sometimes a family member is using the TV. I also like the idea of portable gaming around the house such as the office room when not much work to do, in bed and etc. So I looked at different solutions such as a Steam Deck, gaming laptop and etc.

I decided to give remote play a go and surpsingly its working flawlessly. Id say I'm not a casual in Street Fighter V, and that was the test game for me and it works near perfectly. Im pulling out combos and reacting to attacks perfectly. And this is in the highest bitrate and 1080p. If I was paranoid about input lag I could tone down stream quality more.

So for people who can't get it to work here are the steps I used to ensure there isn't much lag.

- PS5 is connected via ethernet cable to router
- Use the PSPlay app on Android it has way more features and supports DualSense. You can even tone down bitrate as well as resolution.
- Leave your PS5 in rest mode and enable to turn PS5 on with remote device
- Connect your DualSense wired to your streaming device. You may need to use a USB C to USB C cable as most tablets or phones have a USB C input. You can also get a USB C to A connector. Or use other 3rd party android controllers or even Xbox controller. You can use Bluetooth too
- Make sure your device you are using has decent WiFi chip and isn't ancient, streaming usually doesn't take a ton of horsepower but it has been terrible on an old tablet of my friends.

Using the above steps I am now playing my PS5 games portably around the house. And the amount of game time I'm getting since I've had this feature is insane. Before people go and splurge money on a Switch OLED or Steam Deck try this and you can save a ton of money. I know many people want a handheld for not playing outside but around the house, if that's the case remote play is actually worth looking into.

Devices I play in Remote Play
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 Plus
- Nintendo Switch (Hacked)

I used to play on my phone but since discovering remote play on a hacked Switch I used that now instead.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Phone screen is 6.4 inches, which is too damned small. I can't stand playing on it for more than 5 minutes or I'd use it more. Maybe if I had one of those huge foldable phones but I can't give up the Pixel 6's awesome camera.

KAL2006

Banned
Phone screen is 6.4 inches, which is too damned small. I can't stand playing on it for more than 5 minutes or I'd use it more. Maybe if I had one of those huge foldable phones but I can't give up the Pixel 6's awesome camera.

I play on my Galaxy Tab S7 Plus. And the games just pop on that OLED screen.

Also you can buy a cheap portable device nowadays just make sure the WiFi chip is decent and possibly supports WiFi 6.

Last edited:

drotahorror

I've used this app on my Nvidia Shield. I typically Gamestream with it (stream my own games running from my own PC) and that works amazingly well, very little input lag. PSPlay on the other hand...not so good, atleast compared to Gamestream. I would compare the input lag to Steam Link. The input delay was the biggest fault for me and was just too high. I'm sure others are fine with it or even have a different experience than I did.

skit_data

I played through almost all of Dark Souls 2 via remote play and it works fine. Just make sure to go into settings and set up streaming quality ro at least 720p and frame rate to high to get that 60fps. I always have my consoles wired, but I also changed my phones wlan connection to 5G.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
I've used this app on my Nvidia Shield. I typically Gamestream with it (stream my own games running from my own PC) and that works amazingly well, very little input lag. PSPlay on the other hand...not so good, atleast compared to Gamestream. I would compare the input lag to Steam Link. The input delay was the biggest fault for me and was just too high. I'm sure others are fine with it or even have a different experience than I did.

Is your PS5 conenction via ethernet and have you tried Direct Connect. Also have you tried lowering bitrate or resolution.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
ljTt0sF.gif

KAL2006

Banned
that’s some desperation after telling people not to buy a Steam Deck.

Why so defensive about Steam Deck. I'm just stating my experience and perhaps helping people who probably are in my situation who only need to play portably around the house. Steam Deck has its own use cases and featureset.

There maybe people like me who have no idea how good remote play is and could potentially save money.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Why so defensive about Steam Deck. I'm just stating my experience and perhaps helping people who probably are in my situation who only need to play portably around the house. Steam Deck has its own use cases and featureset.

There maybe people like me who have no idea how good remote play is and could potentially save money.
Not being defensive, just pointing out the point is laughable.

The prerequisite is to have a PS5, which many people don’t. And it’s going to perform much worse than local installed version. And PS Remote Play ain’t working as well as Steam Link.

I can see that lots of people are starting to fill in the other inputs now

Thedtrain

My wife’s office is also my game room, my office is downstairs. I use remote play on my PC to play diablo between meetings 😂. Such a great feature.

skit_data

The prerequisite is to have a PS5, which many people don’t. And it’s going to perform much worse than local installed version. And PS Remote Play ain’t working as well as Steam Link.

My experience of remote play is that it’s solid for local play. It could be useful instead of buying a Steam Deck.

Kilau

Gold Member
I miss my Vita remote play. I wonder if Steam Deck will do PS5 remote play well, serious not trolling OP, I like an all in one device versus pairing a controller.

reksveks

I am slightly down the road it seems from you i think. I started with playing everythng on my tv, then used to remote play (via different ways) for jrpg and games like tetris and now doing all 3 (native, remote play and xcloud)

at the moment currently
AI Somnium Files: native on tv
Hades, Echo Generatiions - Xcloud

Not using remote play cause QR isn't supported by AI Somnium Files

Hellmaker

So you now have an option of direct connection to the console? That's like what vita used to have with ps4, and I really liked using it, but wasn't an option via phones. Interesting!

Skyfox

Id be using it right now if dualsense worked. Why should I pay to use the ps5 controller? Ridiculous limitation from Sony.

I used to use it a fair amount over the internet with the Vita to play some JRPG's at work or put in a little extra time on review duties, but haven't touched it since I got a PS5 as it doesn't work with Vita

KAL2006

Banned

How is it laughable to make people aware. I was seriously considering buying another device. Many people could be in my situation and are not aware of how good it is or may not know the optimal setup. So I think a thread letting people know there are cheaper options for portable play in the home is a good thing. It depends what you mean perform much worse. Like I said based in my connections and setup I found Street Fighter V a competitive game having barely any lag. As for Steam in sure there are other solutions such as Steam Link, NVidia Gamestream and Moonlight for remote with your Steam library.

As for performing much worse than normal maybe but the extra input lag that many may not notice is probably worth the saving of having to buy a handheld device, also technically a game running remotely you can have the game run in higher graphical settings. You are also not restricted to poor battery life as well so there are many positives over natively playing games on handheld too.

reksveks

I think Xbox remote play maybe slower as PS5 has WiFi 6 and Xbox doesn't.
I personally need to get a wifi6 router but on topic; for an all wireless connection, you might see a small increase in latency. It obviously gets less important if the console has wired connection.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
I personally need to get a wifi6 router but on topic; for an all wireless connection, you might see a small increase in latency. It obviously gets less important if the console has wired connection.

No you don't need a WiFi 6 router. If you connect the router wired to PS5, then do Direct Connect between smartphone/tablet and PS5 skipping the router latency altogether. If the smartphone has WiFi6 as well as PS5 the direct connection will have less latency.

ViolentP

Latency is the reason I never invested in streaming. It was too high with the Steam Link, too high with Stadia, too high with GeForce Now. This is no different. I prefer my applications running locally.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck

This also works on PS4. It is worse than playing directly on the device, but it is playable and on par with Steam Link, which I personally used quite a bit of.

I totally agree with you about that super dumb thread from yesterday though.

reksveks

No you don't need a WiFi 6 router. If you connect the router wired to PS5, then do Direct Connect between smartphone/tablet and PS5 skipping the router latency altogether. If the smartphone has WiFi6 as well as PS5 the direct connection will have less latency.
Yeah, direct connect should be the fastest connection. I wonder if there are any tests on this via different setups.

I personally need WiFi 6 cause I only got a xbox and my Internet is faster now than my isp default router.

KAL2006

Banned
Yeah, direct connect should be the fastest connection. I wonder if there are any tests on this via different setups.

I personally need WiFi 6 cause I only got a xbox and my Internet is faster now than my isp default router.

It's all down to the setup many people knock remote play but didn't give it a try with the correct setup.

Things like using the PSPlay app instead of official app, using ethernet and using direct connection and making sure your smartphone tablet has WiFi 6 goes a long way. Many people right remote play off without trying these steps this is why I wanted to highlight in the OP.

MAX PAYMENT

Its a cool feature. Sometimes I stream my ps5 from upstairs to my ps4 downstairs if I feel like laying on the couch.

KAL2006

Banned
Just tried Diablo 3 and Horizon and honestly if I did a blind test I wouldnt able to tell if I'm streaming. I definitely reccoment doing remote play on a tablet with a case that lets you stand it up. On my Tab S7 Plus the screen is still big enough to appreciate the details and small UI isn't an issue and of course the OLED screen just make the graphics pop.

KAL2006

Banned
Latency is the reason I never invested in streaming. It was too high with the Steam Link, too high with Stadia, too high with GeForce Now. This is no different. I prefer my applications running locally.
Maybe your set up isnt setup right. If your PC connecte through ethernet, also does your PC have a WiFi 6 (or your router) as well as the portable device you are connecting to.

ViolentP

Maybe your set up isnt setup right. If your PC connecte through ethernet, also does your PC have a WiFi 6 (or your router) as well as the portable device you are connecting to.

Yes. Cat6 run throughout the house, WiFi 6 APs covering the entire property. I prefer local performance which is why I bought a Steam Deck.

KAL2006

Banned
Yes. Cat6 run throughout the house, WiFi 6 APs covering the entire property. I prefer local performance which is why I bought a Steam Deck.

Strange that for me input lag isn't noticeable especially on 3rd person action adventure games. In many ways I think in home streaming looks better than native portable device as you can run the game at max settings and you don't have to worry about 2-3 hour battery life.

ViolentP

Strange that for me input lag isn't noticeable especially on 3rd person action adventure games. In many ways I think in home streaming looks better than native portable device as you can run the game at max settings and you don't have to worry about 2-3 hour battery life.
I am primarily a PC player so for me, performance is king. Once streaming gets to level of performance of local, I will certainly give it it's due shot. We simply aren't there yet so I would much rather better performance at 3 hours than sub-par performance for 10.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
This also works on PS4. It is worse than playing directly on the device, but it is playable and on par with Steam Link, which I personally used quite a bit of.

I totally agree with you about that super dumb thread from yesterday though.

Referring to streaming with Wifi6. Steam Link also support more features like more controllers, compatible with Nvidia Shield or Raspberry Pi, 4K streaming etc

I played through almost all of Dark Souls 2 via remote play and it works fine. Just make sure to go into settings and set up streaming quality ro at least 720p and frame rate to high to get that 60fps. I always have my consoles wired, but I also changed my phones wlan connection to 5G.
Dude your profile pic has me fucking dying hahaha. Trespasser is so sick!

KAL2006

Banned
Referring to streaming with Wifi6. Steam Link also support more features like more controllers, compatible with Nvidia Shield or Raspberry Pi, 4K streaming etc

Remote play is compatible with any controller as long as you use the unofficial PSPlay app. Although it's doest support 4K stream, it maxes out at 1080p. But for my use case 1080p is sufficient, it would probably look crap on a massive TV connected to a Shield although you can do that after all Shield is android and the app is for Android.

CamHostage

I miss my Vita remote play. I wonder if Steam Deck will do PS5 remote play well, serious not trolling OP, I like an all in one device versus pairing a controller.

That's one of the reasons why I wish the Vita had survived in production even if there was no third PlayStation Portable on the horizon, it can be such a great companion to the home console to have a portable game player. (I sometimes dream that there was something like a "Vita Pro" with some comfort improvements like back-buttons and more RAM and updated WiFi, maybe a SD card slot... or maybe Sony could just release a "PS Remote Portable" system that was just Vita chipset but in a different form-factor.)

You can just get the app and use your phone or get a cheap Android device (and there are a lot of cheap game players out there now,) but it'd still be nice if it was a PlayStation to do it with. But at least the feature is open to use out there.

KAL2006

Banned

Steam Deck will definitely be able to do remote play. However my tests from the OP was from a device that supports WiFi 6, because Steam Deck doesn't have WiFi 6 I'm not sure if it's the most optimal solution. You can purchase a cheap smartphone with a dual WiFi 6 chip in it and buy s Razor Kishi and keep it attached at all times. It would cost much less than a Deck. Android also can easily emulate all systems ulto Dreamcast. Higher end Android devices can emulate upto 3DS/Wii.

iHaunter

So some people may remember my thread about not being able to get a DualSense controller working on Android. Seconds thoughts of getting a Steam Deck and etc. If I should get a gaming laptop. Well this thread is the culmination of all the past threads.

I have an issue where my PS5 is in the main lounge and sometimes a family member is using the TV. I also like the idea of portable gaming around the house such as the office room when not much work to do, in bed and etc. So I looked at different solutions such as a Steam Deck, gaming laptop and etc.

I decided to give remote play a go and surpsingly its working flawlessly. Id say I'm not a casual in Street Fighter V, and that was the test game for me and it works near perfectly. Im pulling out combos and reacting to attacks perfectly. And this is in the highest bitrate and 1080p. If I was paranoid about input lag I could tone down stream quality more.

So for people who can't get it to work here are the steps I used to ensure there isn't much lag.

- PS5 is connected via ethernet cable to router
- Use the PSPlay app on Android it has way more features and supports DualSense. You can even tone down bitrate as well as resolution.
- Leave your PS5 in rest mode and enable to turn PS5 on with remote device
- Use Direct Connect on PSPlay app (you will need PS5 IP address which is on the settings on PS5). If Direct Connect is laggy use regular Connect, regular Connect maybe better at situations where you are further away from your PS5, but if your PS5 is in a nearby room Direct Connect should be faster.
- Connect your DualSense wired to your streaming device. You may need to use a USB C to USB C cable as most tablets or phones have a USB C input. You can also get a USB C to A connector. Or use other 3rd party android controllers or even Xbox controller.
- Make sure your device you are using has WiFi 6 (this may not be required but in my test I have a WiFi 6 device)

Using the above steps I am now playing my PS5 games portably around the house. And the amount of game time I'm getting since I've had this feature is insane. Before people go and splurge money on a Switch OLED or Steam Deck try this and you can save a ton of money. I know many people want a handheld for not playing outside but around the house, if that's the case remote play is actually worth looking into. By the way Steam Deck does not have WiFi 6 so potentially that can be a worse device if you want it for streaming.
The issue I have with this, is the same issue I have with the Switch.

The screen is too damn small. If I could plug my phone into a portable display or to a hotel TV, then we're talking. Just too much work.

KAL2006

Banned
The issue I have with this, is the same issue I have with the Switch.

The screen is too damn small. If I could plug my phone into a portable display or to a hotel TV, then we're talking. Just too much work.

I play on my 12.4" Tab S7 Plus. I feel like it's the perfect size for portability as well as big enough to see all the details. It helps the aspect ratio is 16:10 with the S7, lots of tablets use a more square aspect ratio making the screen even smaller when gaming.

Kilau

Gold Member
Steam Deck will definitely be able to do remote play. However my tests from the OP was from a device that supports WiFi 6, because Steam Deck doesn't have WiFi 6 I'm not sure if it's the most optimal solution. You can purchase a cheap smartphone with a dual WiFi 6 chip in it and buy s Razor Kishi and keep it attached at all times. It would cost much less than a Deck. Android also can easily emulate all systems ulto Dreamcast. Higher end Android devices can emulate upto 3DS/Wii.
I’m not super concerned about latency, I only ever remote play RPGs or slower paced games.

My Samsung Galaxy S10+ and PS5 are on the same Wifi but I'm getting error 8801e209 on my phone.

Shit is always so difficult with Playstation..

Top Bottom