• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remnant: From The Ashes |OT| Bit Challenging? Then It's Souls-Like!

Barsinister

Banned
Got to fight a giant tree with my daughter as second player. Internet went out right near the end of the fight. We’ll be back giant tree monster!

JRW

[/QUOTE]
This game is a million times easier when you have a full set of traits. My god, the item activation speed, ranged damage and armor traits are game changers.

I just got sent into the forest area by the undying king and ya im starting to feel a lot more powerful , even the Spirit trait alone is crazy I have it at 17 and the ability to regen weapon mods in only a few shots feels pretty amazing lol.

Lanrutcon

I just got sent into the forest area by the undying king and ya im starting to feel a lot more powerful , even the Spirit trait alone is crazy I have it at 17 and the ability to regen weapon mods in only a few shots feels pretty amazing lol.

There are some broken combos, but once you get the 10% damage ring/Mind's Eye and a decent gun you "beat" the scaling curve (at least on normal). Enemies that would take 2 bullets on equal footing now only take one. Throw in Exploiter/Kingslayer/Executioner and bosses with weakness phases are a hell of a lot faster. The hardest element on most bosses are the adds, so once you can down an enemy per bullet you actually have time to focus on the boss.

tragic tragic what's the lore with the bug religion in world 3?

Were the little bugs around the queen people at some point?

Last edited:

Tbone3336

Gold Member
I think this game would be considered a sleeper hit since there was not much hype prior to release, but damn this game is better than I had hoped it would be. It is my goty so far. I hope this is doing well and we get DLC and a sequel down the line.

I have not tried it yet, but I saw streamers doing Melee focused builds, game has some serious depth to it if those are viable.

Arm73

I must say I'm really enjoying this game. I found myself drown to the game to the point that it was the most important thing coming back from work. Sure it has some flows, but the experience is really good. I watched the ACG review and after playing for 10 hours or so I thought that the "wait for a sale " verdict was a bit steep ( even more so for a $40 game ). Sure it might have had some issues on his rig ( which fortunately I haven't encountered so far, and I'm running it on a modest i7 4770 with Radeon RX 590), and nothing that a couple of patches couldn't fix, but the core gameplay is really solid and killing bosses feels really satisfying, especially after 20 tries or so LOL. Wait for a patch would have been a much more accurate verdict in my opinion. Also most of the criticism from this forum seem to be from people that suck at the game and are used to play multiplayer only games like fortnite and the likes where when you die you expect somebody to come and revive you... Where's the challenge at that ? I grew up playing Castlevanias and Contras and this game is right up my alley. Also kudos to the developers for coming up on here explaining their concept and taking player's feedback seriously. I can't praise them enough for putting out such a beautiful game on a tight budget and at such a reasonable price. My advice go ahead an buy it, enjoy what's there and hope for a bigger and better sequel.

tragic

Developer
I think this game would be considered a sleeper hit since there was not much hype prior to release, but damn this game is better than I had hoped it would be. It is my goty so far. I hope this is doing well and we get DLC and a sequel down the line.

I have not tried it yet, but I saw streamers doing Melee focused builds, game has some serious depth to it if those are viable.

Glad you are enjoying it!

Jacob0101

I lost power at home and after 30 hours of playing that game I lost saves also because of a "corrupt profile"? :/ Game should have a backups.

JRW

I feel like I had more trouble than I should've with Undying King lol..

I have a habit of not looking up guides / tips & tricks so I just winged it and tried different combos.

Felt good to finally beat him tonight tho, now onto the final realm :messenger_peace:

Jacob0101

Hi. Could you please fix checkpoints on hard mode in public games? They don't work. I done a few quest with random players and saved i checkpoints, but when i playing solo I must start again.

Keihart

I just bought and started playing this game yesterday. The gun play is fun and the characters don't look bad. The main issue is that my female character doesn't have a shape to her. Her body and animations are very masculine. I almost decided to play a male character instead.
I'm playing a female character because i found all the male charaters worst, hahahaha

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
How have I never heard of this game? It's like last of us meets resident evil meets dark souls. I'm very early on and I could do without going around a hub clicking E to listen to terrible dialogue with NPCs, but the environment and gameplay is fantastic.

I wish games like this had 0 NPCs and dialogue and just tell the story through the environment and the game itself.

GymWolf

How have I never heard of this game? It's like last of us meets resident evil meets dark souls. I'm very early on and I could do without going around a hub clicking E to listen to terrible dialogue with NPCs, but the environment and gameplay is fantastic.

I wish games like this had 0 NPCs and dialogue and just tell the story through the environment and the game itself.
is one of the surprise of 2019 for me, rock solid gameplay and a lot of content for the price.

Kagero

There's a level of jank to this game that holds it back. Hopefully they made enough money to flesh out the small details because what they have here is actually quite spectacular.

Mista

Banned
Fucking game is garbage. Nonsense shit just to make it difficult

This isn’t how you make shit difficult by the fuckery nonsense garbage that happens in the game. Fuck off, not even going to bother.

GymWolf

This isn’t how you make shit difficult by the fuckery nonsense garbage that happens in the game. Fuck off, not even going to bother.
what's the problem?

Mista

Banned
what's the problem?
Bollocks happens. Trying the best I can to avoid fire but guess what? It goes through walls and not just that, it breaks it too. What kind of fucking nonsense is that? Oh you’ve been avoiding all the attacks well, let’s hit you with garbage fuckery.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Isn't that every souls game?

GymWolf

Bollocks happens. Trying the best I can to avoid fire but guess what? It goes through walls and not just that, it breaks it too. What kind of fucking nonsense is that? Oh you’ve been avoiding all the attacks well, let’s hit you with garbage fuckery.
are you talking about the dragon boss?

Pachi72

The game imo is not that good. Sound issues where the sound cuts off, level design is so boring. Looks more like a last generation game. Annoying voices Everytime you go through a large shoot out. The leaves repeat a lot. Specially the dungeons. Enemies design is decent

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, I felt the same way at first when I got a bad roll of parameters for the first big boss fight and had re-seed my world.

It's just too random and spammy to be a good a game, but I think the systems and shooting mechanics are actually rather satisfying. I made it up to the final boss before calling it quits and while I leave with an overall negative impression, I would love to see the dev follow up on the game someday and figure out how to do good level and encounter design. It has potential for sure.

Mista

Banned
Yeah, I felt the same way at first when I got a bad roll of parameters for the first big boss fight and had re-seed my world.

It's just too random and spammy to be a good a game, but I think the systems and shooting mechanics are actually rather satisfying. I made it up to the final boss before calling it quits and while I leave with an overall negative impression, I would love to see the dev follow up on the game someday and figure out how to do good level and encounter design. It has potential for sure.
It has potential indeed but it’s destroyed with the nonsense that happens

The Shepard

Easiest way to kill the final boss in this game is to do it solo. I honestly tried about 5 or 6 times with a group of 3 and hardly done any damage to him and it went on for ages till I ran out of the goods. Done it first time solo, was very easy. Apart from the end boss feeling broken in multiplayer I really enjoyed my time with the game, easily my fave co op experience of the year.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
No. In Souls you die out of doing something stupid and not for being smart

Yeah

Idk. I remember a lot of BS in every souls. I've finished RFtA and I didn't find it anymore bullshitty than any souls game.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It has potential indeed but it’s destroyed with the nonsense that happens
Yeah I like the gameplay from what I have seen but it sounds like a chore to play. Hopefully a sequel gets made or a similar game is made by better devs.

Shrap

Figured I'd bump this as Remnant just got a physical release and a few of you probably grabbed it like me.

I started playing it tonight and it's pretty damn sweet. After all the handholding, movement restriction, lack of challenge and endless cutscenes of FF7 Remake it's nice to play a game that's focused on pure gameplay. I'm down to play pretty much anything with From Software influence and this is damn good example of building off that influence and adding in its own style. The gunplay is satisfyingly impactful and it's good to be able to play a third person shooter where you aren't glued to cover.

A few issues - the performance can hiccup a bit, especially when you travel between areas. It also has that unreal engine 4 issue of textures loading in too late. I'm pretty disappointed that every boss spawns endless minions. it's cool for one or two bosses but all of them? That's just lazy design and takes away the excitement of seeing what boss is next.

Overall though I'm digging it for sure. Here's hoping there's a sequel.

Sygma

Bumpitty bump

Last dlc and conclusion of the story. As always it looks good ! this game was such a sleeper hit, highly recommending it

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Some of those character models at the beginning are rough looking, especially that kid :pie_persevering:

Not a bad time. It’s free and all right now. https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/remnant-from-the-ashes/home

So far, so good. I like fast interactions with NPCs and a get there fast mindset. I want in and out before going straight into combat. Shooting and slashing things is actually quite fun. It reminds me of buying a title last gen and it just being fun rather than ground breaking. Defiance comes to mind, but I didn’t bother with that. It’s probably got more to it than Hellgate London did. I didn’t enjoy that game at all. I’m curious to see what this game achieves in combat and it’s art style later on.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
Game fucking rocks.

Tho I will say the game is buggy as all hell on X1X....but still love it. Def a sleeper hit I reco. Great co-op fun.

(Shameless GamePass plug....but probably never would have tried it otherwise)

I am so disappointed in you guys here at GAF... There is a Remnant sequel and I had to learn it from my facebook feed; I almost had a heart attack.

I didn't watch the game awards and expected any significant news to filter through GAF. But nothing came through; you guys have no taste.

Now I'll have to rely on Rock Paper Shotgun for my news.

BabyYoda

Banned
In fact I'd say most of the reveals from the GA haven't received much interest on this forum kinda weird tbh. Looking forward to this and Space Marine 2 a lot (among others I forget right now).

Top Bottom