• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember this bizarre Final Fantasy 13 marketing?

Stumbled across this today…The Leona Lewis trailer was, um, a reach, that’s for sure. I’m not sure what they were going for (maybe emulating the style of that Gears of War Mad World trailer?) but I think this about when I first tabled my unquestioning devotion to the franchise.

GloaJ93.jpg

FFXIII marketing was much, much better than XV and XVI. I remember seeing this on TV frequently during sporting events. The art style immediately grabs you and the song does as well. This is probably the peak of FF marketing if your goal is to actually grab people's attention and sell copies.

Puscifer

FFXIII marketing was much, much better than XV and XVI. I remember seeing this on TV frequently during sporting events. The art style immediately grabs you and the song does as well. This is probably the peak of FF marketing if your goal is to actually grab people's attention and sell copies.
I'm never forget walking around a mall and seeing Lightning dressed in Luis Vuitton back in 2015 lol

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Yeah this was cringe and I would say the dark days of Japanese console development in general. They were sort of trying to cater to a western audience too much and strayed from what they do best themselves. FFXIII suffered from this too, with its endless tutorials.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I don't think it was so bad. Final Fantasy ended at X as far as I'm concerned. X was the last real FF. Everything since then has been good but very different. It's been selling well so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

ungalo

Perhaps FFXIII was just more appealing.

Go_Ly_Dow

I'm never forget walking around a mall and seeing Lightning dressed in Luis Vuitton back in 2015 lol

Definitely not a fan of FF using licenced music and the Leona Lewis crap, but have to admit I did find this to be pretty cool back in the day.

P.S Lightning sucks

Last edited:
but I think this about when I first tabled my unquestioning devotion to the franchise.
haha I remember the same thing, long time fan since FF I, then suddenly they are changing my "Suteki Da Ne" for this, I think a lot of Japanese companies stumbled in this PS3 era trying to capture the "western" audience when I think the reality was that we always liked Japanese games because they were different and unique.

Anyways, still had huge hopes from FFXIII but it turned out into disappointment, and in some sense I feel like the series never actually recovered, they are still chasing that "gamers like action" trend.

Perhaps FFXIII was just more appealing.
I would agree with that, but I actually like to try and separate my opinion of the product out when actually analyzing the marketing. It's fun to try and determine if a trailer is going to be effective or appealing and why, regardless of how you feel about the game.

Doom85

Yeah this was cringe and I would say the dark days of Japanese console development in general. They were sort of trying to cater to a western audience too much and strayed from what they do best themselves. FFXIII suffered from this too, with its endless tutorials.

Honestly why I can’t agree with those saying the PS3/Wii/360 gen was one of the best, let alone those who say it’s the best. JRPGs were mostly a mess, Capcom was fumbling so much until finally beginning their redemption arc around the mid 2010’s, Konami was on its last legs (and least when it came to shit we wanted), not to mention other genres suffering like 3D platformers beginning to mostly disappear and horror games being mostly shit that gen.

Some stayed the course well like Nintendo of course, and of course western companies were generally doing well, but it wouldn’t be until the following gen that some of these Japanese companies got back on track.

Honestly why I can’t agree with those saying the PS3/Wii/360 gen was one of the best, let alone those who say it’s the best. JRPGs were mostly a mess, Capcom was fumbling so much until finally beginning their redemption arc around the mid 2010’s, Konami was on its last legs (and least when it came to shit we wanted), not to mention other genres suffering like 3D platformers beginning to mostly disappear and horror games being mostly shit that gen.

Some stayed the course well like Nintendo of course, and of course western companies were generally doing well, but it wouldn’t be until the following gen that some of these Japanese companies got back on track.

I would say it's most western developers who are in trouble nowadays. Situation reversed

FeralEcho

Lmao did you guys forget this gem in FFXV?
It was even worse in XV cuz it makes no sense for a band of guys on a roadtrip...

At least in XIII it was about Lightning and her sister...

Go_Ly_Dow

I would say it's most western developers who are in trouble nowadays. Situation reversed
I'd say pretty much every Japanese 3rd party publisher is putting out much, much better games now than they were in the PS3 gen. It's been an improvement with each generation and the recovery began with PS4 once they'd got to grips with a modern development pipeline, UE4 came and the hardware was easier to develop with.

One of the few publishers that for me has gotten worse or basically is now irrelevant is Level 5. From gems like Dark Chronicle/Dark Cloud 2, to the serviceable Ni No Kuni and now nothing I'd enjoy.

I thought the song was great, and it also introduced me to Leona Lewis…

…But it didn’t quite fit a final fantasy game.

Regardless every marketing move from Square Enix must have worked because the game sold really well, and there was a quite a period of time where you’d see Lightning everywhere.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I don't think the song fit the game or the character, but there was nothing wrong with it.
Ironically I find when they use music, especially mainstream it can connect to that film or game making it more memorable I guess.
I mean, this

Hearing that I'm instantly taken back to 2008bwuth Mirrors Edge
I don't even have to be into that music but still I have that connection to it.
Now let see if people can guess what game I connect this song too.

You'll probably cheat and Google it
But I'll post the answer when someone else does 👍

Now let see if people can guess what game I connect this song too.

You'll probably cheat and Google it
But I'll post the answer when someone else does 👍

There were 3 games that used Breathe Me as a marketing song(and they all released kind of close to each other) but I think you’re probably talking about the famous 2008 Ubisoft game that’s known the most for it.

Also, I always liked that game’s second ad song better:

Not many remember it though.

TGO

There were 3 games that used Breathe Me as a marketing song(and they all released kind of close to each other) but I think you’re probably talking about the famous 2008 Ubisoft game that’s known the most for it.

that was from the E3 Trailer

The one I posted was from the TGS Trailer 👍

both excellent uses of music
No we get this

Last edited:

Larxia

Prince of persia 2008 :messenger_heart: I loved that game, such a cool atmosphere. And really cool song too, I remember the trailer!

Last edited:

Larxia

Yes I do 😁
The 2000's was a different.... better time.
Just imagine what they could have done with what they have today back then.
I was thinking the same thing, it was such a different era... It's crazy how Ubisoft meant great things back then.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Should have promoted it based on localization dub talent. This was back during Laura Bailey and Troy Baker in everything gaming craze. Same with Hillis and Mass Effect Stans.

No we get this

To be fair to this trailer music, it at least matches the game’s very high energy and fast moving gameplay.

To me the worst trailer music is when they take a popular 80s or 90s or 00s song and slow it down to make it somber…for an action game/shooter gameplay trailer. They don’t get that it only worked for mad world/Gears because the trailer itself was a custom CG trailer to match the song’s mood.

Last edited:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
one of the best main theme songs of all time

of all time

donkey_oaty

They were still feeling the blow of Phil Fish's comment

Myths

What I remember was the direct feed screenshots they got from the PS version and photoshopped the Xbox 360 buttons over PS buttons.

The graphic difference was always a big deal at the time since it was the first title to be multiplatform on both 360/PS.

• LOL
Reactions: TGO

RespawnX

one of the best main theme songs of all time

of all time

I actually liked the promo(song). She has a good voice and song for FFXII was among the best she produced It also fitted good to the ending. Some people still can't stand the focus on female protagnists and relationships. World exploration was on the weak side. Gameplay only went downwards after FFXIII. Unfortunately, the FF that marked the leap from RPG to action-whatever. After FFXIII I was hoping they'd correct the course a bit, but unfortunately that never happened.

TGO

Some people still can't stand the focus on female protagnists and relationships
People can't stand Lara Croft, Jill Valentine, Claire Redfield, Heather Mason, Jade, Faith Connors, Amicia, Evie Frye, Jesse Faden, Aya Brea, Chloe Frazer, 2B, Bayonetta, Terra Branford, [insert Fatal Frame character here]
I could go on
You're painting with a wide brush

I'd say pretty much every Japanese 3rd party publisher is putting out much, much better games now than they were in the PS3 gen. It's been an improvement with each generation and the recovery began with PS4 once they'd got to grips with a modern development pipeline, UE4 came and the hardware was easier to develop with.

One of the few publishers that for me has gotten worse or basically is now irrelevant is Level 5. From gems like Dark Chronicle/Dark Cloud 2, to the serviceable Ni No Kuni and now nothing I'd enjoy.

That too. Especially since I noticed they been using Unreal Engine a lot more in their games. Speeds up the process I guess.

As for Level 5, what's your issue with them? I love Level 5, but I'm a HUGE Yokai Watch fan. I'm hoping for a english release of Yokai Watch 4+++++ for PS4/Switch. I would guess it will come in 2024 or 2025

Top Bottom