• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember owning games? Why you cant buy games anymore | What you must know about Steam, Ubisoft & EA

ahtlas7

They can’t destroy the code
Movie GIF

Jeeves

Because it makes no bloody difference. If someone selling a disk copy of a game forces you to connect to the internet or make an account in some service, you'll run in the exact same issues you'd run into if you bought the game digitally anyway.
This discussion about losing games or being locked out of them is a software issue, the medium isn't really important.
Sure, with games that make you connect to play them. That's its own can of worms. Maybe it's just me but the vast majority of the games that I play don't do that.

That is straight not true. I already told you I can install and re-install all my games without the need of internet. Theres no "autentication", the only thing that can occur is them asking for an update, which I can decline from the PS4 warning menu and only occurs when I'm with the internet on.
That's being extremely optimistic. Has it been so long that people forgot what it was like before Steam and standardized digital distribution? The height of the DRM Wars against piracy? Discs sold with asinine hardware-locked DRM schemes, online validation, limited activations, and obnoxious intrusive driver software that could break your PC if something went wrong?

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Because it makes no bloody difference. If someone selling a disk copy of a game forces you to connect to the internet or make an account in some service, you'll run in the exact same issues you'd run into if you bought the game digitally anyway.
This discussion about losing games or being locked out of them is a software issue, the medium isn't really important.

Devs can lock you out of parts of your physical games if they so chose anyway, remember online passes for used games? I remember buying used games when that was a thing and I would never play them online to not pay the online pass. To pretend disc copies cannot be messed with in this day and age is naive.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Devs can lock you out of parts of your physical games if they so chose anyway, remember online passes for used games? I remember buying used games when that was a thing and I would never play them online to not pay the online pass. To pretend disc copies cannot be messed with in this day and age is naive.
It’s amazing that Sony didn’t cop more flak for introducing online passes for all their games.

Guilty_AI

Sure, with games that make you connect to play them. That's its own can of worms. Maybe it's just me but the vast majority of the games that I play don't do that.
The vast majority of my digital games don't do that either.

As i said, it really doesn't matter if your copy came from the internet or some disk. What matters are the rules set by the publishers.

Even if you don’t supposedly “fully” own the latest physical games, I feel it’s still the better option because you at least have choices with it unlike digital. Hey, this physical game is near unplayable without its patches and updates. At least I can sell it or do other things with it. With digital, you are basically stuck with it no matter how broken, old or boring it is.

Dude. In 50 to 60 years, we are all gonna be dead anyways, you planning to play these in your grave? For fucks sake, this topic is getting so old now days. Get over yourself and stop crying about not owning things.

Do you own the music too when you pay your Spotify subscriptions? Fuck no. Games are going this way as well due too how convient it is for consumers and cheap as well via Game Pass, that's the future really to he honest. Subscriptions services is where its at going forward for everyone else as well. Its a matter of time. Look at Netflix or HBO max.

GeorgPrime

Banned
What do you do with your physical games when their discs break? Tape them together and pray?

I dont want to disappoint your weak argument.....

i never had something like this happening to me in my life but i had to replace a lot of storage hardware

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
I dont want to disappoint your weak argument.....

i never had something like this happening to me in my life but i had to replace a lot of storage hardware
How long have you been collecting games? I've got cartridges and CDs/DVDs that no longer work from all the way back to my 2600.

You can also back up digital collections. All of my legal ROMs are on my 40TB NAS that's running in RAID.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Do you really care?

"Owning" games is such an archaic concept. People are finally waking up to streaming with a subscription service, which will be the future model for all video games.

Look at it this way. You can spend £70 on a disc or digital copy, or you can spend a few quid a month on a streaming subscription model. You won't "own" the game, but you'll have access to every game ever made for a fraction of the cost, and be able to play it on every device possible. Most people won't care if they don't own the game. They'll look at the cost.

Streaming plus subscription is the way forward for games. We're not there yet, but as soon as a major player, like Microsoft for example, pumps serious money into it and pays for every AAA release to be on their service from day one, with the added bonus of it never leaving the service, then it's then goodnight for physical and digital downloads.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
It's more likely that your house or apartment is getting set on fire and burning all your physical copies than steam banning your account.

We live in 2021 and some on Gaf are still afraid of digital.

God forbid anyone mention GaaS

Inviusx

I buy everything physical because something in my head tells me I'm better off owning the disc than a digital license...

HOWEVER

I now have a gigantic physical collection of PS3 and PS4 games in a box that I honestly will never play again, EVER. The thought of going back and playing a PS3 game at this point point makes me physically ill.

So yeah I don't know what my point is. Anyone want some shitty old games?

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
After gaming for 30+ years I can safely say… it doesn’t matter… hardware breaks, disks rot, patches make everything invalid, just storing everything is a huge pain.

a long long time ago I came to the conclusion that everything I play is pretty much in the moment anyway and I will never get that same experience again.

Top Bottom