• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy working on Sony exclusive

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Waiting it in Xbox Pass with all DLC included and better graphics/performance.

I'm seriously in the same boat. Gamepass has won me over so much that I never want to purchase a game again. From now on, I'll just be waiting for games to appear on Gamepass and actively campaigning for all AAA games to be on Gamepass from day one.

Why should we need to drop £70 for games? That's so archaic and doesn't make sense when I can pay £10.99 per month? If publishers don't want to put their games on Gamepass, then there is a very strong chance I won't be playing.

Papacheeks

Banned
There a rumor that Doctor Strange will appear in Spiderman 2 in a side quest/easter or something, imagine if Sony is funding a Doctor Strange game with Remedy

Doctor-Strange-Avengers-Infinity-War-2018-doctor-strange-2016-42650148-268-165.gif

I have not heard that it was Doctor strange, but I do know Sony has been in talks with Marvel for another game thats not spiderman. Thats all I can say on it, from what I've heard. This also was happening while negotiations were happening in 2019. Avengers bombing probably pushed things in Sony's favor.

Your going to see more license games go to Sony over the course of the next couple years during their new deal with Marvel. When they negotiated the new deal, game license was one of the things that was brought up. Marvel had existing contracts with Nintendo/Square, but Sony used their leverage of how well Spiderman performed. ANd seeing how well miles performed, I think Marvel knows the better way forward is giving the license to Sony and their studios.

Other studio chatter has also hinted that Higher ups from studios like Druckman are in on these discussions with Sony/marvel for game licenses. Expect to hear more later next year if not leaked by end of this year.

Orpheum

I loved Control so whatever their next project is, i'm excited.

Alan wake 2 would be cool as it increases the chances of maybe an alan wake 1 remaster on a sony console. I've only seen footage and it looks really cool

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I had it in my head that Epic Games owned them, not realising that it was in relation to publishing 2 games. Remedy are a good studio, I enjoyed Control and its platinum (especially when I got the Ultimate version on PS+). I hope this is new IP as I don't like walled off sequels.

cragarmi

Likely to be a new IP, within their shared universe. A year before a PC release (epic store), 2 years before an Xbox/Game pass version. Seems to be Sony's preferred deal at the moment. (Squenix)

Last edited:

SoraNoKuni

That's great, control was one of the best games I played last gen.
The storytelling and universe it created was executed perfectly.

As pure game mechanics it was good but not as much the art direction and story/universe though.

Imagine them have the blessings of Sony, hope it's true and can't wait to see what's in store.

Very talented studio with interesting ideas (based on my experience with Control) but they did not realize their entire potential. Still enjoyable game. If they do manage to put everything together perfectly in the next game, it’s gonna be spectacular.

Might get accused of preemptive "coping," but as someone who's been playing on Xbox since the 360, I've never really gotten in to Remedy's games. Like they all have pretty good stories, but the gameplay always gets really repetitive.

Alan Wake is pretty cool, but the "light up the enemies then head shot them" gets old really fast.

Quantum Break is cool, but the TV show interludes between game chapters just kills my desire to play it. Really wish it just had the whole story in game cut up into more smaller, spaced out cutscenes.

I was waiting for next gen to try Control since the base console versions were so ass, but now that I have a next gen system I just don't really care. I have too many other games to play.

Remedy is kinda overrated, which I hate to say, because I would love to support a company that makes more new IPs than sequels, but they always seem to prioritize story over gameplay in a way that loses my attention.

Last edited:

Duchess

I'm annoyed that I missed out on Control for PS5 via PS+.

I got bored with PS+'s lacklustre offerings (which I never played) and so switched to PS Now. Then Sony started throwing out loads of great titles on PS+, and I've missed out on them.

Well, Control is £20 on PSN until the end of the month. I bet I'll buy it, and then it'll show up on PS Now in May :)

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Sounds good to me, I hope it pans out. I recently tried Alan Wake for the first time (PC) and I liked it. It didn't age super well but one could tell it would have been considered a very good game back when it launched. If they could bring some of that magic, modernized, to the PS5 I'd be thankful.

If not then whatever, looking forward to what they can bring.

ClosBSAS

Its gonna be alan wake 2 for ps5 and pc via epic games. Kinda obvious with rumors.

Last edited:

Elios83

Alan Wake 2 with a decent budget would be cool for my personal tastes, although the issue is that the PS fanbase doesn't know the first game and the original was already not a big commercial success + many years have passed since the original so the IP is basically old and unused= not of much value.
All these reasons make me think it's going to be a new IP.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
How many games is Remedy making? Didn't they just signed a deal with Epic for 2 games and the rumor is one of those games is Alan Wake 2? Now they're making a 3rd game for Sony. I didn't know Remedy had multiple development teams.

In the past Remedy took forever to make 1 game. They must have greatly expanded their studio to now be working on several games at once and that's great since the more Remedy games the better.

I love Alan Wake, Quantum Break was one of my favorite games last gen and I can't wait to play Crossfire X.. I bought Control UE in the holiday sale but haven't had a chance to play it yet. I'm pretty sure I'll love that game too.

If this rumor is true it's a great get for PS5 owners.

Saber

Gold Member
I'm not that much on board on this, because I simply find Control lamish and the stuff of connecting games will make this story even more weird and unninteresting.

If anything I would be ok if they either re-release Alan Wake or make Alan Wake 2 a totally separate thing, while retain it's original mechanics.

In the past Remedy took forever to make 1 game. They must have greatly expanded their studio to now be working on several games at once and that's great since the more Remedy games the better.

I love Alan Wake, Quantum Break was one of my favorite games last gen and I can't wait to play Crossfire X.. I bought Control UE in the holiday sale but haven't had a chance to play it yet. I'm pretty sure I'll love that game too.

If this rumor is true it's a great get for PS5 owners.
I didn't like Control at all. I had to force myself to finish it and I did it by enabling the two most agregious cheats the game has, the unlimited life and the 1 shot 1 kill cheat (thankfully they don't disable achievements.) I didn't like Jesse at all, weakest main character Remedy has ever made and I found the story convoluted and boring. Obviously that's just my opinion, the game received almost critical acclaim so I might be in the minority.

Still, I really liked Quantum Break and my opinion of Alan Wake has improved after being critical of it at first so I'm keeping an eye out for whatever Remedy makes next.

Last edited:

yurinka

If real (I'd take it with a ton of salt until officially announced) is Sony testing the waters with a 2nd party game before buying them? Or do you think they are already in talks to buy them and will announce at the same time the game and the studio purchase?

Leyasu

Banned
Control was quite a good game. I wasn’t overly impressed with Alan Wake and quantum break though. I am so-so on Remedy.

jaysius

Banned
After that lukewarm to boring(the fucking stupid hotel nonsense) gameplay technical nightmare of Control(ran like shit even on the "pro" versions of consoles) Remedy can stay there.

Quantum Break was better than Control in so many ways, even the cheesy AF live action stuff was great. The live action cheese was a better narrative device than the boring sit downs you were forced through for the story of Control.

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
Loved Max Payne 1 & 2, Alan Wake and have yet to play Control and Quantum Break.
The more well crafted single player experiences the better.

VulcanRaven

There were also rumors that they are making Alan Wake 2 with Epic. I doubt its this because the first game was only on Xbox.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I have not heard that it was Doctor strange, but I do know Sony has been in talks with Marvel for another game thats not spiderman. Thats all I can say on it, from what I've heard. This also was happening while negotiations were happening in 2019. Avengers bombing probably pushed things in Sony's favor.

Your going to see more license games go to Sony over the course of the next couple years during their new deal with Marvel. When they negotiated the new deal, game license was one of the things that was brought up. Marvel had existing contracts with Nintendo/Square, but Sony used their leverage of how well Spiderman performed. ANd seeing how well miles performed, I think Marvel knows the better way forward is giving the license to Sony and their studios.

Other studio chatter has also hinted that Higher ups from studios like Druckman are in on these discussions with Sony/marvel for game licenses. Expect to hear more later next year if not leaked by end of this year.
So, potentially sonys big names being tasked with pumping out marvel games.

Hmmmm.

I hope I can get a new hulk ultimate destruction but I imagine that would feel too much like spider man.

Dr strange would be amazing though.

jakinov

So now is a good thing to moneyhat third parties exclusives, thats how it works rights? it dependes of the company that is paying to decide if it is a good or bad practice, correct?
It was always okay to pay third party [independent studios] for exclusives. Independently owned studios are always looking for a publisher and if you give them a better deal or you are the only one to give them a deal then they will make a deal. People just conflate going to other companies and compelling them to change their deal in your favor with contracting a independent third party studio to make a game for you exclusively.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
So, potentially sonys big names being tasked with pumping out marvel games.

Hmmmm.

I hope I can get a new hulk ultimate destruction but I imagine that would feel too much like spider man.

Dr strange would be amazing though.
Marvel doesn't know enough about games to be skeptical.

Spider-Man basically copied Arkham Asylum completely in terms of gameplay, and then introduced a really well designed traversal and web-swinging system on top. It's a great game. Miles Morales is less impressive, but it's obviously a spin-off.

What studios is Sony going to use to make new gameplay systems for more super-hero games? For over a decade, we've had 1 formula that worked for super-hero games and it was Arkham Asylum, and everyone has copied it since then with very little innovation. Further Marvel games could easily turn into complete mediocrity, wasting Sony studio time when most of these studios only put out 1-2 games a gen. I'm still waiting to see what Insomniac does to even keep Spider Man 2 interesting and innovative. Even Rocksteady seems to be struggling with Suicide Squad.

Last edited:

Fake

Spider-Man basically copied Arkham Asylum completely in terms of gameplay, and then introduced a really well designed traversal and web-swinging system on top. It's a great game. Miles Morales is less impressive, but it's obviously a spin-off.

What studios is Sony going to use to make new gameplay systems for more super-hero games? For almost a decade, we've had 1 formula that worked for super-hero games and it was Arkham Asylum, and everyone has copied it since then with very little innovation. Further Marvel games could easily turn into complete mediocrity, wasting Sony studio time when most of these studios only put out 1-2 games a gen. I'm still waiting to see what Insomniac does to even keep Spider Man 2 interesting and innovative. Even Rocksteady seems to be struggling with Suicide Squad.

Is actually kinda worrying thinking about how they will make the new Spider-Man without repeating all the game again and again. And to be fair, Marvel in gaming was never at good spot unlike DC with Injustice and Batman, until the recent Spider-Man of course.

reksveks

What studios is Sony going to use to make new gameplay systems for more super-hero games? For almost a decade, we've had 1 formula that worked for super-hero games and it was Arkham Asylum, and everyone has copied it since then with very little innovation.
My brain turned off after about 20 hrs into the first game honestly cause it became so repetitive. I am not massively looking forward to the sequels.

Top Bottom