• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy is remaking Max Payne 1/2 for modern consoles + PC

Wait they said this about Alan Wake..
Still excited but I'm keeping my expectations in check
Alan Wake remaster was a quick cash grab, this is financially backed by RStar with a AAA game budget (for a Remedy AAA not RStar obviously), and it's current gen only.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Not for me - played the originals and thus have no need for remakes.
Especially because remakes tend to mess things up by making them more "accessible".

Either way, this does increase the chances of more good stuff by Remedy, so hooray for that!

ShadowNate

I love the originals. Especially the first game. I don't think they need remakes -- maybe a remaster and a strong pass of bug fixing. However, by "remake" I'm thinking more of RE remakes and not moving the game "as is" to a modern engine.

But it is what it is. Hopefully they'll be good games, and include mod support that raised the old ones from great to awesome -- although somehow I doubt they'll bother with it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Alright alright alright. Never actually finished the 2nd.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Alan Wake remaster was a quick cash grab, this is financially backed by RStar with a AAA game budget (for a Remedy AAA not RStar obviously), and it's current gen only.
Everyone knows that but the way they worded it got a lot of people disappointed when it was just a upres with improvements.
I thought it was fine but the people in the AWR threads wasn't happy and just like you called it a cash grab.

tusharngf

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Skifi28

This is either going to be brilliant or absolutely terrible. My money's on terrible. When was the last time people were satisfied with a remaster/remake, mafia?

Last edited:
This is pretty huge. One of the biggest games of all-time in my view, my first ever reason to buy my own graphics card for my PC, a Geforce 3 Ti500, was because of the first Max Payne after seeing it played on an episode of, I think, 'Call for Help' with Leo Laporte on ZDTV through my DirecTV (don't think it was called TechTV or G4TV just yet).

fatmarco

I'd love to see a Remedy Max Payne sequel.

As much as I can appreciate what Max Payne 3 is, it's not a Max Payne game tonally, narratively etc. It's a "Man on Fire" game with slow mo shoot outs, that essentially betrays the narrative of the first two games by having Max devolve into a depressed fat drunk, essentially to allow for his character redesign mid game. It just doesn't fit.

Also it would have been nice to have been able to walk through a doorway without a cutscene doing for me.

Oh shit .. i love Max Payne, it's one of my favorite series. I'm not holding my breath, but a lot of my worries are alleviated by the fact that Remedy themselves are going to handle this, backed financially by Rockstar. I doubt they'll fuck around censoring anything or not including the song.

anthraticus

Banned
Oh shit .. i love Max Payne, it's one of my favorite series. I'm not holding my breath, but a lot of my worries are alleviated by the fact that Remedy themselves are going to handle this, backed financially by Rockstar. I doubt they'll fuck around censoring anything or not including the song.
The og staff that worked on the original games have long since moved on and been replaced by younger SJWs, so don't get your hopes up.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It wasn't a cash grab in except the way that every game released is a cash grab. It was actually one of better done remasters I have seen. It played very well on current gen systems and was a nice way for those who never played the originals to finally play it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Im not expecting much since the AW remaster...
What does this mean? AW remaster was about as great as you can expect for a remaster. It had enough of a visual upgrade and they most importantly fixed the absolutely piss poor facial animations that were awful even for 2010 standards. It didn't have a ton of bugs (in fact I didn't notice any) and played rather well. My only real issue with it was that they should have fixed/tweaked stamina so that AW wasn't done running after 2 seconds.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Nostalgia can be an ugly thing sometimes. I am talking pure mechanics here while ignoring everything else. You can't deny that MX3 improves on the shooting mechanics.

I re-played the entire trilogy late last year on PC. It's not nostalgia talking. Max Payne 2 is peak 3rd person shooting. Fluid controls > "cinematic" animations.

Let me quote myself from last November:

Shooting mechanics are better in 2. More responsive. 3 is clunky with super realistic "Rockstar style" animations. The addition of cover mechanic also hurt the game.

And yes, story is better in 2. Story, writing, atmosphere, gunplay. 2 is the perfect 3rd person action shooting game. A true masterpiece.

I think my only request is they keep the cutscene style the same. I thought it was pretty unique and added to the game for me.

Really glad these games are getting the remake treatment though, I'd definitely be interested in playing the first two again.

Top Bottom