• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remaking The Simpsons Hit and Run, But its Open World

jigglet

Banned
Kind of sick of these projects that get shown, go sideways for 5 years then get abandoned. Would be hyped if this was the announcement of a finished mod.

Edit: I see, it’s not even attempting a release

Last edited:

wvnative

I never played the original, but I thought the original WAS open world? Was it not? Kinda looks like it is from all the youtube footage I've seen over the years.

Bridges

I never played the original, but I thought the original WAS open world? Was it not? Kinda looks like it is from all the youtube footage I've seen over the years.
In the original game, Springfield is segmented into a handful of different maps. As you progress the story, you will switch characters and go through all the different maps, and eventually you will go through the maps again at nighttime as different characters with new missions and some slight modifications to the layout.

Each map is structured like a GTA game so you are technically getting "open world level design" but what the video is getting at is that it has merged each map together into one seamless "Open World" instead of having the player navigate a chunk at a time.

wvnative

In the original game, Springfield is segmented into a handful of different maps. As you progress the story, you will switch characters and go through all the different maps, and eventually you will go through the maps again at nighttime as different characters with new missions and some slight modifications to the layout.

Each map is structured like a GTA game so you are technically getting "open world level design" but what the video is getting at is that it has merged each map together into one seamless "Open World" instead of having the player navigate a chunk at a time.

Thanks for the clarification!

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Not a sooper big fan of AI-rescaling, but when it does work it can work well. In this case, I think it might be a case of seeing things in motion. Like the AI-rescaling done in the FF9 fan project (I forget the name) works because it mask a lot of issues with the paint like approach to the upscaling in that game.

Still, I imagine this is a fun project for the author (I think he's a bit too impressed with some of the results, but when its your own - ) and the fact that I guess there hasn't been or is any discussion of a fully open-world Springfield seems wild to me. Maybe they don't want to put anything in canon structurally to keep the shows flexibility (by that I mean the parking lot of the Nuclear Power Plant stretching all the way back to the Simpson's house in one episode for a one-episode joke).

Can we stop calling imported game assets into unreal engine and using generic third person controls without any of the gameplay, original audio, mission structure, storyline, cutscenes, "remakes" please? If he actually did that it would take him years. Now he's just stringing along people who have no idea what game development actually entails and cashing in on his YouTube views. Scummy behavior.

Last edited:

gamer82

never played the original but it looks great shame it will never get released , maybe a studio should get in touch and make this into a release im sure it would sell well.

I wouldn't mind a redo of the arcade game as well or a sequel to it. turtles are coming back, lets bring the Simpsons back as well.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

3:00 Tutorial Mission: The Cola Caper
4:30 Mission 1: SMRT
6:44 Mission 2: Petty Theft Homer
10:43 Mission 3: Office Spaced
14:22 Mission 4: Blind Big Brother
17:30 Mission 5: Flowers By Irene
19:05 Mission 6: Bonestorm Storm
22:00 Mission 7: The Fat and the Furious

Top Bottom