• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remakes of 8th gen games - How much time do *you* think should pass from the original game release?

How long before 8th gen games (TW3, Fallout 4, Resident Evil 7, RDR2, etc) get full/partial remakes?

• 5 - 9 years

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • 10 years (start seeing them from 2022)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • 15 years (start seeing them 4 years from now)

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • 20 years (start seeing them 9 years from now)

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • 25 years (start seeing them 14 years from now)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • 30+ years (start seeing them 19 years from now)

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Extremist option (no remakes should ever be made)

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters

kicker

Banned
In my opinion, a lot of remakes being made is a negative sign that the big budget side of the industry is creatively bankrupt and risk-averse.
Still, I though it would be fun to poll neogaf on: how much time do *you* think should pass between full remakes for 8th gen games?

You can use yours, but this is my completely subjective definition of remakes and remasters :
Remaster - New visual presentation, performance improvements, Same storyline, same game design

Partial Remake - New visual presentation, Updated engine, same or slightly modified storyline, same game design

Full Remake - New or heavily modified game design, Different engine from original game, new visual presentation, new or alternate storyline

Time between original and remake:
GTA trilogy (partial remake) - 17 years (between san andreas and remake)
RE2 - 20 years
RE3 - 21 years
RE4 - 18 years
Dead Space (partial remake)- 15 years
Metroid Prime - 21 years
Last of Us (partial remake) - 9 years
FFVII - 23 years

How much time do you think should pass before 8th gen games (8th gen started in 2012 and ended in 2020, roughly) get full or partial remakes?

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Less and less necessary every generation. TLOU seemed ridiculous to me, PS4 version looks and plays absolutely fine and a PC port would have sufficed. I'd like to think all that work didn't impact the time it'll take them to make something new, but it probably did to some degree.

What I want is more complete re-imaginings of old games like RE2 and (although I haven't played it yet) FF7. RE2 was phenomenal because it was a completely new experience in a familiar world.

Edder1

I'd say if you touch them up in the next 10 or so years then you only need to remaster them in the vain of high quality remasters like COD Modern Warfare games. If it's 15 years or more the a remake is probably justified.

Last edited:

kicker

Banned
Don`t forget the development time.
Well, yeah, but the thread is about 8th gen games specifically because of the recency factor.

I put a definition of what I consider a full remake in the op to cover the idea of a specific type of technical jump, to allow discussion

digdug2

I honestly don't think that this is the only sign of them being creatively bankrupt. There are other things that show that- such as them being obviously risk-averse, not unlike the movie industry. Why bankroll something pushing the envelope that may fail, when you know that Assassin's Creed 26 will net a huge profit?

I appreciate many of these remakes, especially if they are of games where the creators had a huge vision, but the technology wasn't quite there yet. In addition, if they're locked to a console that's notoriously hard to emulate (PS3), or their code is absolute spaghetti dogshit (Bloodborne), I don't see the harm in bringing them up to today's standards.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I don’t know, 2-3 hardware generations. But preferably after there’s been some major improvements within the genre that’ll make a difference.

Then again I feel like there are exceptions. Like with PSV and WiiU. When consoles fail miserably the amazing games shouldn’t have to be stuck on them for X amount of time.

Last edited:
I'd say almost everything from the PS360 era is perfectly fine if just remastered/ with a resolution increase. Same for 2D games from SNES times. Although AI upscalers probably can do proper remakes of these games quite easily, redrawing every sprite in a few seconds with much more detail.
Fully remaking anything, PS2 and older, is fine by me.
I doubt, even if we get to 8k and whatnot, I'd "need" PS4 remasters ever. 4k is nice, but FHD with that level of detail is already good enough. Maybe for VR remasters, higher resolutions for a better FOV helps a lot. Maybe change a bit of code to allow faster loading at most. But proper remakes? Only if they twist some mechanics, maybe.
Eventually we will have the hw sauce to have proper RT, but adding that shit to old games and sell remakes for it? No, thank you.
Remastering PS4 games (like Life is Strange did instead of a regular collection) for PS4 is entirely bizzare.
Last of Us Part 1 was imho a waste of time. But if it makes them money, I don't have to be delighted by them spending time workng on this.
GTA remake is a joke. The old games have terrible or just weird controls, fixing that would have sufficed, but the artstyle still works and since they tried to stay true to it anyway it was entirely a waste of time. Mafia effort on the other hand that would be a treatment that might have changed and improved the trilogy. Mafia meddled with the story and the main character's character a bit though and missed imho the mark, so allowing a new different studio to work on someones else vision is a bit weird. But okay, maybe if I look at it like the former music industry, where a song was sometimes done by multiple artist, so remakes don't have to be 1:1 similar but are just interpretation of various teams.
So overall I'd always rather have new games, but in some cases a remake might elevate some old garbage sufficiently enough to make it worthwhile.

SeraphJan

A remake need to serve some purpose other than just making the game look more beautiful.

A perfect example is RE2R, it made the newer generation of gamer experience some of the greatest 90s design philosophy

Last of us part 1 to me is still the most pointless remake of all, I still prefer TLOU Remaster version

How long? I guess long enough for newer generation of gamer to emerge

Last edited:
Top Bottom