• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remake or new IP? What does NeoGAF want Bluepoint to do next?

What are you hoping Bluepoint Games reveals next?

• Hoping they make an all new original IP.

Votes: 65 27.7%
  • Hoping they remake a PlayStation classic.

Votes: 170 72.3%

• Total voters

yurinka

Man I rustled some jimmies there. I hope you're OK.
Fucked up logic is assuming that a studio built to port games is somehow equipped to make their own games from scratch. They're not built for that. It requires different personnel. Different leadership. They would need to hire the appropriate people to build their own project. It's not a simple flip of the switch.
Bluepoint does remakes, which is much more than ports and requires the same people than a brand new game: producers, designers, artists, musicians, audio designers, programmers, testers, localization, marketing etc. In fact they need to be more skilled than normal devs because in addition to have their own vision and make a great game, they must understand the work they use as reference, which specially for coders it's pain in the ass.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Bluepoint does remakes, which is much more than ports and requires the same people than a brand new game: producers, designers, artists, musicians, audio designers, programmers, testers, localization, marketing etc. In fact they need to be more skilled than normal devs because in addition to have their own vision and make a great game, they must understand the work they use as reference, which specially for coders it's pain in the ass.
Wrong. It’s far easier to build something that has a blueprint than it is to build something without one. You can’t be serious if you expect people to believe otherwise.

If Sony wants to see if Bluepoint can make their own game, a good way to do that would be to have them make the 6th archstone in DLC in Demons Souls. Make that 100% their own design with minimal input from From. If it ends up being good and we’ll received, Sony should look into giving them their own project like they did with Sony Bend. I’d be in favor of that.

But this idea that Bluepoint is ready to build their own game when all they have done is remake other people’s games, is premature.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
With all the bullshit cryptic tweets and previews they're prone to doing I just hope they stfu no matter what project they're on.

Thirty7ven

Banned
MGS has such a close association with PlayStation, such an historic franchise for the brand, that I almost feel like it’s irresponsible not to have somebody like Bluepoint doing a full remake of MGS 1,2,3,4. Wait long enough and interest will just die as those fans get too old to give a shit anymore.

wvnative

That’s already been done. Going Commando is the one they should remake.

No it hasn't.

Ideally I want a remake of the whole PS2 trilogy but with the level of detail bluepoint would likely go for, it's probably only feasible to do one at a time, in which case it should be the original as it's most in need imo.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
A new IP that may or may not be good.
Or a remake to any of one of the best games ever made that's been lost in time🤔

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
No it hasn't.

Ideally I want a remake of the whole PS2 trilogy but with the level of detail bluepoint would likely go for, it's probably only feasible to do one at a time, in which case it should be the original as it's most in need imo.
Well hello!!!
9599131_sd.jpg

Depending on the definition, the first game did get a remake. It wasn't an exact carbon copy remake. I view a remake as anything that reimagines a game. Demons Souls was a copy of the first game, with updated visuals but minimal gameplay changes.

What I think you want is a remaster that is a carbon copy of the very first 2001 game with Rift Apart visuals. Sure, I could get behind that. Same with all of them really.

Personally, I would be happy if they re-released every game released on PS3 (including the collection of the PS2 games) with an update to 4K/120 and strafing in the first game. The visual still hold up pretty well given the art style. One giant 8-game package. Very cheap project and one I would easily pay $60 for. The first 3 games, Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty, A Crack in Time, Into the Nexus and that mediocre Arena game Deadlocked.

One more remake, and then let them do a game of their own and with it's possible success, have the company big enough to have two teams to work hand-in-hand with remakes and original IP.

But to be honest, i'm perfectly fine with them staying the same for a few more years.

There's no reason not to have them continue making remakes, but there is definitely a good reason to let them slowly make their own path in the future - much like Bend Studio and Day's Gone.

wvnative

Well hello!!!
9599131_sd.jpg

Depending on the definition, the first game did get a remake. It wasn't an exact carbon copy remake. I view a remake as anything that reimagines a game. Demons Souls was a copy of the first game, with updated visuals but minimal gameplay changes.

What I think you want is a remaster that is a carbon copy of the very first 2001 game with Rift Apart visuals. Sure, I could get behind that. Same with all of them really.

Personally, I would be happy if they re-released every game released on PS3 (including the collection of the PS2 games) with an update to 4K/120 and strafing in the first game. The visual still hold up pretty well given the art style. One giant 8-game package. Very cheap project and one I would easily pay $60 for. The first 3 games, Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty, A Crack in Time, Into the Nexus and that mediocre Arena game Deadlocked.

That is a total reboot and complete bastardization, FF7 remake is more of a faithful remake lol.

Carbon copy seems a strong word for what I want, I'm thinking a refinement that doesn't lose the original's core design.

Update the controls, add QOL improvments, redo voices with James Arnold Taylor, maybe add some extra content that was cut from the original or add new content where it makes sense.

BUT keep the tone/atmosphere in tact, keep the slower pace and more strategic combat design, keep the music or at least style of music. Ya'know, a faithful remake that knows where to improve without losing the essence of what was there before

I’m too old for new games until Pfizer makes me immortal.
MGS is like my Star Wars, give me that newly remastered edition full of Kojima Lucas’s newly approved changes. Lol

Amiga

Wrong. It’s far easier to build something that has a blueprint than it is to build something without one. You can’t be serious if you expect people to believe otherwise.

If Sony wants to see if Bluepoint can make their own game, a good way to do that would be to have them make the 6th archstone in DLC in Demons Souls. Make that 100% their own design with minimal input from From. If it ends up being good and we’ll received, Sony should look into giving them their own project like they did with Sony Bend. I’d be in favor of that.

But this idea that Bluepoint is ready to build their own game when all they have done is remake other people’s games, is premature.

agree. some studios have excellent technical skill but know nothing about storyboards or gameplay design. a big gaming studio requires several departments with different specialized expertise that barley crossover outside of the industry.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
People wishing just for remakes wtf. Go play the old game or request a simple 4k60 remaster.
Remaking is a wasted effort. What about the new stuff?

bender

What time is it?
People wishing just for remakes wtf. Go play the old game or request a simple 4k60 remaster.
Remaking is a wasted effort. What about the new stuff?

Remakes are what Bluepoint are GREAT at and there is nothing wrong with that nor is wanting them to continue doing so. It does sound like their next project will be an original game and I'm sure that is part of the acquisition negotiations that Sony/Bluepoint had.

KZ2 remake with multiplayer and im going ape shit. like I may legit get dragged out of my apartment in handcuffs.
I'm coming with you! We could dance in the street naked.

This reminds me of the time I played Carnivores: Dinosaur Hunter and hunted the T-Rex. In order to kill it you need to shoot it in the eyeball while it's sprinting at you. I killed it with a pistol. I screamed and ran out of my house into the street screaming with my hands in the air with excitement.

Keep letting them do what they're good at. Developing new IP should only be in the cards if they pitch the idea.

What I see as the most logical extension for Bluepoint is to keep the bulk of their team updating old titles (see list below for ideas for their next project) but to also give them point on trying to bring the back catalog to PS5 (i.e. PS1, PS2, and PS3 titles with full trophy support and the like).

Next games they should contemplate (only considering IPs within Sony's catalog or its reach):

- Bloodborne (this is the most obvious project they should be targeting; immense consumer demand, FromSoft is preoccupied with other projects, and similar updates in line with what they did to Demon's Souls)
- Metal Gear Solid (not just the original, but the entire franchise up to MGS4/Peace Walker; not sure Konami would be willing to cede all development control and the split in revenue is likely illogical)
- Twisted Metal (TV show is coming and likely a new game with it; why not prime the pump?)
- God Of War & God Of War II
- ICO
- Ape Escape

It gets tricky with a few franchises, namely Killzone, Resistance, and Syphon Filter (and to some extent God Of War). The studios who developed those games are all still around but likely too busy with other projects to go back and revisit their older titles, but I imagine they would want to if Sony afforded them the opportunity and might hold a grudge if Sony outsourced the titles Bluepoint. Problem being is opportunity cost. Insomniac is better served to keep developing new titles rather than re-releasing their old ones.

Ryu Kaiba

The chances of them making a new IP that I actually find appealing is slim.
We need more BluePoints in the industry, until then they are needed to give some classics new light.

Apeopleman

in this order:

SOCOM 2
resistance 1 mulitplayer
killzone 2 multiplayer

but we know guerilla games is working on socom already 😉

I hate remakes, but there’s no evidence they can deliver original content so I’m sure they were acquired for a very specific purpose…

ParaSeoul

If its a remake,I just hope they have the original creators involved. Don't want another Demons souls remake where it felt like everything except the art direction was perfect.

I hate remakes, but there’s no evidence they can deliver original content so I’m sure they were acquired for a very specific purpose…
So you hate other people being happy about their favorites games being brought to life again? You must be fun at parties.

So you hate other people being happy about their favorites games being brought to life again? You must be fun at parties.
Not at all what I said :messenger_tears_of_joy:

‘I hate remakes’ is a perfectly acceptable position for me to take. I didn’t say anyone else has to hate remakes… No need to be so aggressive.

Ryu Kaiba

A lot of people saying MGS or Legend of Dragoon and Vagrant Story.
It's really the job of Konami and Square Enix to do these things. it'd be nice if they did then we could burn through the list of high demand remakes faster and it would be much easier to demand Bluepoint make an original game.

That being said, it's rumored that Konami is doing Metal gear starting with 3 which is chronologically 1st in line, and Square is planning a 9 remake so it seems some of these wishes are just a matter of time.

Last edited:

Banned
since this right here is the only game they ever made
OIP.QhCTEbrKnZx7_hav-3IiVwHaEK

I would be interested in what they can do now after all these years... but it also doesn't really give me confidence that they could make a great game given their lack of a portfolio

Not at all what I said :messenger_tears_of_joy:

‘I hate remakes’ is a perfectly acceptable position for me to take. I didn’t say anyone else has to hate remakes… No need to be so aggressive.
Where in my post am I aggressive lol? I didn't call you names or put in any exclamation points. It was a sarcastic remark.

Handel

Remake as Sony has so many great games they own the rights for that have been left to rot in bad states and usually also unable to be played easily as they're not on digital storefronts. Bluepoint is one of the few competent remaster/remake studios, and I have my doubts on them making their own game considering what changes they do make to their largely 1:1 visual remakes end up being bad.

I need a Legend of Dragoon remaster/remake with improved translation and loading times. Also add bow additions.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
They have original content in development so Sony must've liked whatever they showed of their new game

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
since this right here is the only game they ever made
OIP.QhCTEbrKnZx7_hav-3IiVwHaEK

I would be interested in what they can do now after all these years... but it also doesn't really give me confidence that they could make a great game given their lack of a portfolio
At least we know whatever they're making will look amazing visually, they'll probably nail the combat too

Top Bottom