• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Relive Retro Frights and Polygons With the Haunted PS1 Demo Disc.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

If you never heard of Haunted PS1, it is a community of indie game developers who create low res horror games in the same vein as the original Silent Hill and Resident Evil, as well as some contemporary games that don’t have 90s counterparts. This federation of frights features its own dedicated Itch.io page, where gamers can purchase these retro horror experiences and download them onto PC, but the community is also compiling a collection of free demos known as the Haunted PS1 Demo Disc.

Despite its name, the Haunted PS1 Demo Disc isn’t actually a physical disc, and none of the games can actually run on PlayStation 1 (these are PC games, remember). However, the demo disc features some trippy cover art that is a love letter to PS1 demo discs of yore.

The Haunted PS1 Demo Disc will be available on Thursday, February 6th on the community’s Itch.io page for the price of free.

EctoPrime

The Ps1 got an actual horror themed game demo disc in Europe.

Silent Hill, Doom, Dino Crisis, Exhumed, Soul Reaver, Deathtrap Dungeon amongst others.

I wonder if this has an autorun game selection menu like old pc game coverdiscs had years ago to run installers or do the games load directly from the disc.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Roused by the crackle of static, a lingering sense of dread crawls across the floor. You sit alone in your room. A dimly lit memory repeats in your head. 17 demos too horrible to describe keep you from your bed. Each one is a personally crafted nightmare. You've tried to tell others, no one understands. A CRT you don't remember owning flashes to life. Frozen in place you look upon the flickering screen to spy a dismal, bloodied scene. A cracked and faded jewel case sits close beside. A pale grey plastic box sits in front, emitting a low whirring noise. Will you take to the controller or let yourself be taken over?

Games:
Note: The "Demo Disc" is not a physical disc (as amazing as that would be) as we don't have the time or resources to organise the can of worms that is monetization and physical production. We would need some sort of publisher to handle the money split and production if we were to sell a physical copy. There's also been some confusion over this, these games are all built on modern engines to evoke the feeling and aesthetic of late 90s games, the disk would not be able to run on any sort of hardware from the time. The demo disc is a free downloadable exe for Windows only. Supporting other operating systems would likely double or triple the work it took to organise the disc.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I rushed to try Dread Delusion which to me looked the most promising. The demo has lots of functions locked and it's timed (it fits the theme too, that's pretty cool) but damn if it isn't awesome already. I can't wait for the full thing, I hope the creator's patreon makes enough to get this completed!
dreaddelusion_2020_02slkxc.png
dreaddelusion_2020_02dnkix.png
dreaddelusion_2020_0283k24.png

Last edited:

Slateee

Neo Member
oh shit! I've been pretty much exclusive to PS1+2 my whole life but these gorgeously atmospheric games may be thing that forces me to start gaming on my PC...

learning about this kind of stuff is the reason I joined the neogaf!!

Last edited:

Slateee

Neo Member
:messenger_ok: PS1 Demo Disc = Not PS1, not a demo, not a disc
if only!!! although I feel like if I could find a way to run my computer into a CRT tv or monitor that it might feel authentic enough for me to trick myself into believing it is

Top Bottom