• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Relayer, a strategy RPG from Kadokawa, coming to PS4/PS5

Varteras

Gold Member
Relayer, the newly announced strategy RPG from Kadokawa Games, will be available for PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4, the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals. A release date was not announced.

A new space opera themed after space, mechs, and Greek mythology, Weekly Famitsu has a first look at the unique characters that appear in the game’s “deep story in which many powers collide,” as well as a look at the turn-based battle system in which the player pilots robots called “Stella Gear.”

The game is set in Stardate 2049. Humanity has encountered a mysterious extraterrestrial life-form called “Relayer.” And at the same time, mankind’s “Star Child” appeared, awakened to supernatural abilities. And three major military organizations get entangled in the power relationship between Relayer, Earth’s Government, and GTLabo.

More in the link!

Relayer_Famitsu_05-25-21_001-600x343.jpg

Relayer_Famitsu_05-25-21_002-600x371.jpg

Looks really neat. There's been a lack of mech games lately. I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

Varteras

Gold Member
Sorry if this is TMI, but as a huge fan of mecha (Xenogears), I just ..

Jizz-in-my-pants.gif
Lol for sure! These designs make me think of Gundam mixed with Xenogears. Really hope we get to see more of this game very soon. It also sounds like the developers are focusing on the PS5 version first. It's been announced for PS4 but they don't seem to be actively working on it.

ranmafan

Excited to see more from it. Looking forward to the full famitsu reveal tomorrow. Mecha and srpg is a perfect match for me. Plus I always enjoy Kadokawa Games titles. They always are enjoyable to me.

One thing I wonder though, since the GOD WARS team worked on it, I wonder what happened to the announced GOD WARS 2? Haven’t heard anything about that since it’s announcement that I actually got to see in person. Hopefully that’s still being worked on too.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
This is an interesting quote:

The magazine also has an interview with producer and director Yoshimi Yasuda. Here are the notable tidbits:

“Development is moving forward on PlayStation 5. We’re currently developing without thinking about PlayStation 4, so it will probably give us a hard time later. (Laughs.)”

Labadal

Excited to see more from it. Looking forward to the full famitsu reveal tomorrow. Mecha and srpg is a perfect match for me. Plus I always enjoy Kadokawa Games titles. They always are enjoyable to me.

One thing I wonder though, since the GOD WARS team worked on it, I wonder what happened to the announced GOD WARS 2? Haven’t heard anything about that since it’s announcement that I actually got to see in person. Hopefully that’s still being worked on too.
I was wondering about that, too. I was looking forward to it, but with the team working on this, God Wars 2 seems dead (imo).

ranmafan

I was wondering about that, too. I was looking forward to it, but with the team working on this, God Wars 2 seems dead (imo).
One interesting quote I read on one news site regarding this game and GOD WARS that came from the interview in Famitsu was that they are considered different types of games. GOD WARS a Tactical RPG and Relayer a Strategy RPG. Maybe that is good news for the possibility of GOD WARS 2 still being worked on if the consider them separate genres and all. I guess we will just have to wait and see, although I wouldn't be surprised if it became one of those usual never officially canceled but really are canceled Japanese games. Still its good to see this new game show up as well.

lachesis

Definitely interested in this. Hope they have some unique/different formula from SRW games... and also a good storyline.

Fbh

Seem interesting, hopefully they show gameplay soon.

Keep your expectations about visuals and production values in check though. Keep in mind this was their previous game:

Reactions: Isa

yurinka

Bloomberg told me Sony was done with Japanese developed exclusives, smaller sized exclusives and that was obssesed with a few of their top selling blockbuster exclusive IPs.

Mozzarella

I'm interested but my god why does it have to be Anime design? can't they just make the design like Sekiro? something a bit more cinematic. Or at least if you go the Anime route stick to the old school Anime art style, please no modern day shounen art style. I mean something closer to Legend of the Galactic Heroes or Gundam or NGE or Ghost in the Shell/Satoshi Kon. No Demon Slayer, Seven Deadly Sins, Attack on Titan art style.
Modern Anime art is just generic and boring, its full of waifu baits and loli design. The old style is much more better and more mature imo.

Last edited:

Pejo

Keep your expectations about visuals and production values in check though. Keep in mind this was their previous game:
Kinda off topic, but boy do I hate when there are multiple videos on a Steam store page and less than 20 seconds of gameplay among all of them them. Why are devs so against putting gameplay videoes for their games???

Varteras

Gold Member
I'm interested but my god why does it have to be Anime design? can't they just make the design like Sekiro? something a bit more cinematic. Or at least if you go the Anime route stick to the old school Anime art style, please no modern day shounen art style. I mean something closer to Legend of the Galactic Heroes or Gundam or NGE or Ghost in the Shell/Satoshi Kon. No Demon Slayer, Seven Deadly Sins, Attack on Titan art style.
Modern Anime art is just generic and boring, its full of waifu baits and loli design. The old style is much more better and more mature imo.
They probably figured that going with a modern anime design would increase its appeal, seeing as how that's what is popular right now. And since anime is more global now than it's ever been that design might also increase their chances of the game selling outside of Japan. I can deal with how the human characters look as long as the mechs and maybe these aliens they talk about look badass.

hopefully it doesn't look as cheap as God Wars. my expectations are Sunrider tier.
in other unrelated but still somewhat related news, Super Robot Wars GC was fully fan translated a few days ago.

ranmafan

Yeah it’s always best to keep expectations in check for Kadokawa games visuals especially. However one thing I like about them is they have some interesting gameplay mechanics in their games. For instance their game Natural Doctrine looked pretty bad and had a so so story. But wow was the gameplay in that so good. Brutal in difficulty and so unique in its gameplay. I’ll always defend that game for that. I’m hoping this game has some interesting gameplay twists too.

Reactions: Isa

kevm3

I was about to make a similar post. I really dislike 'modern anime' style art. Every guy is some lame pretty boy looking dude with long hair in a suit or trechcoat. GIve me something akin to Breath of Fire 3 art.

JohannCK

More details from the director/producer

This bit sounds particularly cool to me:

He is particularly proud of the visuals, saying that the staff did a fantastic job of fulfilling his requests. He gives two examples: One is how, depending on what weapons the ally and enemy mecha are equipping (such as both having the same type of sword), cutscenes with special attacks may play. Another example is where the difference in size between the player’s mecha and the enemy’s are massive, “like the difference between a human and Mount Fuji”. Yasuda says that the staff froze when he told them about this idea, but it was something that would be absolutely necessary for the story.

yurinka

I doubt Sony paid a dime for this exclusive.
Sony made a deal with Kadokawa where Sony got 2% of the Kadokawa shares in exhange of helping the Kadokawa anime and games to reach more global audiences, so it's fair to think that if Sony does it will be on their platforms. Jimbo said they are strenghtening bonds with Japanese devs, that are open for acquisitions and that PS5 will have more exclusives than their previous consoles.

And Sony won't only get Japanese exclusives from Kadokawa, in the 1st party side Sony has Japan Studio (now focused on its Team Asobi) and Polyphony plus Japanese second party games now being handled by the Sony team that was more successful handling 2nd party games (XDEV, the ones who handled the European 2nd party games), who now will handle all Sony global 2nd party games.

In the 3rd party side they will soon release Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown (on PS+ day one), Guilty Gear Strive, there's the rumored Final Fantasy spin-off by Team Ninja, Final Fantasy XVI, Final Fantasy XIV expansions, Final Fantasy VII Remake DLC an Episode 2, Forspoken, etc. And well, Platinum Games is still working on Babylon's Fall.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I LOVE space opera shows like Gundam and Legend of the Galactic Heroes and this game gives me same feeling so I'm honestly very hype for this.

Last edited:

Esca

Looking forward to like 15 mins of uninterrupted gameplay to see if I'm buy it

Last edited:

kevm3

Are there any environmental interactions like elevated terrain or items that get in the way like buildings or are all the battles just flat and unobstructed grids?

Top Bottom