• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie was the best part of the Game Awards 2019.

iconmaster

Banned

I honestly believe Reggie really possesses the passion and insight on display here. Tremendous speech, and it gave me new appreciation for the importance of indie developers.

I think returning to the Game Awards to deliver this message demonstrates Reggie was not simply a corporate mouthpiece. No one made him do this; he did it because he wanted to do it.

-Arcadia-

Banned
While I get what you’re saying, we also had next-gen debut there, so I’m not quite sure Reggie wins this fight.

I missed his speech, so I’ll have to go back and watch this part. Generally, I think Reggie is a good dude, and his time with Nintendo rubbed off on him for the better as well.

The PR man criticism isn’t off-the-mark, but there’s more to Reggie than that, and that’s why people like him.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I enjoyed the Muppets, goose references and Xbox reveal more.

But I do like Reggie.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I like Reggie but to me best moments are always going to be announcements of games I'm looking forward or didn't expected, it why I watch these shows in the first place and in this year VGA for me it was Bravely Default II.

I'm looking forward to both No More Heroes 3 and Ghost of Tsushima but I expected proper gameplay trailer at this point.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Reggie's was the best "speech," for sure. You can tell he still gets emotional when talking about Iwata. Those two had an amazing dynamic that I'm not sure we'll ever see again in the industry.

reggie-iwata-running-at-each-other.gif

Definitely the best speech of the show, yes. Reggie is one of the modt likeable people in the industry. Iwata was, too. Only ones I can think of else are Aonuma and Spencer.

Pejo

Yea he was pretty good. I also thought that girl that did the pre-show and one of the awards was pretty good as a host. No cheeseball stuff, but she sounded like she knew most of the things she was talking about instead of trying to ramble off a bunch of nonsense words that she never heard before.

Well except the eSports stuff, which I can't blame her for.

The Game Awards is still in the middle grounds where they sometimes treat it like a real awards show, and then sometimes treat it as a big fucking joke, like the whole "mirage" segment and the muppets. I was hoping that the show would grow up with Geoff, but it still has the stupid shit. For the record, I also wouldn't mind if the show embraced stupid bullshit and didn't take itself so seriously, but they always just go for this middle ground thing.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
best part was seeing Kojima and the whole crew chilling all together. was like a nice IRL reunion after beating DS.

second best part was Elon Musk awkwardly thinking the crowd is going to do a standing ovation for Grimes or something. maybe he was just high af.

Fbh

Never been a fan of him but yeah I think he was good. I think this is what a "video games award" show should have more of, well known and respected members of the industry that actually have something to say about the award they are presenting.

Give me more of this and less celebrities and rock bands and "I'll just quickly read out the winners of like 5 different awards before the commercial break!!".

I said it in the OT but here Regie starts by talking about how games are bigger than movies, music and TV and yet who did they bring to hand out the biggest award of the show?... Vin Diesel

Ryu Kaiba

Reggie was excellent. The man has quite a way with words. He brought so much dignity and maturity to the stage it almost felt like a legit award show for a moment there.
His voice and composure are so strong that some people like brap brap assume he's disingenuous but that's really how he is.

Also this:

Last edited:
Top Bottom